Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Seeing as everyone loves him at the minute:

simplyared

Strange comment. Fred has been one of our most consistent starters in the last 12 months. Jota is a 40m impact sub/squad player.

Edit: may have misread your post. Not sure if you're complaining or not
No you didn't misread my post. I believe Jota offers so much more than Fred does. We overpaid and it's looking like Liverpool got themselves a bargain.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I thought his first half was good and in fact he was the only our midfielder who was able to make key pass in first half for that long ball to Rashford, everyone else in 1st half was playing sideways and backwards. Bit off in 2nd half.

el3mel

He started the game really well but it seems he regressed as it went on.

Bwuk

He can’t pass a ball. He should never of been playing at #6.

Zoo

Why can't he just keep it simple and pass it to someone close to him that isn't fecking useless with the ball?
Nobody to pass to. We couldn’t get out. Tactics failed and that’s down to Ole.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Maybe a game too far? Not as good as he has been and a fair few sloppy moments.

He needs to sort the weight on his passes out.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I thought his first half was good and in fact he was the only our midfielder who was able to make key pass in first half for that long ball to Rashford. Bit off in 2nd half.
I must have been watching a different game because he was so terrible he was hauled off before Ole's customary 80th minute substitution time.

Couldn't pass forward without losing the ball. At one point, he fecked up two passes in the space of 5 seconds.

He, McTominay and Pogba were shambolic today. 3 centre midfielders and we couldn't get out of our half.

RedIan

Poor poor poor. Pointless winning the ball and running around if you just give the ball away with every pass forward.. £40mil we were mugged.

Thought he was extremely poor. Being played at the base of the diamond definitely didn't help, bizarre decision from Ole. But somehow we got worse when he came off after a decent start to the second half. Has to be better, looks like he can't control a football at times

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I must have been watching a different game because he was so terrible he was hauled off before Ole's customary 80th minute substitution time.

Couldn't pass forward without losing the ball. At one point, he fecked up two passes in the space of 5 seconds.

He, McTominay and Pogba were shambolic today. 3 centre midfielders and we couldn't get out of our half.
I just said it. First half was good but second half was bad. Being good in first half doesn’t mean guarantee to play more than 60 minutes if the second half was bad. The guy made more key passes than Bruno, Pogba & Scott in 1st half and defensively contributed more in first half, he was the better midfielder in first half among the four.

NinjaZombie

I just said it. First half was good but second half was bad. Being good in first half doesn’t mean guarantee to play more than 60 minutes if the second half was bad.
Nope. I disagree. He wasn't good in the first half. If that was good, no wonder we're where we are. No use breaking up play when your passing breaks up our plays as well.

But that midfield performance is on Ole. The setup was terrible.

Godfather

Passing was off today. He'll get a pass today though as he was good in his last matches.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Nope. I disagree. He wasn't good in the first half. If that was good, no wonder we're where we are. No use breaking up play when your passing breaks up our plays as well.

But that midfield performance is on Ole. The setup was terrible.
Sums up why we lost today if Fred is our best midfielder in first half and the fact he did more than Pogba, Scott & Bruno in that first half tells you how shit Pogba & Bruno were, the fact that our defensive mid did more than the creative ones. Fred job is to defend and pass the ball to creative players and our creative players today let us down.

NinjaZombie

Thought he was extremely poor. Being played at the base of the diamond definitely didn't help, bizarre decision from Ole. But somehow we got worse when he came off after a decent start to the second half. Has to be better, looks like he can't control a football at times
I don't know if it's technique, physicality, mentality or all of the 3 but he never seems composed on the ball.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Can't play as a #6, his passing range is too limited. So if you play him there, we need to provide him passing options. Arsenal shut down our midfield.

He's a box to box player. I think it made sense to play him alongside Matic today.

Ace of Spades

He was okay, but even if he has limitations he is needed to shore the defence. Once he was gone, Matic was just awful and they got a foothold in the game again just when we were getting a bit of control of the game.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I think it made sense to play him alongside Matic today.
Yes. I don't understand why it's always Fred and McTominay. That's perhaps the best combination against truly top teams, but we should be trying Fred and Matic against the others. We might lose a bit of workrate but Matic is better on the ball than McTominay and can help Fred control the team around from deep. As it is we basically rely on Fred to do it by himself because he doesn't get much help. Fred's better than some give him credit for in that regard and is fine when sharing the load, but he's not good enough to do it by himself.

Sylar

The issue he had was he was at the bottom of the midfield. And the bigger problem was mctominay didn't realize this and kept dropping next to him

Coops73

Bloody awful today, gave the ball away so much, should of been hooked at halftime.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Yes. I don't understand why it's always Fred and McTominay. That's perhaps the best combination against truly top teams, but we should be trying Fred and Matic against the others. We might lose a bit of workrate but Matic is better on the ball than McTominay and can help Fred control the team around from deep. As it is we basically rely on Fred to do it by himself because he doesn't get much help.
I think the plan today was to play the safe option in midfield (Fred + McTominay) and hope for Bruno and Pogba to do something. It didn't work because Arsenal were really solid in midfield.

We couldn't get away from their pressing. I Think Matic+Fred could help us with that, as well as van de Beek. Pogba shouldn't be anywhere close to this team in such tight games really.

Couldn't do the simple passes well today but still gave us half a hope of surviving in midfield with his pressing. He was far from our worst player and should not have been subbed, we looked worse afterwards.

reddevil80

I have said this so many times but Fred should not be allowed to put on a Utd shirt, again, not even for a park kickabout with sweaters for goalposts. £40m for a half decent player from a "fairly" respectable team in Shakhtar Donetsk. Oh they saw us coming and must have thought their christmas' had all come at once, getting rid of lump foot Fred.

reddevil80

Couldn't do the simple passes well today but still gave us half a hope of surviving in midfield with his pressing. He was far from our worst player and should not have been subbed, we looked worse afterwards.
No no no no no; he was pressing because he kept misplacing his passes, again. Him and Mc did not gel at all today but his incessant inability to pass directly to a utd colleague is truly infuriating. He should have been swapped at half time for Matic, or a bag of skittles.

No no no no no; he was pressing because he kept misplacing his passes, again. Him and Mc did not gel at all today but his incessant inability to pass directly to a utd colleague is truly infuriating. He should have been swapped at half time for Matic, or a bag of skittles.
Nobody played well, but the two who lasted 90 mins were the two who should have gone off first.

simplyared

Pretty stupid comment. Chelsea paid 70 million for a third choice goalkeeper. Which means that Fred is an bargain of the century, using your logic.
No I come to a different conclusion. Chelsea did a bag deal as we did with Fred. Arrizabalaga is considered not good enough and therefore at present 3rd choice. Fred is considered good enough and starting games for us. I'd swop Jotic for Fred any day of the week. But that's just my opinion!

Devil may care

That first touch deep in our first half is like a hand grenade pin, worked hard and covered the space off the ball well though.

UncleBob

Nobody to pass to. We couldn’t get out. Tactics failed and that’s down to Ole.
There were plenty of players he could make simple passes to instead of giving it straight to an Arsenal player...

Augustus Gloop

Passing was off today. He'll get a pass today though as he was good in his last matches.
Yeah I do think he’s been given a pass today, which is shambolic because he was atrocious. He dropped a 3/10 - gave the ball away repeatedly and his touch was horrendous. How McTominay has been made the scapegoat for today beyond this guy and pogba I’ll never know.

Foxbatt

Yeah I do think he’s been given a pass today, which is shambolic because he was atrocious. He dropped a 3/10 - gave the ball away repeatedly and his touch was horrendous. How McTominay has been made the scapegoat for today beyond this guy and pogba I’ll never know.
because McTominay did nothing at all. With Fred even if his passing was awful he did much more on the pitch than McTominay did. Putting him as the DM is crazy. He should have been playing further forward with Matic as the DM.

el3mel

He's given a pass because he has been fantastic for the last few games, and has been undoubtedly our best CM this season. Just a poor game isn't going to change that ?

Levenstein

Was poor today, but tactics were even worse. I think he plays a lot better when McTominay or Matic plays deeper than him, not the opposite.

Sylar

BTW, He really rates his right foot doesnt he?
I mean he can do a simple pass with his left to keep the ball moving, but it seems like hes intent on taking another touch, and then passing it with his right.

OldTrevil

Of course the loud ones will jump on Fred and Pogba after a bad result, so predictable :lol:

I thought he did his job and at times was the only one who looked inspired to get us moving and start creating moves by smartly moving about the base of midfield. Not a surprise that our game went to shit when he came off. One can only hope that Ole took him off with the next game in mind, because he was the least deserving of subbing going by performances. Overall Mctominay and later Matic were the two worst midfielders on the pitch by far. At least McT brings the hustle however terrible he can be on the ball, the less said about the latter the better. Meanwhile further forward Bruno, Rashford and Greenwood wasted a majority of the balls they received and couldn't sustain a attack to save their lives.

But I digress, Fred is shit and needs to be sold for peanuts at the earliest opportunity accompanied by Pogba, on you go Caf...

Status
Not open for further replies.