Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

city-puma

This game shows why we need an extra one beside mcfred for selection. Burley is such a pain on the ass to play against. They basically played long ball from box to box to skip the midfield. Without physical, we would have been beaten to death. I agree Rice will help more in a game like this.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
The Jekyll and Hyde performances are why people can’t enjoy the really good games like against Spurs. Today we should have just started Donny. He’s got fresh legs and is clearly raring to go. We were also going to have lots of the ball. Oles selections confuse me sometimes and I don’t think his rotation is getting the max out of the squad he has but I also can’t argue with the job he’s doing. He’s overplaying 3 or 4 of our players to the point of their form almost totally dropping off and no reaction or compromise has been attempted.

Fred has been one of my favourite players over the last 2 seasons but if we can get Camavinga or someone like Rice and expand their game then Fred will become a squad player and I’m totally cool with that. I think he’d still be an amazing option in the big games. He’s on nearly 700 minutes more than the next closest Utd midfielder this season and against the smaller teams there just isn’t a massive need for both Fred and McT.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Whenever & wherever Burnley breaks - Fred is always attempting to make it harder for them by chasing them down.

I value him as a useful player in our squad and have been happy with his performances for us this season.

criticalanalysis

Did okay. Made a lot interceptions in their half that wasn't really capitalised on.

Bit sloppy on the ball at times, huff and puffed a lot.

McT was the worse of the two imo. Not a good partnership from them two this game.

lex talionis

Industrious again but I’d really like to see Fred develop quality in the final third, other than being a decoy striker on free kicks.

Litch

Industrious again but I’d really like to see Fred develop quality in the final third, other than being a decoy striker on free kicks.
His job is to close down, tackle, win the ball and give it. Not to shoot, dribble or be creative. Never understood why he gets criticised for anything else? That's like saying Bruno doesnt tackle enough or Pogs doesn't score enough headers.

lex talionis

His job is to close down, tackle, win the ball and give it. Not to shoot, dribble or be creative. Never understood why he gets criticised for anything else? That's like saying Bruno doesnt tackle enough or Pogs doesn't score enough headers.
A poor analogy, but I appreciate what you were trying to argue. Fred isn’t really a destroyer, is he?

lex talionis

Everyone knows that he is not going to take it. So he is not even a decoy.
No, he us not an effective decoy on free kicks. But I’d still like to see him develop something of a passing nous in the last third. I understand the objection that that would be asking too much of him, but I’d still like to see Fred improve his game in this regard. Or at least work on it.

Raven

Really good, passing was nice and sharp again, wish he could keep it like this more consistently.

Sylar

I thought he was really bad first half :lol:

But much better and actually good second half

Devil may care

All over the shop in the 1st half but improved in the second, him and McTominay offer so little control though and the two left room for a freight train to plough through us tonight.

RedIan

Shit first half. at fault for their 2nd imo. Didnt track the runner.
Did better 2nd and assisted with some decent passing. Still needs to be upgraded if we want to be the best of the best.

90% pass completion rate… blah blah.

i don’t think tonight is the night to lay into any of our players.

… although I do want to know why he lines up to take free kicks. The idea is that it’s meant to provide a credible alternative to the actual taker - no one thinks Fred is ever taking the free kick!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He was equally good in both 1st and 2nd half. The one who is shit in first but good in second was McTominay not Fred. I'm surprised how some of you can mistaken Fred with McTominay. 169cm and 193cm is clear big difference.

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
Seemed to get a bit of criticism for their second goal from Scholes and Hargreaves. While I agree he should of tracked the runner, I think others were more to blame.

AWB lost possession further up the pitch and Mctominnay should of got back and covered his position. He didn't though which resulted in Lindelof being pulled to RB which then ultimately left the gap in the centre of defence.

I know Fred isn't a world beater and has his own limitations and was partially to blame for the goal. But I think it's unfair that he's used as a scapegoat when others were more to blame in my opinion

RooneyLegend

Seemed to get a bit of criticism for their second goal from Scholes and Hargreaves. While I agree he should of tracked the runner, I think others were more to blame.

AWB lost possession further up the pitch and Mctominnay should of got back and covered his position. He didn't though which resulted in Lindelof being pulled to RB which then ultimately left the gap in the centre of defence.

I know Fred isn't a world beater and has his own limitations and was partially to blame for the goal. But I think it's unfair that he's used as a scapegoat when others were more to blame in my opinion
It was poor communication all round. Either our entire defence shifts or Fred fills in the gap since Scotty McT was helping wide. Our defence seemed caught between the two options.

RooneyLegend

Fred was great all game, a one man engine room of sorts. He's probably shocked by the quality of his partner every game.

stevoc

90% pass completion rate… blah blah.

i don’t think tonight is the night to lay into any of our players.

… although I do want to know why he lines up to take free kicks. The idea is that it’s meant to provide a credible alternative to the actual taker - no one thinks Fred is ever taking the free kick!
Fred does, he seems the optimistic type.

I truly believe that one day before he leaves Fred he will take a free kick and score a free kick for us. One day.

criticalanalysis

Not sure why people think Fred can't take a good free kick?

I swear he's got previous at Shaktar and from the way he passes the ball, with his flat feet, you can just tell he will have decent technique with his instep.

Let's not forget Hargreaves over certain distances/positions on the pitch was our best free kicker taker (even if he didn't take many).

I'd like to see Fred take more personally.

stevoc

I swear he's got previous at Shaktar and from the way he passes the ball, with his flat feet, you can just tell he will have decent technique with his instep.

Let's not forget Hargreaves over certain distances/positions on the pitch was our best free kicker taker (even if he didn't take many).

Because we have eyes and see him shooting every game.

He took free kicks when he first came to United, then it was decided that he shouldn't take them anymore.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Apparently Bissouma is better whilst he is even more of a ball chaser than Fred :confused:

tjb

Whenever we do decently, people always say he's good when in reality I think both he and Mctominay are the reason we aren't good more often. They don't do enough to get us to play well as a team, being the engine room, this is one of their main duties. Compare them to the champions league midfielders and the difference becomes more evident; out of the 4 teams that played. Those teams had midfields that were able to keep the ball and progress the ball quickly when needed. They didn't have midfielders so scared of the failed pass due to their lack of ability, that they constantly played it back to the defence. All the goals we scored today came from the work of Pogba, Bruno or even Cavani dropping deep to connect the play forwards. The aggressive way in which we attacked Roma tonight is proof of how good our attack actually is if the ball gets to them quickly and often enough, not simply a good game. My personal feeling is that if Fred and Mctominay were more positively impactful in our build up, the attack would look like this more often.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Yeah I was always wondering why he stood there when his shots from outside the box are so bad. Then I watched his highlights in Shaktar and be took free kicks and scored some nice curlers from outside the box. Explained why he's always trying it

Status
Not open for further replies.