6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanchez7

He has played ridiculous amount of games in the last month. Deserves a rest but we literally have no depth in midfield.

Brophs

The One and Only
I thought he did well, particularly considering Matic wasn’t really giving him anyone to play off.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He was pretty bad today, but still arguably deserved to be our MotM. Says more about the rest though. He's not good enough (and never will be) to dominate midfield on his own, but he can be a part of a working midfield unit.

Easily our best player today. He's becoming very good, but he needs movement around. Every time he gets the ball he's having to hold on to it waiting for Matic to catch up.

DoomSlayer

One man show in a midfield that consisted of 2 useless players around him. I felt sorry for Fred because he gave 200% on the pitch today, the only player that I can say had a very good game.

El Zoido

His performances are miraculous considering the dross surrounding him.

manunited1919

Arsenal seemed to target him for pressure the first half, and I think it worked as he misplaced a few passes and was not at his best. But he was much better the second half when Arsenal were in their own half.

What I’m most afraid is that we are overusing Fred. We need to rest him but can’t affordto do it. If he gets injured, we’ll be like a ship in mid ocean without engines with a storm coming in.

edit: oh wait, maybe we gave Phil Jones a new contract so he can cover in midfield for when we burn out the remaining midfielders.

Last edited:

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's really picked up his mental RPM. That little bit of 10% required between an average midfielder and a good midfielder. The ability to consistently get the ball, make the right touches to keep it in possession and quickly pull off a good forward pass is undervalued. Average midfielders usually cannot combine those 3 elements consistently and successfully. Fred usually failed 2 out of those 3 elements earlier on with us because his brain just wasn't in sync with the pace of the game

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Not good, but one of our best. Tried to make things happen but people didn't trust him enough to pass it to him while keeping the tempo high. Everybody kept dragging the tempo down, Fred didn't.

gza the genius

I thought he did well considering he had Matic walking around and Lingard hiding behind midfielders as his main passing options. He's probably not the long term answer but he's the least of our problems currently.

Fosu-Mens

For the larger part of his game when we were on the ball, he found good positions and passed accurately and efficiently. Some brainfarts and not really a contributor in the final third, and he surely wonders why he is the one taking set-pieces.

If he can pass like that regularly, and contain rather than try to win the ball in transition phases, he could play in a starting role for a team competing for something.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Said it last night but I thought he was the best player on the pitch. He dominated the 2nd half and was everywhere. A few ropey free kicks but that doesn't degrade from the overall performance.

Arsenal just pressed us like mad in the first half but he was the only one taking responsilbity and trying to get us up the pitch. He played a beautiful through ball to Rashford who proceeded to wait until the defender got close instead of attacking him.

People saying he was bad? I just don't get it.

OldTrevil

He was good but let down by most around him. At times it felt like a one-man midfield, with Matic occasionally providing help and Lingard non existent. The less said about our defense the better, and up front it was only Martial that was up for the challenge.

dev1l

He was good but let down by most around him. At times it felt like a one-man midfield, with Matic occasionally providing help and Lingard non existent. The less said about our defense the better, and up front it was only Martial that was up for the challenge.
Midfield was the real issue. The way we play you need three hardworking players over there. Unfortunately we ended up with Fred facing all Arsenal midfield all alone.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Thought he was the only player to come out with any credit last night.
Spot on.

If some of the others had put the effort in Fred did we'd have got something from the game. He's been one of very few positives this season. I thought he was a dud 4 months ago but he's really starting to show he's got something about him.

Spot on.

If some of the others had put the effort in Fred did we'd have got something from the game. He's been one of very few positives this season. I thought he was a dud 4 months ago but he's really starting to show he's got something about him.
Ditto, although I thought he showed plenty versus Arsenal away so I've had some hope for him since then. Didn't expect him to be the guys with the most heart and workrate in the team though, that has blown me away.

We could do with a lot more Freds in our side.

RedNed77

He’s basically an injury waiting to happen at the moment. The amount of work and running he has to get through in a game when paired with Matic is just not sustainable for any length of time.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I dont rate him particularly highly but him doing the running for practically two players last night would feck up the best of players.

MAME DIOUF 32

Not great last night but still our best player by a mile. I'm putting his late mistake that almost led to a goal and his awful free kick down to tiredness.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Once invisible player, now above anyone in the squad, with tons of workrate, pace and tenacity. Appreciated.

OldTrevil

Midfield was the real issue. The way we play you need three hardworking players over there. Unfortunately we ended up with Fred facing all Arsenal midfield all alone.
I agree that midfield is the main issue, but none of our defenders, excluding AWB who was hang out to dry against double teams all match, covered themselves in glory. The first goal for example, Maguire is slow to react and leaves Kolasinac onside for the cutback, and then Lindelof puts in a weak attempt to block the ball and his misskick ends up into a back-flipped assist for Arsenal. The second goal is mainly a mistake by Rashford for failing to track and challenge Lacazette who runs past him from behind, but Lindelof should have been in Rashy's ear shouting to track the guy on the move. Shaw continued his underwhelming performances at LB, him and our two CBs haven't convinced me all season, and have been shaky with constant individual mistakes. We need to reinforce in midfield for sure, but also give a go to other defenders like Axel, Williams, Bailly to try and find a better backline.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Think Fred can hold his head high. He showed heart and tried to make things happen.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Unbelievable praise being heaped on a player who is nothing more than bang average. Shows where the bar is at!
It’s also unbelievable how some people can’t acknowledge his improvement and see his obvious quality, heart and effort. If he keeps improving he will be some player.

my biggest concern with him is injury. Our midfield would be loads weaker without his contributions.

Based Adnan

I like his willingness to always show for the ball but he's far too sloppy and gets bypassed in midfield too easily.

DoomSlayer

He's turned into a fantastic player. Huge credit to him. Also never gives up and has an unbelievable engine.

Rajma

He’s totally knackered runs on adrenaline basically. Gonna pull a hammy in a game or two as we have no vover and he’s been playing nonstop.

ManRed

Good first half, sloppy in the second. Honestly he was the only midfielder we had playing.

Foxbatt

I like his willingness to always show for the ball but he's far too sloppy and gets bypassed in midfield too easily.
What do you expect? He is a one man midfield vs 5 city midfield players. I was really amazed as at one point he was the one defending in our box and then pressing their defenders in their box.

Status
Not open for further replies.