Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andersons Dietician

And people say Fred is rubbish.

What a performance, surely those stats above are wrong because there must have been more tackles and interceptions.

simplyared

I'm not a fan. That said his best performance in a utd shirt for me tonight. If he can string a few more performances together like that then he can be useful. Actually noticed him trying a dribble. It didn't come off but it was close. More of that!

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
MOTM for me.

If you look at a recording of the game and look at everytime Neymar went deep to get the ball, Fred screened off every possible dangerous through ball, forcing Neymar to either do an (unsuccessful) flick or play it down the flank.

He was also immense when moving the ball the 2nd third of the field.
Was way too nervous to notice this, but I'll watch it again. Really good observation if true.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Mcfred comes as a pair. Both complement the other
Fred played very well with Matic for those few games before lockdown last season as well (including beating Chelsea and City), and even with Pogba against Sevilla in the Europa (even though we lost it was actually our best performance for a month or two). Basically, he really should be first choice IMO and the others can rotate around him depending on what we need.

led_scholes

He is the new Nicky Butt. He will never be our star, but he is a reliable player and a fighter.

Skills

Snitch
Fred played very well with Matic for those few games before lockdown last season as well (including beating Chelsea and City), and even with Pogba against Sevilla in the Europa (even though we lost it was actually our best performance for a month or two). Basically, he really should be first choice IMO and the others can rotate around him depending on what we need.
This. Fred is in our best midfield irrespective of who else is playing. He makes the rest of them look better - even Bruno looks better when Fred there, because :

a) he does his job in terms of getting the ball back and protecting the defense

b) he doesn't go wondering and leaving his midfield partners to cover for him (i.e. McTominay)

c) He doesn't feck around when he's got the ball at his feet. He's actually a great passer and gets the ball forwards in a couple of touches

He can be a bit careless at times when we're dithering with the ball in front of our own box, but even Pogba and Matic have lost the ball there. That's a team issue in us not being able to confidently get the ball out from back.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's come a long way since his debut season. I've said it a million times but his energy and pressing is outstanding. He and McTominay have knocked Matic way down the pecking order.

Gordon S

Delighted to see him back to the form he had for spells last season. Covers so much ground, wins duels, keeps the ball in the team. Our best cm when he is on form.

Eugenius

He was much better tonight. Both him and McTominay played twice as well as they did that night, people overreacted because they werent rated back then and our first choice midfield had played and lost against PSG. They came out of the game with great credit for competing with PSG, but PSG were still on top in midfield.

Today it was far more mature from both Fred and McTominay and we were the better team in the middle
Fair. But also played against a very average PSG midfield this time around.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
What a performance. Man of the match. Mourinho’s best signing.
Seconded. Rashford will steal the show and rightly so for his great winner but Fred, what a player. So underrated. Those numbers are insane alone but his general contribution is huge, people don't even realise how much, unlike Matic he covers so much more space a gives our game whole new level of dynamism. starting the press 20 m higher than usually gives us so many more opening than usual with our at times zombie football, chasing the ball immediately when we concede possession to put us on the front foot. Just look how many times he intelligently won it back for us to quickly release some of our attackers. No wonder we play much better with him in the side and closer to what we imagined would be modern football.

Actually think we could play a nice diamond formation with all the players and mainly talented midfielders we have. Easily 4-1-2-1-2 when defending and 4-2-2-2 when attacking. I feel Fred will play a huge part in our future success

Rajma

My motm, whenever he plays even when he’s having an off game in terms of passing we’re always very quick in our transitions and are able to recycle the ball much quicker and better as well as providing a good energy and defensive stability. No more Matic-Pogba lethargic showings please.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Although we already knew how good he can be (just review this thread from last season), it surprised me how confident he was under pressure. Didn't try any difficult passes too, which helped.

Once he gets going he's one of the most consistent players.

mu4c_20le

Although we already knew how good he can be (just review this thread from last season), it surprised me how confident he was under pressure. Didn't try any difficult passes too, which helped.

Once he gets going he's one of the most consistent players.
It's baffling how off tempo and out of sorts he can look in some games, and then so sharp against top opposition like tonight. Almost like a machine requiring calibration.

Skills

Snitch
Just like Henderson really.
He's got much more locker than Henderson really. He'd genuinely be dynamite if he played for Liverpool.

McTominay potentially is more in Henderson's category ability wise.

hubbuh

He’s an absolute joy to watch when he plays like that. Completely showed Herrera up. Bossed the midfield alongside McT.

Type of game he thrives in. Neymar was getting frustrated with how well Fred was defending him in the second half. We might have overpaid for him but he's a brilliant utility player.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
The 2 games he started, 2 away wins.

He was also the starter in europa league where we played very well IMO. don't get why he was dropped at beginning of this season

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It's baffling how off tempo and out of sorts he can look in some games, and then so sharp against top opposition like tonight. Almost like a machine requiring calibration.
I'm not sure about that to be honest. It seems to me people are not giving him any slack and expect him to do wonders even after no regular football for months. You really need to give a couple of games to make a judgment.

Devil may care

He was a pitbull in midfield tonight, he remains erratic on the ball but his energy and tenacity in midfield are of real value.

El-Manos

How often did he win the ball back tonight ? Superb performance. Deserves more game time.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I'm not a fan. That said his best performance in a utd shirt for me tonight. If he can string a few more performances together like that then he can be useful. Actually noticed him trying a dribble. It didn't come off but it was close. More of that!
you are one of his biggest haters on here but the fact is if he’d stayed in the team post lockdown on the same kind of form he probably would have been our player of the season. Certainly our most improved player. He’s been like this in lots of games and he’s finally getting the recognition he’s deserved. He never stops running and hassling. He never let’s the other teams engine room settle and find their rhythm. The best teams need players like this to do the grunt work and play the ball forward fast. Embrace Fred the red! MOTM

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Let’s just hope if it happens again with 1 or 2 bad games out of 20 great/good games in a row like last season won’t make you guys forget about those good/great games he had/has. He was our best player and most consistent before the lockdown.

CM

There has been a noticeable difference in intensity since Fred's come back in. Relentless, and it's infectious when you've got a player like that.

Alemar

Such Fred would have gotten in the starting XI of many great teams. McTominay, on the contrary, would not - Fred is much more important in this setup.

flawless performance, second best today only after de Gea

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
His mobility and energy are exactly what we need in that position. If he can stop being so erratic on the ball he could be great in that deeper role.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He was really struggling when he first came here, but he is a nightmare to play against and suits our pressing tactic perfectly. I love how his ability to win the ball is so dominant and set up counters and easy goals like it was nothing. The combination of him and Bruno is really good. If we could get a physically dominant CDM, that also has quick feet and is more dynamic than Matic, with some playmaking skills our midfield would be sorted. Pogba isn't that player, VdB isn't that player and I'm not sure McTominay is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.