5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

CloneMC16

AWB is bad, but off the ball he is very decent. Even saved us this match. Fred is a walking disaster all around. Absolute priority is to replace him. As I said in a previous post of mine - it's like playing against 12 men when he is on the pitch. The right back is still a weak spot for us, but not as much as midfield. Ideally we would want two players next summer - a DM, a CM and a RB. A DM and RB would be a huge upgrade on themselves, especially a solid DM who plays like an actual footballer.
Being good at one thing doesn't really matter to our fans if you struggle more with other things. People always need a scapegoat. Even when that player is playing fine, they will still get blamed. Calling Fred a walking disaster is also huge hyperbole, but alright. I can't see us signing a RB to replace AWB. He was a £50m signing and still only 23. I expect two midfielders. Especially if Pogba leaves.

Pogba of this season is a different player. Much more disciplined in his position, better at keeping the ball and seems to be working harder. McTominay has the attributes Pogba lacks, like intensity. They could potentially make a good in games where we will dominate.

For me Ole needs to start experimenting with the midfield, Fred's form and overall is not good enough to take us to that next level and Matic can't be relied on.
He really isn't. Pogba has played his best for us on the left and the seasons he had Herrera and Matic behind him. Pogba and McTominay in a hard fought game will look just as bad as Pogba and Fred in midfield. He has already stated he plays better with less defensive responsibility. It's not his game. Trying to force it isn't going to get the best out of him. McTominay is also not a CDM.

city-puma

Shameful! Pathetic!
People imagine and put the so-called “high-standard” to the player, the other human being. They micro zoom in every mistake as if they can do it in the field they excel in. There is zero understanding and tolerance. Ridiculous!

robsoll

what is hard to comprehend, is that no one at Old Traffords hierarchy has put their hand up during a meeting and said “this Fred fella is he any good or what” seems to me that they don’t know what to do about him because of the truly massive fee they have paid for him, pay 20million and he is would be an expensive flop but they didn’t pay 20mil, so what do you do. You bury your head in the sand and do nothing rather than accept that you have made a big mistake, get rid of and get someone els, because no one could be worse.

lex talionis

Yes, it a dire performance overall today by Fred but I still think he has a role for us as a squad player. But Ole needs to find another path for our starting XI. Fred doesn’t defend that well nor does he conjure up a pass in transition. And by having him on the pitch we remove an attacking player.

Are we really going to bench both Rashford and Sancho when both are fully fit in order to make sure Fred starts? God I hope not.

Litch

Shameful! Pathetic!
People imagine and put the so-called “high-standard” to the player, the other human being. They micro zoom in every mistake as if they can do it in the field they excel in. There is zero understanding and tolerance. Ridiculous!
Well said Sir. Fred is not the long term answer but the comments do not reflect that performance even if they don't rate him.

Litch

what is hard to comprehend, is that no one at Old Traffords hierarchy has put their hand up during a meeting and said “this Fred fella is he any good or what” seems to me that they don’t know what to do about him because of the truly massive fee they have paid for him, pay 20million and he is would be an expensive flop but they didn’t pay 20mil, so what do you do. You bury your head in the sand and do nothing rather than accept that you have made a big mistake, get rid of and get someone els, because no one could be worse.
Question. Why would Ole pick someone that would cost him games and ultimately lose him his job? Surely he just wouldn't play him.....?

El Zoido

I'm not his biggest fan but he can play a lot better than this. He'll be starting against the biggest teams so I hope he's saving his best.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
New Scapegoat? He’s been shite for 18 months and hes called out after every match. If you asked a thousand fans who our worst player is 999 of them would say Fred he’s dog shit.
You mean there weren't loads saying fair play to him in the last 18 months? People are fickle.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
This is why you need to develop players like van de Beek. We don't really have any alternative for Fred in this very poor form.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I think you trade his errant passes for the energy he gives you...but only up to a point.

And that point is when he keeps gifting chances to the opposition, for absolutely no reason. I think it was the Vlasic chance when we were dominating, had just put in a corner and all he had to do was guide a simple ball back outwide. Instead he failed, played it straight to WHU who went up and should have scored.

He had another similar moment in the 2nd half when his pass put us under pressure.

It's just not good enough from a seasoned pro, imo.

BUT.

If you replace him with VdB we're getting totally overrun. It's a real problem.

EtH

Yes, it a dire performance overall today by Fred but I still think he has a role for us as a squad player. But Ole needs to find another path for our starting XI. Fred doesn’t defend that well nor does he conjure up a pass in transition. And by having him on the pitch we remove an attacking player.

Are we really going to bench both Rashford and Sancho when both are fully fit in order to make sure Fred starts? God I hope not.
Just play Pogba in midfield with McSauce. Can’t be any worse defensively considering Fred’s penchant for launching opposition counters with his passing.

SAF is the GOAT

His passing today and coming and receiving the ball was way better than usual I have to admit.

SAFMUTD

I can't believe he's Brazilian, I mean he's such a poor passer it's almost unbelievable.

stevoc

88% pass success rate today. I don't even think he played that well, but this is a really odd performance to point to as an example of Fred being a disaster. He was fairly non-descript and for the most part just kept things ticking over even though, yes, he did miss a few passes.
Which shows you that passing accuracy stats give very little indication to the quality of a midfielders performance.

Having said that I don't think he was as bad today as some seem to but I do think he needs a week or two off as he's having a bad time of it recently. We have DVB, Matic and McTominay back along with Pogba we should start rotating more in central midfield.

Jericho

I think he’s been good at times in the past but lately the games have been just passing him by. He was a nonentity today. He ran a lot but I don’t remember him making any tackles, he was always a step or two behind.

stevoc

Question. Why would Ole pick someone that would cost him games and ultimately lose him his job? Surely he just wouldn't play him.....?
Fred is alongside McTominay is the best option available to Solskjaer.

Though that doesn't necessarily mean he's a top midfielder or that solskjaer wouldn't prefer a different player if he'd been able to sign one during the summer.

Let's remember he played lindelof when fit last season yet replaced him. The same will happen in midfield in the near future I suspect.

TheMitz

When the ball ran under his foot in the second half as he tried to control it, just sums him up for me. Can never criticise his effort but he is our weak link.

Abraxas

It's nothing to do with the fee. We paid 40 million for Donny van de Beek and he's hardly kicked a football. We paid 30 odd million for Lindelof and he was our first choice centre back last season and he has been swiftly replaced. The manager clearly is not picking lineups based off fees.

He's played because Ole has seen the merit in him as one of our best options over the last couple of seasons. I think anybody reasonable can also see that regardless of this year's excruciatingly bad form he has brought qualities at times. This is why he's played, no need to create a bizarre theories for something easily explainable.

Eddy_JukeZ

He was shocking.

We know he can play better than this though.

He needs to pick it up and fast.

dorchy

He was shocking and had so many loose passes that put the team in trouble. The problem is this performance is his usual level and there is no hyperbole in reaction here.
I don't understand why fans are getting irate and saying we can't call out a player for not being good, blind faith is just stupid. We have a clear weakness in our team and this is further highlighted by our inability to be a winning team these last few years. Having the ability to highlight and improve on our deficiencies is the only way we start winning trophies again and being ruthless as other teams would be if they had Fred and by replacing him.

laughtersassassin

Needs some time out of the team.

He is often not good but this season it's been really poor.

McTominay is improving which is great to see. I can't say Fred is getting any better.

Fluctuation0161

Worrying that McTominay, who just came back, looked miles better than him. This level is far too high for him sadly, doesn't have the skill for it.

I hope Ole sees it and tries something else. Would like to see Pogba alongside McTominay in the middle.
Genuinely don't think Pogba can play ad a 6. Maybe Mcsauce alongside VDB could work.

laughtersassassin

Though that doesn't necessarily mean he's a top midfielder or that solskjaer wouldn't prefer a different player if he'd been able to sign one during the summer.

Let's remember he played lindelof when fit last season yet replaced him. The same will happen in midfield in the near future I suspect.
We should be trying to give someone else a run with McTominay.

Fred has been terrible this season.

Pogba and McTominay could potentially be a decent partnership.

Better than this one anyway. It just needs to be given a chance to develop

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Thought he was utterly shite. As soon as the level of difficulty was anything more than a simple 6 yard pass the way he was facing he seemed incapable. Defensively he was favourite a few times going for loose balls and every time the West Ham player still came away with the ball. That used to be about all he was good for. Seems like he's lost pace

Matic did more in 5 minutes than Fred the rest of the game

laughtersassassin

Is it just me or is he more timid going into tackles now? Either that or he's gotten miles slower in half a year
Looks slower.

The funniest thing is that we all know he isn't good with the ball but is he even really that good without the ball?

He tries a lot sure but his erratic pressing often leaves him in no man's land or sees him easily turned.

shahzy

I really, really, really don’t understand what you hope to see from Pogba in the middle that we haven’t seen already in his 5 years here.

We have seen him in CM with 29yo Matic. With Herrera. With Fellaini. With Fred. What makes you think with McTominay it’d be different?

Pogba’s a player who when given space will cause damage with his passing, vision and running. But when pressed he will often overcomplicate things and lose possession. Like he did against Young Boys or today in the second half before being taken off. You could take Jesus off the cross and put him next to Pogba in the middle and it will make absolutely no difference.
The issue is we have shit midfielders. So to cover for it we have to play as minimum of them as possible. Pogba playing there means no Fred. That's the real benefit that Fred isn't playing. Basically Matic and Mctominay should share the second midfielder position.

Someone

Something
You have to wonder, if Ole wants a midfielder who isn't one dimensional, what does he see in Fred? He does put in a shift and runs a lot, but his passing is terrible and doesn't contribute much to our attack. I'd feel a lot safer with a one dimensional boring defensive midfielder.

AR87

Which shows you that passing accuracy stats give very little indication to the quality of a midfielders performance.

Having said that I don't think he was as bad today as some seem to but I do think he needs a week or two off as he's having a bad time of it recently. We have DVB, Matic and McTominay back along with Pogba we should start rotating more in central midfield.
I agree, but a lot of complaints I saw here and on Twitter were about how sloppy he was in giving the ball away a bunch, and that just isn't true. Like I said, I don't think he played great, just fine in a fairly non-descript performance.

Litch

You might be right. He's not a top midfielder and can be upgraded (but who can't). That might be right he would have signed one but my point is like Lindelof, he has contributed to the wins. If you believe what people write, he's the reason we lose. People forget his best games have been against the best teams in PL and CL. You don't do that just running around. You don't play for Brazil if you can't pass the football. The comments are ridiculous and way overboard for a lad that gives 100% even if he's not elite. Utd have won trophies with a number of 'Freds' and we have had better players that have feck off with the weight of the criticism or not turned up at all.

We have had the best seasons since SAF has retired and Fred's played in the majority of those games. You don't achieve that as a club playing with 10 men.

Last edited:

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
He still keeps getting chances when he is dire game after game yet DVB doesn’t start next to McTominay.

stevoc

We should be trying to give someone else a run with McTominay.

Fred has been terrible this season.

Pogba and McTominay could potentially be a decent partnership.

Better than this one anyway. It just needs to be given a chance to develop
I think Fred needs a break and we should be rotating more but I still think Fred and McTominay is our best pairing, at least when they're both on form anyway.

stevoc

I agree, but a lot of complaints I saw here and on Twitter were about how sloppy he was in giving the ball away a bunch, and that just isn't true. Like I said, I don't think he played great, just fine in a fairly non-descript performance.
Yeah but that's where these stats when viewed in isolation can be misleading. If a player wins the ball but immediately loses it again in the scramble or miss controls and loses it receiving a pass etc. neither count towards his passing stats. So you can lose the ball (sometimes a lot) but still have high passing accuracy during a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.