5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bwuk

Whoever takes over from Ole won’t keep Fred as a starter.

lilcurt

Whilst I'd happily upgrade on Fred, I think AWB let him down for their goal.
He knocks the ball loose, and ends up behind Gray. AWB should have gone and taken everything, and I think that's what Fred expected too. Instead he runs back, to defend a threat that isn't there yet.
Fred then has to make up the ground, and then crumbles in the challenge.
Not buying that. We play with two CDM, that goal can't happen, they need to take care of it in midfield. He gets absolutely bodied by the biological beast which is Gray and then fails to make a tackle, he should have played the foul and taken the yellow card. That goal was 100% Fred.

lilcurt

Whoever takes over from Ole won’t keep Fred as a starter.
They probably will, and by then we probably won't have Pogba, Matic and Donny at the club. It's heartbreaking seeing the talent we have in this squad, knowing it may only be together for this season before big changes and then wasting that talent by giving it to Ole.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He had a decent game until that moment, though it wasn't even that bad. He was never able to get to the ball and there were multiple mistakes across the team. However, if it wasn't that goal it would have been another. We were wide open every single time they counter attacked us. Only a slim offside stopped the second and Fred wasn't even on the pitch then.

As long as we have this management team we won't see the best of Fred or anybody else.
Exactly. If all you can muster is one goal and being wide open on the counter all game then you can’t just blame all that on one player. It’s tactical and systemic. We just can’t seem to break teams down in a economic fashion, it’s nearly always desperate kitchen sink stuff come the end of the game. Why couldn’t we keep it tighter and draw them out and pick them off after taking the lead? We can’t defend a one goal lead either. Argh! Im pure sickened with that now today.

Sylar

He had chances in the game when he won the ball to pass the ball quickly to a runner on the wing but it was always over or under hit. He is a rubbish midfielder who overcommits in his pressing and loses the ball and the man most of the time. His passing game is a mess and he lacks most of the basics for a deep lying midfielder. It's not on him though we go into another season with him and Mctominey as our main midfielder pairing. We have bought midfielders for over 200m since Mourinho was here, Ole did also buy DVB for 40m so the club is in a mess but that takes buying away from Fred being nowhere near good enough to start for United.
I wouldnt disagree with most if not all of that.
We needed a DM and it was obvious to most. We would probably be better off starting Matic in these games, and then subbing him off on 60-70 minutes.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
How on earth did Fred not win the ball of gray? He’s weak as anything, all’s he needed to do was put a foot out and just give them a throw in. Instead he gets bullied!

arthurka

I wouldnt disagree with most if not all of that.
We needed a DM and it was obvious to most. We would probably be better off starting Matic in these games, and then subbing him off on 60-70 minutes.
At least he can make a simple pass and reads the game well, the bad is that he doesn't have a leg to stand on anymore.

Tony247

He had a decent game until that moment, though it wasn't even that bad.
No he hadn't. He was getting bullied, losing possession under pressure. Unable to read the game and break their attack. They were running through him and McT like knife in butter, stopping them was their primary responsibility. Failed miserably.

Verminator

Not buying that. We play with two CDM, that goal can't happen, they need to take care of it in midfield. He gets absolutely bodied by the biological beast which is Gray and then fails to make a tackle, he should have played the foul and taken the yellow card. That goal was 100% Fred.
You are entitled to your opinion, and as I said, Fred doesn't cover himself in glory.
I suggest you watch it again, and see what Aaron does. He is closer to the ball, and has the angle to take ball and man, but runs away from them.
Rio calling out Scott's amble back is also quite damning.

Josh 76

How on earth did Fred not win the ball of gray? He’s weak as anything, all’s he needed to do was put a foot out and just give them a throw in. Instead he gets bullied!
It’s not the first time. Happens all the fecking time.

RuudTom83

Wipe Gray out, take the yellow, free kick on the half way line, win the game.

Sometimes you can over analyse football and tactics…but it was that bloody simple.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The frustrating thing is that initially, he had the better position then he could have fouled him also but nah.

Doracle

He seems to lose a lot of 60-40s (in his favour) which isn’t ideal, given winning the ball back is the main reason he’s in the team. Frustrating as we were completely in control of the game until that error. Oh for Michael Carrick to be 10 years younger!

RonaldoVII

He was out-muscled for the goal but I thought he otherwise played well. Far better than McTominay who seems to get a free ride every week despite offering zero.

Dempsey19

He seems to lose a lot of 60-40s (in his favour) which isn’t ideal, given winning the ball back is the main reason he’s in the team. Frustrating as we were completely in control of the game until that error. Oh for Michael Carrick to be 10 years younger!
Carrick currently could come in and do a better job than McFred.

EtH

Generally OK today with a couple of bad moments. More of a standard Fred performance. Why he got hooked instead of McTominay is anyone’s guess.

dabeast

There is no way that Fred should have played today over Donny. Why is Ole not playing Mejbri instead? It is not as if Fred has some great pedigree as a trophy-winner, so a promising kid should be playing over this waste of space.

Ekeke

The goal is criminal. Thats exactly why you have a DM in the team and he loses a physical challenge to Gray of all people. A better DM would have fouled to stop the break, a much better DM would have simply won the challenge. Alan and Doucoure outclassed him today in terms of defending and helping their backline.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
The goal is criminal. Thats exactly why you have a DM in the team and he loses a physical challenge to Gray of all people. A better DM would have fouled to stop the break, a much better DM would have simply won the challenge. Alan and Doucoure outclassed him today in terms of defending and helping their backline.
He was already poor in the first half but like you said that goal was incredibly poor. That's a I'm selling you first chance I get moment.

MadMike

It's not so much that he lost the physical challenge with Gray, we know he's not strong and he loses battles all the time. He should know his own limitations there and foul Gray instead of hoping to win the physical battle. It was a bad decision more than anything. Just foul him, pick up the yellow and stop the counter.

He had an average to decent game otherwise. But the mistake in that counter cost us the 3 points.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Honestly, I'd expect any footballer to foul there after losing the physical duel. Not just a DM in particular, Fred being a midfielder makes it sting more. It's basic football IQ. Ronaldo was telling Fred just that after they scored

degea1999

that outmuscled scene occured in our games vs wolves and southampton too.

the same mistakes happen games after games, and our manager and coaches are still blind to it.

Reactions: Fortitude

EtH

He was poor in the lead up to the goal but blaming him for it is silly. The entire team was slow to react.

eire-red

He was out-muscled for the goal but I thought he otherwise played well. Far better than McTominay who seems to get a free ride every week despite offering zero.
I agree that McTominay doesn't do anywhere near enough on the ball either, but he also doesn't consistently make mistakes that lead to game changing moments.

Thought Fred was doing OK, moving the ball decently through midfield and doing things you'd generally expect. However, he then fails to sweep up and stop the counter, his literal job in that DM role, and they score. Everything else is pointless, because a competent DM does everything he did OK today better, and doesn't lose that ball with Gray.

Andersons Dietician

You know what apart from his involvement in the goal I thought he was bloody excellent today. Couple of mistakes here and there but show me a player today that didn’t make any mistakes.

Picked out some lovely passes. They were crisp, through the lines turning Everton and most of all finding their targets. Felt like he also had a pretty good game nullifying most of what they did.

Got to ask though, So do people not realise Fred is like 5ft6 propably weighing like 60kg? Or just never played a sport and realised that size and weight can give you a massive advantage in certain scenarios.

I do think he should have won the first ball but Grey gets a lucky break and the ball heads forward. If it’s me I’m kicking him in to touch which honestly looks like Fred tries to but Gray just braces himself expecting it. However at this point I’d be expecting Bissaka to take that out but he’s beaten too easily, then Shaw is beaten too easily and at this point I’m wondering where the feck is Varane. I can see Lindelof breaking his neck to get back but didnt really see Varane. It was generally a cluster feck of issues and as a team we should have done better.

Foxbatt

It is not once chance. He had two chances and he messed it up both.

Foxbatt

You know what apart from his involvement in the goal I thought he was bloody excellent today. Couple of mistakes here and there but show me a player today that didn’t make any mistakes.

Picked out some lovely passes. They were crisp, through the lines turning Everton and most of all finding their targets. Felt like he also had a pretty good game nullifying most of what they did.

Got to ask though, So do people not realise Fred is like 5ft6 propably weighing like 60kg? Or just never played a sport and realised that size and weight can give you a massive advantage in certain scenarios.

I do think he should have won the first ball but Grey gets a lucky break and the ball heads forward. If it’s me I’m kicking him in to touch which honestly looks like Fred tries to but Gray just braces himself expecting it. However at this point I’d be expecting Bissaka to take that out but he’s beaten too easily, then Shaw is beaten too easily and at this point I’m wondering where the feck is Varane. I can see Lindelof breaking his neck to get back but didnt really see Varane. It was generally a cluster feck of issues and as a team we should have done better.
So basically a coaching issue?

Acole9

Outstanding
Apart from being energetic he doesn't really offer much. He can't pass and he can't tackle.

laughtersassassin

He has cost us countless goals over the last two seasons so no surprise he did it again.

Pathetic on that counter.

There was an exact same incident in the Villareal game. Fred could have stopped a counter attack at the half way line. Lacked the intensity and strength to stop it, either by tackling or fouling the player.

We can't continue with him playing such a vital role in the team. I'd now try Lindeloff as a DM.

McTominay there's still a spark of hope in me, that he can thrive as United. But to perform he needs a better player to partner and learn from.

Donut

We really need to get somebody in in January, just about anyone half decent like Romeu will do and will be a big improvement on Fred.

NZT-One

He lost the battle on the middle line, while AWB close to him and a few other defenders as well. Just look what Docoure does to Shaw and Lindelof and then tell me it is Fred, who is solely responsible for conceding that goal. I've seen a freeze frame that shows how well positioned AWB is, he could have taken out Gray clean, maybe even without a foul.

And after Fred went off the field (for whatever reason) did we get better? Did we play better? Or did we just resort to hoofball because the midfield was completely abandoned (which hilariously makes more sense than you think knowing Everton even added Davies to Docoure and Allan to close the center).

At this point, Fred is a scapegoat. A player that was bought for too much money, a player limited in his abilities but so vital to United. He struggles because he is asked to do things, he just isn't suited to and still manages to look better than McTominay. I don't want to deny that his form suffered quite a lot, he was way better a year or two ago, but today he was more than fine, one of not many trying to keep the ball on grass, increasing the tempo, not taking 8 touches before passing to the nearest team mate in sight. Of course he is upgradeable but I would upgrade a few others before him.

DarkXaero

He was actually having a good game until the Everton goal. Even with the mistake, I'd say that he was still better than McTominay. And the goal itself, there were more people at fault than just Fred but Fred is the obvious one who sticks out, because most fans are watching the ball and not what's going around. I'm not surprised that he's an easy scapegoat for the Caf once again. I reckon Fred would look a lot better too if he didn't have Mctominay as a useless midfield partner. At least Fred isn't hiding from the ball, he makes himself available at all times.

DarkXaero

100% agree with this. People surprised by Fred being outmuscled by Demarai Gray as if Fred is physically a favorite to win that battle. That doesn't excuse Fred's mistake, he still should be doing better but I think at this point, it's clear that people here look to blame Fred first for everything on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.