Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

iHicksy

Despite Fred's shortcomings i've always thought he should be starting in our midfield. He has qualities you simply want from a centre mid. He constantly chases and harries the opponent. Those games where we look static and unlikely to make something happen. Well players like Fred, can instill their energy in a game. Much like Bruno and make things happen, or give the players around them a kick to say "i should be doing this". Honestly, it's a skill set that shouldn't be underestimated. It's one of the reasons I always thought that we looked better with herrera on the pitch. They share similar attributes.

OldTrevil

He was my MOTM. His passing ability from deep, coupled with his movement off the ball is so key to alleviating pressure and switching momentum. He needs to play with players that are mobile and can actively take advantage of the space he generates instead of panicking, and who are comfortable with receiving and passing under pressure. That is the key to dominating the midfield, especially against teams that are high energy but not technically superior, which is most of the PL midtable and some of the top 6 challengers.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Always enjoy watching Fred. His mobility and Stamina is something our midfield is always crying out for in the land of giants we currently have.

if only he had more end product he'd probably start more often, but as a water carrier he's brilliant.

Genuinely think he should have played against Palace instead of Mctominay as his speed and ability to cover ground quickly and intercept is vital against counter attacking sides.

Himannv

I thought he was excellent off the ball against Luton. I didn't think much of him when he had it though.

He struggles a bit when pressed as he's not a player who premeditates enough. I think he's better when he has time to look up, assess options, and then pass.

Litch

Did what he needed to in regard to balance. It's a problem Pogs and Bruno.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Did his job when he came on, he looks better when he’s next to Matic I think it’s a decent partnership.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He makes our team play better than Pogba & I'm not a hater of the latter.

Bruno plays better when the whole midfield is able to press or defend, get the ball and create a quick chance.

I dont think Pogba & Bruno work in the current system where Bruno plays more like a defensive capable midfielder at AM but our CDM/CM in Pogba is the least defensively capable out of all.

kiristao

Has to play rather than Pogba. Not because he is better but because Pogba isn't fully fit in my opinion.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I think we have to drop Pogba and start Fred and Matic or maybe move VDB into the MF.

Nick7

Didn't really notice him when he came on, but that was better than noticing everything Pogba was doing wrong.

kettledrumhamster

so much more energetic and intense than Pogba. I'm a big Solskjaer supporter but I hate that he keeps playing Pogba without any question, I'd love to see him try Matic and Fred behind Bruno, I really think Fred just improves us every time he plays and I like his character. He has his weaknesses but feck me not as many as Pogba.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Don't get why he doesn't start games (for whoever). He's clearly been our in form midfielder over the past 4 months or so

Zoo

Love how he was marshalling Dunk away when Bruno was waiting to take the penalty. He did similar against PSG on Rashford’s penalty. Bags of spirit this guy.

Raven

Love how he was marshalling Dunk away when Bruno was waiting to take the penalty. He did similar against PSG on Rashford’s penalty. Bags of spirit this guy.
I noticed that too, it was good stuff.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Yes was great that. It’s one of the reasons he deserves to start above Pogba, he’s got so much more passion and desire, ability is nothing without it.

Ace of Spades

Deserves to start, has been consistently one of our better players last season. He does not grab the headline, but is the much needed energy and pressure we need in midfield.

sillwuka

He's completely cut out his mistakes and great at recycling possession. Good on him, he will get games if Pogba doesn't get into gear quickly.

Foxbatt

Fred plays well when he gets a decent run in the team. Play him and Matic and let Bruno do his stuff in creating chances.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He and mctominay will start on Wednesday with VDB ahead you’d assume. I like Fred he deserves to play more. His energy and aggression is something we don’t have much.

sugar_kane

Love Fred, had a terrible start to his career here but he stepped up massively when Pogba was injured last season and doesn’t deserve to be relegated to the bench immediately after the restart.

ReallyUSA

I have a theory that the little comment he made about Ole having his ups and downs on the coaching side may have something to do with it. Matic didn't play for a while after he liked that tweet or IG post. Hell, Jones was rumored to be singing sacked in the morning and we saw him like one time after that.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
He gives a lot more than Pogba does and I think there's possibly more development in him yet. He was good yesterday and an average coach like OGS could do with his energy.

HowYouDoin

The thing is Pogba is sooooooooooo much more talented. It was obvious in that first game vs Tottenham post lockdown, Fred started but Pogba stole the show. He outshined Fred completely in some 20 minutes and yes we know Pogba has that ability but he rarely shows it.

Im on board with starting Fred. Aside from that Tottenham game he's been a constant performer for us and he can play the defensive midfielder role well too.

Fred, DVB and Bruno would be interesting.

Bebestation

I'd love to see him and Bruno Fernandes in midfield one game because they have great work rate together which transcends to useful defensive abilities.

Pop Van De Beek in at AM & then we could see how that influences the players both front and behind him with his quick runs and passes.

If it works then it may give Ole that idea of playing Pogba more freely in CM whilst having Bruno Fernandes dropping back a bit deeper in to midfield too alongside him - changing us from a 4231 to a 433.

Brighton 0:3 Man Utd

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Not his best display but I think we're currently better with him in the team. He brings a bit more intensity to the midfield.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Fred's forward passing was driving me crazy today. Mishit at least three through balls tonight. Energetic, as ever, but can't really complain for not starting in the league right now.

sillwuka

Not his best display but I think we're currently better with him in the team. He brings a bit more intensity to the midfield.
Agreed. I do like what he brings to the midfield. A bit of urgency to keep the ball moving although his forward play was less accurate today.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Fred's forward passing was driving me crazy today. Mishit at least three through balls tonight. Energetic, as ever, but can't really complain for not starting in the league right now.
yeah his passing accuracy was a few degrees off radar tonight. We already know he needs some game time before he hits form, and that’s fine, as he will be getting plenty of game time in coming weeks and months.

but he looks fit and motivated and happy and I’m glad he is in the squad.

Abhinav

He has grown on me over the last year and a half. But today he was really poor I thought. Refused to play the forward pass on most occasions and his long passes didn't come through. Hopefully just a bad day at the office.

Bebestation

It was his forward pass that set up vdb for the assist.

It was good.

Our ability across the team looked better when we had quality all over the place.

It reminds me when no one was that amazed by Fred & Mctomminay before we had an AM - Bruno wasnt here and Pogba was injured; however soon as we got Bruno in the team everything seemed to settle with the creators in the right spots and the hard workers in the other.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
He has the most energy out of our central midfielders, always making himself available. His passing is such a letdown a lot of the time, if this was improved he would such a contribution

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Yeah frustrating player in many respects. Does a lot of great work and some shabby stuff. And why is he allowed to take free kicks?

We currently have three proper centre mids who dont play well together. McTominay made Fred look much worse than he actually was tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.