5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

He's one of those players who is essential in a modern football team and we play so much better with him on the pitch. He chases every opponent down and makes himself available for every pass. Didn't have much to do against Southampton and i almost wish the Southampton own goal wasn't a goal as Fred was right behind waiting for the tap in, he deserved to score one.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I kind of like him on the left, he would fit even better into a 4-3-3 setup. Should never be used as the deepest midfielder, it doesn't suit him at all (too weak, lack of aerial ability, and limited passing). He is comforteable on the ball when he has short to mid passing options, his passing between the lines has improved as well.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I thought he did a really solid job in the first half but thought he looked really uncomfortable on the left, which is obviously not really his fault, it was an experiment.

BarstoolProphet

Liked him yesterday despite him experiencing a sudden loss of both legs a couple of times. Sometimes he just can't stand on his own feet.

Sylar

The only thing he did wrong was breakdancing before the offside goal :lol: and he got a great block in before that

His energy to get the ball back really helped us dominate the game with possession to tire them out. They struggled for an outlet or to keep the ball

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s such a needed player in the team. I can overlook his deficiencies because his energy is vital to our play

justsomebloke

I wonder if the experiment yesterday was testing him in an inverted full back role, like Guardiola's been using Cancelo this year? Going forward, he seemed to take up position well into the pitch, with others, especially Bruno, moving out to the left.

Litch

He is a very important player for us today - in our current set-up. His work rate is immense.

At the same time I think our future progress is limited by relying on Fred on the midfield. He lacks many offensive skills, and we can’t count on him at all in our attack. If we want the team to take it to the next level we cannot afford having midfielders as blind passengers in our offensive play.
Not sure why Fred has to be 'everthing'. Not sure what games you are watching cause even yesterday he created chances especially the one Martial placed wide. Not sure there are many DM's in general that do both? Rice who many people want doesn't....

Litch

I wonder if the experiment yesterday was testing him in an inverted full back role, like Guardiola's been using Cancelo this year? Going forward, he seemed to take up position well into the pitch, with others, especially Bruno, moving out to the left.
Interestingly could play on the right too as he passes with both feet.....

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't think so. It's just that we were completely dominant side so it really didn't matter where he played.

city-puma

I don't think so. It's just that we were completely dominant side so it really didn't matter where he played.
Exactly.
When Fred ran deep on the left channel, McT move to the central position left-leaning to cover and our CBs also move up to occupy the space on right.
McFred is the platform for our dynamic playing style because they have the mobility and discipline to be dynamic themselves.

romufc

I think it was more of a case where Ole wanted to rest Luke Shaw but didn't want to waste a substitute by bringing Telles on because:

1. He had to bring Martial and Donny on to get game time and try rediscover form
2. Had to keep 1 sub in case of an injury

It was easier to take of Shaw and have Fred fill in so he can rest other players.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
No, Ole just wanted to sub Shaw so he had decision to make: introduce Telles and waste a sub or give van de Beek and Martial a go. He wanted to give those two a boost so he used Fred as makeshift leftback. Nothing more to it.

justsomebloke

To several; that he just wanted to bring on Martial and Donny and anyway the match was decided is certainly plausible. However:

1. That doesn't explain why Fred didn't seem to take up the left back position offensively and
2. It's perfectly possible that both explanations are true

Anyway, I can't know of course. I just thought it was striking how he performed that role positionally when we were attacking. But then Shaw often moves infield too, so it may be nothing.

Brightonian

I really think replacing him with Pogba is the worst of various ways to fit Pogba into the Southampton starting line-up. Would have made much more sense to swap Greenwood or McTominay out for him. Fred gives our more progressive midfielders their platform, keeps the ball moving fluidly, and is also the only one really capable of shielding the back four reliably.

Of course this is shameless hedging, as I'll gladly be proved wrong if it means we win!

GMoore23

One of those players more noticed in his absence. I suspect we’ll struggle to get a foothold in central midfield this evening. Wait and see.
Yep, with 4 days rest since Southampton and next league game isn't till next weekend, he should have started here. One of the first names on the teamsheet for me.

OldTrevil

He should be next to Pogba as McT hides when we're in possession and destabilizes midfield play.

Man Utd 3:3 Everton

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Really fail to see what he offers in these games. His technique is so wild and unpredictable. I’d honestly be tempted to push van de Beek ahead of him in the pecking order for matches where the onus isn’t simply just running around and making interceptions.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Did my head it when he kept turning backwards despite having 10 yards of free space in front of him.

CM

Really poor performance from him after coming on. There was a noticeable drop off when Pogba left the pitch.

MU655

Kept the ball - 92% accuracy with 1 key pass. Made a couple of tackles and harassed the opposition. Nothing fancy today, but we were dominant in possession (63%). Did his job really.

Everton wasn't really threatening. Maguire and De Gea made them threatening.

It was a very good team performance from midfield forward. Shame our defence and goalkeeper didn't want to match that in the second half.

Strange that people are accusing him of being negative when he is constantly looking for forward options. But you can't always pass forward, otherwise, you will give away possession. If you want to be dominant in possession you have to play sideway and backwards. Barcelona used to do that all the time.

NickJ

His positioning is horrendous when he’s supposed to be holding midfielder. Why is he not anywhere near James when he makes it 2-2

Litch

Feck me. Fecking vultures circling for no reason. Absolutely nothing to do with him today. Go look elsewhere when the goals were on the keeper and CB's.....

acnumber9

I’m not his biggest fan but I thought he was good enough on the ball. He is useless when it comes to protecting the back four though. Can’t say tonight was much to do with that though.

RedIan

Fred is 2 different players in the first two thirds he works hard defends well and can be tidy in build up play... put him in to the final third and he turns to complete and utter rat shit. Its like he goes all dizzy, forgets how to pass the ball and as for his shooting, it needs banning.

city-puma

His positioning is horrendous when he’s supposed to be holding midfielder. Why is he not anywhere near James when he makes it 2-2
The real issue is that in the second half, Everton changed their system to commit more people in attack by loading their left channel. We didn’t react quickly enough to the danger from it. And, DDG gifted their first goal but the chance was created from that adjustment. Their second goal also came from it. We eventually adjusted by leaving McT on right to help that side. As a result, for quite while, Fred is playing in center by himself.

el3mel

He's great in the center of the park for his energy and defensive work rate but whenever he comes close to the final third he's absolutely useless.

Pogba would have ton more with the few balls he got in front of their box.

Litch

Fred is 2 different players in the first two thirds he works hard defends well and can be tidy in build up play... put him in to the final third and he turns to complete and utter rat shit. Its like he goes all dizzy, forgets how to pass the ball and as for his shooting, it needs banning.
Sorry I have no understanding why people are posting other than to vent cause it's a draw. If it was 3-2, you and others would not have moaned. Bitter, bitter fans.....

Last edited:

Nfplee

Usually a big Fred fan but the amount of times he aimlessly charged out leaving space behind. Anyone notice Bruno having a go at him just after Everton scored their first?

Falcow

Kept the ball - 92% accuracy with 1 key pass. Made a couple of tackles and harassed the opposition. Nothing fancy today, but we were dominant in possession (63%). Did his job really.

Everton wasn't really threatening. Maguire and De Gea made them threatening.

It was a very good team performance from midfield forward. Shame our defence and goalkeeper didn't want to match that in the second half.

Strange that people are accusing him of being negative when he is constantly looking for forward options. But you can't always pass forward, otherwise, you will give away possession. If you want to be dominant in possession you have to play sideway and backwards. Barcelona used to do that all the time.
Agree 100% with this. Apart from that wank cross, he played well. The fact that we conceded 3 goals from Evertons three attacks is not on Fred.

People should take a look at Rashfords performance for an example of being utterly shite 90% of the time.

MU655

Lost so many challenges. We lost our dominance in midfield after Pogba came off for him.
We had 63% possession. In fact, it went up from 60% to 64% after Fred came on. We were in control of the game pretty much the whole time. It was mistakes made by our defenders and goalkeeper that cost us. We would have won comfortably otherwise.

The only time they were in the game was for 7 minutes after the first goal they scored - 7 minutes where Everton had 60.3% possession. That was pretty much from shock, but it jumped to 88% in our favour for the next 14 minutes.

I don't know how anyone can say we didn't completely control this match. It was dreadful mistakes alone that cost us.

city-puma

We had 63% possession. In fact, it went up from 60% to 64% after Fred came on. We were in control of the game pretty much the whole time. It was mistakes made by our defenders and goalkeeper that cost us. We would have won comfortably otherwise.

The only time they were in the game was for 7 minutes after the first goal they scored - 7 minutes where Everton had 60.3% possession. That was pretty much from shock, but it jumped to 88% in our favour for the next 14 minutes.

I don't know how anyone can say we didn't completely control this match. It was dreadful mistakes alone that cost us.
The first goal conceded is so soft. It shook the whole team so bad. DDG needs to be benched for a while, really. It’s the time to make this call now.

MU655

The first goal conceded is so soft. It shook the whole team so bad. DDG needs to be benched for a while, really. It’s the time to make this call now.
Yeah, I didn't think we looked like we were going to concede. That came out of nowhere. It looked like it could be an utter hammering before that. Too much of shock that followed quickly after by another poor mistake.

Won't derail the thread, but I think De Gea isn't really suited for going deep into his thirties, anway. Not like Van Der Sar. Time to start looking.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Probably his worst defensive game this season. Settled down a bit after they scored their second, but at the beginning of the second half he was getting caught out of position a bit too much for comfort. Might have been able to block the second goal if he'd kept on his feet and went straight for the player instead of going for an unsuccessful intercept. In saying that it's those kinds of moments that he normally does succeed in cutting out the ball so it's a bit harsh to blame him.

Status
Not open for further replies.