Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonzo1

One of the first names on the team sheet for Brazil, Must be brilliant for him. It's a shame really, individually we have some top players in midfield but unfortunately something just doesn't click for us so far. Both Pogba and Fred having fantastic tournaments.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Another good solid game for Brazil tonight in the copa vs Chile. He was involved in the build up to the goal. Finished 1-0.

Main talking point will be Jesus getting sent off for kicking out in an ugly challenge. He’s a bit of a nutter when he plays for Brazil. He’s not really like that in the PL or is he? I have to say I don’t really follow cities games apart form the bigger ones.

Last edited:

meamth

Brazilian first choice midfielder.

Fred is the epitome of modern day CM.

Put some respect on his name.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Not watched Brazil at all is he playing in a 2 like for United or as part of a midfield 3?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Happy for him, but the revisionism based on his NT performances is weird. His defensive work rate and pressing is really good but we all saw how bad he was on the ball this season barring occasional great through balls. No need to re-write that based on how he is playing during the Copa America.

It's a bit like Arsenal fans saying Xhaka has been a top PL midfielder and is awesome after his Euro's.

Nickelodeon

Surprised to see Fred being first choice for Brazil. How’s he doing? Is he pulling off a Pogba and killing it for his NT?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We are not learning anything new. He's a good player and will have outstanding games. But his carelessness on the ball and inability to receive the ball and pass quickly will sometimes kill your team.

Ali Dia

He’s our best central midfielder and by some distance. It’s crazy that people can’t see that but whatever. I’m not going to post stats or argue with anyone about Fred anymore. Deadly little player. We don’t need a dm to release Pogba. We need a proper partner for Fred in there.

Mcking

We need to get him a better partner. Having McTominay next to him means he won't be able to perform to his full potential. He is expected to do most of the defensive work, and also be the playmaker in our midfield. He has far too much responsibility, and it overwhelms him at times.

Apart from his reputation which isn't at an all-time high for now, the only reason so many consider him not good enough is because of how much he has played next to McTominay who frankly, offers next to nothing in terms of actual midfield play.

Get him a partner who is very good defensively, or one that does plenty of work on the ball while being disciplined enough to play in a two, or one that does both to an acceptable level, and I'm convinced everyone will get to see how good he is and form an opinion for themselves.

Andersons Dietician

inability to receive the ball and pass quickly will sometimes kill your team.
I don’t get this, if anything in midfield Fred is one of the better players for passing and moving quickly to receive a ball. Probably go as far to say only Mata and VDB are even close to him in that aspect.

Think people overblow that like 1 or 2 times he was caught with no one to pass to and we got hurt.

Ali Dia

I don’t get this, if anything in midfield Fred is one of the better players for passing and moving quickly to receive a ball. Probably go as far to say only Mata and VDB are even close to him in that aspect.

Think people overblow that like 1 or 2 times he was caught with no one to pass to and we got hurt.
These are usually the same heads crying about Pogba who was dispossessed a lot more than Bruno in quite a few less games. Getting dispossessed in defence or midfield is obviously a no no. It’s the basics of the game. Yes Fred cost us at times last season but beside McT and Pogba he’s having to run games, defend and go box to box by himself. He was also run into ground last season as one of our hardest working and ever present players. It’s way too much for just one player and his overall game is suffering for it.

False stuff I’ve seen written on here:
He costs us goals and gets dispossessed more than anyone else in the team.
He moves the ball too slowly
He can’t tackle : these are all Pogba in a nutshell
He doesn’t pass through the lines : Mct
He’s too one footed : Do you actually watch us play at all?

Genuinely he’s our only tempo setter and half competent tackler. He needs to be rested a bit more and get someone with composure in beside him to share the load and he’ll go up another level. We are asking too much of him currently.

Last edited:

Mcking

Certainly. He is our most accomplished midfielder in terms of actual midfield play. He has the occasional bouts of poor ball management, but more often than not, he gets into good positions to receive the ball, and handles it well.

This Fred situation to me is very similar to Shaw back then. Baffles me that people who have been watching football for a while and have eyes like I do can't see what I've been seeing. If we're going to continue with a midfield two, then he is the midfielder we should be backing. There aren't many midfielders that puts in as much defensive work as he does, while providing as much control.

Sometimes people are unable to form opinions on their own, and go by what other people are going with. I'm sure when the narrative around him changes a bit, everyone will come to accept him for the quality midfielder he is.

We are not learning anything new. He's a good player and will have outstanding games. But his carelessness on the ball and inability to receive the ball and pass quickly will sometimes kill your team.
That's the opposite of Fred. He's easily the best quick passer in our midfield. Where he struggles is when he receives the ball to find he has no immediate passing option. He's not hugely strong if he has to hold it, and sometimes he gets caught in two minds whether to take on a risky pass.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

That's the opposite of Fred. He's easily the best quick passer in our midfield. Where he struggles is when he receives the ball to find he has no immediate passing option. He's not hugely strong if he has to hold it, and sometimes he gets caught in two minds whether to take on a risky pass.
I disagree. Imo, he needs multiple touches of the ball to get it under control and pass, otherwise he's prone to getting dispossessed.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Happy for him, but the revisionism based on his NT performances is weird. His defensive work rate and pressing is really good but we all saw how bad he was on the ball this season barring occasional great through balls. No need to re-write that based on how he is playing during the Copa America.

It's a bit like Arsenal fans saying Xhaka has been a top PL midfielder and is awesome after his Euro's.
He’s just not appreciated enough by United fans. Social media influence also another factor on people’s view. One poor game and they forget the 10 good game, two poor games and they forget the 15 good game, and etc. He was also probably knackered since Matic doesn’t offer the same as rotation.

I have seen some arsenal fans also rated Xhaka, so there is also divided view about him.

meamth

How the heck can a professional has inability to receive the ball?? Boggles my mind the hyperbole in here.

OmarUnited4ever

What's Brazil formation and how is Fred deployed there?

I haven't watched any Copa America games as they are aired around 6AM-8AM in my geographical location.

Ali Dia

What's Brazil formation and how is Fred deployed there?

I haven't watched any Copa America games as they are aired around 6AM-8AM in my geographical location.
4 - 2 - 3- 1

He’s been a left sided box to box in beside Casemiro or Fabinho. He’s had some noticeable link up play with neymar. He’s been very progressive in his passing and always puts in a big defensive shift. Same as here but here he’s a one man midfield

Last edited:

Siezard

Almost any player who played midfield (centre) will make some catastrophic error that lead to goal. I think Fred has matured over the years and no doubt has become one of the best brazilians to ever play here.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
4 - 2 - 3- 1

He’s been a left sided box to box in beside Casemiro or Fabinho. He’s had some noticeable link up play with neymar. He’s been very progressive in his passing and always puts in a big defensive shift. Same as here but here he’s a one man midfield
I fixed it for you. Fabinho only played once with Fred. It’s been Fred and Casemiro this year. Fabinho is only bench warmer in that Brazilian team now.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I’m sure the purpose of Fred’s signing was to get the best out of Pogba in 433 with Matic by Mourinho. For some reason it didn’t work out under Mourinho. Although the player also needed time too to adapt the PL’s style.

Ali Dia

Take off Fabinho. He only played once with Fred. It’s been Fred and Casemiro this year. Fabinho is only bench warmer in that Brazilian team now.
Fred has been better than Fabinho this year. Typical Caf making out like Fabinho is obviously miles better. He’s just a workhorse with decent passing

I’m sure the purpose of Fred’s signing was to get the best out of Pogba in 433 with Matic by Mourinho. For some reason it didn’t work out under Mourinho. Although the player also needed time too to adapt the PL’s style.
We go again (and again and again)

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Fred has been better than Fabinho this year. Typical Caf making out like Fabinho is obviously miles better. He’s just a workhorse with decent passing

We go again (and again and again)
You really think Mourinho spent 40m and 47m on two midfielders not for purpose to get the best out of Pogba? Whether it works or not, the point is it was the manager’s initial intention.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
What a stupid thing to say, do you even watch our games? He's by far the fastest player to move the ball forward, always available for a pass, never hides like McTominay, and some neat quick passing in between the lines too in very quick pace, if there was a metronome he's the one. His first touch is also very good too, occassionaly he can have a heavy touch like any player but mostly the ball under close control and very decent in tight spaces, combining with Shaw, Pogba. Again day and night to McTominay who has every second heavy touch only to lose ball so many times. But the thing is try to be absolutely crucial ball winner and presser like Fred running the most KMs and sprints covering for your players all game all season and then not to have a heavy touch.

His job is to win the ball as soon as possible, cover for teammates, put in relentless press so we can win the ball altogether and than quickly move the ball forward to other more creative players. And in this combination of defensive + passing skillset he's one of the best if not the best in the league and it shows in the national team finally even after decent but not as good season as last year because Fred simply plays game at much higher pace than others and it's very important for teams to play progressive football.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
That's some absolute beast numbers. Hope fresh Fred comes in for preseason since naturally he looked tired at the end of last season. It will be essential if we want to challenge the title next season because there is no other player in our squad to play such important role if we fail to strengthen.

Idxomer

He's been definitely one of the most important players in the Brazil team.

He's there to help Neymar both defensively and offensively and he's doing a great job at both ends.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
You really think Mourinho spent 40m and 47m on two midfielders not for purpose to get the best out of Pogba? Whether it works or not, the point is it was the manager’s initial intention.
Mourinho failed so many times in the past that really we shouldnt take that much serious. He brought a player in and then froze him after literally a couple of bad passes. And he wasn't even playing that bad despite the errors. I reckon same way Herrera was brought in the team before and wasn't exactly Van Gaal's signing Fred seems to be a natural successor to Herrera and it was a club's decision while Mourinho gave it a green light.

Fred turn out to be a great player despite some non knowledgable posters say otherwise because they also similarly to Mourinho wanted him to be something else but all players have to adapt. Why should we blame Fred that he couldn't get the best out of Pogba, he happen to be worth the money and great CDM defensive 8 hybrid taking our performances to another level but perhaps it's Pogba who needs to adapt more or try more or perhaps it's the manager who play him where he shouldn't, and lastly perhaps we should get the right fit of a player and readjust the set up so the whole team can go forward.

But it's like blaming Fred that he's not Carrick and Herrera before and Carrick before that he ain't Keane. Football is not played one way and players could be hardly replaced like for like. At least with Ole now there's a hope he makes good decisions bringing the right players of right profile.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Mourinho failed so many times in the past that really we shouldnt take that much serious. He brought a player in and then froze him after literally a couple of bad passes. And he wasn't even playing that bad despite the errors. I reckon same way Herrera was brought in the team before and wasn't exactly Van Gaal's signing Fred seems to be a natural successor to Herrera and it was a club's decision while Mourinho gave it a green light.

Fred turn out to be a great player despite some non knowledgable posters say otherwise because they also similarly to Mourinho wanted him to be something else but all players have to adapt. Why should we blame Fred that he couldn't get the best out of Pogba, he happen to be worth the money and great CDM defensive 8 hybrid taking our performances to another level but perhaps it's Pogba who needs to adapt more or try more or perhaps it's the manager who play him where he shouldn't, and lastly perhaps we should get the right fit of a player and readjust the set up so the whole team can go forward.

But it's like blaming Fred that he's not Carrick and Herrera before and Carrick before that he ain't Keane. Football is not played one way and players could be hardly replaced like for like. At least with Ole now there's a hope he makes good decisions bringing the right players of right profile.
I never blame Fred. I’m making a point that we signed him for a purpose not because it was out of blue or panic buy like what lot of people said. He was truly Mourinho signing, the manager really wanted him because he has assets to play in midfield 3 with Matic and Pogba and our scout‘s choice saw him to improve us not because we couldn’t give the manager CB so we chose to sign Fred as panic buy.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
What a stupid thing to say, do you even watch our games? He's by far the fastest player to move the ball forward, always available for a pass, never hides like McTominay, and some neat quick passing in between the lines too in very quick pace, if there was a metronome he's the one. His first touch is also very good too, occassionaly he can have a heavy touch like any player but mostly the ball under close control and very decent in tight spaces, combining with Shaw, Pogba. Again day and night to McTominay who has every second heavy touch only to lose ball so many times. But the thing is try to be absolutely crucial ball winner and presser like Fred running the most KMs and sprints covering for your players all game all season and then not to have a heavy touch.

His job is to win the ball as soon as possible, cover for teammates, put in relentless press so we can win the ball altogether and than quickly move the ball forward to other more creative players. And in this combination of defensive + passing skillset he's one of the best if not the best in the league and it shows in the national team finally even after decent but not as good season as last year because Fred simply plays game at much higher pace than others and it's very important for teams to play progressive football.
I've got to disagree with you on the bolded. I'm quite a fan of Fred and I tend to be one of the more vocal posters on here at defending him from unfair criticism, but his inconsistent first touch is probably his biggest weakness. Obviously some people go overboard about it, but it does tend to put him in difficult positions more often than he really should and he does lose the ball at times because of it. It's not so bad further up the field, but when it happens in deeper areas it does put the team in a tough spot. The fact that we rely on him to be our main deep playmaker most of the time then highlights it further since he's receiving the ball in those positions more often than anybody else in our team.

The inconsistent first touch is also why he can at times miss opportunities to make the first time pass to move us quickly into a better position. Most of the time I'd agree with what you and others in here are saying that he's normally our best at speeding up the tempo and playing quick balls (as long as he has options to do so with), but when he doesn't it's normally because his touch let him down.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Honestly I think he'll be a key player again next season. Funny how it comes up in every thread but he also really just needs a defensive midfielder next to him, someone who will hold position and not burst forward. Fred is very good with his link up play, brilliant with his pressing and getting stuck in, but he's not a sitter. For Brazil he has Casemiro or Fabinho to partner him. Get him the same at United, a defensive midfielder who can pass it around reliably and we'll be far better and more balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.