Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redlyn

I only watched the second half but I thought he made some good progressive passes and didn't just go for the easy option.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I only watched the second half but I thought he made some good progressive passes and didn't just go for the easy option.
It sounds to me like that’s what people seem to be looking for, Someone who takes almost no risks and has 90% passing stats in every game. If we get that player Pogba and Bruno will have to come deeper to advance play but it’s like talking to the wall. It’s Fred’s fault we are out of the CL and only in second. Nothing to do with the attack being a mile off when cavani wasn’t available

Ace

Out of position in the build up for their goal. Anguissa receives and turns in the space Fred is supposed to be occupying. I know we've got extremely low standards for him given his stand-out performances, but just re-watch their goal-- He's pressing the center back!

Kaizane

I dread when Fred's on the ball in the final third. He's no good at the short intricate passing required to breakdown the low block we come up against often, and will just end up giving it away and having to chase back his own unforced error. Rarely will he make a useful forward pass, that not only finds a team mate, but finds him in a good position and if he shoots, it's guaranteed to end up a goal kick. Thinking about it, I don't like Fred having the ball at all, to be honest. Sounds harsh, but he's not a very good footballer. He's a good runner, but if we are to seriously challenge for the league next year, Fred can't be starting week in, week out.

Matthew84!

He reminds me of Smailing on the ball, can make the occasional good pass but no good going forward and even worse near his own goal,
I think next season will be make or break now the fans are back in.

TheReligion

Abusive
Works hard and is likely incredibly happy to be here but we should really look at upgrading this area of the team. Both he and Mctominay are squad players and shouldn't be starting week in, week out. Let alone together.

laughtersassassin

He’s at fault so many goals. I don’t understand why people harp on about him at all.

If Pogba was at fault for anywhere near as many goals Fred has been, especially as of late this forum would go into meltdown.
Yeah for someone who's basically only job he is supposed to do well is protect the defence he sure costs us a lot of goals.

In recent months any good he does, he also undoes with his mistakes

Ali Dia

I don’t want to jinx it but I have a feeling he is going to be very important tonight after a rest. Everyone will be so confused and conflicted after we win and Fred runs the midfield almost singlehandedly yet again. Then all summer it’ll be “he can’t do it in the CL if we want to step up” get a more suitable partner or at least some rotation for him to keep him fresh more often and we will hopefully see the real Fred more often.

Edit- Reckon it must be the knock against Fulham. Hopefully McT can step it up big time tonight. Super nervous!

Last edited:

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
Yeah but he was #6 I think, ballsy from Frederick!
Didn't he take alot of set pieces at Shaktar? The only players remaining at that stage were James/Shaw/Axel/Lindelof/De Gea. So I wasn't too surprised to see him step up then especially being more senior than the likes of James.

Should of started the game in my opinion with Pogba on the left and Rashford on the bench.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Can't say for sure anything would've been different had he been fit to start, but at least we would've had a game changer on the bench to be able to make subs earlier.

He has his uses, and has generally been a good big game player, but he's not a top tier midfielder. But I think if we sign a midfielder, the likeliest scenario is he stays as the starter next to the new guy, rather then he gets benched which isn't what most people want, but its fine.

AshRK

Vdb would have done what he did and that too better. Don't rate him one bit. His ball control looks so shambolic. I really doubt if he is a Brazilian. Someone check his passport. No skill just running like road runner is his biggest asset. Tired of him to be fair.

jackal&hyde

Such a strange player. He clearly has decent technical ability yet miss places so many easy passes and is dispossessed in key areas so much it is unreal. Had a terrible end to the season and I don't know if he has personal issues, injuries (well, no that I think about it he has) but things are just not working out. Needs to be a squad player next season, not a starter.

Nickelodeon

How have we normalized Fred passing the ball straight out of play multiple times a game?

We don't know exactly how injured he was, but if he was fit and starts that game we win comfortably.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Can't say for sure anything would've been different had he been fit to start, but at least we would've had a game changer on the bench to be able to make subs earlier.

He has his uses, and has generally been a good big game player, but he's not a top tier midfielder. But I think if we sign a midfielder, the likeliest scenario is he stays as the starter next to the new guy, rather then he gets benched which isn't what most people want, but its fine.
In big games like last night Fred has played well more often than he’s played poorly this season. Seeing as McT had his best game of the season I reckon McFred in the starting line-up would have improved us significantly. Our record with/without Fred speaks for itself anyway. Just like our record with Pogba playing deep is also self explanatory.

Plus, as you say, bringing Rashford or Pogba on after an hour could have made a huge difference.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Hope that game last night puts some more respect on his name.

Can't believe how many people were expecting / almost hoping him to miss in the shoot out either. They would have loved to use him as the scapegoat!

Delighted he stuck it away with aplomb.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Not really sure how people are thinking that last night was a positive for Fred. McTominay put in a performance that clearly showed all the elements missing from Fred’s game.

When Fred did come on, he still managed a few of his trademark “lose the ball in a dangerous area” moves and some classic “pass the ball straight out of play”, despite not having that long on the pitch.

Good penalty though, I was convinced he was going to miss.

Sylar

I was confident when he stepped up.

Felt like we missed him.
Him or somebody next to mct and play that 442 hybrid which has brought the best out of a lot of players.

Rashford shouldn't have started but since he did he should have been hooked in normal time and then pushed Pogba further up as the issue was lack of creation and quick play around their box

Ali Dia

There you go to all the people that have been saying they want to see Pogba play in the middle. No tempo. Super slow short passing when he actually bothers. Caught on the ball half the time. It kills us. You need someone in there taking it on in tight situations to make space for others further up. It’s like most of the posters in here don’t understand midfield at all. Few pinged long balls is enough. Ditto with tackling early and pressing high up. It makes a huge huge difference to our control of a game and the quality of chances we make but you are blind to it.

Last edited:

Mr PG

People are so biased against fred it’s unreal. His numbers speak for themselves yet people will define him by his odd moments.....

Mr PG

We need a passer next to him. It’ll be McTominay who will be replaced not Fred.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
People are so biased against fred it’s unreal. His numbers speak for themselves yet people will define him by his odd moments.....
His peformances speak for themselves and not very well at that

lex talionis

I hope there's room in Fred's locker for better quality on the ball. There's always room for a player like Fred, who does an excellent job of harassing opposing players with the ball, but what we really can't afford to have if we're going to put in a proper PL title run is a midfielder who struggles to pass the ball through the lines.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Started twice in a row in World Cup qualifier paired with Casemiro while Fabinho sat on the bench. Fabinho in the mud!! :drool: :p

bsCallout

I don't think he's been match fit for most the season and that's why he has featured so little. Understandably he was given some time at the start of the season to 'adapt' then he still managed to pick up a knock despite not playing much, now he has another knock keeping him out.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Starts today for Brazil. Fabinho on the bench for 3x in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.