Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bestietom

Fred is improving all the time. I like him because he always gives 110% but he certainly needs to stop giving the ball away. I would like to see Fred play alongside Soumare or Zakaria in our midfield.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I feel like for Fred to be effective he has to be operating right on the edge of control. Then he's whipping into tackles, picking off stray passes and just kind of is everywhere.

But when he's that adrenaline-d up, the man can't pass the football. It's bizarre. He clearly is capable of being a good passer, but something just goes when he's amped up.

Bit of an issue, but given he's the only defensive terrier we have, kind of have to roll with it.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Can’t believe Douglas Luis keep getting call up but not Fred. But then again, we can’t complain since the head coach is doing us a favour that Fred will stay safe and fit in Manchester for our good sake.

Hammondo

DDG
AWB-McTominay-Maguire-Shaw-Telles
van de Beek----Fred
Bruno
Rashford +1
I really want van de Beek, Fred and Bruno playing together. Can't decide on +1. On paper it would be Martial, or Greenwood. But former is out of form, and latter is sidelined for non football reasons so tough call. Cavani would be handful if we can cross the ball looking for him.
Who's anchoring midfield? Completely unbalanced.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Who's anchoring midfield? Completely unbalanced.
McTominay stepping up from defense if needed, plus Fred doing Fred things. It's enough against weaker sides where we expect to sit on them. Only counter can kill us, and that's why no Matic and Pogba.

Hammondo

McTominay stepping up from defense if needed, plus Fred doing Fred things. It's enough against weaker sides where we expect to sit on them. Only counter can kill us, and that's why no Matic and Pogba.
Fred is no anchor. This looks almost like a diamond being fudged into 5 at the back.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Fred is no anchor. This looks almost like a diamond being fudged into 5 at the back.
Who is the anchor in current 4-2-3-1 setup?

It's not a diamond because you have 3 players holding backline (Maguire, McTominay and Shaw). That means fullbacks can stay high and wide. And the ball goes through midfield triangle Fred - VdB - Bruno.

Hammondo

Who is the anchor in current 4-2-3-1 setup?

It's not a diamond because you have 3 players holding backline (Maguire, McTominay and Shaw). That means fullbacks can stay high and wide. And the ball goes through midfield triangle Fred - VdB - Bruno.
Mctominay is our main anchor.

In your formation if you move him forward out of defense then you have va diamond.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Mctominay is our main anchor.
No he isn't. McTominay plays on the right of midfield, Fred on the left. The closest to anchor man is Matic, as he stays centrally most of the time.

In your formation if you move him forward out of defense then you have va diamond.
Yeah, and if I move Bruno to the left I have 4-3-3. Many combinations, all coming from 3-5-2 formation.

Hammondo

No he isn't. McTominay plays on the right of midfield, Fred on the left. The closest to anchor man is Matic, as he stays centrally most of the time.

Yeah, and if I move Bruno to the left I have 4-3-3. Many combinations, all coming from 3-5-2 formation.
Who is left or right is irrelevant to who anchors.

If you had Bruno to the left you would still have 5 at the back.

Still with a midfielder as a defender.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Who is left or right is irrelevant to who anchors.

If you had Bruno to the left you would still have 5 at the back.

Still with a midfielder as a defender.
It is relevant because if McTominay is an anchorman as you say, then so is Fred because they are doing same stuff in general. We don't play with anchorman, and we don't need to.

What is your point anyway?

Hammondo

It is relevant because if McTominay is an anchorman as you say, then so is Fred because they are doing same stuff in general. We don't play with anchorman, and we don't need to.

What is your point anyway?
They are not the same, Fred is much more a box to box and moves further forward way more.

Foxbatt

I think I noticed was that McTominay is too square when Fred has the ball. He needs to get more diagonnally forward as soon as Fred gets the ball. Let Maguire or Lindelof cover that space. Fred is always looking for a pass apart from that one time, he tried to charge forward. He is the best box to box player we have. I would any day pick him up before Pogba since we now have Bruno and DVB.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Someone posted this on Reddit, Fred among Europe's most "intense" pressers.

sugar_kane

If we didn't have a certain Bruno Fernandes in the team I'd be fairly confident this lad will be getting player of the season.

Glad to see Ole putting faith in him again, was a bit gutted for him that he barely saw game time last season after the restart. He'd been fantastic before (after a rough start at the club) and was instantly dropped for Pogba/Matic.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
He's actually a really good player at what he does isn't he?

My only issue is that both him and Mctominay are too limited on the ball. I'm fine playing with 2 deep midfielders but i think one of them needs to be able to pass like Carrick and Scholes used to do.

Sylar

My only issue is that both him and Mctominay are too limited on the ball. I'm fine playing with 2 deep midfielders but i think one of them needs to be able to pass like Carrick and Scholes used to do.
I get what youre saying. But TBF to Fred, he had a few good "long" passes that should have resulted in assists / goals if Rashford / Martial were more clinical vs Everton.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He was up there with Laimer last season which known as pressing machine.
If we were smart we would buy Laimer this season. Matic out and Laimer in. Our midfield of Fred/Laimer/Fernandes would be an absolute nightmare to play against.

He's also played the RWB role for Leipzig and done a decent job too.

Anyways, I love Fred. I'll take a few sloppy touches and the odd misplaced pass for what he gives us in midfield. The guy is just non stop energy and never gives the opposition any time to settle.

I'm glad to see people are finally noticing why he's so important.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Yep, agree with that. I personally would like to see Bruno as 10, Donny as 8 and one CDM. I can see what Fred (and in a way McTominay) offer, but it feels like sacrificing one good attacking player to have both of them covering for our weak CBs. Sometimes that works pretty well, but under pressure both are not good enough at pinging perfect passes.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I thought he was OK but nowhere near what he has been at late....People were getting away from him when they usually wouldn't.

He just looks far more comfortable alongside McT then he does with anyone else.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Wasn't at his best but still did plenty of important donkey work.

Must be difficult carrying the old granddad next to him.

OldTrevil

Played well and ran his socks off as usual, his energy is especially key when things get stale in the middle like today. Other than his shooting, his game has been on the up for quite a while

Rossa

Wasn't at his best but still did plenty of important donkey work.

Must be difficult carrying the old granddad next to him.
He covers for Matic in the middle and does half of AWB’s defensive work, along with doing his midfield duties. We’re asking too much at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.