5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

1 ball loss to being pressed in his own half and a poor touch leading to an opponent breaking and 1 ball loss with a poor choice of pass in his own half. Other than that he was okay. Normal Fred performance as the deep midfielder showing why he's a liability there

Olecurls99

It’s that definition of insanity again.
Keep doing something that will always fail.
As in team selection.

Fred is not a DM or a holding player.
Never was and never will be.
It has always been clear as day that his small stature and physique, count against him in that role.
All he has is tenacity and a good engine.
But, Ole kept playing him there and ETH is doing the same.
He was used as one man CM holding player today and was getting beaten and swamped at times.

As we saw last season, when he was put in his natural, box to box, attacking role, he can be very effective , driving forward play, even providing assists and the odd goal himself
Give Fred his due.
He works his socks off and never gives up trying, whatever the manager asks of him.
Let’s get a proper CDM in and use Fred where he’s best suited.
I agree he's not a 6. I reckon ETH was trying him out to see for himself and won't play him there in the real games.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Fred reminds me a little bit of Silvestre. In that, there are decent periods where he absolutely looks the part, makes some great contributions and looks an actual 'United' player. But. In every 90 minutes there would be 1 or 2 moments when they do something that could entirely endanger the result.

Fred was good for about 58 of the 60 odd minutes he played yesterday. But in those 2 minutes, he should have gifted Villa two goals. Hopefully ETH can stop him being so...Fred, but that seems rather optimistic!

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I agree he's not a 6. I reckon ETH was trying him out to see for himself and won't play him there in the real games.
I think it's more that Fred is the most capable of actually playing that role out of our first team midfielders, rather than ETH actually trialling him there. Maybe there was a bit of that as well, but if ETH wants the team to set up with our deeper midfielder providing the distribution then playing Fred there is obviously a lot closer to providing that than McTominay or VDB will.

My hope is that ETH realises that while he can play that position (indeed he has for almost the entire time he's been at this club), he's better further forward. So once we do bring in our first choice for that role (FDJ?), Fred will then be unleashed into that more box-to-box role, rather than remaining back-up in the deeper role.

Olecurls99

I think it's more that Fred is the most capable of actually playing that role out of our first team midfielders, rather than ETH actually trialling him there. Maybe there was a bit of that as well, but if ETH wants the team to set up with our deeper midfielder providing the distribution then playing Fred there is obviously a lot closer to providing that than McTominay or VDB will.

My hope is that ETH realises that while he can play that position (indeed he has for almost the entire time he's been at this club), he's better further forward. So once we do bring in our first choice for that role (FDJ?), Fred will then be unleashed into that more box-to-box role, rather than remaining back-up in the deeper role.
I actually see that as the best place to use Donny. I could see him growing into that position if Frenkie didn't come.

The worrying thing is that despite signing Eriksen I think we'll start with the same midfield 3 against Brighton that has shown itself not to be good enough.

McFred and Bruno.

Last edited:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I don't like Fred as a DM. He's way better than Donny or Sauce in their position.

Trex

I don't like Fred as a DM. He's way better than Donny or Sauce in their position.
That position belongs to Eriksen......Fred is finally playing the role Pep wanted to sign him for.
If De jong comes Fred will be 2nd choice in that role which is a good thing given De jong wouldn't always be available.
If De Jong doesn't come oh well Fred would play that role to the best of his ability.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
As blatant a red as you'll get.

Other than that, has had a good pre-season.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Mentally lost this match, despite physically being everywhere on the pitch.

Thankfully it's just pre-season.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
MUTV commentator saying he could miss the Brighton game? What the feck Im quite sure pre season doesn't impact the PL?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Was very good today, but you really don't want him at the base of midfield 3 in EPL.
He needs a DM behind him badly, and he'll be even better.

CloneMC16

He was balling, but that was a terrible challenge. Never seen Fred do anything like that before. Hopefully we get less of that type of challenge and more of the rest!

Last edited:

Mcking

He was very good when McTominay was on. Ten Hag left him with way too much to do when McTominay was replaced.

GMoore23

Big fan of Fred's and we could do with a few more players with his workrate and determination that's for sure. He'd be a beast with something like a prime Matic playing behind him.

Red_toad

Awful tackle, lucky it was only preseason
He rose to the levels of his opponents. Some terrible tackles going on in that first half in a preseason friendly. Don't think Fred intended to land on his chest and there was very limited contact.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
He rose to the levels of his opponents. Some terrible tackles going on in that first half in a preseason friendly. Don't think Fred intended to land on his chest and there was very limited contact.

Take off the rose-tinted specs and watch the above video :p

He absolutely intended to land on Morata's chest.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Love him. Such an underrated player and will be key for us this season in midfield. Clear red, but I didn't mind him giving them a stamp at the end of a friendly. feckers deserved it after how dirty they were all game!

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I mean, watching that video again, you could indeed make an argument that he was indeed going for his balls.

Not cool Frederick, we guys have to stick together in these tough times. We never go for the balls.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Love him. Such an underrated player and will be key for us this season in midfield. Clear red, but I didn't mind him giving them a stamp at the end of a friendly. feckers deserved it after how dirty they were all game!
He was MotM for me with or without that odd moment at the end of the game, which we'll just put down to a moment of madness. This is fine :cool:

Ekeke

One of the better players overall, but then ruined with his moments of madness getting sent off in a friendly. First on a booking he hacks at the man from behind which is an obvious yellow. Then he stands his studs on his leg on the floor. Lost his head completely

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Our players need to be more aggressive and show more fight. I will in no way disparage him. They were shithousing us all game.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Our players need to be more aggressive and show more fight. I will in no way disparage him. They were shithousing us all game.
I thought we did well to give it back to them today tbh. Was a feisty game and I didn't feel like we got kicked around or that it affected us, we gave it back to them and got stuck in there and still controlled proceedings.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I thought we did well to give it back to them today tbh. Was a feisty game and I didn't feel like we got kicked around or that it affected us, we gave it back to them and got stuck in there and still controlled proceedings.
Agree. If we're going to be a good team we need a bit of nastiness.

Lost bear

Mentally lost this match, despite physically being everywhere on the pitch.

Thankfully it's just pre-season.
I think many of us would have become a bit exasperated by the way the referee invited Athleti to be total shits. Fred has been excellent so far this pre-season, give the guy a little room...

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Hes been pretty good for us of late and has done well in pre season

Status
Not open for further replies.