5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirScholes

I'd definitely go for Goretzka or someone like him.
I think replacing Eriksen with Fred we have less passing ability BUT more turnovers and openings from midfield. Eriksen is fantastic on the ball but we have so many good players around midfield that I think we can live with Fred.
ETH doesn't seem to fancy him though.
Apart from Cas, who?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Apart from Cas, who?
Shaw, Martinez, Varane, Casemiro and Bruno are all good/very good passers of the ball. I think Fred's passing ability will not be a problem that much as it was previous years. It's a different team. Our weakness is something Fred could help to fix imo.

SirScholes

Shaw, Martinez, Varane, Casemiro and Bruno are all good/very good passers of the ball. I think Fred's passing ability will not be a problem that much as it was previous years. It's a different team. Our weakness is something Fred could help to fix imo.
Apart from Cas
Bruno has a very high turnover rate, the others are defenders. Who in midfield

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Apart from Cas
Bruno has a very high turnover rate, the others are defenders. Who in midfield
I don't get you. We play 2 man midfield and have 3 very good passers behind in defence plus Bruno in AM. Fred passing ability which is level or two below Eriksen is not THAT much of an issue considering who surrounds him.

SirScholes

I don't get you. We play 2 man midfield and have 3 very good passers behind in defence plus Bruno in AM. Fred passing ability which is level or two below Eriksen is not THAT much of an issue considering who surrounds him.
You said the players we have in midfield ?
We need a ball playing midfielder, you can’t ask Cas to be destroyer and the passer, you can’t ask Bruno to be around the box (getting goals like today) and dropping deep to create play. There has to be a link between the defence and the attack. teams would just mark Bruno like they did last year.

He should be kept, but used as squad rotation, and reminded he’s not right footed and be banned from using it to shoot outside the box

Valencia Shin Crosses

We need a ball playing midfielder, you can’t ask Cas to be destroyer and the passer, you can’t ask Bruno to be around the box (getting goals like today) and dropping deep to create play. There has to be a link between the defence and the attack. teams would just mark Bruno like they did last year.

He should be kept, but used as squad rotation, and reminded he’s not right footed and be banned from using it to shoot outside the box
I think it’s more important to get an actual carrier/dribbler in midfield than just someone that can pick a pass. It’s the main weakness of our midfield, we don’t have a single carrier at any position in the midfield that can drive forward and handle the ball under pressure.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Saying this and I agree with you I’m very surprised he didn’t play vs Arsenal. ETH doesn’t seem to rate him. I would have played him vs Arse. Our midfield had no grit whatsoever. If he’s not going to use him in that kind of situation he’s just going to be a fringe player from now on. I think that’s a pity because he’s pretty much twice the player McT is.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

No, I said "around" and that is exactly what we have. I also listed all those players.
teams would just mark Bruno like they did last year.
That's the thing, this team is nothing like last season. Not only new players, but also the likes of Rashford and Bruno improved significantly. Fred on the ball ability (which is not that bad. but obviously not Erikson level) will not be that much of an issue.

I love Eriksen, he's been great for us, but the team would look more solid with Fred in midfield - especially if we're up against physical teams like Arsenal, or even Crystal Palace. I think Fred has not been playing enough and Eriksen has been playing too much, he doesn't look good now and his deficiencies are getting very exposed.
Saying this and I agree with you I’m very surprised he didn’t play vs Arsenal. ETH doesn’t seem to rate him. I would have played him vs Arse. Our midfield had no grit whatsoever. If he’s not going to use him in that kind of situation he’s just going to be a fringe player from now on. I think that’s a pity because he’s pretty much twice the player McT is.
I agree, ETH doesn't seem to like him but I think he needs to figure out how to approach those games in which we're being overrun in midfield. Going for Arsenal with Eriksen in midfield was clearly a mistake, because he wasn't able to be influential on the ball anyway AND we got outrun in midfield - this last part could've been avoided if we went for Fred. I still think we lose that game to be fair.

The Substitute

I love Eriksen, he's been great for us, but the team would look more solid with Fred in midfield - especially if we're up against physical teams like Arsenal, or even Crystal Palace. I think Fred has not been playing enough and Eriksen has been playing too much, he doesn't look good now and his deficiencies are getting very exposed.
This! I also struggle to understand what seems like a bias, in games we clearly dont "own", we look miles better with Fred than Eriksen

Kingofwinners

I’m with ETH Fred is at best limited- he did nothing against Arsenal to suggest he should have started. He’s a good guy lots of energy, erratic passer, terrible shot, not disciplined in a possession game. Very useful when you need to chase possession or break up a better team if you are sitting deep. But if we are still giving him lots of game time next year it’s a sign we are not making progress.

Raven

I’m with ETH Fred is at best limited- he did nothing against Arsenal to suggest he should have started. He’s a good guy lots of energy, erratic passer, terrible shot, not disciplined in a possession game. Very useful when you need to chase possession or break up a better team if you are sitting deep. But if we are still giving him lots of game time next year it’s a sign we are not making progress.
I must have missed ETH calling him "at best limited".

SirScholes

I think it’s more important to get an actual carrier/dribbler in midfield than just someone that can pick a pass. It’s the main weakness of our midfield, we don’t have a single carrier at any position in the midfield that can drive forward and handle the ball under pressure.
Fred isn’t that man either

SirScholes

No, I said "around" and that is exactly what we have. I also listed all those players.

That's the thing, this team is nothing like last season. Not only new players, but also the likes of Rashford and Bruno improved significantly. Fred on the ball ability (which is not that bad. but obviously not Erikson level) will not be that much of an issue.

I agree, ETH doesn't seem to like him but I think he needs to figure out how to approach those games in which we're being overrun in midfield. Going for Arsenal with Eriksen in midfield was clearly a mistake, because he wasn't able to be influential on the ball anyway AND we got outrun in midfield - this last part could've been avoided if we went for Fred. I still think we lose that game to be fair.
We don’t control the midfield with Fred in the team

this is mental, we finally have a top midfield of Eriksen Cas and Bruno and you’re wanting to down grade
I understand upgrading Eriksen or Bruno (even though for me they’re class) but to downgrade is mental
Real Madrid had kroos modric cas, which one you dropping for Fred because non of those are known for carrying the ball?

Lost bear

Easily. (Twice the player).

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
ETH probably played McT for his physicality against Partey rather than Fred who doesn't have that

Borys

Statistics Wizard
We don’t control the midfield with Fred in the team

this is mental, we finally have a top midfield of Eriksen Cas and Bruno and you’re wanting to down grade
I understand upgrading Eriksen or Bruno (even though for me they’re class) but to downgrade is mental
Real Madrid had kroos modric cas, which one you dropping for Fred because non of those are known for carrying the ball?
We don't always control midfield with Eriksen either, I'm suggesting he isn't always the answer. With Fred you lose some passing ability but gain something different.

The comment on Madrid midfield is absurd for obvious reasons.
I think Fred is a decent midfielder and sometimes he's a better option than Eriksen, be that from the start or early in the second half.

Clearly ETH disagrees as he keeps Eriksen in the team even when he's completely gassed, and every 4 days. Let's see how he does against Barca.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He’s had some excellent performances in the last few months. For me personally he’s gone from someone I’d have definitely got rid of to someone I’d happily keep.

SirScholes

We don't always control midfield with Eriksen either, I'm suggesting he isn't always the answer. With Fred you lose some passing ability but gain something different.

The comment on Madrid midfield is absurd for obvious reasons.
I think Fred is a decent midfielder and sometimes he's a better option than Eriksen, be that from the start or early in the second half.

Clearly ETH disagrees as he keeps Eriksen in the team even when he's completely gassed, and every 4 days. Let's see how he does against Barca.
It’s not absurd, he brings to the team energy yes, but no control, we lose a string in our attack without Eriksen, we instantly lose the ability to keep the ball
Fred is a great squad player, seems a popular figure in the dressing room, we need him as a sub and small cup games, home games against poor teams, but if we are to be a top team he has no place in a serious starting 11

zaafi

It’s not absurd, he brings to the team energy yes, but no control, we lose a string in our attack without Eriksen, we instantly lose the ability to keep the ball
Fred is a great squad player, seems a popular figure in the dressing room, we need him as a sub and small cup games, home games against poor teams, but if we are to be a top team he has no place in a serious starting 11
It's funny you mention that he should be used against poor teams at Old Trafford, but it's in big games he shines and those are the games he is needed, not against Leeds at home.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
If we are to be a top team we need to use our resources wisely. I don't think playing Eriksen almost every game is the way to go, I'd rather he got some rest, especially since he's definitely looking a bit tired recently at the one hour mark.

Only De Gea and Bruno played more minutes for us than Eriksen, he also started 26 out of 30 games this season. Fred played less than a half of his minutes, starting 1/3 in all competitions and only 5 games in EPL (compared to Eriksen 18 starts).

I think we're playing Eriksen way too much, and I think Fred has been doing a decent job for us when called in, so I'm suggesting balancing their game time a bit more. Nobody will argue Eriksen is not a better player than Fred, but there's more angles that should be considered when selecting squad for next game.

SirScholes

If we are to be a top team we need to use our resources wisely. I don't think playing Eriksen almost every game is the way to go, I'd rather he got some rest, especially since he's definitely looking a bit tired recently at the one hour mark.

Only De Gea and Bruno played more minutes for us than Eriksen, he also started 26 out of 30 games this season. Fred played less than a half of his minutes, starting 1/3 in all competitions and only 5 games in EPL (compared to Eriksen 18 starts).

I think we're playing Eriksen way too much, and I think Fred has been doing a decent job for us when called in, so I'm suggesting balancing their game time a bit more. Nobody will argue Eriksen is not a better player than Fred, but there's more angles that should be considered when selecting squad for next game.
Not disagreeing with this, but the statement that started this suggested Fred replaced Eriksen

SirScholes

It's funny you mention that he should be used against poor teams at Old Trafford, but it's in big games he shines and those are the games he is needed, not against Leeds at home.
Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn’t
Maybe when we were shite and needed to scrap to get a point in those games
But I’m looking a head to teams fearing us and our ability to control games, rather than the other way round

Telsim

What a cameo! Brilliant goal! I kinda want to see more of him in this current United.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Lovely goal. Been one of my favourites since he joined United, more for his enthusiasm and hard work and while he’s not a world beater, he’s in great form right now, getting back heels in too :lol:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Fred is one of the players I have the least faith in. Yet, sometimes, he does stuff that stuns me. That finish! :eek:

Djemba-Djemba

It's funny that at the beginning of the season Fred was in poor form and it felt like Mctominay was doing ok and had overtaken him in the pecking order and now it's the complete opposite.

Fred has actually been good, especially post World Cup where as Mctominay has been awful.

He's been especially good coming on as a sub to inject some energy.

The Purley King

Occasionally, like tonight , he can look genuinely outstanding.
Not many central midfielders can cruyff a goal like that.
He seems like a great guy and I think we should keep him around as an option off the bench or in the tougher way games.
Im supposed not to mention haircuts but how does he comb his locks going forward ? Never seen that before!!

Status
Not open for further replies.