Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Thought he was pretty shit and deserved to be subbed.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
His passing has been sloppy in previous games this season but today it was back to normal. One sloppy one in the second half but otherwise he was good. Thought he was significantly better than McTominay and was unlucky to be the one coming off, although McTominay did step up after that and had a very strong end to the match.

Litch

Must have stuck in my mind for some reason. I like him though so happy if it wasn't as bad as I remember it today.
I think it's like most players and how they start. This seems to be our point of reference good, bad and indifferent.....

DarkXaero

He wasn't good on the ball today, but his energy and work off the ball was fantastic, and it's what we desperately need in our midfield. Unlucky to be subbed before McTominay, but not surprising at all given the British bias.

edgecutter

The problem with Fred is the price tag that hangs over his head. He should offer more considering the fee he came for, which isn't his fault, but it makes it difficult to fully praise the small things he does well.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He wasn't good on the ball today, but his energy and work off the ball was fantastic, and it's what we desperately need in our midfield. Unlucky to be subbed before McTominay, but not surprising at all given the British bias.
Or he might have to play midweek but go ahead with this bullshit that a Norwegian manager is biased towards a Scottish player.

SaboTaj

He was pretty underwhelming. The bit that’s annoying is he somehow manages to make a mess of simple passes even when he’s under no pressure.

DarkXaero

The problem with Fred is the price tag that hangs over his head. He should offer more considering the fee he came for, which isn't his fault, but it makes it difficult to fully praise the small things he does well.
Yeah, I think this is accurate, and the main reason why United fans can't fully warm up to Fred as a United player. He was never going to live up to that price tag, because we overpaid by a lot, just like we've done in other transfers.

DarkXaero

Or he might have to play midweek but go ahead with this bullshit that a Norwegian manager is biased towards a Scottish player.
He might have to play midweek, but this isn't anything new based off one match, Ole has preferred McTominay over Fred in the past.

Walters_19_MuFc

Shouldn't be an excuse but Fred, as we saw last season, needs a run of games to passing up to standard. What he does give you, though, is energy and plays at a quick tempo as we saw tonight. Expect him to start vs PSG.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yeah we he came off!
That doesn’t reflect the match at all. We had lot of chances to win the match earlier today before he got subbed off, you have to give credit to Newcastle keeper. If we have Greenwood in place of James we could actually do much better in our finishing today.

Pogba replaced him was perfect timing when Newcastle players were gassed off which put Pogba’s defensive responsibility much easier.

Devil may care

Interesting to see the mixed views where McTominay thread has people waxing lyrical like he's the new Redondo. I thought Fred was decent in terms of hustle and keeping our energy high and combative, he's always going to be erratic with his passing.

HowYouDoin

Yep, worked the last time.....
Absolutely.
The thing with Fred I feel, he offers so much that you dont see on the stat sheet. He truly is an intangibles player and its no coincidence that we always perform the best when he plays.

I personally think Fred and McTominay have to start, we look by far the best with them starting and if we even think about changing it, it should only be for VDB because he also plays with great energy yet he might be better and more talented than both.
So yeah only for him.
Definitely not for either Pogba or Matic. Matic is too slow and Pogba is a bit slow, defensively irresponsible and lazy and we have been through it before. We simply are much better with Fred and McT, our best midfield, proven time and time again. At the very least one of them should always play, preferably Fred but ideally both of them unless VDB takes the place from one of them.

Red00012

Any chance they’d insert a clause in his contract where if he shoots he gets fined a weeks wages ?

Kostov

I think he was bad to average last night. Couple of solid moments just before he got subbed off, but otherwise typically Fred performance, bad passing, easy to bypass and shit awareness.

Untd55

I know people keep on questioning his passing, but he had 91% accuracy against Newcastle; only Mata had higher. It seems like people only seem to take notice of some players. McTominay had 87% for instance.

He also had 3 tackles (second highest after Fernandes) and was dispossessed only once. He was fine against Newcastle.

Raven

I know people keep on questioning his passing, but he had 91% accuracy against Newcastle; only Mata had higher. It seems like people only seem to take notice of some players. McTominay had 87% for instance.

He also had 3 tackles (second highest after Fernandes) and was dispossessed only once. He was fine against Newcastle.
Who knew people on the Caf had absolutely no idea what they were talking about? It would take a blind man to perceive Fred's performance last night as anything less than solid. I thought he was great.

Andersons Dietician

I think when you combine Fred with players like Bruno, Mata and VDB you’ll get the best out of him. They all understand passing and movement. Pogba, Matic and MCT are too stiff in what they do.

Thought Fred was really good yesterday. Exactly what you want from him except the shooting from distance. Agree he probably should be fined for everytime he thinks of taking a crack from outside the 18 yarder.

He just keeps things going and makes himself a nuisance to the opposition. Saint Maxim did absoulutley bin him and a few others with an outrageous bit of skill but other than that he was great.

HowYouDoin

He clearly needs some time to get going. The way he played before lockdown, he was bossing each game, he was incredible. He was our own Kante. Never should have been dropped.

Again its no coincidence that our best team, all of our best line ups always feature Fred.
Fred and McT is our best midfield duo but also Fred along with Pogba (not an easy task) completely bossed that Sevilla midfield, that was a great game. And heck you can go all the way back to the PSG game. Fred and McT again.

Personally Im okay with Fred and McT starting. Our best midfield duo. By far the most balanced. Only change it if you feel VDB can replace McT.

dal

There two honest midfielders who are nothing special however they are willing to run there heart out which sometimes helps us for games.

Litch

People need to move on from the Fred that started here to the one that's here now. People's memories are short that from October to lockdown, he enabled us to even be in touch to 3rd place. For many he was our player of the season prior to signing Bruno. Some of our best football was a midfield of Matic, Fred and Bruno. The other issue is the myth about his passing, his pass percentage is often in the 90's and many of them are forward and between the lines. Not saying he's the answer but he's not the problem as many would like others to believe....

Litch

There two honest midfielders who are nothing special however they are willing to run there heart out which sometimes helps us for games.
Seems to work for Liverpool. Who'd have picked 2 out of those 3 for any top 5 team not to mention in Europe?

Matt851

I thought he was ok - covered a lot of ground and one the ball back a lot but also gave it away quite regularly with heavy first touches and shoddy passing

Would persist with him though because he seems to require a run of games to get sharp and think he is a better option than McT or matic as the deepest midfielder

Litch

Yep, seen it many times on here with players. Often if it's a response to a poor transfer window, the players that get signed become the scapegoat. Also if you start poorly on here, irrespective of how you play after that, that will always be manys point of reference. The classic is Fred's poor passing and that's cause people are looking for it but ignoring the 90% of the time he doesn't especially when he does look to pass forward. The other issue he had was being caught on the ball at CDM, that now doesn't happen.

Say again, I'm not saying he's the answer but I thought Man Utd was all about tackling adversity when everything is up against you. I can't imagine what it must have been like with the media, ex legends like Keane ridiculing you and our own fan base yet to turn it around. As much has people don't rate him, our best performances are when he plays.

Litch

I thought he was ok - covered a lot of ground and one the ball back a lot but also gave it away quite regularly with heavy first touches and shoddy passing

Would persist with him though because he seems to require a run of games to get sharp and think he is a better option than McT or matic as the deepest midfielder
91% pass percentage and where were these heavy touches?

Kostov

Who knew people on the Caf had absolutely no idea what they were talking about? It would take a blind man to perceive Fred's performance last night as anything less than solid. I thought he was great.
Same should be said about anyone who describes that performance as great.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He really speeds up our play, is good at beating the press, he plays forward passes and he works his ass off. I don’t know why he divides opinion so much. Every midfield needs relentless grafters and it’s not matic and it’s not pogba. He was my POTS before lockdown. He’s a good player and I’m glad we have him. Hopefully he plays on Tuesday. We need that energy in there to unsettle their rhythm. Going forward If we can win the midfield battle our attackers will really flourish instead of feeding off scraps or always trying to walk it in against a set defence. I’d go with the same team again for PSG with martial replacing James. It’s pretty solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.