Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I genuinely think he thinks AWB is the other side of grey and is expecting him to clean the ball up.

for whatever reason AWB runs away back to the half way line, gives grey time and space to turn and then run at him.

Fred tried to win it but let’s be honest he’s probably the smallest/lightest player in the league, he never wins shoulder fights. I was surprised he didn’t take the foul when he got away the first time, but I often think back to OLE saying he doesn’t want his team to be dirty. He genuinely tells them not to take tactical fouls.

It reminds me of when Pogba got the blame for when we conceded against Palace. the ball is on the half way line! the rest of the time should have got back a lot faster instead of ball watching.

MattyB1986

Ole. Fred could find another club. Even Molde won’t take Ole back now.
For real! Now Fred offers something, he's playing out of position somewhat. I could write a big analysis out but it's clear as day, him and Scott are not good enough for league aspirations.

But it seems to be a position we always neglect, even Fergie done this at times, and to me the most important positions in football, cm's.

EtH

It’s funny, we went from him having a thread about 1 cross he once did to back to being a shitehawk again
Despite him delivering an even better crossball than the one which apparently warranted a thread.

Kostov

Nail on the head.

He's a technical player and they don't look as good to most fans as players who do a crunching tackle now and then. Upgradeable, but still our best centre midfielder.
Is this sarcasm? In what sense is he technical? Woeful passer even worse shooter and shit in possession. How is he technical?

Is this sarcasm? In what sense is he technical? Woeful passer even worse shooter and shit in possession. How is he technical?
Already been explained. He makes a lot mistakes, but he is still a very technical player. There are not many in our squad who can control and move the ball in tight spaces as well as him.

Shimo

I have a bias for a player like Fred, a honest player, fights every game, stands up for his teammates and for the way his career started and how he persevered and eventually has performed, he has my respect. However, the way this season has started for him, he needs benching for a long while - at this point cannot be trusted and only Ole being stubborn to be proven "right" would be the reason for him to be playing.

That said, with the run of games we have coming up, watch him do a great job of being the disruptor/harrier and the Ole will say he is "justified" on the back of that with his selection in games where we are the dominant team on the ball but, can be expected to be countered on.

Kostov

Already been explained. He makes a lot mistakes, but he is still a very technical player. There are not many in our squad who can control and move the ball in tight spaces as well as him.
Please can you tell me where? Fred and technical explained? A technical liability maybe.

RepardReece

Seen both Fred and McT do this, hiding behind a player when our defenders have possession and both positionally incorrect.

Can any of you defending Fred explain how VDB would perform more poorly than this video?

ShinjiNinja26

Here you go Newcastle here’s your new shiny midfielder for the very reasonable price of £50m. I’ve been told he’s meant to be pretty good at defending, he also runs about a lot. For that price he’s an absolute steal and will send you well on your way to climbing up the table.

Pickle85

Please can you tell me where? Fred and technical explained? A technical liability maybe.
I suspect by 'explained' the poster means that they've baselessly attributed skills to Fred that he doesn't possess and expects everyone else to accept that as objective truth.

NZT-One

Seen both Fred and McT do this, hiding behind a player when our defenders have possession and both positionally incorrect.

Can any of you defending Fred explain how VDB would perform more poorly than this video?
Well firstly we shouldn't judge a player based on a video that might be created by someone who selected the scenes in a way to create a certain picture. If you like videos - go to youtube, look for a "all touches VDB against Young Boys Bern" and watch it, to then search for the same video for Fred. I guess you will be astounded by the result.

RepardReece

Well firstly we shouldn't judge a player based on a video that might be created by someone who selected the scenes in a way to create a certain picture. If you like videos - go to youtube, look for a "all touches VDB against Young Boys Bern" and watch it, to then search for the same video for Fred. I guess you will be astounded by the result.
That's a funny comment because Fred has performed like this for the majority of the season. This was literally me just finding a video in suggested which basically perfectly sums up his performances. I've watched all of the games thank you very much and this video is a recurring pattern game in game out.

We arse around passing it sideways in defence due to the lack of passing options ahead, as shown in this video. Matic drops back and creates space, Donny probably would to if he was playing in that position. Heck, most players would, but Fred and McT hide behind players scared of getting the ball.

NZT-One

That's a funny comment because Fred has performed like this for the majority of the season. This was literally me just finding a video in suggested which basically perfectly sums up his performances. I've watched all of the games thank you very much and this video is a recurring pattern game in game out.
Yeah sure I guess the title of the video definitely seemed to you like it was an unbiased-scouting report.
Come on mate, nothing wrong with being a bit biased towards or against certain players. Issues arise when trying to act as if it wouldn't be the case.

We arse around passing it sideways in defence due to the lack of passing options ahead, as shown in this video. Matic drops back and creates space, Donny probably would to if he was playing in that position. Heck, most players would, but Fred and McT hide behind players scared of getting the ball.
That is so wrong on so many levels in my opinion. Matic makes space? Really? He is the reason why his midfield partner usually is isolated in 9 out of 10 matches he starts because he goes deeper and deeper to avoid pressure and is slow AF to get back into midfield to support his partners. Also your views on Matic are based on what? 15 or so good minutes in the last 8 games? Awesome, I guess it isn't too hard to play well the last 10min of a game.

And about the sideways passing. Fred is in the 81th percentile regarding progressive passes (based on fbref) which I think, is lower than earlier this year where I think, he was around the 85th to 86th. In comparison: McTominay is in the 66th. Fabinho is in the 80th. VDB is in the 13th (of course a bit skewed due to playing time).
Plus: Fred provides 92th for pressures, 89th for tackles, 82th for interceptions and 97th(!!) for blocks. Of course Fred isn't a Jorginho or a Kovacic, not even a Henderson probably. But he is quite a good package, especially compared to his current team mates. The issue with passing options is a systematic issue, not because of Fred.

This is O'shea, Ji Sung Park, Fellaini, Young all over again. Easy target to shit on. Especially when looking for reasons this team doesn't perform the way it shoud when looking at the player material. I'll give you that Freds form has suffered for a while. But he still contributes. And does so probably better than some of you think.

Take a look on your own: https://fbref.com/en/players/b853e0ad/Fred

Last edited:

Raven

Fred almost always makes himself available for the pass, that's not really a criticism of him that I would consider valid.

nygaard

He had a nice assist today and bossed the midfield vs Betancur and Valverde

That's probably the worst football analysis video I've ever seen. Whoever made it clearly knows feck all about the game.

Siezard

Good player but lacks intensity sometimes. He will lose some starting spot chances due to his mistakes in the past. Likely to see Mctominay and VDB playing more going forward.

acnumber9

And about the sideways passing. Fred is in the 81th percentile regarding progressive passes (based on fbref) which I think, is lower than earlier this year where I think, he was around the 85th to 86th. In comparison:
Matic is the 93rd percentile. The deeper you play, the more ‘progressive’ your passes are likely to be.

Raven

Great assist but look at the time he's afforded on the ball to pick a pass, even I'd look decent with that amount of space. He'll 100% won't be afforded the space and time on the ball vs Leicester if he plays this weekend.
What an utterly worthless comment.

"even I'd look with that amount of space" :rolleyes:

Levenstein

Great assist but look at the time he's afforded on the ball to pick a pass, even I'd look decent with that amount of space. He'll 100% won't be afforded the space and time on the ball vs Leicester if he plays this weekend.
So when you gonna start for Manchester United or Brazil? I’m gonna put popcorn ready and laugh myself through the couch.

On more serious note, do Fred plays higher position in Brazil? They play 4-3-3 right? And he is not the deepest player in the midfield?

Offsideagain

93% passing accuracy in the Uruguay game, like Pogba lights up the pitch for France. Is it something in the water in Prestbury that makes them play like kids at OT?

HailtotheKing

Looks like he had a great game. Love to see a similar example of McTominay doing that. Fred is not the problem. McFred is. Also, maybe Brazil are better trained, so he knows where the other players are going to be. Fred has always been pretty good at getting the ball and playing it short and quick but there were a number of great long passes there too. I way prefer Fred to McTominay and think he can do a job for us. But every so often Scott breaks in on goal and either scores or misses and everyone goes wow. Whereas Fred can play a great game then make one mistake and everyone is on his back. Not that he’s had a good start to the season of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.