Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not sure he was much better or worse than usual, it was just a standard Fred performance to the constant background noise of Savage calling him shit.

By now we know what he's about, he has a huge engine, will get around the pitch, make a nuisance of himself and win himself tackles. He'll also be largely useless on the ball and occasionally throw in an utterly braindead pass in his own defensive third. Again, I thought he suffered from not having a more positionally disciplined player alongside him, but he doesn't offer enough with the ball to allow us to play that player against teams like that.

I'm not really convinced that's good enough to take us to the level of where we aspire to be, but he's here and he's not the most pressing of our concerns.
I don’t think that was a standard performance. He’s had plenty of games where he’s used the ball a lot better than he did tonight, that’s for sure. His passing is limited but it’s not often as bad as it was tonight.

NinjaFletch

I don’t think that was a standard performance. He’s had plenty of games where he’s used the ball a lot better than he did tonight, that’s for sure. His passing is limited but it’s not often as bad as it was tonight.
For sure, but I think those games are far more the exception than what we saw tonight. At any rate, it was well within the range of normal for him.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He’s the player we need to improve upon. Then we can play a 6 and two of Bruno VDB Pogba

BehemothTerror

The press and engine were good but he was brainless at times in our half and gifted possession were a more dangerous opposition might have punished. Also gave away the freekick they scored from somewhat needlessly. Not one of his better games

Devil may care

He was decent, I've said for ages he's a squad player if we are building to win the PL and CL and I still feel the same, great to come into games when he has a specific hunting role, like how Fergie would use a player like Park or Phil Neville, but he needs a positionally disciplined player next to him and doesn't offer enough on the ball to have a DM with him.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Great work rate and ball winning, then he Spanish the ball against an oppo player when trying a Long ball m. Will someone just tell him to play it feckin short?

Not his best game. The usual pressing was there but he kept scuffing his passes straight to an opponent. He's still one of our most important players.

Matt851

He can’t play as the deepest midfielder and that’s his biggest issue. Him and VdB wouldn’t work against better sides.

He’s a #8. He’s great at running forward and pressing to win the ball, but he’s not a ball player at all.

I see people compare him to Kante, but people forget Kantes best seasons came with Drinkwater and Matic as his partners, both of whom sat deeper than him.
Kante is also better at carrying the ball and has more reliable passing

Zlatans Knee

I can't relax when he is close to or on the ball. You never know what he is going to do. He is the opposite of DVdB in that I am surprised if he manages to pass to one of our players or not foul the opponent.

simplyared

Gets caught out far too often and is high risk. Plays the obvious pass far too often and totally lacks any form of composure. Having a "good engine" is not enough to cement a place in our midfield. We have far better options!

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He lacks the obvious composure when passing and this is a issue that is continually brought up with Fred. But we simply dont have anyone capable of doing the unfashionable things he does without the ball. He's generally great at closing the opposition down and upping the tempo in that respect. For that reason he has to be in the side. Its a no brainer.

gregor

Gets caught out far too often and is high risk. Plays the obvious pass far too often and totally lacks any form of composure. Having a "good engine" is not enough to cement a place in our midfield. We have far better options!
Reality is we don't. At the moment our midfield is Fred +1(2).

Last edited:

poleglass red

The problem he has is obvious ie passing. He misplaces easy passes and his pass selection isn't great either. His job last night should have been straight forward, win the ball give the easy pass to Bruno or VDB, for some reason he was trying difficult passes when an easy option was on. The biggest issue I have with his passing is him misplacing in our own half esp when he's the only dm we have. We know our backline has issues but us giving the other team possession in our own half is criminal. I like his hussle, I like he doesn't stop running, but there is no way we could play him with VDB and Bruno against any kind of decent team. We will be stuck with him and McT against good teams, which then restricts our attacking play. One quality DM could let us play that mid and forward combination against good teams in my personal opinion.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Wasn't good on the ball but wasn't himself defensively either. Just a poor game from him.
He was decent, I've said for ages he's a squad player if we are building to win the PL and CL and I still feel the same, great to come into games when he has a specific hunting role, like how Fergie would use a player like Park or Phil Neville, but he needs a positionally disciplined player next to him and doesn't offer enough on the ball to have a DM with him.
Perfect description of Fred. He is a definition of good supporting midfielder.
He can’t play as the deepest midfielder and that’s his biggest issue. Him and VdB wouldn’t work against better sides.

He’s a #8. He’s great at running forward and pressing to win the ball, but he’s not a ball player at all.

I see people compare him to Kante, but people forget Kantes best seasons came with Drinkwater and Matic as his partners, both of whom sat deeper than him.
Him and van de Beek wouldn't work against any sides. They both need physical presence alongside.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Him and van de Beek wouldn't work against any sides. They both need physical presence alongside.
They seemed to work pretty well against Istanbul. Not saying they could do it against every team but the played very well together in the week.

Fred, VDB and Bruno were a handful.

jamesjimmybyrondean

They seemed to work pretty well against Istanbul. Not saying they could do it against every team but the played very well together in the week.

Fred, VDB and Bruno were a handful.
When we had the ball it was a joy to watch. But we got bypassed too often though I think that's more down to our poor pressing

Godfather

For handling the defensive side of our midfield pretty much on his own he did well. For all the praise VdB got for his performance he was rubbish defensively, which is why we won't see him in a more central position against any top side

HowYouDoin

Wasn't good on the ball but wasn't himself defensively either. Just a poor game from him.

Perfect description of Fred. He is a definition of good supporting midfielder.

So you think for example both can work with McTominay? Well we know Fred can. How about DVB? You think the partnership between DVB and McTominay is better than DVB and Fred?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
So you think for example both can work with McTominay? Well we know Fred can. How about DVB? You think the partnership between DVB and McTominay is better than DVB and Fred?
I consider both Fred and McTominay as ball winning / supporting midfielders. They are not DMs. They both have good defensive skills, operate pretty much in the same area of the pitch (Fred on the left, McTominay on the right). Both contribute little going forward but are effective at moving the ball quickly. That's all similarities. McTominay has better touch and is better mid / long range passer. Fred energy is amazing so it helps the entire team.

The reason why I doubt Fred - VdB can work is because they have similar weak points - easy to dominate physically and in the air, and non existent long range passing.

McTominay - Fred will be the safest option for sure (defensively sound, ok in general). Fred - Donny will more creative but weak defensively. It might be enough against many teams mind you.

In case of McTominay - van de Beek so called double pivot (we play more of two conservative box to box), Scott takes care of fighting the midfield battle, winning headers and physical presence, while Donny helps to get the ball forward. On paper they just complement each other very well.

Any midfield setup can work against some opponents, but McTominay - van de Beek pairing is the only one that can be a base for a team that can play any opponent. Both low block and top tier.

Obviously that all applies to 4231. In case of 433 with single pivot (only Matic for us can play that role), it's much easier to accommodate Donny. But in that scenario there is no place for either Fred nor McTominay - they don't contribute enough going forward.

HowYouDoin

I consider both Fred and McTominay as ball winning / supporting midfielders. They are not DMs. They both have good defensive skills, operate pretty much in the same area of the pitch (Fred on the left, McTominay on the right). Both contribute little going forward but are effective at moving the ball quickly. That's all similarities. McTominay has better touch and is better mid / long range passer. Fred energy is amazing so it helps the entire team.

The reason why I doubt Fred - VdB can work is because they have similar weak points - easy to dominate physically and in the air, and non existent long range passing.

McTominay - Fred will be the safest option for sure (defensively sound, ok in general). Fred - Donny will more creative but weak defensively. It might be enough against many teams mind you.

In case of McTominay - van de Beek so called double pivot (we play more of two conservative box to box), Scott takes care of fighting the midfield battle, winning headers and physical presence, while Donny helps to get the ball forward. On paper they just complement each other very well.

Any midfield setup can work against some opponents, but McTominay - van de Beek pairing is the only one that can be a base for a team that can play any opponent. Both low block and top tier.

Obviously that all applies to 4231. In case of 433 with single pivot (only Matic for us can play that role), it's much easier to accommodate Donny. But in that scenario there is no place for either Fred nor McTominay - they don't contribute enough going forward.
Agreed with all of that. On paper McTominay and VDB should be our best pairing. Maybe even Matic and VDB though VDB would really need to put in a shift then.
Love Fred's energy but yeah if VDB is to become a starter and if he proves to be an upgrade over Fred then Fred is likely the odd man out.

Southampton 2:3 Man Utd

binary bot
Shit foul for their second but he's getting better at passing through the midfield. The linkup play with him Bruno and VdB is really promising when you combine it with his energy

Augustus Gloop

He’s lucky as hell we pulled that off. Constantly fouling no matter where it was on the pitch. Great engine but inconsistent footballer

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Good shout for MOTM again, at a time when Bruno and VDB were loosing possession Fred kept regaining it and passing it back to them

sammyhol

Masterclass of a midfield performance in the second half. Brilliant.

Cavani will understandably take the plaudits today, but that was the best 45 mins midfield shift in a United shirt for a long time.

Kag

That foul was utterly brainless. Sort of negates his obvious impact on the game elsewhere, unfortunately.

Based Adnan

Good game second half but so thick and brainless giving away a free kick on the edge of the box vs the best free kick taker in the league

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Bruno is the obvious highlight player but Fred is the POTY contender again, some world class contributions of his shouldn't go unnoticed because he plays deeper and makes us midfield tick. You could see him starting almost every dangerous attack of ours, winning 50-50s, tackling, intercepting, very clever, quick and accurate passing between the lines.

He's been immense player for us despite his slower start under Mourinho.

Reactions: golden_blunder

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He was superb in second half. He was the start of our first goal as well beating two players.

Status
Not open for further replies.