6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpyLuke10

Fred best on ground yet again. Fernandes, Maguire and Shaw were good though. Mata was alright as well. Pereira was so shit though it killed our entire teams performance. Wasnt till we brought on Greenwood for him that we started to look way more threatening (Traore came off injured as well around the same time however).

Tarrou

Might be in the running for POTY if he keeps up this level, what with Rashford out now

Mr consistency this season, despite the calamity that surrounds him

Holters

Fred is turning into our own Kantè. He covers a lot of space and recovers the ball at crucial moments. His distribution is a bit below par, but he actually tries the be direct and does a lot of forward passes. I don't think he is good enough for a world class team, but he's pulling his weight currently. Could work very well as the main "destroyer" in a team, while leaving the playmaking to others - kind of like Kantè.

Litch

While his work rate was admirable, I think this was a poorer game than usual from him as he kept losing his duels. Wolves' attackers are very quick and strong, and it seemed he really struggled with winning the ball from them 1v1.

I think he can't play as a sole DM until he gains more strength and improves his tackling and general ball-winning. 2nd balls in the PL are so important, one of the reasons we were able to sustain attacks today was because of Maguire's dominant performance when we lost the ball. We're going to need similarly dominant performances from our DM if we're to put teams under extended pressure regularly.

We don't really have any genuine ball-winners with superb tackling in the midfield, and that's a problem as IMO it contributes somewhat to our players' hesitant behaviour at times. It seems there's a constant fear of being counter-attacked and the defenders being exposed, a good ball-winner would go a long way to alleviating that fear.
Didn't lose his duels, often it's when he's attempting to cover when either someone lost theirs. You need to consider who was playing in the midfield along with him against a wolves midfield which is right up there with the best.

Ball winners.....how about we don't have any midfielders period at the mo. Fred literally is doing the work of two players plus consistently putting in MOTM performances.

Litch

Fred is turning into our own Kantè. He covers a lot of space and recovers the ball at crucial moments. His distribution is a bit below par, but he actually tries the be direct and does a lot of forward passes. I don't think he is good enough for a world class team, but he's pulling his weight currently. Could work very well as the main "destroyer" in a team, while leaving the playmaking to others - kind of like Kantè.
World class team? I'm questioning whether he's too good for us, who would have even contemplated that at the start of the season.....

Holters

World class team? I'm questioning whether he's too good for us, who would have even contemplated that at the start of the season.....
With world class team I'm referring to the level of Real Madrid and Liverpool - the level we should aspire to be at - not the level we're currently at.

Litch

With world class team I'm referring to the level of Real Madrid and Liverpool - the level we should aspire to be at - not the level we're currently at.
Sometimes you need to get the fundamentals right before you can aspire to anything else. Are you also telling me that that midfield team is full of world class talent? If Fred played in that team, there would be no drop off....

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'm becoming a fan of Fred. Think he's still got more in his locker.

Lentwood

Proper player now. I don’t think we’re talking about a “squad” player, I think Fred this season has shown exactly why Pep wanted him at City.

De Gea, Romero, Henderon
Shaw, Williams
AWB, Dalot
Maguire, Lindelof, Smalling, Bailly
Fred, McTominay, Matic, Fernandes

For me, you could finish 3rd with the “back half” of our team. The problem is the front half is diabolically bad. Barely better than relegation fodder

Adamsk7

For me, he’s now comfortably our best outfield player (although I’ve seen enough of Bruno in one game to know he’ll at least give him a run for his money and Maguire has been much better recently too). If he keeps this level up until the end of the season then I will have no issue saying he’s been my POTY. Admittedly the options are not many but still! Well done Fred.

simplyared

While his work rate was admirable, I think this was a poorer game than usual from him as he kept losing his duels. Wolves' attackers are very quick and strong, and it seemed he really struggled with winning the ball from them 1v1.

I think he can't play as a sole DM until he gains more strength and improves his tackling and general ball-winning. 2nd balls in the PL are so important, one of the reasons we were able to sustain attacks today was because of Maguire's dominant performance when we lost the ball. We're going to need similarly dominant performances from our DM if we're to put teams under extended pressure regularly.

We don't really have any genuine ball-winners with superb tackling in the midfield, and that's a problem as IMO it contributes somewhat to our players' hesitant behaviour at times. It seems there's a constant fear of being counter-attacked and the defenders being exposed, a good ball-winner would go a long way to alleviating that fear.
This is a spot on evaluation of what the player actually brings to the table and what is lacking. Not just in the Wolves game but in general this is true imv. To be successful in that role, playing for a top team there is still a lot to be desired. So many people on here getting carried away with his performances.

He'sRaldo

This is a spot on evaluation of what the player actually brings to the table and what is lacking. Not just in the Wolves game but in general this is true imv. To be successful in that role, playing for a top team there is still a lot to be desired. So many people on here getting carried away with his performances.
I wouldn't really say his performances have been overrated. It's just he isn't really a DM, he's a transitional midfielder. That's why he looks better playing next to Scott and Matic and they look better playing next to him as well, whereas when he played in a mid 2 with Pogba, it didn't work because neither have the qualities you're looking for in a dominant DM.

He can be very useful and play to a very high level if used in his proper role, but we haven't done that too often. For us, I'd say his best role is the link player in a 3 man midfield, in between Pogba and Scott. If he's asked to shield the back four and win the ball back in a way that we can sustain pressure in the opposition half, I'm not sure he'll be good enough for that.

Taking our injury situation into account, if he's played in a 3 with Bruno and Matic, I'm sure he'll look much better. Ole's married to the 4-2-3-1 though, so I don't think it will happen.

Last edited:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Might be in the running for POTY ... Mr consistency this season, despite the calamity that surrounds him
I agree. Thoroughly deserved it would be too.

Fred is turning into our own Kantè ... Could work very well as the main "destroyer" in a team, while leaving the playmaking to others
I agree. If he had Bruno and Pogba (or replacement)g in front and was literally assigned to screen the back 4 I think he could do a great job. He's clearly got a great attitude and work ethic and the selfless type that excels in that role.

Fred literally is doing the work of two players plus consistently putting in MOTM performances.
Great work ethic with an engine to match.

I'm becoming a fan of Fred. Think he's still got more in his locker.
Me too,and I also think he will keep growing now he feels more confident.

I think Fred this season has shown exactly why Pep wanted him at City.
Yeah, it's been great watching him develop and come into his own and it's great to see him buzzing about everywhere and spoiling the oppositions play and releasing the ball early. Sure, some of his passes go astray and his shooting hasn't been the best but I love they way he plays.

Marcelinho87

Very good case of why people need to be patient and stop instantly writing players off the minute they have a bad game.

Teja

Very good case of why people need to be patient and stop instantly writing players off the minute they have a bad game.
I think Conte is showing PL clubs a thing or two about their rejects as well. English fans are too knee-jerky, there are many reasons why a player might have dips in form, might not start off right after a big money transfer, new systems, new culture (both in footballing terms and personal terms), playing for a team that's not confident etc. etc.

The constant managerial turnaround doesn't really help either because now the player is an underperforming asset bought in by the previous guy and therefore you must get rid.

As we see with Wolves and Leicester, consistency is the key to success. The more you chase after quick fixes, the further you fall behind.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think Conte is showing PL clubs a thing or two about their rejects as well. English fans are too knee-jerky, there are many reasons why a player might have dips in form, might not start off right after a big money transfer, new systems, new culture (both in footballing terms and personal terms), playing for a team that's not confident etc. etc.

The constant managerial turnaround doesn't really help either because now the player is an underperforming asset bought in by the previous guy and therefore you must get rid.

As we see with Wolves and Leicester, consistency is the key to success. The more you chase after quick fixes, the further you fall behind.
Two bold parts are contradicting. Conte is doing quick fix using "PL rejects".

Btw none of the players Conte has signed from PL teams are written off too quickly. Lukaku was here for 2 seasons, Eriksen for 8 seasons, Young was probably 10 years, Moses is with Chelsea for around 6-7 years, Sanchez was with ManUtd for 1.5 years.

el3mel

Our MOTM by a country mile.

That was just incredible from every fecking perspective, up and down the pitch, he didn't stop even a single moment. Magnificent performance.

mewnew11

What a performance just runs his lungs out. Showing leadership on the field too.

Player of the Season so far

Kostur

海尔的老板
AWB was my MOTM but I'd say he was running second close. Shame it was only him who stood up to this cnut Rüdiger but it's highly appreciated.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Doesn't matter what anyone says, this guy is playing so good and gives hell of a time for any midfield. He is just relentless.

Zoo

Brilliant attitude - never stops working and will always fight for the cause.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Brilliant performance. Bonus points for being the only one to stand up for Tony when Chelsea were surrounding him for having the audacity of being taken out.

Ranie

Fred is fast becoming one of my favorite players. What a perfomance tonight! He was all over the pitch and good on the ball.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hes quality isnt he? Steps it up in big games too. Great to see. Instant understanding with Bruno Fernandes too IMO.

Bobski

Dude is a machine. It is insanely impressive the tempo he maintains, might be our best player right now in terms of simple volume of effective work. His tenacity and energy are a different level.

Status
Not open for further replies.