Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I don't want to sound harsh, but does anyone know if we (or other professional football clubs) conduct some sort of IQ tests as part of the transfer process?

When I watch Fred play, I see a footballer who certainly has the technical ability to play at a higher level, but his overall judgement and decision making lets him down in-game frequently.

If clubs don't test this kind of thing, I think it is worth exploring as surely a player with a higher IQ will be easier to coach and manage, not to mention they will be able to adapt to the game around them better.

Eddy_JukeZ

He's just so erratic as a player.

We need a holding midfielder. Matic is finished IMO and I don't know if you can trust Fred there.

Pace Abuser

Lacks composure and calm which leads to all kinds of panic and mistakes. You can't coach a calm head. In the pressure moments you simply have it or you don't.

Based Adnan

He's just a very thick player. Always abandons shape and commits himself and his passing is erratic at best. Think we'll struggle in midfield if he's going to get significant minutes this season.

Red_toad

Lacks composure and calm which leads to all kinds of panic and mistakes. You can't coach a calm head. In the pressure moments you simply have it or you don't.
You can gain calmness through experience, it’s not a case of you have it or not, you can learn it. Fred looks like he’s new to the role and it’ll come with time.

Zoo

I thought he was okay. Matic next to him was non-existent.

passing-wind

Pure rubbish, he's 27 next year is he supposed to suddenly morph into Modric over night ? Im all for giving players time to adapt but the key is that they progress as they advance. We have seen this development with Lindlelov, De Gea etc they return the investment of time.

We could play Fred every game for two years and he will still be completely useless. It's embarrassing, we are going into a season with Pereria (who was garbage last season) and Fred as pivotal midfield players. We cannot go into next season asking for Pogba to play a 11/10 every week to carry this disgraceful midfield, we need a minimum of two central midfielders in the space of two weeks otherwise we are in trouble.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Pure rubbish, he's 27 next year is he supposed to suddenly morph into Modric over night ? Im all for giving players time to adapt but the key is that they progress as they advance. We have seen this development with Lindlelov, De Gea etc they return the investment of time.

We could play Fred every game for two years and he will still be completely useless. It's embarrassing, we are going into a season with Pereria (who was garbage last season) and Fred as pivotal midfield players. We cannot go into next season asking for Pogba to play a 11/10 every week to carry this disgraceful midfield, we need a minimum of two central midfielders in the space of two weeks otherwise we are in trouble.
Who gives a feck how old he is next year? He turned 26 a few months ago (March).

Why have you failed to even mention McTominay who will rightfully start for us next season.

Fred is too inconsistent it seems but not 'pure rubbish'

passing-wind

Who gives a feck how old he is next year? He turned 26 a few months ago (March).

Why have you failed to even mention McTominay who will rightfully start for us next season.

Fred is too inconsistent it seems but not 'pure rubbish'
Mctomminay was one of the best players in the starting 11 under Solskjaer last season. He wasn't world class but among the shower of dross he's made himself immune to criticism on the premise of his performances. He comfortably replaced a drearysome Matic and will likely rotate in that defensive midfield position this season.

Just do what I call the "is he good enough for the club test" I've done the same with Jones / Pereria. You name one club in the top 11 of our domestic league who would benefit with Fred's influence ?

Fred is consistently pure rubbish and inconsistently a useful player.

Last edited:

Bwuk

The worst big money signing of all time?

50m for a woeful squad player.

The worst big money signing of all time?

50m for a woeful squad player.
If and when we sell him he will be the player we lose the most amount of money on. I can’t imagine anyone paying more than £15m for him, that’s a £37m loss! He is poor at most things, and not good at anything - he’s an absolute nothing player. Given he had such a shit season, he then arranges to miss half the pre season to marry the same woman he married last year - hardly the best way to endear yourself to the manager/ fans/ your team mates.

Pace Abuser

You can gain calmness through experience, it’s not a case of you have it or not, you can learn it. Fred looks like he’s new to the role and it’ll come with time.
At 26 he's not learning the type of composure that stops him playing like a headless chicken rushing everything in a blind panic. That's who he is. That's how he plays.
Is 26 the new 17 at United, with Lingy being a kid and Fred granted berth to gain experience in a new role?

Arguably every role is important, but DM makes or breaks your whole team and it requires bucket loads of the one thing Fred is completely bypassed by, a calm head.
City fell to pot without Fernandinho the season gone and both Leicester and Chelsea won the league one after the other with Kante being the common denominator. We want to entrust Fred with that role, while hoping he gains experience of calmness and brains when he's never shown anything in his career to warrant that belief in him?

jackal&hyde

I don't want to sound harsh, but does anyone know if we (or other professional football clubs) conduct some sort of IQ tests as part of the transfer process?

When I watch Fred play, I see a footballer who certainly has the technical ability to play at a higher level, but his overall judgement and decision making lets him down in-game frequently.

If clubs don't test this kind of thing, I think it is worth exploring as surely a player with a higher IQ will be easier to coach and manage, not to mention they will be able to adapt to the game around them better.
It's lack of confidence and nerves. He had no such problems at Shakhtar Donetsk no matter how good the opposition (in the CL).

NoPace

He was shocking again. Seems like the best course of action might be loaning him to a decent side in another league with a hole at CM and hoping he plays well enough to be sold for a decent sum next year.

ReallyUSA

He was shocking again. Seems like the best course of action might be loaning him to a decent side in another league with a hole at CM and hoping he plays well enough to be sold for a decent sum next year.
Didn't he come off holiday? After getting married?

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Just doesn't get it. Watch Spur's goal again. He has absolutely no clue what to do defensively in his own defensive third. Positions himself horribly for the initial phase of play - then half-asses his recovery and then offers a pathetic attempt at a defensive header in the box - all in all causing a goal/significant chance for them. He's brilliant at winning the ball for us high up in the opposition's half though.

That is why - in our new system of play - he should be played in a midfield three with Pogba and Scott.

Now I only say that because there's no chance in hell I would want to see Andreas in any serious football match for us. We have no other midfielders to pick from apart from Fred/Andreas accompanying Scott/Pogba.

In Rainbows

He has nice moments, but he just has too many moments where his touch fails him or he goes a bad pass. That is not what is needed in midfield. Put Gomes in his place and he'll churn out better performances because Gomes is that much more calm and consistent in everything he does.

Fred provides some energy like Herrera, but even Herrera was more consistent in his skill.

He must be easy to play against. You know he's going to dilly-dally on the ball.Close him down quick and you've pretty much done your work on him,partially due to his lack of awareness.
He's not technically nimble or quick footed either,so he's not going to get out of tight spaces, and he hardly has much physical presence.
It's like we've brought Djemba Djemba all over again.

Andersons Dietician

He must be easy to play against. You know he's going to dilly-dally on the ball.Close him down quick and you've pretty much done your work on him,partially due to his lack of awareness.
He's not technically nimble or quick footed either,so he's not going to get out of tight spaces, and he hardly has much physical presence.
I disagree I mean in the previous game he showed he can get himself out of tight spaces and he’s beaten people and moved away from them countless times last season. Physical presence he looks to me like he has a severe case of wee man syndrome as he always seems up for a battle and he often comes away with the ball when he does against much bigger opponents.

As for dilly dallying kind of agree but I think in part it’s because he is constantly shifting angles and expecting changes of quick passing where Pogba and Matic don’t really move to create passing options for him.

I’m excited to see how he gets on this season when hopefully our play is much quicker with more movement all around. Think if he can get rid of the prone to error thing he’ll do well.

ravi2

He really does remind me of djemba djemba, except he cost an obsene amount for a squad player.

I disagree I mean in the previous game he showed he can get himself out of tight spaces and he’s beaten people and moved away from them countless times last season. Physical presence he looks to me like he has a severe case of wee man syndrome as he always seems up for a battle and he often comes away with the ball when he does against much bigger opponents.

As for dilly dallying kind of agree but I think in part it’s because he is constantly shifting angles and expecting changes of quick passing where Pogba and Matic don’t really move to create passing options for him.

I’m excited to see how he gets on this season when hopefully our play is much quicker with more movement all around. Think if he can get rid of the prone to error thing he’ll do well.
I dont know,man.I'm really not confident about Fred.
We'll see I guess.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
His conditioning explains the performances. I will like to see more before I make my decision - the technical quality is there for all to see; the erratic behaviour may well be about lack of match fitness rather than mental strength or intelligence. Though his time at United has been woeful, needs to step up this season.

DoomSlayer

His conditioning explains the performances. I will like to see more before I make my decision - the technical quality is there for all to see; the erratic behaviour may well be about lack of match fitness rather than mental strength or intelligence. Though his time at United has been woeful, needs to step up this season.
Fred has to be an undisputed starter at our club for the money we paid. He was arguably the biggest flop of the league last season and hasn't shown anything different so far.

It's insane how much money we have wasted recently on the likes of Sanchez, Fred, Matic and Lukaku. :houllier:

Hughes35

Fred has to be an undisputed starter at our club for the money we paid. He was arguably the biggest flop of the league last season and hasn't shown anything different so far.

It's insane how much money we have wasted recently on the likes of Sanchez, Fred, Matic and Lukaku. :houllier:
Don't forget Darmian, Bailly, Mata and Fellani. Our recent transfers have been dreadful. I do think Fred is the worst signing in recent years though (Maybe ever?) which is quite an achievement. He should be very proud.

AP88

Supports
Man City
He’s woeful. Has a certain level of obvious skill, but no idea at all how to apply it in a conventional 11-a-side match - he’s like the midfield version of Eric Bailly.

I’d be throwing him into the Longstaff deal to entice Newcastle; the rest of the league might not have noticed how bad he is yet, they’d get a positionally like-for-like replacement so late in the the window, and they’ve just signed Joelinton so they can feel like a big club with two (mediocre) Brazilian signings.

Litch

Not sure how I feel about him but I do know signing for this team and showing your qualities is an impossible task since SAF. We have a growing lists of complete flops and an equally long list with question marks against their names. We have players here for nearly 10 years who'd many consider as a flop. I honestly don't know how anyone can assess him against the backdrop of his short time here when they are still trying to work out others who have been here a lot longer.....

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He hasn’t been good but let’s face it, he’s much better option than Matic. Matic was shocking last season, lazy & ball watching.

I have no issue giving Fred a 2nd chance. I think he can come useful. I get that his style is too erratic and easily get panicked but he has the quality and all he needs is just be more composed to utilise his technical ability.

We bought him to use his mobility & his ability to play from the back. Let’s see if he can fulfil the expectation this season.

Kostov

Not sure how I feel about him but I do know signing for this team and showing your qualities is an impossible task since SAF. We have a growing lists of complete flops and an equally long list with question marks against their names. We have players here for nearly 10 years who'd many consider as a flop. I honestly don't know how anyone can assess him against the backdrop of his short time here when they are still trying to work out others who have been here a lot longer.....
It’s pretty fecking easy mate, you watch him play football. Have you watched Fred and thought, yeah this is a 50m midfielder? Like feck he is.

Trophy Room

To minimise the in-game mistakes Fred makes, he has to take his training to a completely new level. Missing 2 weeks of training for a wedding he could’ve had during the holidays shows a total lack of forethought or commitment. Disappointing. He is not short of talent imo.

rotherham_red

Lindelof looked out of his depth until the Juve game in October. I'd give Fred the benefit of the doubt. If by the end of the season he hasn't progressed, then it would be time to look into getting him out of the club, but until then just wait and see and take it a game at a time

Dante

Average bang
There's a player in there.

I can understand the Caf's doubts, because he doesn't show it often enough. He didn't help himself with the Tottenham performance, though. That was as bad as it gets. I hope it was just ring rust, because he's going to be important for us this season.

Litch

It’s pretty fecking easy mate, you watch him play football. Have you watched Fred and thought, yeah this is a 50m midfielder? Like feck he is.
Matter of opinion I guess, time will tell. Not sure what the monies got to do with it anyway? When did what we pay people equate to their value anyway? Like said whether good enough or not, I'm not sure last year was best time to assess anyone as they came into a club that for 80% of last season was toxic. Fred played his best in our hardest games, I use that as my barometer for now....

Status
Not open for further replies.