Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
The Fred haters come out of the woodwork because we dropped points. Nothing to do with his performance, mind, but there's some dubious correlation we can make work.

city-puma

Probably his worst defensive game this season. Settled down a bit after they scored their second, but at the beginning of the second half he was getting caught out of position a bit too much for comfort. Might have been able to block the second goal if he'd kept on his feet and went straight for the player instead of going for an unsuccessful intercept. In saying that it's those kinds of moments that he normally does succeed in cutting out the ball so it's a bit harsh to blame him.
That beginning period of the second half, Everton adjusted their system, they outnumber us in the midfield. And our team lacks of leader to read the scenario. As a result, Greenwood, WBA, Lindelof are all high up field. They then found the spaces several times to make left side channel runs after the press and counter press.

Fred played very well after coming on. Passing was excellent and he drove the team forward on a number of occasions.

Baffling that this could be called a poor performance. I swear a lot of posters here have a strange disdain for Fred emanating from his poor first season, and are too stubborn to admit they were wrong.

One poor shot and cross doesn’t make a performance bad.

criticalanalysis

That beginning period of the second half, Everton adjusted their system, they outnumber us in the midfield. And our team lacks of leader to read the scenario. As a result, Greenwood, WBA, Lindelof are all high up field. They then found the spaces several times to make left side channel runs after the press and counter press.
Good points.

I' blame' it on Ole really. The freedom he allows our players is fantastic as you can see their confidence to go out, play and work hard but the composure and direction is clearly lacking.

I like Fred a lot but his lack of game awareness (and tbh much of the whole team) to perhaps sit a bit deeper and close out the game was a bit disappointing. Not an individual issue really.

city-puma

Good points.

I' blame' it on Ole really. The freedom he allows our players is fantastic as you can see their confidence to go out, play and work hard but the composure and direction is clearly lacking.

I like Fred a lot but his lack of game awareness (and tbh much of the whole team) to perhaps sit a bit deeper and close out the game was a bit disappointing. Not an individual issue really.
I don’t blame anyone except DDG. That first goal conceded is so soft! The whole team were completely shaken.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think he was very good when we were in possession. Calm on the ball, aware of his surroundings, moved with the ball forward, good passing on the ground. I was very pleased with his performance and I thought we played better as a team when he came on for Pogba. His attacking play has really improved this season, he finds players between the lines and moves around to create advantage.

That said, I never quite understood why people keep calling him a DM. He has zero attributes of a good defensive midfielder. He needs to be played as box to box.

Had a good game overall, the number of goals scored by Everton is not related to Fred performance.

MetoTTT

I think he was very good when we were in possession. Calm on the ball, aware of his surroundings, moved with the ball forward, good passing on the ground. I was very pleased with his performance and I thought we played better as a team when he came on for Pogba. His attacking play has really improved this season, he finds players between the lines and moves around to create advantage.

That said, I never quite understood why people keep calling him a DM. He has zero attributes of a good defensive midfielder. He needs to be played as box to box.

Had a good game overall, the number of goals scored by Everton is not related to Fred performance.
Agreed. I quite like him. The problem is Fred AND McT are both box to box but OGS play one of them as DM because we don't have one (except Matic).
Fred has nothing to do with the team droping points in this game.

Devil may care

Absolutely bizarre performance from him, usually when we play him with McTominay they operate more square of each other and just shield the 2 CB's, which blunts our play but that didn't matter tonight as by the time he came on we were 2-0 up, yet instead he was charging around like an AM leaving McTominay outnumbered several times.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Absolutely bizarre performance from him, usually when we play him with McTominay they operate more square of each other and just shield the 2 CB's, which blunts our play but that didn't matter tonight as by the time he came on we were 2-0 up, yet instead he was charging around like an AM leaving McTominay outnumbered several times.
When he came on it was 1-0.

Its the small little lies to prove a point that annoy me

Devil may care

When he came on it was 1-0.

Its the small little lies to prove a point that annoy me
WTF? I have praised Fred all season, I simply made a mistake, regardless we were 2-0 up at half time and had the warning with that Calvert-Lewin chance just before half time, yet Fred was still bombing on in the 2nd half like we were still playing Southampton, I'm just curious if that was him or Ole's instructions.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
WTF? I have praised Fred all season, I simply made a mistake, regardless we were 2-0 up at half time and had the warning with that Calvert-Lewin chance just before half time, yet Fred was still bombing on in the 2nd half like we were still playing Southampton, I'm just curious if that was him or Ole's instructions.
Ok I misinterpreted you, my bad.

Litch

Not sure if sarcasm, because posts like this are almost cultish.

Fred left James completely alone for their 2nd.
Didn't, followed to cut the cross off and was caught in between both. Hardly an error. I think people forget that they played a 3 in midfield when we play a two. Bruno occasionally tracks back but generally it's left to Scott and Fred to cover a lot a ground. This is even worse when it's Pogba as he can lack real defensive discipline at times. All games will have some degree of human error but the way people seem to want to forensically look only at what he should have done and not what he consistently has done for sometime now. I don't get it but I guess fans on here always need a dog to kick.....

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Not sure if sarcasm, because posts like this are almost cultish.

Fred left James completely alone for their 2nd.
fred played the key pass before the assist for our first goal. He wasn’t amazing today but hes far from one of the biggest problems in the team yet there are always fans lining up to slate him after any mistake. if you look at his work over the last 2 seasons he’s been producing and DDG has been holding us back. Nothing cultish about it.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Come to a point where I don't find his shooting funny anymore. It's actually embarrassingly poor at this level, supposedly many on Redcafe rate him higher than McTominay which is odd too. He's way too erratic, no side would win the league with him.

mu4c_20le

Didn't, followed to cut the cross off and was caught in between both. Hardly an error. I think people forget that they played a 3 in midfield when we play a two. Bruno occasionally tracks back but generally it's left to Scott and Fred to cover a lot a ground. This is even worse when it's Pogba as he can lack real defensive discipline at times. All games will have some degree of human error but the way people seem to want to forensically look only at what he should have done and not what he consistently has done for sometime now. I don't get it but I guess fans on here always need a dog to kick.....
I'm not blaming him for dropped points, nor was I forensically looking at the goal, I was simply checking to see what went wrong and how James was able to comfortably bring the ball down and hit it so sweetly. Basically he did his typical headless chicken thing where he runs around aimlessly from space to space, no idea why he bothered with the guy that Maguire and the other CBs were already marking, but whatever. I just find it odd that people go straight to blaming DDG for everything and how the first goal changed the momentum, when the equaliser was arguably worse and maybe could have been prevented if he had applied some pressure on James to put him off a bit. All 3 goals were the result of a combined effort of errors.

Sylar

I thought he did well when coming on. straight into the game with some crisp passes.

He needs to work on his shooting and his right foot. A lot

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is so overrated here, I would like someone to quote me and try to convince me what exactly is he great at football pitch?

His short passing is decent, but then he makes a mistake so often in dangerous position that you cannot say he is a good passer.

His long passing is absolutely terrible, and he is not an intelligent passer at all, I have seen him pulling backpass after we just brought the ball to opposition box after 20-30 good passes between our players.

His shooting is worse than Anderson's, which is something.

He is small, hence pretty shit in the air winning the aerials which is underrated part of midfielders job.

He scores too little goals even if he was a defender, let alone box to box midfielder he often plays. He can't be compared to Pogba or Bruno, but his output is nowhere near the likes of Scott or Herrera too. Heck, I bet most of our defenders have better goal and assist output than him.

Only good thing about him is that he sacrificses a lot and runs around, which sometimes means nothing when he is isn't winning many balls anyway, especially in games like last night's. Defensively he is far better than attacking wise, and yet without great defensive and attacking midfielder next to him we have no great midfield again, because he is not great box to box considering he doesn't bring anything special attacking wise, and he is not good defensive midfielder who can play on his own.

Squad player at best, and that's fine for me, but shouldn't be anywhere near starting XI. Good thing about him is that I actually like his character, but then we all liked Anderson too.

UmbroDays

This was not on Fred.

And the post above with paragraphs talking about what Fred brings?!

I swear one loss and every minuscule negative about a player comes out. This whole forum is toxic as feck

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
This was not on Fred.

And the post above with paragraphs talking about what Fred brings?!

I swear one loss and every minuscule negative about a player comes out. This whole forum is toxic as feck
I don't think he did anything wrong last night that I would blame him directly for a draw(nor he did anything spectaculary right anyway), except his shooting that pissed me off so it made me write that post. I could copy that post again when we win and when he is MOTM and the point will still stand, feel free to quote me, disagree with anything that I said and explain what is exactly good at.

CM

Not sure why there's talk of agendas for people flagging up his poor game. Obviously there are 3 or 4 others who were more at fault than Fred for the result but that doesn't change the fact he wasn't at the required standard in the second half.

Fred was one of our better players earlier in the season. McTominay is often criticised for his lack of quality on the ball but I feel he's been putting Fred to shame in that regard lately.

He wasn't bad but i think the game called for a more direct style than he is suited to, especially when coming on midway through the first half and having to quickly adapt to a different position than usual. They knew he would chase everything down whilst the rest of the team stood off, so it was easy to play him out of the game and find space in front of the defence.

Man Utd 1:0 West Ham

laughtersassassin

I'm sorry but this lad is awful.

All he does is buzz around the pitch and put himself about.

Can't pass, can't take a touch In midfield without being dispossessed and he can't shoot.

Bench player at most. If Pogba goes we have to replace him cause Fred will kill us.

He excels at nothing really.

Polar

Good defensive performance, but both him and Matic slows down our offensive play a lot and their distribution is average (at their best).

el3mel

Once he comes close to the opposition's box he's useless. Might as well stay at the back.

MU655

90% accuracy. 2 key passes. Should have had an assist at the end from the pass to Martial. 4 tackles. 3 dribbles completed. He wasn't bad at all; he was actually one of our best players on the pitch.

We were dominant in possession with 62%. We controlled the midfield. We limited West Ham to 3 shots and 1 in target, having 17 and 5 ourselves.

Issue was that there wasn't much room today, and our number 10 went awol.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Went to the same school of shooting as Anderson.

90% accuracy. 2 key passes. Should have had an assist at the end. 4 tackles. 3 dribbles completed. He wasn't bad at all; he was actually one of our best players on the pitch.
this is where it’s pointless to read a game through stats. Numerous time he underhit balls and passed the ball between 2 players. Stats will say they were completed passes. Your eyes will tell you his passing is awful.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Worst game for quite some time. The link between midfield and attack was missing but he for sure isn't the solution. I thought he was asked to do too much. It was a perfect game for Pogba.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You can post stats until you’re blue in the face, the simple matter of fact is he’s a very average player on the ball. He’s at his best off of it, and games like these are further proof of that.

Ekeke

this is where it’s pointless to read a game through stats. Numerous time he underhit balls and passed the ball between 2 players. Stats will say they were completed passes. Your eyes will tell you his passing is awful.
That isnt "stats" fault, thats the fault of not having data from "poor quality passes" or something similar. You need to look at the entire set of stats and data to get an idea of the full picture. When you just select the ones where he did okay, then of course someone with a good engine is going to sound good but all the weak parts of the performance are swept under the carpet.

When you play 139 passes, 3 key passes - especially if we actually watch those pieces of play - is not impressive. He found someone who ended up having a shot after every 46 passes...

MU655

Alright, how many bad passes do you think he made today? I'm just interested in seeing how it compares to the number he actually attempted. I mean he passed a lot today.

Ollie Derbyshire

Should just be told to sit in front of the back 4 and break up attacks, no need to try anything else cause he can’t do it. Lock down that position so McT or Pogba can be the box to box player.

RedIan

I thought he had a good game, pick of a bad bunch in the first 90. His usual odd crap pass and lost the ball once or twice but other than that worked hard as he always does in a defensive midfield role and was neat and tidy going forward.

Red & White

I thought he did OK this evening. He really shouldn’t take any more shots or we could give the lad half an hour extra of shooting practice each afternoon. At least he gives it everything he’s got, even if the quality is lacking sometimes. If every player gave 100% tonight like he does, we’d have won comfortably.

Status
Not open for further replies.