Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Web of Bissaka

Good performance overall, important energy to cover for majority of his lackluster teammates.

Did everything right and spot-on all except...one stupid decision making.
It's a bad move, not for the first time.
= The one where all our players are in high attacking positions, with many players in and around the box and we were playing the ball around with good composure building up attacks around properly to unlock their stubborn defenses with crosses after crosses and stealing the ball back high up the pitch and continue moving it around as we explore good options all to get the decisive moments. This is important, we were actually something right for a long time in how to break low blocks.

Then... Fred receive the ball and decided to try a ridiculous long range shooting from distance... since when is he good at this? Never. Since when is he consistent at doing it? Never! Then of course it gets blocked easily because it's so shit, and we lost possession, they counter-attacked quickly while many of our players rushed back, and they managed to deliver a great shot which thankfully just hit the bar. Then Fred punch the air in frustration either frustrated with himself or blaming other players for not blocking the great shot. If it's the latter, quite shit of him not realizing it's him to lost the ball in the first place. Afterwards we couldn't do that anymore, and our shit lack of composed finishing continues. Fred also lost confidence and didn't take the shot when he's open in good position inside the box and instead delay-passing it to Bruno which got intercepted easily of course.

Defensively as we know he's more exposed. Expected really. He miss and need McT to cover that flaw of his. Alas, we need to rotate and this is a fine chance vs a supposedly shit team.

Devil may care

He was fine, I don't think these games are the ones that we see peak Fred in as he's at his best when the midfield is combative and he gets to hunt and compete, where games when we have more ball he's not going to get to use his best assets.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
If he knocked in a goal or 2 a season that would be a big help arriving late into the box. Which United midfield regular never chipped in with a few? He should really work on that. If he was more selfish today he might have got one and eased the pressure on the forwards to constantly produce the moment of magic.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Whether it’s against team that we can counter or a team that sits deep, his role is equally important. There is no debate we need him when we are facing team that we can counter but he also important even against team that sits deep. By having him in the games like West Brom means we allow our full backs to take risk to go forwards and we also allow our front four to take risk with their passings and contribute less defensive work against the lesser team. Risk action also has high chance of losing the ball means we need his energy to win the ball back. Good performance 7 or 8/10 today, his usual standard rating.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He was fine, I don't think these games are the ones that we see peak Fred in as he's at his best when the midfield is combative and he gets to hunt and compete, where games when we have more ball he's not going to get to use his best assets.
I agree. He's useful, but you don't see his best side.

Anyway, I thought he was fine in midfield with Matic (who didn't play for a while).

MattofManchester

Maybe my standards have gone up(highly doubtful considering the state of this club), but I didn't consider that a good performance.

An okay performance a bit on the poor side.
He offers nothing going forward, so the emphasis is on him defensively, yet I saw him get so easily bypassed in the first 30 minutes about 4 or 5 times.

Was neater with his play but if that's the standard for a decent performance, I can't accept that.

Litch

For me he does his job based on what it says on the tin and his ceiling. If those with a higher ceiling and did theirs, we would be at the top of the table. If funny cause people are now criticising him for things that he's not. If people want a box to box midfielder, tell Ole that he's got two often on the bench.

Litch

Good performance overall, important energy to cover for majority of his lackluster teammates.

Did everything right and spot-on all except...one stupid decision making.
It's a bad move, not for the first time.
= The one where all our players are in high attacking positions, with many players in and around the box and we were playing the ball around with good composure building up attacks around properly to unlock their stubborn defenses with crosses after crosses and stealing the ball back high up the pitch and continue moving it around as we explore good options all to get the decisive moments. This is important, we were actually something right for a long time in how to break low blocks.

Then... Fred receive the ball and decided to try a ridiculous long range shooting from distance... since when is he good at this? Never. Since when is he consistent at doing it? Never! Then of course it gets blocked easily because it's so shit, and we lost possession, they counter-attacked quickly while many of our players rushed back, and they managed to deliver a great shot which thankfully just hit the bar. Then Fred punch the air in frustration either frustrated with himself or blaming other players for not blocking the great shot. If it's the latter, quite shit of him not realizing it's him to lost the ball in the first place. Afterwards we couldn't do that anymore, and our shit lack of composed finishing continues. Fred also lost confidence and didn't take the shot when he's open in good position inside the box and instead delay-passing it to Bruno which got intercepted easily of course.

Defensively as we know he's more exposed. Expected really. He miss and need McT to cover that flaw of his. Alas, we need to rotate and this is a fine chance vs a supposedly shit team.
For me if the other 9 outfield players only made one 'mistake' in 94 minutes, we win by more than one goal. He was on the edge of the box so was hardly a given. Oh the irony, he's being criticised for something everyone has told him to stop doing.
Defensively flawed? Maybe you need to look at whose playing next to him and the formation we play. It's an impossible task playing DM for anyone in this formation as there is masses of space that you have to cover.

Andersons Dietician

Damn it Fred must have been reading this thread and seen the cries for him not to shoot from the edge of the box. Fred we were only kidding. If you bin the defender and create a space like that for yourself take the shot my son.

Ekeke

Same Fred as usual. There was a moment where the West Brom leftback went past him, then slowed down and Fred got back, then the left back beat him again. And yes he should have shot from inside the box when he had a chance, but he has no end product like that. Other than that he worked hard like normal, won the ball a bunch and was fine.

Falcow

Had a decent enough game I thought. I didnt see any of the other front 5 players preventing west brom from getting forward or working hard for that matter so he was alone in that respect.

Also lost the ball far less than rashford, Martial, Mata and Bruno. If those 4 did their job as well as Fred did his last night it would have been 3 or 4 nil. And no, losing the ball doesnt just mean misplacing a pass.

Neat, tidy and a nuisance for the opposition. Also crucially able to beat and get away from a man.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Fred's flaws were on display tonight. He did a lot of good but he's not capable of holding the midfield together alone. A better side than Basaksehir would have made more of the possession and territory they had. Against better teams you will need McTominay in there as the double act.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Had some pretty sloppy moments but he was fine... Still think he never looks as good as when he's next to McT though.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Fred's flaws were on display tonight. He did a lot of good but he's not capable of holding the midfield together alone. A better side than Basaksehir would have made more of the possession and territory they had. Against better teams you will need McTominay in there as the double act.
Fred McT VDB with Bruno playing off Cavani might work. VDB and Fred would get picked apart against teams with more creative players.

I think that’s fair, and the challenge we have, we have a number of good midfielders. Fred, McT, DVDB, Matic and Pogba. But we are no closer to finding a partnership, and none of them stand head and shoulders above anyone else so that they are the no 1 midfielder. Hopefully players will emerge. Against better teams I think it’s Fred and McT.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It looked like his worse game of the season so far. Missed a lot of tackles, and his passing was bad, especially when he had to raise the ball.
Not worried though. He looked good alongside VdB when we had the ball.

I also think Istanbul were very good going forward.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
If he could actually pass he would be unreal. He has the drive but not the passing ability.

Still vital to our team.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Its not. Same Fred, workrate closing down and some tackles won, others lost and then average on the ball
Not to be provocative, but comparing him to Herrera the one thing Fred has going for him that could take him to the next level if he remains consistent is that he never hides. Even if he miss a pass or lose a tackle, he is always there all game. Some players might have more quality in certain aspects but fail to show up. Fred is very active and it's not often he disappears out of the game. Initially when he arrived he was very out of tune with the tempo, but these days he is very active.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Fred McT VDB with Bruno playing off Cavani might work. VDB and Fred would get picked apart against teams with more creative players.
Not only that. They are not able to win aerial duels. Two short players in the same area of the pitch is not a good idea in the EPL.

Matt851

Terrible passing tonight, so many times he had an age to measure a cross field pass and hit it too low

He offers a lot in terms of energy and ball winning but wastes it too often

Ekeke

Not to be provocative, but comparing him to Herrera the one thing Fred has going for him that could take him to the next level if he remains consistent is that he never hides. Even if he miss a pass or lose a tackle, he is always there all game. Some players might have more quality in certain aspects but fail to show up. Fred is very active and it's not often he disappears out of the game. Initially when he arrived he was very out of tune with the tempo, but these days he is very active.
The problem is, if you compare him to Ander he doesnt do these things :

Important defensive contributions - Ander wasnt just making lots of tackles and interceptions, he was making key ones to get to a player on the edge of the box before they get a chance, or tracking back into his own box to make a clearance from a runner

Important goals - Often in a big match too. Fred has 0 goal threat or threat of making a final ball to open up a defence

Pretty much always our top, or second best player in a big match - When the games were tight he played his best with relentless ball winning and might pop up with a goal on top

So Fred is worth on both sides of the pitch in terms of effecting the scoreline. He wont be there to save a goal, he wont be there to score a goal. Those are things Ander did. Fred also gets himself into trouble with overplaying more often, usually with a poor touch or a pass that he can do much better than.

Matic is also very active, I've never been a big fan of his as our DM either because he's also had big areas he lacks in. I think its good for a CM to be "active", I think its far more important for a defensive midfielder to be efficient and effective. If Fred played further up and could create or score goals too then being "active" a lot would be a lot more ideal.

If we compare him to VDB tonight, VDB was much better on the ball and was key in our attacking moves, while Fred won the ball more with his workrate but was dissappointing with what he did with it.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Fred’s passing ability is actually 7/10, he can pass with both feet and can find players in front but his composure 4/10 is the issue which makes him inconsistent with his passing and decision.

His tackling ability is 6/10 not as good as Ndidi or Kante but his work rate, energy, stamina, aggression & sensing danger are 10/10. He’s a pressing machine midfield, the engine. We need his engine.

Ekeke

Fred’s passing ability is actually 7/10, he can pass with both feet and can find players in front but his composure 4/10 is the issue which makes him inconsistent with his passing and decision.

His tackling ability is 6/10 not as good as Ndidi or Kante but his work, energy, stamina, aggression & sensing danger are 10/10. He’s a pressing machine midfield. We need his engine.
So firstly, I dont think he has the nerve and/of vision to play a pass that hurts teams when its on. Whether he doesnt think thats his role or something I dont know, but he will often pass up the oppertunity and then calmly make a simple pass sideways.

He absolutely can make a nice long or short pass with either foot and we've seen it, although its almost always a fairly routine one with no risk. But sometimes he makes a poor decision. Thats especially the case with his first touch, I'd say its usually because of a poor decision that invites someone to press him and thats why he has trouble against players pressing him. Not so much that he just has a poor touch/technique but he made a poor choice to have that kind of touch in that area.

He absolutely does not sense danger around our box. He presses in midfield when he thinks he might be able to pinch the ball and gets it quite often. He absolutely does not see the space in front of our defense and drop back to give protection, or cover a teammate out of position, or make a vital interception as a cross comes in etc. Thats what sensing the danger is. He's all about that midfield section, not in the danger areas towards our goal.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
So firstly, I dont think he has the nerve and/of vision to play a pass that hurts teams when its on. Whether he doesnt think thats his role or something I dont know, but he will often pass up the oppertunity and then calmly make a simple pass sideways.

He absolutely can make a nice long or short pass with either foot and we've seen it, although its almost always a fairly routine one with no risk. But sometimes he makes a poor decision. Thats especially the case with his first touch, I'd say its usually because of a poor decision that invites someone to press him and thats why he has trouble against players pressing him. Not so much that he just has a poor touch/technique but he made a poor choice to have that kind of touch in that area.

He absolutely does not sense danger around our box. He presses in midfield when he thinks he might be able to pinch the ball and gets it quite often. He absolutely does not see the space in front of our defense and drop back to give protection, or cover a teammate out of position, or make a vital interception as a cross comes in etc. Thats what sensing the danger is. He's all about that midfield section, not in the danger areas towards our goal.
I disagree.

jamesjimmybyrondean

His tackling ability is 6/10 not as good as Ndidi or Kante but his work rate, energy, stamina, aggression & sensing danger are 10/10. He’s a pressing machine midfield, the engine. We need his engine.
Described him perfectly

NinjaFletch

Savage did go a bit far. He was shit though.
Not sure he was much better or worse than usual, it was just a standard Fred performance to the constant background noise of Savage calling him shit.

By now we know what he's about, he has a huge engine, will get around the pitch, make a nuisance of himself and win himself tackles. He'll also be largely useless on the ball and occasionally throw in an utterly braindead pass in his own defensive third. Again, I thought he suffered from not having a more positionally disciplined player alongside him, but he doesn't offer enough with the ball to allow us to play that player against teams like that.

I'm not really convinced that's good enough to take us to the level of where we aspire to be, but he's here and he's not the most pressing of our concerns.

Bwuk

He can’t play as the deepest midfielder and that’s his biggest issue. Him and VdB wouldn’t work against better sides.

He’s a #8. He’s great at running forward and pressing to win the ball, but he’s not a ball player at all.

I see people compare him to Kante, but people forget Kantes best seasons came with Drinkwater and Matic as his partners, both of whom sat deeper than him.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Kinda worried if he gets burned out or injured. He's irreplaceable on the midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.