5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Abraxas

He always plays with 110% effort, and he has an amazing engine, that is one thing I will never fault, he is also brave in the way he plays (he goes for tackles/tussles, comes deep to receive the ball while under pressure, etc...)

However, I think he is not a starting 11 quality for team aiming to win titles, but he can be a reliable squad option that can come off the pitch or be a temporary starter to cover someone else.
I disagree, I think your description is more accurate for somebody like McTominay. He's the sort of player that should be coming in for a handful of games and cup games.

Fred, within a functioning team is good enough. There are very few with his energy and pressing ability, that can win the ball, carry the ball and contribute to counters. If he has somebody mopping up and more responsible for building play (which we just don't have currently) then he can focus on what he's actually good at instead of having to do everything, some of which is not suited to him and produces inconsistencies.

I don't see who we're going to easily replace Fred's skills with that's a clear upgrade that wouldn't be a waste of money considering the other holes in the team that are definitely not title quality. All the stats bear this out as well, Fred is one of our high performing players relative to other players of his type on the market.

bugmat

Are you really suggesting the cut back is the easiest option? Not only does he have to get in between the 2 players, he also has to squeeze it past the Leeds player that has already closed him down and cut out the angle. Not impossible, but let's not pretend he has an eye for a pass either.

Great post - you've absolutely smashed him there. He probably needs to bore off himself with posts like that.

SirScholes

Bollox. Normally he’s pretty good. Sometimes absolutely exceptional. Sometimes absolutely terrible. Far more frequently in the first two categories than the third.
Alright I’ll give you normally he’s ok
Sometimes decent
Rarely exceptional
Rarely shit

but lets not kid ourselves here, we will never win the league with Fred being a main centre mid

SirScholes

Speaks volumes and it has been the same trend for the last couple of seasons

Facts can say anything
We should have a 60% win rate anyway
Who were the teams
There is no one else to play so when he’s not there it’s old man matic
This doesn’t make him unreal, may be best out of a bad bunch.
This just highlights our need to sign a couple solid centre midfielders and Fred / Scott can be squaddies

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
but lets not kid ourselves here, we will never win the league with Fred being a main centre mid
Maybe not, but he's a damn good piece to have on the team. You need guys like him with such an attitude and work rate.

Eli Zee

He's honestly my favorite player on the team right now and I highly rate him. May not be the best technique wise, but he plays hard every minute of every game

Last edited:

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Fair point, but I think he had only one thing in his mind though. That's to take a shot. As soon as he received it, boom.
Yes, it went in but if it was saved we would be talking about how he is aimlessly trying to shoot it when he could have had a pass. Let's be honest, it's not exactly a shooting angle that will end up as a goal.
I don’t get it. so when he wasn’t scoring or assisting he was a terrible who just ran around a lot. Now when he is he should be passing it off? We could still be playing Leeds now and Ronaldo probably wouldn’t have scored. Fred has stepped up the creativity because the system allows him to get forward and also because we badly need it. Our attack is far from the required standard to win anything this year (or last year). Thank feck for Fred coming though with g/a this season because we’d probably be in 7th otherwise.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I don’t get it. so when he wasn’t scoring or assisting he was a terrible who just ran around a lot. Now when he is he should be passing it off? We could still be playing Leeds now and Ronaldo probably wouldn’t have scored. Fred has stepped up the creativity because the system allows him to get forward and also because we badly need it. Our attack is far from the required standard to win anything this year (or last year). Thank feck for Fred coming though with g/a this season because we’d probably be in 7th otherwise.
Dude, you are not taking it in the right sense. That was a tight angle and it's not easy to score the same goal again. 9 out of 10 times, that goal is getting saved.

Litch

You just can’t help but like this guy. Anyone else also notice if it goes off on the pitch, who is the first to back up his team mate? Whether you think he’s good enough or not, no one can question his desire or commitment.

Silverman

He definitely deserves his place in the squad. What I like about him is, he is brave on the pitch.

Oldtraffordboy

Thankful to have someone with his attitude and work rate in the squad.

He is brave and tries difficult passes, even when the crowd are getting on his back too (yes they don't always come off but at least he tries them more than McT).

He ALWAYS claps the fans too, even if he/the team have had a stinker.

Irwin99

A very likable chap. I think he's been a good signing (not great before i'm shot down in flames) to be honest. He's certainly been better than Matic during his time here and has played more consistently than Pogba.

lex talionis

He may not have a beautiful name for a samba boy and there's no denying he's put in some shocking performances in a red shirt, but Fred's impact when he came on as a sub at Elland road was orgasmic. I'm on record having a problem with Fred as a regular starter for us but I love him as a squad man. May Fred's reign as a super sub long continue!

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I've only realized this now, but this mofo ain't really a defensive mid is he? He is an attacking midfielder.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
He is an awesome player but he goes on occasional bad streaks where his passing becomes reminiscent of what one sees in a league one side.

If he bulks up a bit more he might be harder to dispossess too

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He may not have a beautiful name for a samba boy and there's no denying he's put in some shocking performances in a red shirt, but Fred's impact when he came on as a sub at Elland road was orgasmic. I'm on record having a problem with Fred as a regular starter for us but I love him as a squad man. May Fred's reign as a super sub long continue!
And TBF he has rarely been played at his fav/best position.

oz insomniac

Fred is an attacking midfielder, who in most teams would compliment a decent DM. McTom doesn’t have the energy or the skill to play in DM role, most of the time he looks like a CB playing in midfield, actually Lindelof can look better in that role.

Unfortunately the skill midfield player (Pogba) is not too keen on workrate, McTom is who he is, if you take Fred out of any midfield role, then those are times we tend to be over run. I do t watch too many other teams, but sure you can find similar players like Fred in the good EPL teams, they just have better role players around him.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Does Fred actually have a best position, or is just a player you bring on in a tight situation to create havoc on the opposition?
He said that his preferred position is a box to box mid -- he plays in that position for the Brazil National team too.

Corridor of Uncertainty

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thescore.com/chlg/news/2303514/amp

Fred was asked what it was like not to have a permanent manager in charge after Ole's sacking

It is a bit strange," Fred admitted about the situation at United, according to BBC Sport.

Ralf Rangnick was appointed as Solskjaer's successor on an interim basis. The German will assume a consultancy role at the club when the season is over.

"I know, in football, it's important to get good results as soon as possible, but it's also important to have a long-term plan," Fred said. "I think it's a little bit bad for us not to have one. At the moment, it's all about the short-term goals."

Cloud7

Stellar quote.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thescore.com/chlg/news/2303514/amp

Fred was asked what it was like not to have a permanent manager in charge after Ole's sacking

It is a bit strange," Fred admitted about the situation at United, according to BBC Sport.

Ralf Rangnick was appointed as Solskjaer's successor on an interim basis. The German will assume a consultancy role at the club when the season is over.

"I know, in football, it's important to get good results as soon as possible, but it's also important to have a long-term plan," Fred said. "I think it's a little bit bad for us not to have one. At the moment, it's all about the short-term goals."
To be fair he’s not wrong, although I’m sure someone will find a way to get upset at this quote. It is very weird to spend half a season with an interim manager with no idea as to what happens afterwards.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
Fair point, but I think he had only one thing in his mind though. That's to take a shot. As soon as he received it, boom.
Yes, it went in but if it was saved we would be talking about how he is aimlessly trying to shoot it when he could have had a pass. Let's be honest, it's not exactly a shooting angle that will end up as a goal.
He literally scored from that angle :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.