Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
He seems to get his second wind quite late in games. I noticed him pressing in the 85th like a madman, while at times in the 60th-65th he looked shattered.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Weird performance. So good first half. Absolute crap second half.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
What happened to the man? He's been awful in the last 2 games.
Really? He did a good job against Leicester considering he was basically playing as a one man midfield against a good team, with his supposed partner McTominay having the most invisible central midfield performance I've seen in my life. And today, with McTominay being only slightly better than he was last week, Fred was one of the best players on the park for the first half although yes he did fall away later on in the match.

Overall his form has dropped a little over the last month or so but he's still been playing well and is vital for how we play.

Dan_F

But you said that Fred loses the ball because he tries stuff he can't do while McTominay just plays sideway passes most of the time if there is a risk of loosing the ball. So what is the issue with Fred now? Him getting the easy passes wrong or him trying hard things he can't do and then getting them wrong.

I think you can see how much we miss Fred every time he doesn't play. He is really playing like Kante right now, everywhere on the pitch and helping us so much.
The pass I mentioned was one that was never on, from a position that you can’t really afford to give the ball away in. but it’s not a case of one or the other like you’re trying to make it.

I don’t deny we miss him when he doesn’t play, because having a midfielder with energy is vital. However, he has one of the worst first touches I’ve seen for a United midfielder and it effects everything else he does. I don’t think his passing is actually the issue, it’s the fact he needs to rush everything, because he needs two touches to get the ball under control.

We clearly need his energy at the moment, but going forward there’s a lot of midfielders that do what he does without the obvious issues in their game, and I’m confident it’s a position we’ll have upgraded by September.

Ekeke

AWB, Bruno and McTominay all had more presses than Fred against Villa and McTom came off after 64 mins. Considering thats the main thing Fred is good at (other than running) its not great, though he was also playing at the base of a diamond which means he had more positional responsibility than normal when there are 2 players there.

He made some interceptions to win the ball, had very little success with tackles and aside from the one forward attacking pass I believe into Bruno I thought his passing was not as positive as it could have been.

He was okay

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Really? He did a good job against Leicester considering he was basically playing as a one man midfield against a good team, with his supposed partner McTominay having the most invisible central midfield performance I've seen in my life. And today, with McTominay being only slightly better than he was last week, Fred was one of the best players on the park for the first half although yes he did fall away later on in the match.

Overall his form has dropped a little over the last month or so but he's still been playing well and is vital for how we play.
I have high expectation of him because he's been really good with us. But in the last 2 games, he's just lost and was easy to bypass. It's noticeable enough for me.

Ekeke

Fred's strengths and weaknesses Vs. the other DMs/CMs who have played at least 10 matches in the league this season. Sorted by number of pressures per 90 mins since its Fred's strength and he comes in 3rd after Allan and Conor Gallagher. I should also say he's 4th in tackles+interceptions after Anguissa, Kante and Hojbjerg and 4th in interceptions after Anguissa, Kante and Brownhill

This makes it quite easy to compare him defensively against Allan who averages more pressures and with more success than Fred, but makes less interceptions.

We can also see Fred's low tackle on dribbler % compared to Allan. Bruno is actually slightly higher with 0.69 to 0.68 while Fred attempts it a bit more often at 3.07 per game to Bruno's 2.92

Some midfielders who are doing really well in the middle this season clearly don't press anywhere near as much as Fred. Henderson, Ward-Prowse, McGinn, Rodri and Rice some of the ones far down the list in terms of pressures. They obviously play the defensive part of the game differently to Fred. He leaves his area and presses the man with the ball and they protect the defense with their position instead helping out the CBs.

Last edited:

Sylar

His on the ball stuff could be better.
His off the ball stuff is probably his best asset.

He will definitely start in the middle against bigger teams.

If he's part of a midfield three or four and not just holding would like to see him contribute more otherwise he's generally good at getting the ball back for us

PaulScholes99

The pass I mentioned was one that was never on, from a position that you can’t really afford to give the ball away in. but it’s not a case of one or the other like you’re trying to make it.

I don’t deny we miss him when he doesn’t play, because having a midfielder with energy is vital. However, he has one of the worst first touches I’ve seen for a United midfielder and it effects everything else he does. I don’t think his passing is actually the issue, it’s the fact he needs to rush everything, because he needs two touches to get the ball under control.

We clearly need his energy at the moment, but going forward there’s a lot of midfielders that do what he does without the obvious issues in their game, and I’m confident it’s a position we’ll have upgraded by September.
That is a fair post. I don't agree with everything because i don't think his touch is as bad as people like to make it and also his passing is okay (but that is of course a bit subjective) and i don't think we will try to or even want to upgrade his position.

But i would like to know which midfielders do you think have his energy and no obvious issues? Because i don't think there are many.

Ekeke

That is a fair post. I don't agree with everything because i don't think his touch is as bad as people like to make it and also his passing is okay (but that is of course a bit subjective) and i don't think we will try to or even want to upgrade his position.

But i would like to know which midfielders do you think have his energy and no obvious issues? Because i don't think there are many.
Which players have his energy and are playing for the top clubs in midfield and winning the biggest prizes?

Maybe energy and pressing over all else isn't what you really need to achieve that.

Goretzka does a lot of running but he's also twice as physically strong as Fred and scores a few goals

PaulScholes99

Which players have his energy and are playing for the top clubs in midfield and winning the biggest prizes?

Maybe energy and pressing over all else isn't what you really need to achieve that.

Goretzka does a lot of running but he's also twice as physically strong as Fred and scores a few goals
Fair point. But in our setup right now it is really important. If we'd have a CDM like Fabinho/Casemiro or even prime Matic i think we would be far better with someone better on the ball then Fred (e.g. Donny van de Beek) and less energy wouldn't be a problem. Right now though i think we are not good enough on the ball and defensively to dispense on his energy. It is true that Fred is a part of this problem but before we get a top CDM who is excellent in defense and ball retention i am quite happy with Fred, even with all his faults. In my priority list a upgrade on Fred is not that high.

Andersons Dietician

Thought he was really good in the game. Even looked good going forward picking out passes and making things happen. Defensive work was great given McT was giving very little help. Between him and Shaw for man of the match our side.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I missed the first 10 minutes so no idea how he went there, but once I started watching I thought he was poor from the 10-20 minute mark. After that he started getting more involved and looking quite a bit better, although there were a couple times City went past him a bit too easily. He has played the last three games basically by himself though as McTominay has been poor. He also created our one really good goal scoring opportunity where Rashford mis-controlled his great pass, although I think it may have been called offside if he had scored.

simplyared

I'm not a fan but thought he was decent last night. Nothing more! Manages to make at least one Kamikazi pass in every game. Made one last night which City luckily didn't cash in on. Gave away a free-kick just outside the area after making a ridiculous tackle which resulted in a yellow card. Luckily City couldn't make anything from the set piece. Should have been subbed off earlier otherwise a decent performance.

He's one of our most consistent performers. You know what you will get. Relentless energy, pressing, some great tackles, a handful of chances created, lots of quick passing and one or two straight into touch, and a mis-control in a dangerous area. I'm happy with that.

Sylar

Why does he keep having that small moment where he loses the ball between his own legs? :lol:
I noticed that it's usually when there's no player around, I think because he's trying to look elsewhere and loses concentration and focus on the ball.

He needs to learn the art of fouling and not getting a booking from fernandinho. Basically needs to stay on his feet when he does subtle fouls to break up play (you can't always win the ball cleanly)

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I don't get Fred... Sometimes he'll recieve the ball under pressure, be calm, do a great turn, dart off and play a good pass.

Then other times he'll look like he's never even heard of the game of football and the sheer idea of kicking the thing is a mystery.

These things may often happen within 5 minutes of each other.

el3mel

Very carless in his possession and passing. Well, I don't think he'll ever improve this as it doesn't seem to be his game but I really hope he does.

RUCK4444

I don't get Fred... Sometimes he'll recieve the ball under pressure, be calm, do a great turn, dart off and play a good pass.

Then other times he'll look like he's never even heard of the game of football and the sheer idea of kicking the thing is a mystery.

These things may often happen within 5 minutes of each other.
:lol:

Litch

Poor first but better second half. Not played for a while and he's a player that needs play regular.....

Started slowly but he was good from the first 20 minutes onwards. All our midfield and defence played very well today.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I can't wait till we get an upgrade on him or McTominay. He just frustrates me too much with his passing and his half assed attempts at clearing the ball.

Ole eventually replaced Lingard and Pereira. No reason to think he might not look to improving our centre midfield as well.

MU655

Thought he was fine. We came under massive pressure from the start and all our players were messing up. Once we started to get some possession, I think we played alright. Fred was just one of many players that this happened to today.

I thought he was pretty good in the second half. Started off some counter attacks and defended well. Shame our attack wasn't on form, otherwise one of them may have ended in a goal.

I think people have to accept that Liverpool is a very good team. They may not be as good as last year, but they are still strong.

Litch

I think it's hard as sometimes Scott goes missing and he's left on his own to cover a lot of distance.....

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Did his defensive job very well, but was really poor on the ball even by his standards.

Devil may care

Did all of the usual Fredisms of hustking and competing but was also very tidy with his passing. Just behind Shaw and Pogba today for MOTM.

Raven

Thought he started poorly like the rest of the team and then he was good. I think it would have been good to have gotten Matic on for Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.