Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

eire-red

He's very consistent because he plays the game very simply all the time. He's not spectacular in either final third, but excels in the middle third at turning over the ball, pressing, shutting off passing lanes and is good on the ball too. Never tries to be too elaborate, and usually finds more creative players with his passes.

When he plays, it provides us with a greater platform both defensively and offensively because he wins the ball so high, time after time. I feel like he's underappreciated because when we lose/draw, he gets slammed for not being creative enough, or 'limited', but that's just his game.

Problem is, without Bruno/Pogba higher up the pitch to create, a midfield two of Fred and McTominay is not dynamic enough. But without them, we lack energy and steel. It's important to find that balance, but I think Ole is realising our game misses that energy and aggressiveness when at least one of Fred or McTominay don't play.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Aside from repeatedly winning the ball back, he was pretty composed in picking up any loose balls around the edge of the box and helping us to transition. He was excellent at the basic stuff tonight which, in itself, isn't an easy feat against quality opposition. Very impressive.

shahzy

in tight game against good teams i much rather fred than matic. 1 single DM isnt going to win you a game against high quality opposition. Its the whole teams job to defend. So why not have that DM have better agility, better dribbling out of tight spaces (especially as there is less against good opposition) and leave Matic as the backup option for Fred. I would like to see him given a chance as the sole DM leaving Pogba, Bruno, DVB to do their thing further up the field. If youre going to play a single DM he has to be agile and fast which fred evidently is

DeeDee7

This guy is essential in almost every game. Its certainly not going to be every game a Fred and McT combo will work but no one in our squad matches what Fred brings defensively and in breaking up play. But once again evidence that to flourish we need a proper engine room. No Pogba in a midfield 2.
Diamond is a different story.

AR87

I've always rated him. He's the type of mid who provides the platform for everybody else to thrive. People always forget this when he has a bad performance for some reason but he's a very good player with an attitude and spirit that this team needs on the pitch. He'll never hide from the action even when he's having a horror show. That's a skill.

Tony247

Immense. Very controlled performance. Started counters, tackles. 9/10 and MOTM.

Tony247

Fred was taking p!ss at Di Maria whole game...like he had some personal issues to settle. Loved it.

Tony247

I got emotional last night watching him and then rewatching this.

Unreal. Complete no nonsense performance. I have become a big fan of him. Still remember how I wrote him off after first season. He really came a long way. So proud of him. Well done kid, keep it up.

hungrywing

Unreal. Complete no nonsense performance. I have become a big fan of him. Still remember how I wrote him off after first season. He really came a long way. So proud of him. Well done kid, keep it up.
Right there with you. Not as far as written off, but I ridiculed Woodward for falling for the 'City in for Fred' stories and overpaying to get him.

Ekeke

They have telepathic understanding between them. Shame Ole don't exploit that strength often.
Because in matches where teams are sitting back they lack a cutting edge to help open teams up.

This is the kind of game that was made for them, where we're going to have less of the ball and try to counter attack. So there was plenty of battles in midfield to try and win the ball for Fred, which he did. And then when Bruno and Fred werent able to win the ball McTominay could step in from a deeper position to clean it up.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
He shouldn't have been dropped at the start of the season. He's carrying on his good form from the Europa league.

EdinburghDevil

Had an excellent game last night. Felt he was less erratic and a lot more controlled in the way he played.

For me, whether it's the 3-5-2 or 4-2-3-1 we look more balanced with McT and Fred. I suspect we might see Matic back in the team at the weekend, however.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
MOTM for me. Do we have any stats on how many times he won the ball back?

He's perfect for these games when we are set up to be compact and transition quickly on the counter attack. All his best performances that stick in my memory are against PSG, Chelsea, Liverpool etc.

Jinn

He's starting to convince me. Good game last night.

MikeeMike

I will get berated for saying this. I just watched the game again and must be not seeing Fred the same way as everyone else. In the first half he literally stood in his own space and was always slow to close down. He had very few touches which were mostly sideways passes. When we have the ball in our own half he never shows for a pass. He constantly ball watches. He never sprints anywhere and is always jogging.
I thought, although he didn’t really make any mistakes, his performance was ordinary. PSG tactics, effectively left him free in that zone. Please feel free to point out what I am not getting.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I will get berated for saying this. I just watched the game again and must be not seeing Fred the same way as everyone else. In the first half he literally stood in his own space and was always slow to close down. He had very few touches which were mostly sideways passes. When we have the ball in our own half he never shows for a pass. He constantly ball watches. He never sprints anywhere and is always jogging.
I thought, although he didn’t really make any mistakes, his performance was ordinary. PSG tactics, effectively left him free in that zone. Please feel free to point out what I am not getting.
Scott was more dominant and the better one in first half. Second half Fred was the better & more dominant. Fred was much more active defensively in 2nd half since Scott had taken yellow in first half. If you are going to watch, watch the whole match not the first half only.

Levenstein

You watched the wrong game :D

His timing was very good when he made tackles. Overall very smart and considered play, he totally dominated the midfield. How can someone, who makes 8 tackles and interceptions, be jogging? He always shows for a pass and opens up the game for others. Also he made lot of front passes between the lines.

He also made 2 successful dribbles. The side we haven't seen much from him.

Top performance in my opinion.

kolli

Really love about him how good he is at dribbling and tackling with his right foot. Countless times that I think he lost the ball or it's out of his reach and then he gets a comfortable touch with his right foot and moves forward

Fairly typical Fred performance to me, absolutely bossed it. Between him and Axe for my MOTM.
Yep, same here. Very telling that people are saying “I’ve never seen him play like this”. They didn’t watch the majority of big games in 19/20?

MikeeMike

You watched the wrong game :D

His timing was very good when he made tackles. Overall very smart and considered play, he totally dominated the midfield. How can someone, who makes 8 tackles and interceptions, be jogging? He always shows for a pass and opens up the game for others. Also he made lot of front passes between the lines.

He also made 2 successful dribbles. The side we haven't seen much from him.

Top performance in my opinion.
I’d be interest in a montage of his involvment as I just watched first half again and I stand by what I said. Not saying he was bad but cant understand why everyone is raving about him today.
I concede he was quality at breaking up the play in 2nd half

Litch

Fred and Scott carried that Midfield when we went on the run when Ole first came in. Fred carried the midfield from Sept to Jan 20 with numerous partners when Pogs, Matic and Scott were injured until Bruno came in. MOTM performances week in week out, and many POTS. Fred and Matic played well together before the lockdown and Europa final, best player on the pitch for 60 mins. Fred best games are against the better teams Juve, PSG x2, Chelsea, Arsenal, City....the list goes on. It's a shame that some fans are still stuck on his start of his career here and yes he was poor but not easy playing for a manager that didn't want you but played you to rub Pogs nose in it, and joining a club during one of the most toxic periods in its history. Not easy when Clubs Legends Gary and Roy publicly belittle you either on Sky.

Performances like this, to turn adversity into a positive and to prove people wrong is everything that we want from a Utd player.

GlasgowCeltic

Apparently flagged as the weak link on talksport this morning, best player on the pitch for me. McToms style portrays a leader in CM but it’s Fred who’s running it

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He wasn't particularly good on or off the ball in the first half (wasn't bad either), but second half he was a monster.

Your point of him never showing for a pass is a bit strange, as normally he is by far our best midfielder at that aspect. Matic and McTominay tend to 'show for the pass' by dropping back into the defence itself, while Pogba isn't particularly mobile at getting into space. Fred is the one who tends to be constantly moving and getting himself into a position to receive the ball, and then moves it on fairly quickly in a way that helps us drive the ball forward.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I’d be interest in a montage of his involvment as I just watched first half again and I stand by what I said. Not saying he was bad but cant understand why everyone is raving about him today.
I concede he was quality at breaking up the play in 2nd half
There's 2 halves to a match you know?

2nd half he really stood out and bossed it.

Dante

Average bang
"Whenever you play against Fred - we certainly did it - you let him get it because he has to take three or four touches," he told talkSPORT.

"He doesn't know how to do one or two touches.

"Anyone that watches his game, he gets it facing the wrong way, turns, turns, chops, chops and he'll give you the ball three or four times a game."

When Darren Bent chimed in saying that it was the "blueprint to play against" the Man Utd midfielder, Deeney continued: "It's the truth. If you're anyone who studies football you'll know that, when teams are setting and they're waiting, you go and that one person is the trigger.

"You're waiting for it to go and then you bounce off him."
https://www.goal.com/en/amp/news/he...slqinkqub9o?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=amp

I think this is fair criticism. He does give the ball away a lot and he is easy to dispossess and run past.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
For the time being he and Fernandes should be the constants in midfield, it was harsh to drop him for Matic after his EL performances, especially considering how well our midfield did in those games. Having him and Fernandes in the side makes the midfield tireless and gritty, teams can't just waltz through us. That 3rd spot is up for grabs, against low-block sides it should be one of Pogba and van de Beek, against teams we're looking to counter McTominay should get the nod. Matic has done a lot to win me back over since Solskjaer took the job but currently I don't see a spot for him, his immobility can be very costly as we've seen already this season, once teams start tiring due to the schedule he'll probably get another chance.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
For the time being he and Fernandes should be the constants in midfield, it was harsh to drop him for Matic after his EL performances, especially considering how well our midfield did in those games. Having him and Fernandes in the side makes the midfield tireless and gritty, teams can't just waltz through us. That 3rd spot is up for grabs, against low-block sides it should be one of Pogba and van de Beek, against teams we're looking to counter McTominay should get the nod. Matic has done a lot to win me back over since Solskjaer took the job but currently I don't see a spot for him, his immobility can be very costly as we've seen already this season, once teams start tiring due to the schedule he'll probably get another chance.
i really didn’t understand giving matic another 3 years. He can play the odd time but I don’t think he’s good enough any more

HowYouDoin

Fred has been our most underrated player for a long time now.
If Fergie was still our manager there would be a different narrative about Fred. Fred is kinda like Fletcher and Park Ji Sung in one.
Also if someone like Carrick played for us in these post Fergie years he wouldnt be as appreciated.

Bottom line. Fred has to play. Can anyone truly say they would rather have Kante than Fred now? Theyre the same type of player and Fred is better now. He should be one of the first names on the team sheet and undroppable.

Status
Not open for further replies.