5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oranges038

Fred's game time has suffered from the absence of Casemiro. For the balance of the team, Fred is more likely to be picked when Casemiro starts.
Nope.

He started 9 games up to January before Eriksen was injured, 9 out of 27. Since then, because of injuries and suspension to Eriksen and Casemiro he's started 11 out of 17.

So, it's not really a surprise that once they were back, he's on the bench again.

He's been here 5 seasons and the fact there's still question marks over whether he's good enough says all you need to know. A handful of good games each season isn't enough. Like the poster above said if he played for another club putting in the performances he does, no-one would be clamouring for us to sign him.

I'd rather move him on and replace him with a squad option who is good on the ball in tight spaces and can progress the ball under press.
5 years... and still people think he's got something to offer.

Genuinely don't see it.

Malkovich

Nope.

He started 9 games up to January before Eriksen was injured, 9 out of 27. Since then, because of injuries and suspension to Eriksen and Casemiro he's started 11 out of 17.

So, it's not really a surprise that once they were back, he's on the bench again.

5 years... and still people think he's got something to offer.

Genuinely don't see it.
You are only in the Europa League because of Fred, so yes he has contributions, quite plenty of them in this season alone.

Dve

Nope.

In Fred's 5 last starts, Casemiro also started, while he's hardly been on the pitch during Casemiro's suspension. So probably yes. He would have been more involved lately if Casemiro had been available.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He's been here 5 seasons and the fact there's still question marks over whether he's good enough says all you need to know. A handful of good games each season isn't enough. Like the poster above said if he played for another club putting in the performances he does, no-one would be clamouring for us to sign him.
He's spent most of that time being played out of position. Since Rangnick and later ETH took over and started playing him in his proper position his form has obviously been better and more consistent, so that's what he should really be rated on. He was our best player in the second half of last season and, other than a poor start, he's been quite good this season as well. Both starting games and coming off the bench.

Obviously Eriksen should be preferred in most matches, but Fred is the better option in some. He's dropped out of the team more recently because ETH felt he needed Bruno's playmaking ability in a deeper role next to Scott, but now that Casemiro is back I do think Fred will go back to being the main rotation option with Eriksen. Although I will say that Bruno has done well enough in that deeper role that ETH may prefer that combo, along with Sabitzer looking better at #10. Will be interesting to see which way ETH goes for the rest of the season.

Hell, even while he was being played out of position he was the best of a bad set of midfield options. Obviously that says more about how bad Pogba, Matic and Scott were though.

Alemar

Since Casemiro and Bruno are both automatic starters, Fred competes with Eriksen, Sabitzer and McTominay for the remaining spot. Surely it’s difficult.

Oranges038

In Fred's 5 last starts, Casemiro also started, while he's hardly been on the pitch during Casemiro's suspension. So probably yes. He would have been more involved lately if Casemiro had been available.
Would he?

ETH clearly doesn't see it that way. As soon as he got Eriksen and Casemiro in there, Fred barely got a look in.

He's made 2 less PL appearances than last season already and has played half the amount of minutes. Does that not tell you how much the manager values his contribution?

Kingofwinners

He badly lacks consistency particularly in passing, tracking runners and 50:50 challenges. If we want to be a serious contender for titles the backup squad players need to be reasonably reliable when they come in. Fred doesn’t give this. I believe we extended his contract until the end of next year. Hopefully we can get rid of him this summer though.

Nottingham Forest 0:2 Man Utd

Dve

I thought he may have started a few more games, but Sabitzer seems to be preferred currently.
Depends also on the opponent. At home when we expect to dominate the possession, Fred does not start, but he could be involved in Sevilla. We'll see.

Sylar

Depends also on the opponent. At home when we expect to dominate the possession, Fred does not start, but he could be involved in Sevilla. We'll see.
Do think he should have come on in the home game. Today he came on, and first thing he did was get the ball back for us. It was something we missed in that second half. I expect him to be a sub in Sevilla, unless Sabitzer isnt fit enough to start.

L1nk

So the team news has leaked and Fred isn't starting again. I have to be honest i'm slightly confused, it seemed for a long time ETH loved having Fred in the team and these days he can't even get a sniff. I personally think Sabitzer is a better player but does anyone else find it odd how much he's become somewhat of an afterthought as of late? Even McTominay has been getting more games.

Sylar

He came on too late. Should have come on at half time. At least we would have energy when it's sorely lacking.

Idxomer

So the team news has leaked and Fred isn't starting again. I have to be honest i'm slightly confused, it seemed for a long time ETH loved having Fred in the team and these days he can't even get a sniff. I personally think Sabitzer is a better player but does anyone else find it odd how much he's become somewhat of an afterthought as of late? Even McTominay has been getting more games.
I have no other explanation other than him taking a lot of the blame after the Liverpool game. He hasn't played much since then and I think he's easily a better player than Sabitzer.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Need The Athletic to explain what the feck has happened here. Been a lot of Fredless Fred games recently and I do not get it.

Dominos

He's gone right out of favour hasn't he.

ETH doesn't seem to fancy Fred, Mctominay or VDB and who can blame him, but it's very difficult to see them all being moved on in one summer as it means 3 CM's need to come in which isn't happening.

Our midfield needs a complete re-shake though.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Is Fred dead?? What the hell is happening here. He has such a great mentality and work-rate. Something feels off without him in the lineup, we look slow af in the midfeld.

adamwest

Really weird one with Fred the last couple of weeks (longer even?). He should 100% started last night then bring Sabitzer on as his replacement - not t'other way round. Why has he fallen so sharply out of favour after looking pretty good most of the season under ETH?

wangyu

Fred like Maguire or De Gea is always liable for a silly mistake this is why he doesn’t play much. He can’t play both Casemiro and Fred because like Fred Casemiro’s passing is erratic. Don’t get me wrong Case has been brilliant for us most of this season but he isn’t reliable as a passer.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Looking at the data it says that he came on after the hour mark so I guess I have to believe that he played.

Bobski

Don't understand why he has been out of favour with how his form was.

Abraxas

Worked his balls off when he came on. It was very much needed as the lack of energy in our team was a huge problem. Brighton seemed to have a little extra energy which isn't too surprising, but he did something to address the balance.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I wonder why he was completely forgotten over the month now. Sabitzer and McT shouldn't play before him.

Phil

We really do need his energy and closing down. Wish he was a bit better on the ball though.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Brighton found it a lot harder to play through the middle. I don’t know why he’s played such sporadic minutes when our midfield has been so porous recently

criticalanalysis

From last week:

I said it twice during the match day thread that he should have come on.

It's really really weird. There's been multiple times in his Utd career, where he's played shite then came back and been one of our best players, then margalised out from the squad for some reason, only to come back again and retake his place.

I think it's about to happen again.
We'll need him.

meamth

Pretty sure if he started against Sevilla we would've won that game. Minus Maguire of course.

Delivered today when called upon, he really is a big game player.

Status
Not open for further replies.