Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Fred was outstanding today.
Still loses the ball in very dangerous areas due to poor first touch, control or dribbling. Happened today as well. Happens very consistently.

He was good otherwise.

arnie_ni

It's getting to the point where I wonder if he's genuinely world class? There aren't many midfielders that cover the amount of ground that he does, that can so effectively break up the play and who is still so composed on the ball. And the performances are consistent now as well. What was his last bad performance?
Just last week against arsenal.

Fantastic today though. The pass to rashford was class and if he could split the midfield like that more often we would create a whole load more chances. Brilliant pass

arnie_ni

He needs to show a lot more to be considered that.

He needs to be able to show discipline, composure and awareness when we have the ball 90% of the time and when he's the sole player in front of the defence. Think peak Fernandinho for City.

To be fair, that's also on the manager and team set up for that to happen.

Right now Fred is doing his job and doing it fantastically, as a box-to-box in a two man combative midfield.

I've always said we should be trying/nurturing Fred at the base behind Pogba/Bruno but that's a pipe dream at the moment..
Think you're wasting him as the base of a 3. You need someone disciplined there, that can read a game very well.

Freds strength is getting up and at people, in their face, hurrying them and winning the ball high starting attacks. He would lose all that if he's asked to sit and play at the base.

I actually think he needs a player like McT beside him who will drop in and cover for him because he does get caught out of position if he doesnt win the ball for us.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Still loses the ball in very dangerous areas due to poor first touch, control or dribbling. Happened today as well. Happens very consistently.

He was good otherwise.
The other option is to play Pogba or Matic who pretty much also lose the ball in dangerous areas too. But that's Fred's major flaw

Litch

Even playing outstanding, people still want to talk about his failings. If he was playing poorly but everyone else wasn't, fair play but thats not the case. His inconsistencies are pretty much reflected as in the team or the manager.....

Lebo

Him and McT added the necessary steel to our midfield. I say keep them and let the manager deal with the front 4 and fullbacks in terms of creating and scoring

Reactions: golden_blunder

Devil may care

He's one of the best dog soldiers in the game when he's played in the double pivot and allowed to hunt, it was even one of his better passing games as well, MOTM.

crossy1686

career ending
Fred and McTomminay are our most balanced midfield pairing. Fred looks worth every penny of the £50m when he plays like he did today. He'll only mature and get better the more he plays also. I really hope he get's to play the bulk of this season, and should do if we're serious about competing.

M16Red

He was good otherwise.
There are very little midfields that don't give the ball away, players that had zero loses in possession are normally like world class, even now thinking about it there aren't many in the Premiership that I can think of, even KDB losses the ball.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
We need a good screening DM who is very good on the ball to let him do what he does best, press and use his energy to drive the team forward. Mctominay is ok but is poor on the ball and isn't very good a blocking off passing lanes.

Fred next to a Carrick would be the a top midfield.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
There are very little midfields that don't give the ball away, players that had zero loses in possession are normally like world class, even now thinking about it there aren't many in the Premiership that I can think of, even KDB losses the ball.
Losing the ball, I'm fine with, losing the ball in the midst of a counter and leaving us completely exposed is something else. If it's lost while passing, fine, but while controlling the ball, no, not cool.

Levenstein

Made great overlapping run for Rashford too, who ran into traffic and didn't release him.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He's always eager to up the tempo when necessarily and I think that's one of the more underrated aspects to his game outside of his more noticeable attributes.
Its arguably the main reason why he connects well with Fernandes.

Excellent today. He’s been good in most games this season but today was another level.

The aspect of his game that attracts most criticism is his passing, but that was very good too, and was also much more positive with some incisive forward passing on display.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We need a good screening DM who is very good on the ball to let him do what he does best, press and use his energy to drive the team forward. Mctominay is ok but is poor on the ball and isn't very good a blocking off passing lanes.

Even Cleverley next to Carrick was a top midfield. Carrick was just incredibly intelligent player.

M16Red

Losing the ball, I'm fine with, losing the ball in the midst of a counter and leaving us completely exposed is something else. If it's lost while passing, fine, but while controlling the ball, no, not cool.
Only caught the second half, IIC that happened once in this game - what standard are you holding this guy too? To never miss control a ball?

For me, best CM in this club by a country mile right now. But I hope McT can really add too his game because he also never stops running.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It’s weird watching him. Every time he gets the ball he looks like he’s been shouted at all week in training. “Two touches maximum Fred! Two touches!”. He looks like he crumbles under that pressure and starts doing weird writhing movements after his first touch for no reason. Sort your body out like VDB on the first touch and pass the ball - it’s really not that hard.

criticalanalysis

Think you're wasting him as the base of a 3. You need someone disciplined there, that can read a game very well.

Freds strength is getting up and at people, in their face, hurrying them and winning the ball high starting attacks. He would lose all that if he's asked to sit and play at the base.

I actually think he needs a player like McT beside him who will drop in and cover for him because he does get caught out of position if he doesnt win the ball for us.
Yes I agree, which is why he's currently excelling as a box to box. However, he may have it in him to transition into what Guardiola has turned Fernandinho into.

Like I said it's a pipe dream but with the right tactical set up it's very possible.

You can create those scenarios of face-to-face duels if you're pressing well all over the pitch, have a good shape on and off the ball. It's much easier to close down opponents in 5-10 yards pocket of spaces and it doesn't neccesarily mean he will be less effective from a 'deeper' starting position.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I like Mctomminay and Fred as a partnership.

However I dont consider either a CDM either; more energetic centre midfielders - so that gives me hope that Fred, VDB and Bruno could work one day in a midfield 3.

RuudtheRed

Fred was exceptional against Everton. A toss-up between Bruno and Fred for MOTM but I'd say Fred just about shades it for me personally.

His passing can be sloppy at times even under no pressure (Arsenal last week was bad), but he was brilliant with his passing between the lines today when we were a goal down. The only fault I can recall is when Coleman turned him near the end of the game but apart from that, perhaps even Keano would have appreciated the performance by Fred today

meamth

50 million? Worth every penny.

He is without a doubt the best CM in our team right now.

Himannv

Excellent off the ball and should be starting most games. He's got so much energy it's great. Really needs to improve his work on the ball though. Needs to deal with the press better and pick out passes quickly. Hope the coaching staff are working on that aspect. He should be starting most games in my view.

Coops73

That little fecker is so tenacious, he must be a ball ache to play against, sometimes his passing frustrates me but his energy and will to win balls is just what we need especially with Bruno playing ahead of him.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21

McTominays passing was better today, definitely upped his range a little.

HowYouDoin

I like Mctomminay and Fred as a partnership.

However I dont consider either a CDM either; more energetic centre midfielders - so that gives me hope that Fred, VDB and Bruno could work one day in a midfield 3.
Yup that would be huge. Its why I would try DVB instead of McTominay against lower level teams we struggle to break down. Lets just see how it works out. I dont buy this notion that DVB is an AM only. Heck wasnt even Fred considered to be an AM at some point? And Herrera? Correct me if Im wrong here.

Anyway as for Fred, he is phenomenal. He is the closest thing you will find to a prime Kante. Just an unbelievable player with all the work he does.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Yup that would be huge. Its why I would try DVB instead of McTominay against lower level teams we struggle to break down. Lets just see how it works out. I dont buy this notion that DVB is an AM only. Heck wasnt even Fred considered to be an AM at some point? And Herrera? Correct me if Im wrong here.
Herrera was. Not sure about Fred, as far as I know he played in a similar position as he is now with his last club.

I also hope to see VDB beside Fred at some stage against a team we expect to dominate. I'm still not sure about VDB in that deeper role but he did well enough the other day that I'd like to what he can do next to Fred.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
DDG
AWB-McTominay-Maguire-Shaw-Telles
van de Beek----Fred
Bruno
Rashford +1
I really want van de Beek, Fred and Bruno playing together. Can't decide on +1. On paper it would be Martial, or Greenwood. But former is out of form, and latter is sidelined for non football reasons so tough call. Cavani would be handful if we can cross the ball looking for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.