Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
If he has really been our best midfielder over the last 4 years as some claim (and it might actually be true) it is testament to the sad state of affairs that is our midfield.
I'm not sure if I'd say he's been our best over the last four years since his first season was so bad, but I'd agree that he has been over the last three seasons. And yes, while I do think he's been better than many seem to claim, the fact that I think he's been the best is a sad indication on the others. It's actually interesting to look at his time with us and I feel it can be broken up into three obvious periods.

For the first 12 months after joining us he was absolutely terrible. Although towards the end of his first season there were a few signs that he was starting to find his feet.

Then for the next 18 months he was easily our most consistent midfielder, and arguably our most consistent player in any position. He wasn't great and Pogba and arguably Matic had periods where they were better, but he was a consistent good level where he was also very important at speeding things up and forcing things to happen.

Over the next 14 months (which brings us to now) his consistency has dropped off and he's been fairly up and down, but unfortunately he's still probably been our best during that period as the other midfielders have been even worse. There have been signs over the last couple of months (coinciding with Rangnick pushing him further forward) that he's stepping back up again and possibly hitting a higher peak than he has before, so hopefully he can regain that consistency that he had a couple of seasons ago.

Litch

I'm not sure if I'd say he's been our best over the last four years since his first season was so bad, but I'd agree that he has been over the last three seasons. And yes, while I do think he's been better than many seem to claim, the fact that I think he's been the best is a sad indication on the others. It's actually interesting to look at his time with us and I feel it can be broken up into three obvious periods.

For the first 12 months after joining us he was absolutely terrible. Although towards the end of his first season there were a few signs that he was starting to find his feet.

Then for the next 18 months he was easily our most consistent midfielder, and arguably our most consistent player in any position. He wasn't great and Pogba and arguably Matic had periods where they were better, but he was a consistent good level where he was also very important at speeding things up and forcing things to happen.

Over the next 14 months (which brings us to now) his consistency has dropped off and he's been fairly up and down, but unfortunately he's still probably been our best during that period as the other midfielders have been even worse. There have been signs over the last couple of months (coinciding with Rangnick pushing him further forward) that he's stepping back up again and possibly hitting a higher peak than he has before, so hopefully he can regain that consistency that he had a couple of seasons ago.
….I tend to not look at performances in a vacuum and whether it’s Fred or any other player, not many even the GOAT can be consistent when everything about the club isn’t. It’s even hard to be consistent as a fan. For me Fred was always suppose to be the support act, never the lead but sadly was pushed into the role cause the so called superstars kept forgetting their lines. Yet we want to give Pogs 400k a week and sack Fred.

Oranges038

He hasn't been mediocre for 4 years. That's the problem, the premise is already incorrect in my opinion so it's not as if this is a bolt out of the blue or some hysterical reaction.

He's been our best midfielder over those 4 years. He's had many good performances. He's had some crap form too, there's no arguing that but overall he's been our most consistent midfielder. Despite being asked to partner players like Pogba, Matic and McTominay who no other top club would rely upon for reasons of quality or unsuitability to play the roles asked of them.
The whole midfield has been mediocre for years. In the last 4 it's been worse, having him and McT offer next to nothing on the ball and very little protection to the defence off it.

He's probably been the best and most consistent midfielder of the last 4 years as you say. But, that's more of an indictment as to how poor the quality of that midfield actually is rather than Fred being really good.

He's really not any better than Tom Cleverly and neither is McTominay for that matter.

Raven

The whole midfield has been mediocre for years. In the last 4 it's been worse, having him and McT offer next to nothing on the ball and very little protection to the defence off it.

He's probably been the best and most consistent midfielder of the last 4 years as you say. But, that's more of an indictment as to how poor the quality of that midfield actually is rather than Fred being really good.

He's really not any better than Tom Cleverly and neither is McTominay for that matter.
He's miles better than Tom Cleverley, you sound so clueless.

Oranges038

Exactly what part of his midifeld game is better than Cleverley?

Running?
Passing?
Positioning?
Tackling?
Attacking?
Defending?

Actually, I just did a comparison on the two in the PL site. Just take all Fred's PL stats and multiply by 2.5 and he just about comes to the same standard as Cleverley. Bearing in mind that Cleverley has spent the bulk of his PL career away from Utd, it's really not a good look for Fred.

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/player-comparison

Last edited:

Lecland07

Best player today. Looked like he tired in the second half. Not really surprising since he has carried the midfield's attacking intent in the last two games.

Oranges038

Him and McT as a pair aren't good enough. Either of then as partner for anyone else just won't be good enough either.

Litch

Fred at the moment is the least of our problems. Hes not the answer but christ where does that leave the players that are suppose to be....

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Channelled his inner-Redondo on almost the exact same blade of grass.

Bobade

Really like Fred. Excellent first half. Did fade in the second but by far one of the better players on the pitch. For me, he has more in his locker than McT for sure.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
First half Fred was good Fred.

Second half Fred was bad Fred

This is the Fred

To be fair, he wasn't bad, just not as good... But that doesn't fit with the Good Fred Bad Fred gimmick.

Last edited:

Son

100 percent. Cleverly was absolute trash. I actually quite like Fred. He has talent if used correctly like recently.

The Purley King

Fred clearly motm today
Seems like he finally remembered he is Brazilian!!!
Didn’t deserve being hooked was our best player without a doubt

Best player on the pitch for the second game in a row really, just Ronaldo didn't score 3 goals this time. Play him in his natural position and watch him shine.

CloneMC16

Our pastor was showing off his inner Ronaldinho in the first half. Some great skill from him. Faded in the second. Would have preferred him to stay on, but we were going for the win. He was always going to get subbed.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's been brilliant as a #8 under Ralf. Honestly a midfield 3 of Bruno, Fred and some actual defensive midfielder with passing range can be class. The guy looked every bit a 50m player today. Shame about the result because he didn't deserve to go down.

gajender

He's been brilliant as a #8 under Ralf. Honestly a midfield 3 of Bruno, Fred and some actual defensive midfielder with passing range can be class. The guy looked every bit a 50m player today. Shame about the result because he didn't deserve to go down.
No it won't not even close , Bruno and Fred have no business being regular starters for any Club with serious ambition to compete at the very top level sooner United realise that quicker they can act upon it .

Last edited:

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
No it won't not even close , Bruno and Fred have no business being regular starters for any Club with serious ambition to compete at the very top level sooner United realise that quicker they can act upon it .
Statistically at least Bruno and Fred stack up with regular starters in other big teams. It’s the likes of Pogba Rashford Shaw Maguire and the underperforming Ronadlo that aren’t showing up in far too many games this season and beyond. We gave the keys of the club to some modern version of the spice boys and left them off. That’s what’s really wrong here. Fred and Bruno are probably our two most hard working and consistent outfield players over the last few seasons. That’s the main problem. They are only two players.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
That's your opinion. They are class players in their own rights and have loads of qualities that many top managers would love. You need to have a balanced team all around though, not just a few top players and filled around them.

We have no DM behind them. No RW. A 37 year old striker. Mediocre fullbacks. No depth. An ever changing coaching situation. Its important to note which parts of your team have qualities for future teams we build. Fred and Bruno are easily in that group.

gajender

Statistically at least Bruno and Fred stack up with regular starters in other big teams. It’s the likes of Pogba Rashford Shaw Maguire and the underperforming Ronadlo that aren’t showing up in far too many games this season and beyond. We gave the keys of the club to some modern version of the spice boys and left them off. That’s what’s really wrong here. Fred and Bruno are probably our two most hard working and consistent outfield players over the last few seasons. That’s the main problem. They are only two players.
They both are big money buys as well nothing different to Shaw , Maguire who bring their own set of problems . Pogba and Ronaldo have been big disappointments as well waste of money but they have shown they can actually be part of winning teams and actually contribute individually under competent management what is Claim to fame for Bruno and Fred that when they are major players for the Club they get embarrassed in the CL and at best scrap for top 4 .
About the bolded part care to back it with some stats .

gajender

That's your opinion. They are class players in their own rights and have loads of qualities that many top managers would love. You need to have a balanced team all around though, not just a few top players and filled around them.

We have no DM behind them. No RW. A 37 year old striker. Mediocre fullbacks. No depth. An ever changing coaching situation. Its important to note which parts of your team have qualities for future teams we build. Fred and Bruno are easily in that group.
Of course it's my opinion and I am of firm belief both of them lack too much in fundamentals to perform consistently in the position which is critical to how the whole team operates when your midfield is constantly giving the ball away and can't control the game it just makes the other issues of the team look even worse than they are .

bugmat

Rubbish. Cleverly played with much better players and I don't think scored or assisted more than a handful of goals for us over several years.

Just checked and he scored 3 goals in 7 years - Fred has scored 6 so far in 3+.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
They both are big money buys as well nothing different to Shaw , Maguire who bring their own set of problems . Pogba and Ronaldo have been big disappointments as well waste of money but they have shown they can actually be part of winning teams and actually contribute individually under competent management what is Claim to fame for Bruno and Fred that when they are major players for the Club they get embarrassed in the CL and at best scrap for top 4 .
About the bolded part care to back it with some stats .
Bruno’s stats are well known and speak for themselves. his importance and influence to us is pretty clear even if he isn’t having his run of form currently. Last season when we were chatting about this on here Fred statistically stood up favourably to others playing a box to box role at similar sized clubs and he has improved this season. He’s our best box to box midfielder by some distance for better or worse. I’m certain It’s the others lack of work rate and cohesion that really set us back. Look at our forwards and at someone like Pogba. We are paying them all well over a million a week. What did we create in that second half? Where was their work rate and desire? It’s non existent in too many important moments.

Jackal981

Best player today for us. Not saying much though with this lot but his first half was electric. He is one of the few that I would like to be kept for the next manager.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Some superb stuff at times last night.
A Redondo esque bit of skill on the byline to get past his man with absolutely no right too.

Sometimes you realise we've misused him for long spells, and tonight was one of those.

Still doesn't really have the creativity, goal threat or flair you probably need to play further forward though, but has energy stamina and zip up there with anyone.

GlasgowCeltic

Amazing first half, was a point really early in the second half he gave a ball away and it just felt like you knew the team were already mentally finished

Status
Not open for further replies.