Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante

Average bang
He's an old fashioned English-style midfielder from the 90s.

Lots of pashun, lots of aimless running, not much positional awareness, poor passing and relatively uncomfortable on the ball. A Dennis Wise for the 2020s.

I think people get so distracted by how often the commentators say his name during matches that they don't realise how much of a weak link he can be. He'd be nothing more than a bench option continuity player in any other top team - including in United sides of the past.

He gets into my first XI at United because of the lack of alternatives we currently have. But he's by no means our future. And today's performance proved it.

lsd

The Oracle
He would struggle to start for any Premiership team yet plays a lot for us which is very sad.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Demon performance. Even with the littered errors here and there his application is to be commended.

MS4

He would struggle to start for any Premiership team yet plays a lot for us which is very sad.
Surely would our midfield interceptioning machine struggle because Xhaka, Kovacic, Ritchie, Davies, Ampadu, Osborn, Reed, RLC, Millojevic, McAthur, Luiz, Brownhill, Moutinho, Lallana, Bissouma, Fleck, Sawyers, Livermore and Philips are all better midfielders than Fred.
Fred would be a nailed on starter for 15/20 PL Teams.

ManRed

One of the standout performances of the night. Made interceptions and tackles throughout and won the most duels. Glad to see him grow into the role over the years.

Levenstein

Why are all his errors accepted, just because he runs around a lot?
They are not accepted, but most people mention only his errors and don't notice his qualities (not only running and pressing a lot)
Reading posts here makes me feel like when Fred makes an error, he is the only one and that is the end of the world

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The so called 'aimless running' he does - that's pressing like Laimer does for Leipzig isnt it? He is our midfield presser in the modern game or am I wrong?

The so called 'aimless running' he does - that's pressing like Laimer does for Leipzig isnt it? He is our midfield presser in the modern game or am I wrong?
It keeps the pressure on the opposition and removes passing options. The positioning is the same thing people used to complain about Carrick for, when he would jog around doing nothing. They dont see that hes putting himself there on purpose. He isnt as good as Carrick at that but he does a lot more pressing, and it stops the opposition playing through his area.

He was great yesterday, and very often in our team he is playing for two in the middle of midfield.

lsd

The Oracle
Why are all his errors accepted, just because he runs around a lot?

Same as people praising Maguire's invisible leadership thinking it makes up for him being average.

Fred is at best championship level and anyone with a brain can see that. Too many pros point him out as a weak link. Even Ole only trusts him if he plays another defensive midfielder beside him

Devil may care

I can see Fred vs McTominay being the next Rashford vs Martial on the Caf, bottom line if if we replace Pogba and Matic with the quality required they take up their natural role as squad players.

city-puma

Fred-McT played well against Leicester. We are two men less than Leicester deployed in the midfield. Rashford was not in his best physical condition, I don’t know why. But, I would never think it’s due to his lack of commitment or effort. Rashford always gives his all as much as possible. The second half, Ole added pogba to midfield, and we gained the balance and control. The biggest disappointment comes from pogba not committing more to help the defense at that crucial moment. If Rashford was on left side (he switched to the right in the second half), I guess we will defend better at that moment.
It’s also clear that Fred performed less well since the incidents against PSG. There has been a little bit dip in his performance as compared with his peak. He normally needs a run of games to reach peak level. I hope Ole plays him and McT as much as possible with clever rotation between cup and league game. This partnership is what I feel the most solid one to bring out the most from Bruno.
This game against Leicester also unveils a question for us. When the opponent with counter attack ability dominates the midfield by number and has very well drilled compact shape with intensive pressing, who and where should we add to the midfield. Yesterday’s game seems for me the better option could be Matic rather than pogba.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He was good yesterday but he wasn't really going to impose against Tielemans, Maddison and Ndidi.

It should be Fred + a new midfielder who can pass. Something like a peak Carrick would do wonders.

Falcow

MOM yesterday and comfortably so in my view. Bruno too wasteful in possession and was responsible for Leicesters first goal, Bruno also could have had two yellow cards so I was surprised to see him voted MOM on here.

I counted Fred giving the ball away twice yesterday, Rashford and Bruno could learn from him when it comes to retaining possession.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's all about perception. To me Kante, Herrera and Fred all have very similar strengths and weaknesses, offering very similar things to the team. How one is regarded as one of the best midfielders in the world, one voted as Player of the Season, and one called a cult favorite is still a mystery.
Not sure where this ‘mystery’ arises from — Kante played a serious part in two separate PL titles at two separate clubs (one of them being Leicester City), a Euros final, and a World Cup win. I think it’s clear to see why he is (or was) regarded so much higher. And why he absolutely should be seen as a level above the other two when comparing all at their best.

Herrera was a big part of the last troph[ies] the club won. Named MOTM in the Europa final. The level between his best and what Fred offers isn’t gigantic, but I’d still side it in Herrera’s favour.

Falcow

Couple of interesting stats from yesterday:

Most touches, Fred 93, Mctominay 43, Bruno 66......his energy, pressing, workrate is literally head and shoulders ahead of the rest of our midfielders.

Most passes, Fred 71, Mctominay 21!! Bruno 44. Yes, you read that right, Fred had more passes than both Scott and Bruno combined, see above re workrate.

So those posters above saying he is championship level? It's amazing how little some people who claim to follow football actually know about it. As the above stats prove, Fred basically did the work of two players yesterday. For anyone looking to point out flaws in our team, there are plenty of other places to start, Fred ain't one of them.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I can see Fred vs McTominay being the next Rashford vs Martial on the Caf, bottom line if if we replace Pogba and Matic with the quality required they take up their natural role as squad players.
I don’t think it’s much more than this, really. Like many of players, Fred has things he’s very good at, but some fundamental aspects of his game that he’s lacking in.That’s just probably not going to change.

Not a personal attack against Fred, particularly, but it’s why we’re basically the ‘nearly men’ and will likely finish anywhere from 4th to 2nd in the league.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
I really don't get the Fred hate in here.
Me neither. The shit fans are supposed to value as basic requirements are in his DNA, laid out on the pitch every time he plays. Do people not make the connection between Bruno's productivity and the presence of Fred behind him? Championship level. Sweet mother of divine Jaysus.

Devil may care

I don’t think it’s much more than this, really. Like many of players, Fred has things he’s very good at, but some fundamental aspects of his game that he’s lacking in.That’s just probably not going to change.

Not a personal attack against Fred, particularly, but it’s why we’re basically the ‘nearly men’ and will likely finish anywhere from 4th to 2nd in the league.
Yeah, Fred has great tenacity, presses well, covers lots of ground and protects the ball well under pressure, but his first touch, passing and positional awareness are erratic and like you say these are things that are unlikely to change as he's not a kid just developing his game.

kettledrumhamster

Me neither. The shit fans are supposed to value as basic requirements are in his DNA, laid out on the pitch every time he plays. Do people not make the connection between Bruno's productivity and the presence of Fred behind him? Championship level. Sweet mother of divine Jaysus.
There was a thread asking if United fans are amongst the most entitled, bratty and inconsistent and I think that those things are perfectly encapsulated by the way some talk about Fred on here. He does everything they complain about other players not doing, but just because he's not some perfect amalgamation of Bryan Robson, Roy Keane and Paul Scholes, he must be a waster who wouldn't start for half the teams in the championship.

He makes the team work better, he makes those around him perform better, and he makes every game hard for the opposition. If we could say that about the rest of the team, we'd be outstanding.

People often say about Liverpool that their success doesn't depend so much on the level of their ceiling, but the level of their base. That's Fred all over. Never going to be world class, but always going to be very good. What a guy.

Silverman

It's because he makes the simple things look so hard.
Very frustrating.
But I dont think he does. I remember a few times yday where I punched the air when he broke up a Leicester attack.
Championship level comments are embarrassing.

Stacks

his energy and pressing high up is vital. Just a shame he is one of the least technically skilled Brazilians I have seen. No one else in our team does what he does though

eire-red

I really like him, but I think with Fred it's either a case of bigging him up too much, or being overly critical.

Let's be realistic, he doesn't offer enough in posession. People saying that Fred was man of the match, Bruno was highly influential in both of our goals (scored and assisted). How do Fred and McTominay influence the game in comparison against quality opposition? I know they're not there to score and assist, but they are there for their defensive capabilities, and both were found wanting for Leicester's equalizers.

I think he's a good player, but for me, the more we evolve as a team, we'll see less and less of Fred and McTominay as nailed on starters. I think how Ole wants Pogba to function in the team is a representation of how he wants the midfield to look. Unfortunately, Pogba doesn't have the defensive awareness or work rate to become that midfield maestro, but it's clear that he wants a pairing that are effective at both ends of the pitch.

I think we'll be looking for two midfielders over the coming windows, one possibly more comfortable sitting, and an all rounder who is good both going forward and at defending. For me, both Fred and McTominay are very good squad options, and brilliant options in certain games against stronger opponents. But starters that will be part of a title winning squad? Not for me.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
His passing makes no sense. Ive never seen a player give the ball away more than him whilst under no pressure. He's a weird one, similar to Anderson in a sense. Brings the legs we need but passing ability is lacking.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He isn't in the greatest form at the moment but his consistency is pretty good now and he should be the first midfielder to put in the line up in almost any game, imo. Our style of pressing hard and high relies very much on Fred's legs and when we make it work it's usually because he has a great game.

Raven

Same as people praising Maguire's invisible leadership thinking it makes up for him being average.

Fred is at best championship level and anyone with a brain can see that. Too many pros point him out as a weak link. Even Ole only trusts him if he plays another defensive midfielder beside him
Ding ding ding, we have a winner. The 1st/2nd name on the team sheet for a team who are currently in 3rd in the PL is "at best championship level". :lol:

What an irredeemable moron.

LJJT

I like Fred a lot but I am a bit surprised by all the chat over who’s to blame for their goals. Fred is like a magpie to glitter when it comes to the ball- he got to involved and close to Maguire when he got the ball clear for the first goal (if Fred had remained composed there would be an out ball for Maguire and Bruno) and on the second he goes to pressure the same player shaw goes to leaving the spare man to cross and assist Vardy. I do like Fred but theirs indiscipline to his game, as there is many in our team

lsd

The Oracle
Ding ding ding, we have a winner. The 1st/2nd name on the team sheet for a team who are currently in 3rd in the PL is "at best championship level". :lol:

What an irredeemable moron.

So good he needs McTominey beside him to play one position. You're so right there was every other person in the world thinking Bruno would be our first name on the sheet but you offer up a guy who fills half a position in the team

Raven

So good he needs McTominey beside him to play one position. You're so right there was every other person in the world thinking Bruno would be our first name on the sheet but you offer up a guy who fills half a position in the team
He's just as vital to our defensive play as Bruno is in an attacking sense. When picking the team, the first names on the team sheet are Bruno, Maguire and Fred

lsd

The Oracle
He's just as vital to our defensive play as Bruno is in an attacking sense. When picking the team, the first names on the team sheet are Bruno, Maguire and Fred

Are you Ole's pen?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I really like him, but I think with Fred it's either a case of bigging him up too much, or being overly critical.

Let's be realistic, he doesn't offer enough in posession. People saying that Fred was man of the match, Bruno was highly influential in both of our goals (scored and assisted). How do Fred and McTominay influence the game in comparison against quality opposition? I know they're not there to score and assist, but they are there for their defensive capabilities, and both were found wanting for Leicester's equalizers.

I think he's a good player, but for me, the more we evolve as a team, we'll see less and less of Fred and McTominay as nailed on starters. I think how Ole wants Pogba to function in the team is a representation of how he wants the midfield to look. Unfortunately, Pogba doesn't have the defensive awareness or work rate to become that midfield maestro, but it's clear that he wants a pairing that are effective at both ends of the pitch.

I think we'll be looking for two midfielders over the coming windows, one possibly more comfortable sitting, and an all rounder who is good both going forward and at defending. For me, both Fred and McTominay are very good squad options, and brilliant options in certain games against stronger opponents. But starters that will be part of a title winning squad? Not for me.
I'm curious If Rashford scored 1on1 from Fred pass, would you still be asking that question? McTominay was poor (no real impact on build up) but I thought they were both set up to break attacks and they did that very well.

eire-red

I'm curious If Rashford scored 1on1 from Fred pass, would you still be asking that question? McTominay was poor (no real impact on build up) but I thought they were both set up to break attacks and they did that very well.
I don't think so to be honest. How many goals or assists does Fred have since he joined? He's good at what he does, as you say, being a nuisance and breaking up opponent attacks. But is that enough?

Do you think we couldn't upgrade on Fred? Again, I'm not knocking him, I think he's a very useful player for us. There are serious limitations to his game, as with McTominay, that I believe going forward won't be good enough to challenge.

I look at how Ole was clearly trying to play Pogba in that deeper position until it was obvious he's a liability defensively. However, it clearly shows that he knows we need more creativity and ability on the ball from deep.

For me, we need to bring in another midfielder who can contribute more in posession. From there, I see it as one of McTominay and Fred in the team, if we don't look to replace one of those with a more natural DM. I think Fred is a better footballer than McTominay, but McTominay offers more of a goal threat and greater physicality, but neither are the complete package of me. Both have qualities I like, but are lacking in key areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.