Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inter Yer Nan

Class player and one of our most important. Realistically, if not for Bruno being in God-mode for the last 12 months, one could argue Fred would be in discussion for our best performer within that timeframe.

Sir Marcus

:lol:

A lot's been made of Ole trying to build a team full of the 'right characters' and I think Fred epitomises that at the moment. He was at a really low point and was pretty much widely regarded as being 'not good enough' for Man Utd, received some scathing reviews from pundits and the media - yet he kept working hard, seems to have come through it and is now putting in contributions that I would never have envisaged in his first year or two, it's admirable really - astonishing turnaround.

For me, he's certainly one of the most lovable players right now. His goal celebration/reactions are absolutely brilliant and I always hope he's on camera so I get to see them - genuine elation every time we score and he also seems to be brimming with pride every time a teammate does something good. Another thing I've noticed from very early on in his career with us was how he always protects our penalty kick taker from opposition players when they try to put them off before the kick - he always right next to Rash/Tony in particular and if anyone tries to get in their ear - Fred's always the first on the scene backing up his boys!

Reactions: roonster09

romufc

What a turn around for him, looks like he is enjoying his football, gets on well with his team mates as well.

I like the fact that there is some friendly banter within the group

Olecurls99

:lol:

A lot's been made of Ole trying to build a team full of the 'right characters' and I think Fred epitomises that at the moment. He was at a really low point and was pretty much widely regarded as being 'not good enough' for Man Utd, received some scathing reviews from pundits and the media - yet he kept working hard, seems to have come through it and is now putting in contributions that I would never have envisaged in his first year or two, it's admirable really - astonishing turnaround.

For me, he's certainly one of the most lovable players right now. His goal celebration/reactions are absolutely brilliant and I always hope he's on camera so I get to see them - genuine elation every time we score and he also seems to be brimming with pride every time a teammate does something good. Another thing I've noticed from very early on in his career with us was how he always protects our penalty kick taker from opposition players when they try to put them off before the kick - he always right next to Rash/Tony in particular and if anyone tries to get in their ear - Fred's always the first on the scene backing up his boys!
Spot on. He's a great lad to have. I never understood the Fred bashing 2 years ago. He's been here 3 years. His first season he played 13 games and got used to the league and the last 2 seasons he's been one of our best players. He always showed the same abilities he's showing now. Work rate, great harrying and good technique.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
There's no need to bring up the past unnecessarily; yet I still dont understand why people view Herrera as the better player we had.

Fred absolutely destroys Herrera's occasional good man marking performances against Hazard.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Spot on. He's a great lad to have. I never understood the Fred bashing 2 years ago. He's been here 3 years. His first season he played 13 games and got used to the league and the last 2 seasons he's been one of our best players. He always showed the same abilities he's showing now. Work rate, great harrying and good technique.
He’s an example of how long it takes for the consensus to shift, when he’s been very good for a while now.

Good footballer and one of the first names on the team sheet.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't think the majority of people actually watch games properly, they see what happens but don't understand it.

What they do see though is clear and obvious errors, and unfortunately Fred had a couple early on in his career - that then makes him "useless", but they ignore all the good stuff he was doing. I remember away to Arsenal in his first season he was having a really good match, then ended up taking a bad touch and losing the ball in front of our goal and we conceded, that hammered him for ages.

Fred is the type that doesn't look so fancy on the ball, but does a hell of a lot off it that's hard to recognise for people that don't appreciate that side of the game.

Ekeke

There's no need to bring up the past unnecessarily; yet I still dont understand why people view Herrera as the better player we had.

Fred absolutely destroys Herrera's occasional good man marking performances against Hazard.
Because Ander is a far superior player who did plenty of running and pressing, but also had good defensive instincts and would pop up with some goals. He was Fred without his limitations of never scoring and being routinely dribbled past like he isnt there.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Because Ander is a far superior player who did plenty of running and pressing, but also had good defensive instincts and would pop up with some goals. He was Fred without his limitations of never scoring and being routinely dribbled past like he isnt there.
Okay that's your opinion. For me, Fred at his best and most energetic can help shut down an opposition teams ability by almost playing like an angry dog that is chasing after every opponent he sees. Its wonderful to watch.

Herrera for me did it covering the single most deadly opposition out in a game or maybe few more on occasion. He may be involved better attacking because to me he was much less defensive as a player than Fred. If I remember correctly Herrera even started higher up the pitch as a number 10 for some random games at United or Bilbao (not sure).

The guy is mostly on the subs for PSG and even looking at some rumours now show that they might let him leave. Fred alongside Mctomminay arguably ousted Pogba and Matic as our strongest yet well functioning CM pairing available in arguably one of the best viewed United teams of recent times. If you think Herrera is better than Fred then that's perfectly fine - I simply dont see it though.

Andrew Richmond

Fred us a far superior player than Ander, not even close.

Ekeke

Okay that's your opinion. For me, Fred at his best and most energetic can help shut down an opposition teams ability by almost playing like an angry dog that is chasing after every opponent he sees. Its wonderful to watch.

Herrera for me did it covering the single most deadly opposition out in a game or maybe few more on occasion. He may be involved better attacking because to me he was much less defensive as a player than Fred. If I remember correctly Herrera even started higher up the pitch as a number 10 for some random games at United or Bilbao (not sure).

The guy is mostly on the subs for PSG and even looking at some rumours now show that they might let him leave. Fred alongside Mctomminay arguably ousted Pogba and Matic as our strongest yet well functioning CM pairing available in arguably one of the best viewed United teams of recent times. If you think Herrera is better than Fred then that's perfectly fine - I simply dont see it though.
Its my opinion based on every source of information available. Every stat and every match played for the club. Ander was one of the best players in a champions league final, Fred isnt even our best midfielder

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
As someone who likes both Fred and Herrera, I find it funny how both 'sides' of the argument so often go significantly overboard about this.

Fred us a far superior player than Ander, not even close.
It is close. They are similar players, with Herrera having an edge in the defensive and attacking thirds of the pitch. Fred is a better playmaker/controller though, and is also able to stay fit which Herrera did often struggle with for us.

Ander was one of the best players in a champions league final, Fred isnt even our best midfielder
Fred has been our best performing midfielder for the last 18 months. Pogba at his best is obviously better but how often has that happened? It's exactly the same situation as when Herrera won the 16/17 fans' Player of the Year except Fred is doing it with more competition.

Overall which one I would prefer depends on who their partner is. I'd definitely take Fred to play with McTominay or VDB, and I'd take Herrera next to Matic. Pogba is the one I'm not certain about but I'd probably lean towards Fred so that we're not as reliant on Pogba having to control everything from deep. That's more a personal preference on what I want Pogba to focus on though, so it could really go either way.

Shark

@NotShark
Ander was one of the best players in a champions league final less than a year ago :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thinking Fred is better is fine, "far superior" is a massive stretch. We could probably do better than both of them.

Ekeke

As someone who likes both Fred and Herrera, I find it funny how both 'sides' of the argument so often go significantly overboard about this.

It is close. They are similar players, with Herrera having an edge in the defensive and attacking thirds of the pitch. Fred is a better playmaker/controller though, and is also able to stay fit which Herrera did often struggle with for us.

Fred has been our best performing midfielder for the last 18 months. Pogba at his best is obviously better but how often has that happened? It's exactly the same situation as when Herrera won the 16/17 fans' Player of the Year except Fred is doing it with more competition.

Overall which one I would prefer depends on who their partner is. I'd definitely take Fred to play with McTominay or VDB, and I'd take Herrera next to Matic. Pogba is the one I'm not certain about but I'd probably lean towards Fred so that we're not as reliant on Pogba having to control everything from deep. That's more a personal preference on what I want Pogba to focus on though, so it could really go either way.
Ander wasnt one of the best players in a champions league final at United. He did it with PSG less than a year ago. Thats what I'm comparing with Pogba who was for example one of France's better players at the world cup finals

In terms of it being close its only close when you compare Ander with Fred's strengths - hard work and pressing. Those numbers are close between Ander and Fred.

Goals and assists are not. Those have a huge difference. And I can say from watching all their matches that Ander was often there to sweep up helping out the defence with a crucial contribution, we dont see much of that at all from Fred. So in those areas it isnt close and they are why it isnt close overall.

Idxomer

I don't get the logic behind him sitting so many games when we miss his work rate and intensity so often.

Ekeke

I don't get the logic behind him sitting so many games when we miss his work rate and intensity so often.
You dont think hes probably just tired from constantly running? Its a demanding style to play and he wasnt that good last time out, seems likely he gets a rest so that he's available to play at his best in the many coming matches

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
In terms of it being close its only close when you compare Ander with Fred's strengths - hard work and pressing. Those numbers are close between Ander and Fred.

Goals and assists are not. Those have a huge difference. And I can say from watching all their matches that Ander was often there to sweep up helping out the defence with a crucial contribution, we dont see much of that at all from Fred. So in those areas it isnt close and they are why it isnt close overall.
There's not much difference in the defensive third although yes I'd give Herrera the slight edge. Offensively Herrera was certainly better but Fred has actually been showing some really nice signs over the last month or two, he should have had two or three good assists and has also been playing some good balls through the lines to put our more attacking players into dangerous positions.

Like I've said before though, Fred is better in the middle third of the pitch. He's more of a playmaker who controls the team around more and is better at setting the tempo. Considering he's playing in a two man midfield (especially since he's normally next to McTominay) that's arguably the most important part of his job, and he's doing it better than Herrera could.

Devil may care

We were so shit tonight it's hard to pinpoint everything but we miss the tempo Fred adds to our midfield.

Idxomer

You dont think hes probably just tired from constantly running? Its a demanding style to play and he wasnt that good last time out, seems likely he gets a rest so that he's available to play at his best in the many coming matches
He's getting 10 days off except for the 24 minutes he played against Liverpool and I think he also got a similar rest earlier this month.

This seems a bit excessive to me except if his fitness is really bad.

Ekeke

There's not much difference in the defensive third although yes I'd give Herrera the slight edge. Offensively Herrera was certainly better but Fred has actually been showing some really nice signs over the last month or two, he should have had two or three good assists and has also been playing some good balls through the lines to put our more attacking players into dangerous positions.

Like I've said before though, Fred is better in the middle third of the pitch. He's more of a playmaker who controls the team around more and is better at setting the tempo. Considering he's playing in a two man midfield (especially since he's normally next to McTominay) that's arguably the most important part of his job, and he's doing it better than Herrera could.
Shoulda woulda coulda. Ander had passes that could have been assists that werent. Every player does. Most likely if you have 0 assists its not a case of creating loads of chances for teammates and them missing all of them

The most important job of a DM is absolutely not pressing in midfield. City and Liverpool dont have that. In fact no successful team has a player like Fred doing that. Liverpool have their attacking players doing it. The closest comparison would probably be Goretzka at Bayern who runs and presses, but also gets forward to score 5 goals and get 6 assists and is as strong and powerful as 5 Freds.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
I don't understand we have a such a wonderful defensive player rested in other game only to be benched by someone like Matic the other for supposed more "creativity" I assume. Fred is better at almost anything and he doesnt have to be towering player. He's much better defensively and plays football at much higher tempo. Matic can only possibly be better at covering the ball however even today he was disposesed to a dangerous break too.

Really hate Solskjaer, such a dumb dumb decision and really clear to many of us. With Bruno piling up horrible performances after performances Fred is possibly up there for a player of the year again but yet again he spends time on the bench.. And to be honest I can imagine he's got a gear in him as well if we played progressive football like a top club should. He would be an absolute mint for Pep's City and even for Klopp Liverpool. Right now often you see him pressing and noone else giving a feck. Such a horribly managed team

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Slow realisation from some that he is in fact quite an important part of our team?

He's one of the few in the middle of the park that never stops the fight, and I felt he was sorely missed tonight.

Ekeke

He's getting 10 days off except for the 24 minutes he played against Liverpool and I think he also got a similar rest earlier this month.

This seems a bit excessive to me except if his fitness is really bad.
I dunno, he's played a lot till recently which suggests he's one of Ole's favourites to use and he would be using him if he was able to do it at a decent level

Welbeckham

We always struggle against Arsenal anyway so might have as well given 100% to win this one. Meaning we should start Fred whenever he’s fit.

sammyhol

I dunno, he's played a lot till recently which suggests he's one of Ole's favourites to use and he would be using him if he was able to do it at a decent level
Is this implying that Fred isn’t able to do it for us???

I fail to see how anyone could have watched us consistently this season, and think that Fred has not been integral to most of our decent performances...

And that one consistent of most of our bad games, and pretty much all the losses is no Fred playing..

We play at a snails pace when he isn’t on the team, and literally never win the ball back high up the pitch in his absence. Which is main consistent characteristic of the midfields that have dominated the Prem in the last 3 years.

Such a weird take...

Ekeke

Is this implying that Fred isn’t able to do it for us???

I fail to see how anyone could have watched us consistently this season, and think that Fred has not been integral to most of our decent performances...

And that one consistent of most of our bad games, and pretty much all the losses is no Fred playing..

We play at a snails pace when he isn’t on the team, and literally never win the ball back high up the pitch in his absence. Which is main consistent characteristic of the midfields that have dominated the Prem in the last 3 years.

Such a weird take...
I mean if he is able to do what he normally does at a decent level, then Ole would surely be using him rather than resting him. As he has done till this point as he's been one of Ole's favourites this season.

It doesnt seem like Ole has just lost complete faith in him after his last match and now wont play him. He wasnt very good but he didnt do anything that would cause him to be forgotten about

Levenstein

Should’ve been coming on field at half time with Cavani and Shaw shortly after.

Arsenal 0:0 Man Utd

Based Adnan

As usual commits himself too easily and just gets played around. Not sure why he's shooting whenever there's a half chance either as he's proven to be completely terrible at it. Poor game.

acnumber9

Should be fined every time he shoots or somebody runs past him like he isn’t there. Cover our match day revenue loss easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.