Position: Midfielder - Central Midfield
Foot: Left
Player Agent: Special1Agency
Squad Number: #17
Contract until: 30.06.2023
Contract option: Option for a further year​

Last edited:

sp_107

He really helped us until Pogba/Bruno started for us last season. He will be remembered as a good player for sure.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This isnt a dig at Pogba or Ole (I'm supportive of both) -

Did anyone feel Bruno and the team played better with Fred & Mctomminay together providing a box to box defensive support ?

AsonUnique

Did anyone feel Bruno and the team played better with Fred & Mctomminay together providing a box to box defensive support ?
I enjoyed Fred's cameos at the end of the season, seemed like he was more willing to try some adventurous passes. Coming off a great season and is a hard worker. Think he will do a job splitting time with Matic this coming season, nice to have two different style players to play as DM.

Santoryo

ripping the reward

Not even close. Our best football of the season came right after lock down with a midfield consisting of Bruno, Pogba and Matic when we were absolutely tearing apart teams left, right and center until we got leggy in our last few games.

Speaking of Fred, unlike most on the Caf, I see Ole starting the season with him alongside Pogba and Bruno. His performance against Sevilla was very good and had it not been for pathetic defending and bad finishing we would have walked away from that game winners. Our midfield was head and shoulder above the rest of the field. If there is anything good to take away from the Sevilla game is the midfield performance. I think a midfield of Fred, Pogba and Bruno should be the way to go and even if we don't start the season that way, we'll eventually get to that stage.

Not even close. Our best football of the season came right after lock down when we were absolutely tearing apart teams left, right and center until we got leggy in our last few games.

Speaking of Fred, unlike most on the Caf, I see Ole starting the season with him alongside Pogba and Bruno. His performance against Sevilla was very good and had it not been for pathetic defending and bad finishing we would have walked away from that game winners. Our midfield was head and shoulder above the rest of the field. If there is anything good to take away from the Sevilla game is the midfield performance. I think a midfield of Fred, Pogba and Bruno should be the way to go and even if we don't start the season that way, we'll eventually get to that stage.
So Van de Beek come here to sit on the bench?

Santoryo

ripping the reward
So Van de Beek come here to sit on the bench?
Did people actually thought that VBD would be a starter right away. He's obviously been brought in to add depth given Ole insisted on adding depth because with CL football we can't afford to rest main players during midweek games. His main competitions in midfield are Bruno and Pogba, neither of whom he can displace.

It's a squad game which means he'll get plenty of game time either coming as a substitute or starting other games. Just don't expect to see him in the starting line up in the first few games in the league. He'll probably have part to play(as a sub) but I don't see him starting those games unless either of Bruno or Pogba aren't fit or available to play.

Falcow

Yes. I'm not convinced Pogba and Bruno can be accommodated in the same side.

Bebestation

Not even close. Our best football of the season came right after lock down with a midfield consisting of Bruno, Pogba and Matic when we were absolutely tearing apart teams left, right and center until we got leggy in our last few games.

For me that Fred game is overrated. He had a good game but am I surprised we didnt succeed as a team? Not really.

We cant be playing a 4231 with an attacking player so high up in the formation position with Pogba and Fred being the defensive minded players.

If we play like that we end up getting the good performances but unbalanced results that happen during periods of Ole's tenure.

If we want to play such a way we need to switch to a 433 and get every single one of our midfielders to be able to help defensively aswell as allow them to contribute in attack depending on where the positions open up on the pitch.

That stops the opposition being able to target players like Fred or Pogba on the attack or a counter and instead have to target our whole midfield as a whole unit. I prefer that because Bruno has a great defensive ability and has attacking ability, Pogba then also has the ability to become a more attacking minded player than just focusing on being a deep lying player all the time, The same with players like Fred & Van de Beek - we turn into a midfiel unit.

Why I think the 433 is even better for us is because of Martial. Martial in a 4231 has to play too much of a poacher in front of Rashford and Greenwood (who are playing balls in to martial) when in a 433 it can be he who drops off to play balls in to Rashford & Greenwood.

In your mind what is the benefit of playing

Martial
Rashford- bruno - Greenwood
Fred pogba

Vs
Rashford - Martial- Greenwood
Fred - Bruno - Pogba

Does it really take anything away from our creativity when more creative players are allowed to come forward?

If we play the latter I can see how Van de Beek fits in to any of the midfield 3 without losing too much balance - maybe even cover for Martial at times.

Did people actually thought that VBD would be a starter right away. He's obviously been brought in to add depth given Ole insisted on adding depth because with CL football we can't afford to rest main players during midweek games. His main competitions in midfield are Bruno and Pogba, neither of whom he can displace.

It's a squad game which means he'll get plenty of game time either coming as a substitute or starting other games. Just don't expect to see him in the starting line up in the first few games in the league. He'll probably have part to play(as a sub) but I don't see him starting those games unless either of Bruno or Pogba aren't fit or available to play.
You're deluded if you think Van de Beek will not be a starter. If he's fit he'll play.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
You're deluded if you think Van de Beek will not be a starter. If he's fit he'll play.
Instead of accusing other of delusion, how about you point out where he'll play and who he'll replace? His main competitors are Bruno and Pogba, so unless you think he'll displace them then you should ask yourself who is deluded between the two of us.

Unless you're one of those who thinks Ole will drop his go to formation to play a diamond to accommodate VDB :lol:

Instead of accusing other of delusion, how about you point out where he'll play and who he'll replace? His main competitors are Bruno and Pogba, so unless you think he'll displace them then you should ask yourself who is deluded between the two of us.

Unless you're one of those who thinks Ole will drop his go to formation to play a diamond to accommodate VDB :lol:
I was initially replying to a guy that said Fred would be a starter over Van de Beek.

United haven't spent £40m on a sub. The player would not move to United at this stage of his career to not play first team football.

He will play the vast majority of games, and nobody knows precisely how United will line up. Greenwood won't play 60 games next season. Rashford will be under pressure to perform.

Bruno or Van de Beek could likely be featuring as wide attackers sometimes. Van de Beek can easily play a holding role too. Ole has already spoken about the player's ability to play in any midfield position.

There's a lot up in the air. But for certain United aren't a club that pays £40m for back up players.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I was initially replying to a guy that said Fred would be a starter over Van de Beek.

United haven't spent £40m on a sub. The player would not move to United at this stage of his career to not play first team football.

He will play the vast majority of games, and nobody knows precisely how United will line up. Greenwood won't play 60 games next season. Rashford will be under pressure to perform.

Bruno or Van de Beek could likely be featuring as wide attackers sometimes. Van de Beek can easily play a holding role too. Ole has already spoken about the player's ability to play in any midfield position.

There's a lot up in the air. But for certain United aren't a club that pays £40m for back up players.
Ooh err, Fred cost £50 million. :wenger:

Mr PG

So true. Fred over matic in bigger games and I'm glad Ole see's it that way too. Fred is unbelievable and only lacks the final pass.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
The truth is Fred is actually massively underrated and under appreciated by many. He’s a really good player that would get in most sides.

Ekeke

False. He's a hard worker with limitations in his role (tackling success, small and not very resistant to physicality) who is overhyped because we had to rely on him while we were playing poorly in the first half of the season while Pogba was unavailable. He was one of our better players when we were a mid table team. When we were a team looking to finish 3rd, he was a sub.

Based Adnan

Still not sure what his best role is. Too limited going forward to be a box to box and not good enough or disciplined enough defensively to be a number 6. For me he's looked at his best when he picks up the ball deep in our half on a turnover and we need to transition quickly to counter. There's only a certain amount of games you can use those qualities in in a full season though.

He has his uses but ultimately he's not close to being good enough as a starter. £50M for him was a terrible fee.

James Ward

The truth is Fred is actually massively underrated and under appreciated by many. He’s a really good player that would get in most sides.
What does he actually do? He can spread a pass, that's about it.

He's not premier League champions material. Top six player at best.

Bebestation

Well to be fair the same could be said with alot of Liverpool's midfielders until Klopp turned them in to a unit.

Fred is a decent player, good enough to be in any squad; even if he isnt straight up the first name on the team sheets.

hungrywing

False. He's a hard worker with limitations in his role (tackling success, small and not very resistant to physicality) who is overhyped because we had to rely on him while we were playing poorly in the first half of the season while Pogba was unavailable. He was one of our better players when we were a mid table team. When we were a team looking to finish 3rd, he was a sub.
Boils down to he's not a 50m 150k/wk player. But that's Woodward's fault.

Not disagreeing with your post.

Raven

Fred's a really good player but I think like most he needs a run of games to truly show his quality. He's a great ball winner, has the best engine I've seen since Park 3 lung and can pick a decent pass either through the lines or spreading the play. People might point to dribbled past and tackles success rate stats but he almost always catches up to those players who go past him and wins the ball.

I think given his performances last season before the lock down and against Copenhagen and Seville, he's likely to start the season in the first 11. I could be wrong but I think he's our best option currently for that role next to Pogba.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Presses really well, never stops running, tackles and intercepts a lot during matches and can hold the ball when being pressed well. Not a bad passer either but inconsistent.

Needs to improve his goal scoring / assists but everything else especially off the ball is really good.

Look back to his performance against Sevilla and you can see exactly what be brings for us.

criticalanalysis

What the feck has he done or not done in training to get game time?

I'll say it again for the 50th time. Criminally under used and under utilised.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
What the feck has he done or not done in training to get game time?

I'll say it again for the 50th time. Criminally under used and under utilised.
Ole loves McTominay so much that he keeps giving him every chance to replace Matic. He does this quite often, tries to force Scott in that deeper role which never work than ends up using Fred who did end up doing the job in the Europa league. I don't know why Ole went back to McTominay when he was already onto something with Fred in that role. I just hope this has to do with Fred's level of readiness since he didn't feature against Aston Villa in the friendly rather than Ole going back to prioritizing and preferring McTominay over Fred in that deeper role.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Silly for Mctominay to start over Fred who is clearly the better player.

AsonUnique

Silly for Mctominay to start over Fred who is clearly the better player.
Tactics would have had to have been a little different but I think Fred should have started over Pogba. Pogba wasn't ready and we could have brought Pogba on when chasing a goal.

Bebestation

Tactics would have had to have been a little different but I think Fred should have started over Pogba. Pogba wasn't ready and we could have brought Pogba on when chasing a goal.
I'm not one of those fans that hate on Pogba but Fred & Mctomminay played better with Bruno than Pogba did. So I agree. If Mctomminay is playing then Fred should play because Mctomminay is a box to box with good defensive capabilities which is helped by Fred's extra defensive capabilities.

If Pogba is going to play we need to stop the 4231, play a CDM and let both him and Bruno play off the CDM to get both players creativity.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I'm not one of those fans that hate on Pogba but Fred & Mctomminay played better with Bruno than Pogba did.

If Pogba is going to play we need to stop the 4231, play a CDM and let both him and Bruno play off each them to get both players creativity.
This is clearly not. We've played our best football in God knows how long with a midfield of Pogba and Bruno together. Also one of our best midfield performance came in the Sevilla game with Fred, Pogba and Bruno.

Bebestation

This is clearly not. We've played our best football in God knows how long with a midfield of Pogba and Bruno together. Also one of our best midfield performance came in the Sevilla game with Fred, Pogba and Bruno.
I had this talk with you before.
That's your opinion.

Foxbatt

When we need the tempo in midfield we need Fred. He is the one who has the engine and the tempo to make things happen. Yes he does give the ball away but he invariably gets it back too. He needs to be in midfield. He is the water carrier.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I'm not one of those fans that hate on Pogba but Fred & Mctomminay played better with Bruno than Pogba did.
Yes and no. When Pogba first came back in they played good football, better than what we did with Fred and McTominay. But after a while Bruno seemed to start playing differently than what he had been previously, not coming back to help out the midfield so much (this was also around the time he started giving the ball away for fun) and that's when we started struggling. It was noticeable that against Sevilla he was coming deeper to help out again, and it was easily the best we played in the last month or so of the season even though we lost.

So we played our best football when we had both Pogba and Bruno, but also played our worst (obviously taking it only from when Bruno joined). And before anybody blames Pogba for that inconsistency, it was Bruno who was the one who really changed in form and playstyle. What we don't know is whether that change in his play happened for a tactical reason or whether it was a result of his form dropping away and making the wrong decisions.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I was disappointed to see McTominay ahead of Fred again in that midfield role. It never worked last season when we attempted it, and I hoped that the last few games showed Fred had pushed ahead of him as he played well.

Maybe McTominay had a better pre-season preparation and that's why he was chosen. Hopefully it wasn't Ole thinking McTominay is better in that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.