View full 2019-20 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Along with Pogba probably the only player we have who would get into the City and Liverpool teams.

Copa Mundial

I've not been his greatest fan, but credit where its due, I thought he was excellent tonight (bar the free kick). His work rate in particular was exceptional (especially when down to 10). He's got a great engine.

He's becoming the unsung hero of the team that does all the hard graft and donkey work which so often goes unnoticed. The lad is slowly winning me over.

predator

Youth NITK
Excellent. He is getting better and better without doubt. I cant wait to see him and bruno and pogba together. Nit only is he technically great but he seems mentally strong too.

Very pleased and hope his form continues.

simplyared

Thought he was class again tonight. Really good on the ball, has a swagger about him. Buzzes around and string challenger. I think he’s a quality midfielder now and an official first teamer even when everyone’s back
Paul Scholes wouldn't agree with you about "quality midfielder" Reckon if anyone recognizes a mf with qualities he should!

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Why is this place so obsessed with attacking play? No other club judges their DMs on what they do in the oppositions box but we do it to every DM we have.
Rodri, Fabinho, Kante are no better and if they are its not by much but we have a DM playing out of his skin yet is getting back handed compliments everywhere i look.
His form is making Matic look phenomenal, Scott looks like a star beside him.
Its not a coincidence
He’s not really a holding midfielder. He’s usually in a double pivot at worst. You have to be able to offer something in that role in the final third, even just the discipline to offer a safe sideways pass. Fred can’t even do that though. The coaching staff need to get hold of him.

I’m not particularly judging him on goals and assists, but I am going to lambast him for the sheer volume of 2 percenters he takes and gives away the ball. We’ve failed to score in four of our last seven league games and Fred’s woeful decisions are a massive part of that.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Assists all season: 0
Goals since he joined us: 0
Making him motm today is a fecking joke!
He has scored for us though hasn’t he... and the fact youre digging him out for not scoring or assisting enough is ridiculous.

that's not his job.

gza the genius

Some of the opinions in this thread are insane. Fred has been one of our best and most consistent players this season and wouldn’t look out of place in midfield for most sides. His job is not to score or assist so judging him on his ability to do so doesn’t make any sense. He’s not being played where Lingard/Periera play for a reason, because he’s not that type of player. He could/should obviously improve in those areas but to say he’s not a good player based only on that criteria is completely unfair.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Fred is great and has come on leaps and bounds season and turned into a proper midfielder. I thought he was great again today.

It is baffling though how he loses seemingly ALL his normal ability as soon as he gets near the opposition box... His touch, his shooting, his passing... It just turns to shit.

Paul Scholes wouldn't agree with you about "quality midfielder" Reckon if anyone recognizes a mf with qualities he should!
If you've ever heard him speak about football it's quite clear Scholes has absolutely no idea why he was so incredibly good at it.

Bobski

His work-rate and disruptive qualities are exceptional. You could compare him to guys like Matuidi, Kante and Henderson for the platform he provides, unexpected improvement from him this year. Fred and McTominay as a screen with Fernandes providing support and a goal threat with the CB's taking on a lot of the distribution duties.

Starting to see the shape of the team Ole wants. Pogba will go, amazing talent, but hard to find a perfect role for him.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Having said that I was actually very pleased with Fred today... Couple of times it looked like he was going to take on a stupid shot and he didn't and played the pass instead... I thought, "here we go... Progress"

Turns out he was just building up to his masterpiece free kick :lol:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Phenomenal. Amongst the best handful of midfielders in the league. He has more to come too. He has offensive qualities, but seems to have a mental block. He’s being trusted by his teammates and coaches to take free kicks for a reason, and tbh, I’ve seen him hit a couple of brilliant ones before, particularly one against Wolves last season that hit the angle.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Being a "workhorse" is not enough my friend. Those players you mention acheive a lot more than Fred does on a football pitch.
The fact you boil contribution solely to goal or assist shows you don't really understand football

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Some of the opinions in this thread are insane. Fred has been one of our best and most consistent players this season and wouldn’t look out of place in midfield for most sides. His job is not to score or assist so judging him on his ability to do so doesn’t make any sense. He’s not being played where Lingard/Periera play for a reason, because he’s not that type of player. He could/should obviously improve in those areas but to say he’s not a good player based only on that criteria is completely unfair.
He’s had 33 shots in the league without scoring, second most out of anyone. If he doesn’t want to be judged on goalscoring then he should make better decisions with the ball and stop shooting when the position and his ability strongly suggest he won’t score. Next we’ll have people maintaining that we shouldn’t judge him on his set pieces when he keeps insisting on taking them to poor effect.

If Fred learnt to simply pass sideways every time he thinks about shooting, he would improve himself dramatically.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Being a "workhorse" is not enough my friend. Those players you mention acheive a lot more than Fred does on a football pitch.
The grass is greener. Lots of people are taking notice of Fred’s good performance recently.

LJJT

Yeah fair enough but I think he’s actually pretty decent now. Not the hopeless laughing stock he once was. He’s a good player.

gza the genius

He’s had 33 shots in the league without scoring, second most out of anyone. If he doesn’t want to be judged on goalscoring then he should make better decisions with the ball and stop shooting when the position and his ability strongly suggest he won’t score. Next we’ll have people maintaining that we shouldn’t judge him on his set pieces when he keeps insisting on taking them to poor effect.

If Fred learnt to simply pass sideways every time he thinks about shooting, he would improve himself dramatically.
I 100% agree that he needs to shoot significantly less but I also don’t really think that because he shoots too much that it makes him a terrible player or that he hasn’t improved massively since he arrived.

A-man

His work-rate and disruptive qualities are exceptional. You could compare him to guys like Matuidi, Kante and Henderson for the platform he provides, unexpected improvement from him this year. Fred and McTominay as a screen with Fernandes providing support and a goal threat with the CB's taking on a lot of the distribution duties.

Starting to see the shape of the team Ole wants. Pogba will go, amazing talent, but hard to find a perfect role for him.
I can agree with this, but at the same time he loses the ball too often and in dangerous situations. If he can improve this I would be very happy with him.

mu4c_20le

Assists all season: 0
Goals since he joined us: 0
Making him motm today is a fecking joke!
Know who else has 0 assists all season? N'Golo Kante. Fred would've had an assist or at the very least a second assist today if his teammates didn't end up making poor decisions in the final third.

Lost bear

Yeah fair enough but I think he’s actually pretty decent now. Not the hopeless laughing stock he once was. He’s a good player.
I love Fred now. I also feel that Scholes, though a great player, is a miserable sod as a pundit...

sammyhol

He is a real player... 3 months of consistent performances now. Great energy, takes the ball on the turn, good pass selection, knows when to play it simple, knows when to probe, put his counter-parts under pressure constantly, makes countless interceptions.... Everything your want in a deep midfielder...

Just someone, please oh please oh please stop him from shooting, both from free kicks and open play!

Andersons Dietician

At times he pulls off some bits of absolute magic. He beat the city press a few times today with lovely turns or just even lifting the ball slightly and moving. The workrate though is 2nd to none. for once as well that fee kick actually looked like just maybe it would have caused an issue if it cleared the wall. Normally just balloons them in to row z.

Bwuk

He’s the work horse. How many does Fernandinho or Fabinho score or assist?
He isn’t half the player Fernandinho or Fabinho are imo.

He’s got a great work rate, but he can be sloppy with possession, and isn’t a creator or a DM.

If everyone was fit he shouldn’t be starting.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Fred is great and has come on leaps and bounds season and turned into a proper midfielder. I thought he was great again today.

It is baffling though how he loses seemingly ALL his normal ability as soon as he gets near the opposition box... His touch, his shooting, his passing... It just turns to shit.
You're completely right, but because we don't have the midfield personnel we have to give him freedom to roam that he shouldn't have.

Now, we have Bruno. Fred absolutely has to become a completely disciplined, defensive midfielder who merely supplies the ball to more creative players. Surely it's time for that to happen.

Lebowski

Reading some people rate him as among the best in the league and some others lambast him as useless, I love that football these days produces such divisive extremes. Especially when it comes unglamorous midfielders. Rarely can a player be just decent, they're either the best thing since sliced bread or dogshit.

For whatever it's worth I'm delighted with his improvement this season but I still don't exactly know what he's good at besides working hard. He's gone up levels and proved a lot of people wrong, but I'd still put him in the category of decent for where we are now but not good enough to start for a side with aspirations of winning the league. That being said, you could say that about a dozen of his teammates and we're years off winning the league, so maybe hardworking combative midfielder who lacks a bit of quality is fine for now.

marktan

The Anderson special. At times the way he glides reminds me of Ando attacking the space. Lad couldn't shoot for shit either.

Thankfully though where Ando liked pies Fred seems to like running.

AR87

You're completely right, but because we don't have the midfield personnel we have to give him freedom to roam that he shouldn't have.

Now, we have Bruno. Fred absolutely has to become a completely disciplined, defensive midfielder who merely supplies the ball to more creative players. Surely it's time for that to happen.
Don't think adding Bruno changes Fred's role. Bringing Pogba in for Matic would though.

Adam-Utd

He isn’t half the player Fernandinho or Fabinho are imo.

He’s got a great work rate, but he can be sloppy with possession, and isn’t a creator or a DM.

If everyone was fit he shouldn’t be starting.
He’s a bit of everything, a jack of all trades.

his high work rate and stamina are invaluable for these type of matches, you can see as everybody else slows down he keeps going. He’s a Duracell bunny.

gza the genius

I think this is a lot of the issue. He gets the ball and the player in front of him is either Periera or Lingard. Fred is doing things that I don’t think he normally would because we don’t have anyone else fit to do them. Hopefully with Bruno, and eventually Pogba, he can knock off all the long range shots etc.

Bwuk

He’s a bit of everything, a jack of all trades.

his high work rate and stamina are invaluable for these type of matches, you can see as everybody else slows down he keeps going. He’s a Duracell bunny.
I don’t see it. I see him as a hard worker, with a lot of energy but risky in possession and doesn’t hold shape in midfield well.

Adam-Utd

I don’t see it. I see him as a hard worker, with a lot of energy but risky in possession and doesn’t hold shape in midfield well.
His passing stats don’t suggest he’s risky at all.

At the start yes he was making errors but recently he’s been very solid. Everybody loses the ball against teams like city once in a while.

Bobski

The Anderson special. At times the way he glides reminds me of Ando attacking the space. Lad couldn't shoot for shit either.

Thankfully though where Ando liked pies Fred seems to like running.
If Ando was as fit as Fred he would still be at Utd.

Annihilate Now!

Scout

One problem is I think he thinks he's fecking brilliant at all the attacking stuff... Certainly shooting anyway

I've never seen a bigger disparity between someone's believed ability at something and there actually ability at it since... Well... Ed Woodward.

Status
Not open for further replies.