5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kostov

One thing I often forget about Fred is that he is very much a confidence player. You could see a shift in his passing and touch from the start, much more confident and comfortable in everything he did. I think he did good in a match we lacked control and tidied up lots of feck ups coming from Bruno and Rashford.

simplyared

I would be inclined to think the Norwich game was his best in a United shirt. Didn't put a foot wrong and for me our best player. Never thought I'd be saying this but there's definately a player in there.

criticalanalysis

Fredinho in action

He had lots of little joga bonito touches in the game and his ball manipulations are actually underrated imo because he very often tries to open the pitch to play a quick forward or progressive pass.

He's not blameless of course by playing carelessly or being over eager but no one can dispute he always tries.

Remember the geese

I would be inclined to think the Norwich game was his best in a United shirt. Didn't put a foot wrong and for me our best player. Never thought I'd be saying this but there's definately a player in there.
He's had countless games just as good as the Norwich game, if not better. He's just a very good, under appreciated player.

manunited1919

I am of two minds about Fred. On the one hand, he works his but off for the team and is all over the pitch. He is great at recovering the ball and pressing. He will not hesitate to put his body on the line. He can also provide some good passes when we’re attacking. I don’t think we have another player that works as much as Fred.

On the other hand, sometimes we depend so much on him and he doesn’t have great vision, lacks a bit in technical ability, is sometimes prone to defensive mistakes when put under pressure, and almost every game he will make some errant passes which should be very simple to make. He is not easy on the eye, and sometimes seems like a bull in a china shop.

As much as I appreciate his efforts and commitment, I feel we need a better player in that position if we are to win anything. We should have a player of the level of prime Luca Modric, or Toni Kross. Fred is not of that level or quality. And unfortunately,we have no better alternatives.

Litch

I am of two minds about Fred. On the one hand, he works his but off for the team and is all over the pitch. He is great at recovering the ball and pressing. He will not hesitate to put his body on the line. He can also provide some good passes when we’re attacking. I don’t think we have another player that works as much as Fred.

On the other hand, sometimes we depend so much on him and he doesn’t have great vision, lacks a bit in technical ability, is sometimes prone to defensive mistakes when put under pressure, and almost every game he will make some errant passes which should be very simple to make. He is not easy on the eye, and sometimes seems like a bull in a china shop.

As much as I appreciate his efforts and commitment, I feel we need a better player in that position if we are to win anything. We should have a player of the level of prime Luca Modric, or Toni Kross. Fred is not of that level or quality. And unfortunately,we have no better alternatives.
The problem is often we look at Fred in a forensic way. Midfielders are prone to make mistakes when put under pressure, every midfielder is prone to erratic passes. Not sure whether 'easy on the eye' is a measure. Fred can be upgraded but at least that should be with a player that is in the team to win the ball back and press. In fairness, he is pretty good at that. He can create chances and we have even seen that yesterday on a couple of occasions.

Prime Luca and Kross, doesn't most teams but we haven't we got one? Pogba.....

Tallis

He has been awesome the last 2 games. Possibly our best player excluding DDG. Love his creative play too.
Oddly enough Fred and McT look like the outfield players that need the least replacing.

bugmat

The only crap thing in his game is his shooting. Funniest thing when we saw him lineup like he would take free kick with the others :lol:
His free kicks are actually quite good and before Bruno and then Telles came he was taking a few for us, with them on target. It's his hitting of a moving ball (especially with his weaker foot) that can be erratic, though recently he's been good.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

As you said, we depend so much on him which is a huge part of the issue. In most games he ends up trying to be our main presser, harrier and ball-winner, while also trying to be our main deep playmaker. It doesn't make sense that we rely on him to do both roles (especially as he's not good enough to be the latter for a top team). How many midfielders are there in the world who are successful at doing both?

It's why I've always said it's harsh to criticise Fred too much for the mistakes he makes when trying to play that deeper creative role. He's not particularly suited to it, and it's no surprise that it does tend to highlight his weaknesses at times. Partner him with the right type of player so that Fred can focus more on his strengths and we might see a whole new level to his game.

Newcastle 1:1 Man Utd

Bobski

Bad Fred tonight. I wonder if he is one who has just recovered from Covid as his energy levels were well down on normal, to with the erratic touches and passes.

stevoc

Bad Fred tonight. I wonder if he is one who has just recovered from Covid as his energy levels were well down on normal, to with the erratic touches and passes.
Could be and he probably wasn't alone if that was the case.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
The usual “when he’s poor he’s awful” performance from Fred. Won little to no duels and his passing was awful, not alert enough either as breaking balls when through his legs a few times.

Atleast he was taken of at HT. But he was only slightly shitter than the rest.

Tyrion

I don't believe he can be the key player people on here think given how bad his passing is. I expect him to lose the ball whenever he plays even a slightly difficult pass.

Andersons Dietician

He was by far our best player first half and made some vital bits of play as well as picking out some great forward passes whilst getting forward himself.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He was by far our best player first half and made some vital bits of play as well as picking out some great forward passes whilst getting forward himself.
Im a fan and can’t say I saw the same things tonight. He was poor but everyone else was too. It became a game of clearing our lines and lumping it forward once he went off. Zero control of the game or any attempt to control the game.

arnie_ni

You what? He was equally as dreadful as everyone else and seemed to lost the ball everytime he passed forward.

McTominay was better today and that's not saying much.

He misplaced a simple through ball to Ronaldo and didn't see 2 others about 10 seconds apart.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Seriously? I'm normally someone who defends Fred and admires what he brings, but other than the first 10 minutes (where he did do some good stuff) he was terrible for the rest of the first half.

Ixion

He just isn't a strong enough DM to consistently play there, I prefer him a bit further up the pitch. Should play him in that next two where Bruno/Greenwood were.

Mozox

I'll keep telling this - worst football player in Manchester since Fellaini or Darmian.
Ok, he is rapid and combative but what else? Sometimes can make same good interception.
  • no shots in him
  • no right foot
  • atrocius long passes
  • terrible short passes
  • being outmuscled every game (bad for him, he really tries)
Yesterday, around 20-30 minutes from the beggining was Fred as its best. Lost 3 balls in one action, passed to nobody and had no feckin idea where the ball and action took place.

We paid ca. 50 millions for this little magician. Incredible.

Sell him for 20 (?) and buy proper midfielder who can play the ball like Tielemans.

Ekeke

Erratic and frustrating passing. I didnt expect him to be subbed because he tends to play no matter how he does, but McTominay was doing a better job winning the ball so it made sense defensively.

Normal Fred really. Loose touches, poor passes, did have 1 nice pass early on through the lines other than that basic distribution

Castia

Just simply not good enough and the partnership with McTominay is one of the worst in the PL it’s just 2 bang average players starting 40 games a season.

I don’t get it his form‘s been off for 18 months he has more crap/average performances than anybody yet plays every game.

You can play any formation it doesn’t matter when your midfield loses the battle you’re going to struggle. Imagine McFred in City’s starting line up the likes of De Bruyne and Silva would probably look shite as well with these 2 guys giving the ball away every 2 minutes.

Litch

Fred is a reflection of Utd. Good, bad and indifferent. The good enough argument is nonsensical as it could be attributed to every single aspect of this club. The idea of not signing CDM was the problem and McFred contributed to the downfall of Ole, well didn't we sign one of the best young talents in the world? How about the most experienced CB in the world? Oh, lets not mention CR7? Pogs, Harry, Shaw look shocking. Given our history to date, you think Rice would look any different?

The players whose ceilings are way higher than Fred and have been absolutely shite, maybe they aren't good enough too.

Last edited:

Marwood

It's not just giving the ball away, it's how he gives it away. At his worst, it looks genuinely amateur. The sort of misplaced passes that good midfielders aren't capable of. Just not in their locker.

Green_Red

Fred crumbles under any sort of pressure. I think he is easily the worst Brazilian midfielder I've ever seen. He cannot continue to be played. His time is surely up?

Sir Red Devil

Picking your best player from the first half is like choosing your favourite member of Coldplay.
It's hard for me to choose my favorite Coldplay member because I love them all equally which can not be said about our current squad members. Currently we have no choice but to play Fred (and Mctominay for that matter) until we bring in a couple of top midfielders. Fred is an energetic player with little quality on and off the ball. We have a weird tendency to buy a brazilian midfileders with limited technical abilities.

Marquee Moon

If I had to pick a United team to play for my life, he'd be one of the first I'd pick. With my life on the line I don't care what anyone says.
Fred always had his work cut out, because he just wasn't a Mourinho signing. How do I know this? Not long after his arrival there was a game against Wolves in which we started with Fellaini holding, behind Pogba & Fred. Fred was the best player on the pitch in the first half, and linked up with Pogba to score. He nearly doubled our advantage just on half time, bringing a great save out of Patricio. Things were going fine, but as soon as we emerged after the break, you could see that everything had changed. Suddenly Fellaini was deployed in the attacking role, and Fred was pushed back into the holding role. You could see that he was far from comfortable with it. Actually he was all at sea. Before long the best player on the pitch in the first half was substituted. It sounds crazy but if you go back and watch that game you will see that I'm telling the truth. I think Mourinho had already clocked out even then. Because the following week at West Ham, Fred was out altogether, and Mourinho deployed all the palm trees: McTominay, Matic, Pogba and Fellaini. I knew even then the guy was tanking. He never really gave Fred another go.
I think the treatment that was meted out to Fred by Mourinho only fuelled the general perception among fans that Fred wasn't up to it. That perception continues to linger even now.

Last edited:

stevoc

If I had to pick a United team to play for my life, he'd be one of the first I'd pick. With my life on the line I don't care what anyone says.
Fred always had his work cut out, because he just wasn't a Mourinho signing. How do I know this? Not long after his arrival there was a game against Wolves in which we started with Fellaini holding, behind Pogba & Fred. Fred was the best player on the pitch in the first half, and linked up with Pogba to score. He nearly doubled our advantage just on half time, bringing a great save out of Patricio. Things were going fine, but as soon as we emerged after the break, you could see that everything had changed. Suddenly Fellaini was deployed in the attacking role, and Fred was pushed back into the holding role. You could see that he was far from comfortable with it. Actually he was all at sea. Before long the best player on the pitch in the first half was substituted. It sounds crazy but if
:lol:

To be fair that sounds like Fred to a tee, he's like Jekyll and Fred most games.

Great one half and crap the next or vice versa.

Marquee Moon

To be fair that sounds like Fred to a tee, he's like Jekyll and Fred most games.

Fair enough, with my life on the line I would certainly be hanging on the edge of my seat. Also, I'm sorry I didn't complete that post before clicking.

stevoc

Fair enough, with my life on the line I would certainly be hanging on the edge of my seat. Also, I'm sorry I didn't complete that post before clicking.
You do have a point mate the time period you are referring to Jose had definitely checked out and was probably trying to sabotage his own team. He didn't seem to fancy Fred at all, though I do think he was a Mourinho signing. Jose was throwing a hissy because he didn't get Maguire.

432JuanMata

That is both Fred and Mctominay. Both have world class performances then go back to poor. There consistentcy is so bad, it’s the base level that is the problem. Top CM’s have 8/10 performances most weeks but when they are off still pull a 6.5/10 yet Fred and Mctominay do be awful

Marquee Moon

You do have a point mate the time period you are referring to Jose had definitely checked out and was probably trying to sabotage his own team. He didn't seem to fancy Fred at all, though I do think he was a Mourinho signing. Jose was throwing a hissy because he didn't get Maguire.
Checked out is right. I remember just prior to kickoff against West Ham, having chosen such a terrible lineup, he took a chair and sat down just near the touchline. The camera zoomed in towards him from afar. He sat there eyeballing the camera with this shiteating grin on his face, and looking like he was there for no other reason than to bask in the glorious autumn sunshine. I can't believe people still wanted him to stay after that.

Rilz

Supports
Manchester united
That is both Fred and Mctominay. Both have world class performances then go back to poor. There consistentcy is so bad, it’s the base level that is the problem. Top CM’s have 8/10 performances most weeks but when they are off still pull a 6.5/10 yet Fred and Mctominay do be awful
sorry but I’ve never seen a world class performance from the pair of them?

not meant as a disrespect but, world class performances ? Which ones?

jesperjaap

Honestly cant fathom what some fans are seeing with some of the praise he gets on here, genuinely baffled.

He is one of the worst midfielders I can ever remember in a Untied shirt. Yes he has a great attitude and works hard, which can be an assett in some of the big games.....but isnt that an absolute bare minimum for any footballer?

Positionally he isnt great, he isnt an intelligent player, he can get knocked off the ball in a challenge, his shootign is generally pretty horrendous and his range of passing doesnt even exist, so many plays break down from a misplaced pass from him and we arent talking about mosplaced hollywood Fernandes passes, we are generally talking about simple passes. We have signed for big fees the likes of Robson, Ince, Keane and Veron in my lifetime, he has nowhere near the ability of the wrong foot of any of them and Veron who is often slaughtered for his failings here put in more consitent performances. Klerberson was a better midfielder than Fred who is barely better than Djemba Djemba and they both go down as utter flops. ANd he cost us over £50m, surely one of the worst signings pound for pound transfer fee wise we have ever made

NZT-One

Would be interesting to know, if his exclusion is more down to the rest of the team is incapable of the RR natural game with high pressing and stuff or if it's down to Freds bad game against Newcastle. I don't know how Wolves are playing these days, I remember them having us by the balls in the first game. When they are looking for the same approach this time, it might be good to have as they sat pretty deep. But we have to do anything to stop them from countering...

Status
Not open for further replies.