Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

HowYouDoin

I prefer Fred to Matic in that DM role.
Our best game was actually vs Sevilla and he was bossing it. We should have scored 5 goals that game.

I want to see Fred Bruno and DVB together.

Funny isn't it how we view football?

The player who actually doesn't fit what United are trying to do is Pogba.

He is more likely to leave the club before Fred. I wouldn't call him a guaranteed starter at the moment.
Pogba is being eased back in, and should not be judged by the matches we have played thus far. Whether Pogba fits, or can be the player we want/ expect/ need is a different question.

I’m not sure either player fits. As this is the Fred thread, I’ll talk about him. He doesn’t excel at anything. In two years we have seen patches of him being able to play to a decent standard - but have seen nothing to suggest why we paid so much money for him.

HowYouDoin

Pogba is being eased back in, and should not be judged by the matches we have played thus far. Whether Pogba fits, or can be the player we want/ expect/ need is a different question.

I’m not sure either player fits. As this is the Fred thread, I’ll talk about him. He doesn’t excel at anything. In two years we have seen patches of him being able to play to a decent standard - but have seen nothing to suggest why we paid so much money for him.
Dude Fred was incredible last season up until the lockdown, thats when we started hitting our stride and then well he had one mediocre half vs Tottenham, Pogba came on, looked like million bucks and Fred got demoted again. Its a shame really but last year was his breakout season and he was incredible. He was clearly incredible last year. He never stopped running never had any fatigue, 95th minute of every game he was running like its 95th second.

I do believe he is underutilised here cuz he can play the DM. None of our other players can sans Matic and Fred also has attributes that are better than what Matic brings to the table.
He should be a starter over Matic if you ask me.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't know why he was trying those long passes to our forwards, time and time again. Quality of those passes aside, it was very naive from him.

He's a good midfielder, should be picked ahead of Pogba on current form. Worth a try, as we need some energy alongside Matic.

Litch

Exactly this is my point, when Shakhtar asked 50m someone should have told them to feck off, since he isn't worth that. Yeah some agenda I have, can you tell me which club do you feel would pay more than 20m for Fred? And why in the name of God would they do that?
Football is all about opinions and irrespective of whether you rate any player or not, my point is your opinion is silent until he has an indifferent game. There are many players I dislike but as a fan I can recognise the difference between being poor and having a good game irrespective of my agenda. You clearly can not.....

edcunited1878

He couldn't pass wind, never mind the ball to a teammate last night.
He like a lot of players were loose with the ball...guess you didn't know they were playing in such torrential downpour last night.

Don't have an issue with Fred and he's continued to do well for himself and the team.

Zoo

Came on and ran, tackled, showed spirit. He should be a starter.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Ok he runs about but his passing was / is dreadful. Hes bench material at best,
We looked at our best arguably when him and Scott were behind Bruno when Pogba was injured IMO. He just needs consistency. No good chopping and changing every week. Him and Scott have suffered massively from this.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Definitely worth a try to play him alongside Matic or even McTominay. We're losing every midfield battle with Matic-Pogba "partnership". His passing is erratic but if he keeps it simple he'll be fine.

reddevil80

He always wants one or two touches too many then fails to hit a pass. At Shakhtar he was a stand out player in a realtively decent team, not at OT. He will never be good enough in my eyes. Tenacious and fast does not make a midfielder. A lot of the times he tackles back are because it was he who lost the ball in the first place. I would rather keep rotating Mc / Matic / Mejbri alongside Pogba / Bruno / Donny. I would even go so far as to say Hamilton should get a few run outs this season, ahead of Fred.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I've said it so many times now that it's getting boring but I think Fred is a part of our best midfield.
He is. A far better player than Scot . He and Matic has to be the double pilot always. One of Pogba , Bruno and DVB can fight for the third spot unless we move to a different formation that allows 4 midfielders.

Shows how badly we have recruited again.

Mr PG

I said the night before the game against Tottenham (and Ole has been avoiding playing Matic and Pogba in big games but he second guessed himself or whatever went to his head) that this would be a disaster. The reason we took so many points against the top 6 last season was because of the McT/Fred midfield combo. You add Bruno to the mix and that combo would go toe to toe against any team in the premier league.

There's a big reason Guardiola wanted Fred.

All our midfield problems are from trying to shoehorn Pogba into the team.

Pogba/Matic combo is better against smaller teams.

tomaldinho1

Fred would be fantastic if he was coached a bit more into just keeping play ticking over and playing simpler passes. He's like a duracell bunny and covers an amazing amount of ground defensively but his passing isn't great - this is why we need to scrap the double pivot as you could play him deep on his own (essentially like Kante played at Leicester) and then allow Bruno, Pogba or VdB to build attacks further up the field in more dangerous areas. A big part of our tactical issue is we play football in non threatening areas or just lump the ball forward hoping Rashford or Martial can beat their man for pace, we need to utilise the players we have and stop using them in the wrong way.

Danillaco

Fred is incredibly underrated, sure he took his time to adapt, but he's the least of our problems in midfield.
He is our best option, for the future to hold the mid. Would like to see him, Bruno and VdB.

Raven

He is. A far better player than Scot . He and Matic has to be the double pilot always. One of Pogba , Bruno and DVB can fight for the third spot unless we move to a different formation that allows 4 midfielders.

Shows how badly we have recruited again.
I disagree. In the long run, Matic should be dropped.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He’s our most press resistant midfielder but he’s got a howler in him and he plays too risky a game when he’s the sole dm. I prefer him as a box to box or at least sitting in a 2. I really don’t fully understand how we are going into another season with Matic as our only real DM. We just about got away with it last season... he needed replacing not a new deal. Take Pogba out whatever happens.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

Fred has always played well when he is given a run in the side. He should be played instead of Pogba. I would like to see a diamond with Matic, Fred, DVB and Bruno in midfield. With Martial and whoever else up front.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
And replace with who ? He is our best player to be played in that double pilot. He just need the right partners.
Fred was given two starts in that position at the end of last season and his performances were better than Matic was doing at the time (including being probably the best player in the EL semi-final).

At the very least he's earned the right to get more opportunities, and especially to be ahead of McTominay for that role.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Never understand the idea of calling Matic as our best player to be played in double pivot. The guy only had 6 months good period which occurred this year January. Other than that, he's been poor.

If anything the one who has been consistently our best player in double pivot before the lockdown was Fred. Either he played with Matic or Scott he's been playing the same way ever since he started playing regularly from that 1-1 Liverpool game, he's been crucial for us in midfield. Our result was inconsistent not because our defense or Fred in double pivot but because we lack creativity for the final third to break the lowblock teams, until Bruno came and improve the lack of creativity.

Obviously Fred wasn't the same post lockdown but I would say it's more of a match fitness after long break due to his playing style. The guy was picked by Ole over Matic in semi final against Sevilla and I thought he was our man of the match, he was everywhere.

If anything I prefer our double pivot to cover lot of ground, offer lot of energy & work rate, willing to chase the opposition runners and likes to press. Good example is watch Bayern double pivot Kimmich & Goretzka. Neither are Matic type of player, if anything they are both box to box and much more identical to Fred than Matic. However, I wouldn't rule out Matic's role in the team as he has something to offer against certain opposition and certain situation.

acnumber9

Never understand the idea of calling Matic as our best player to be played in double pivot. The guy only had 6 months good period which occurred this year January. Other than that, he's been poor.

If anything the one who has been consistently our best player in double pivot before the lockdown was Fred. Either he played with Matic or Scott he's been playing the same way ever since he started playing regularly from that 1-1 Liverpool game, he's been crucial for us in midfield. Our result was inconsistent not because our defense or Fred in double pivot but because we lack creativity for the final third to break the lowblock teams, until Bruno came and improve the lack of creativity.

Obviously Fred wasn't the same post lockdown but I would say it's more of a match fitness after long break due to his playing style. The guy was picked by Ole over Matic in semi final against Sevilla and I thought he was our man of the match, he was everywhere.

If anything I prefer our double pivot to cover lot of ground, offer lot of energy & work rate, willing to chase the opposition runners and likes to press. Good example is watch Bayern double pivot Kimmich & Goretzka. Neither are Matic type of player, if anything they are both box to box and much more identical to Fred than Matic. However, I wouldn't rule out Matic's role in the team as he has something to offer against certain opposition and certain situation.
Our form and defensive record improved drastically when Matic came back into the team. This great form Fred supposedly had coincided with when the team was nowhere near good enough in any area of the pitch. His performances that get held up as his great ones have invariably been in games where we completely surrendered the midfield.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Our form and defensive record improved drastically when Matic came back into the team. This great form Fred supposedly had coincided with when the team was nowhere near good enough in any area of the pitch. His performances that get held up as his great ones have invariably been in games where we completely surrendered the midfield.
Our team when Fred was in the team was good enough to draw against Liverpool, beat City, Spurs & Chelsea and we went through those games without Matic. Our problem was always been against the lowblock team and it’s not Fred’s fault or we missed Matic for the reason why we couldn’t break the low block defense team, it was down to lack creativity in the final third which was improved when Bruno came in replaced Pereira/Lingard.

acnumber9

Our team when Fred was in the team was good enough to draw against Liverpool, beat City, Spurs & Chelsea and we went through those games without Matic. Our problem was always been against the lowblock team and it’s not Fred’s fault or we missed Matic for the reason why we couldn’t break the low block defense team, it was down to lack creativity in the final third which was improved when Bruno came in replaced Pereira/Lingard.
We conceded 24 goals in the 23 league games Fred started. We conceded 14 in the 18 Matic started. Fred isn’t a good defensive player and he’s not good going forward. He’s decent at running around to little real effect.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We conceded 24 goals in the 23 league games Fred started. We conceded 14 in the 18 Matic started. Fred isn’t a good defensive player and he’s not good going forward. He’s decent at running around to little real effect.
Talking stats but ignoring the real context is very poor way to judge.

Against city 2-1 we conceded from corner, against Liverpool 1-1 we conceded from Robertson crossing where Rojo should have clear it, against spurs 2-1 we conceded again from crossing after McTominay gave the ball away near our penalty box area, against Norwich 3-1 we conceded from McTominay gave the ball away from our half, against Everton 1-1 we conceded from corner lindelof own goal, against Bournemouth 0-1 we conceded from crossing that King scored easy goal from Bissaka ball watching error.

Majority of those goals came from set pieces and individual errors which nothing Fred could do to change things defensively.

In reality our xGa (expected goal against) was the 3rd best in the league before Bruno came, it was down to the fact that opposition teams struggled to create a good chance to score and they needed to rely on set pieces & our individual errors to score and Fred’s form was part of it.

acnumber9

Talking stats but ignoring the real context is very poor way to judge.

Against city 2-1 we conceded from corner, against Liverpool 1-1 we conceded from Robertson crossing where Rojo should have clear it, against spurs 2-1 we conceded again from crossing after McTominay gave the ball away near our penalty box area, against Norwich 3-1 we conceded from McTominay gave the ball away from our half, against Everton 1-1 we conceded from corner lindelof own goal, against Bournemouth 0-1 we conceded from crossing that King scored easy goal from Bissaka ball watching error.

Majority of those goals came from set pieces and individual errors which nothing Fred could do to change things defensively.

In reality our xGa (expected goal against) was the 3rd best in the league before Bruno came, it was down to the fact that opposition teams struggled to create a good chance to score and they needed to rely on set pieces & our individual errors to score and Fred’s form was part of it.
It’s a simple fact our defence improved when Matic came into the team. Fred doesn’t leave the pitch when those set pieces occur. Fred can run more than Matic. That’s where his advantage over Matic begins and ends. I don’t believe it’s a net benefit unless we’re happy to continue being the fifth or sixth best team in the league.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It’s a simple fact our defence improved when Matic came into the team. Fred doesn’t leave the pitch when those set pieces occur. Fred can run more than Matic. That’s where his advantage over Matic begins and ends. I don’t believe it’s a net benefit unless we’re happy to continue being the fifth or sixth best team in the league.
The reason why the other players made individual errors and couldn’t win aerial duel were must be because Fred’s existence sending bad distraction to the other player, you are death right.

Simple fact is coming from simple mind, focus on stats but not watching the game to know what’s happening is such lazy argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.