5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

grahamo

Can't believe there are some posters making excuses for him, He is absolutely nowhere near Man United level. His first touch is woeful, His awareness doesn't exist. His positioning is awful. He still does interviews in portuguese which for Me shows he isn't the brightest. Get rid!

The White Pele

The reality is with Fred is that although he was one of our better performers last season (not saying a lot), I see him as a casualty in the way Ten Hag wants to play. He’s just not good enough to play in that single pivot and although he has qualities further forward with his pressing I think Ten Hag will favour someone more technically sound like Eriksen in those roles. He can still be of use as a rotation option.

bugmat

The reality is with Fred is that although he was one of our better performers last season (not saying a lot), I see him as a casualty in the way Ten Hag wants to play. He’s just not good enough to play in that single pivot and although he has qualities further forward with his pressing I think Ten Hag will favour someone more technically sound like Eriksen in those roles. He can still be of use as a rotation option.
I think you are right. We have no one good at that technical DM slot, at least not in the current team so are tryin for FdJ, bringing in Rabiot. Fred will be better higher up as he was last year but will have to compete and defer to the likes of Eriksen & Bruno (who has been crap but will still get played because new contract etc).

bugmat

Yeah good thinking. There are quite a few difficult decisions to make in the next year or two. On top of the challenges that are apparent right now. Fred is on 120k per week. I'd say that is alright. I know he isn't very popular around the fans, I get it but as long as we haven't been able to create a working midfield without him, it wouldn't be the best idea to get rid of him. I have some hope, that ETH will create some sort of team structure, that makes better use of Fred. But I wouldn't try to keep him at all cost. It has to be reasonable, I think, his attitude is right, maybe one of the better ones around these days.
I think he gets sold next summer and that's fine. he is almost 30. but we need to bring in better first.

bugmat

I said in another post afterwards "to be fair he wasn't the No.6 today"

Haven't a clue what you mean by point scoring.

My point was that its crazy to bomb past Ronaldo in that situation. Doesn't matter if he was a 6 or an 8 same applies.
How is it crazy? His role is to be higher up and Eriksen was supposed to be deep. Ronaldo is supposed to flick/kick that ball on and when he does player sneed to be higher to try to retain it. he was not supposed to chest trap and try to control & dribble with it - that was the only crazy thing there. Poor decisions similar ot ddG passingto Eriksen in our box with a man on him. Despite all that ddG should have saved that pea roller. This all started in our half by Ronaldo dropping deep for a throw (which should've been thrown forward anyway not into our own half) and not doing what he should have with the ball.

Marwood

How is it crazy? His role is to be higher up and Eriksen was supposed to be deep. Ronaldo is supposed to flick/kick that ball on and when he does player sneed to be higher to try to retain it. he was not supposed to chest trap and try to control & dribble with it - that was the only crazy thing there. Poor decisions similar ot ddG passingto Eriksen in our box with a man on him. Despite all that ddG should have saved that pea roller. This all started in our half by Ronaldo dropping deep for a throw (which should've been thrown forward anyway not into our own half) and not doing what he should have with the ball.
Because you don't start making runs beyond your striker deep in your own half just in the hope Ronaldo somehow flicks that on and it somehow makes its way to Fred.

That's the kind of stuff you do as a midfielder in the final third. Not your own defensive third. You have to play percentage football there.

We don’t have to be theoretical about this. Look what happened. It's a high risk move that was completely unnecessary and very unlikely to come off.

bugmat

Because you don't start making runs beyond your striker deep in your own half just in the hope Ronaldo somehow flicks that on and it somehow makes its way to Fred.

That's the kind of stuff you do as a midfielder in the final third. Not your own defensive third. You have to play percentage football there.

We don’t have to be theoretical about this. Look what happened. It's a high risk move that was completely unnecessary and very unlikely to come off.
Your striker is not suupposed to be trying to collect a throw in deep in our own half. That's happened - no theory necessary. That's the job of a defender or midfielder. And I'm sure Dalot threw it to him despite him being surrounded because he's his national captain. Two stupid mistakes.

lex talionis

It would be interesting to see us have the following on the squad and what we could ever accomplish with them:
  • Two regular starters for the Brazil NT (Casemiro isn't on the squad, but with all the rumors just saying...)
  • Two regular starters for the Portugal NT, one of whom is an undisputed no-GOAT, if not sole GOAT
  • One regular starter for the Dutch NT (Frenkie isn't on the squad, but with all the rumors just saying...)
  • Three former regular starters for the England NT (I assume Maguire, Shaw and Rashford have played themselves out of the job)
  • One regular starter for the defending WC holder, France

criticalanalysis

It would be interesting to see us have the following on the squad and what we could ever accomplish with them:
  • Two regular starters for the Brazil NT (Casemiro isn't on the squad, but with all the rumors just saying...)
  • Two regular starters for the Portugal NT, one of whom is an undisputed no-GOAT, if not sole GOAT
  • One regular starter for the Dutch NT (Frenkie isn't on the squad, but with all the rumors just saying...)
  • Three former regular starters for the England NT (I assume Maguire, Shaw and Rashford have played themselves out of the job)
  • One regular starter for the defending WC holder, France
Maguire has been arguably one of, if not the most consistent England player. Besides that, Southgate has his favourites, which he will keep playing; in Maguire's case, it's largely justified though.

Kostov

With the McT rumors hopefully true, what are the possibilities for a Fred out transfer? Is there any potential buyer, some rumor that anyone would want him? I mean his contract is up next year, I know there is an option to extend, but why would the club do that right? A quick search and I could not find any link for a buyer, what does the cafe think?

Remember the geese

With the McT rumors hopefully true, what are the possibilities for a Fred out transfer? Is there any potential buyer, some rumor that anyone would want him? I mean his contract is up next year, I know there is an option to extend, but why would the club do that right? A quick search and I could not find any link for a buyer, what does the cafe think?
Not a chance that Fred is sold. Sorry to disappoint you.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Well it should disappoint all Manchester United fans, but stranger things have happened. And we are also very stupidly run football club, so a contract exception with a pay rise is a possibility also
Why would we sell a player who has already established a solid working relationship with the world class DM we just signed? (15 games played, 13 wins, 11 clean sheets)

Now that would be stupid.

Kostov

Why would we sell a player who has already established a solid working relationship with the world class DM we just signed? (15 games played, 13 wins, 11 clean sheets)

Because he has been appalling for the best part of 4 seasons and we don't care how he performs against Venezuela and Peru?

Godfather

Bang on. I'm actually quite excited about the two of them.

AndySmith1990

Agreed.

If we should be selling anyone it's McTominay.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I thought Ten Hag would go with Bruno and Eriksen in midfield for the technique and creativity but instead he stuck Eriksen up top. Seems like he wants a runner in that other midfield role, pushing high and pressing aggressively. Not sure he’ll want to play they way all the time but there’s definitely a role for Fred there.

Jev

Fred's running and energy is useful higher up the pitch, we've seen plenty of examples of that. And while he's not a great passer, he's a pretty good carrier of the ball and can break through lines that way, probably better than Eriksen is capable of these days. I'm actually excited to see Fred in a system where he isn't exposed by McTominay's hiding and doesn't have to do the work of two/three midfielders.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
So the first two games of the season he got hooked at HT, and now dropped for the Liverpool game.

Is that enough yet for the Redcafe hivemind to reconsider here, and realise that actually he just isn’t very good at all?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
So the first two games of the season he got hooked at HT, and now dropped for the Liverpool game.

Is that enough yet for the Redcafe hivemind to reconsider here, and realise that actually he just isn’t very good at all?
He isn't very good, but so far he's been a victim of what Ten Hag wanted from him. Never ever a #6/DM/holding player.

We should forget the first two games and give him a fresh start in a position where he's actually quite decent.

Chairman Steve

Meh I don’t think Fred is good at No.6. Hes a box to box man but it’d be interesting to see how he is when Casemiro is sitting behind him.

McTominay getting a nod over him for that No.6 position isn’t really saying much.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
He isn't very good, but so far he's been a victim of what Ten Hag wanted from him. Never ever a #6/DM/holding player.

We should forget the first two games and give him a fresh start in a position where he's actually quite decent.
Same problem McTominay suffers from.

Fred is most effective as a high-energy box to box player, with a holding midfielder behind him (as is Scott). The problem I see however, is that Fred is simply too sloppy in possession and weak on the ball for ETH to rely on him there (or anywhere in midfield).

Litch

I think it was right to drop him and I hope whether he plays regularly or not, at least he should be in a position further forward where he can be fairly judged.

Conor

What will you do when he starts with Casemiro in the next game?

Conor

Be pleased that we will finally be moving towards something resembling a balanced midfield.
So you understand the difference between being bad and being played out of position, but you decided to post a 'told you so' anyway? Nice.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
So you understand the difference between being bad and being played out of position, but you decided to post a 'told you so' anyway? Nice.
A player can be both. And Fred is.

Man Utd 2:1 Liverpool

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Good sub from ETH to bring him on to provide legs and energy for the last 20. Did his job which was to run around a lot - something we all know Fred can do.

Sea-Cow

Good sub from ETH to bring him on to provide legs and energy for the last 20. Did his job which was to run around a lot - something we all know Fred can do.
Yeah I thought he did well. He was buzzing all over the place, but did well a few times to keep the ball.

Kostov

Have you actually seen what a "quite decent" B2B does?

And I think he had a good little cameo last night. It's probably his best role, as an impact sub when we need energy and running, but only after the scoring goals is done.

Last edited:

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Have you actually seen what a "quite decent" B2B does?

And I think he had a good little cameo last night. It's probably his best role, as an impact sub when we need energy and running, but only after the scoring goals is done.
I have no problem with Fred being our starting midfielder alongside Casemiro this season, I really think he's OK in midfield if he's not asked to perform in a role clearly not suited to his strengths. IMO he will be comfortably better in CM role than Eriksen.

I believe Fred is a victim of being partnered by muppets like McTominay and Bruno, who have little idea what CM should be doing, and even with them he looked OK on many occasions. I'm pretty sure he will improve significantly with Casemiro joining, and so will the whole team if we can get the balance right.

Kostov

I have no problem with Fred being our starting midfielder alongside Casemiro this season, I really think he's OK in midfield if he's not asked to perform in a role clearly not suited to his strengths. IMO he will be comfortably better in CM role than Eriksen.

I believe Fred is a victim of being partnered by muppets like McTominay and Bruno, who have little idea what CM should be doing, and even with them he looked OK on many occasions. I'm pretty sure he will improve significantly with Casemiro joining, and so will the whole team if we can get the balance right.
You talk about Fred and him being OK in midfield then talk about him not to be asked to perform in a role clearly not suited to his strengths. What are his strengths actually? Because hi ball control is not good enough, passing not good enough, shooting is sunday league level, defensive awareness shambolic, his creative side non existent. But he will be better in CM role than Eriksen? Because?

And yeah there is always an excuse, I am sure that there are apologists for McT who would say he is a victim of Fred and the brazilian has had so many brain farts, you can say he is the biggest muppet of them all. I am more in that wagon myself but I realize that they both are not good enough. Bruno does not belong with those in any case.

EDIT: You didn't answer my original question? Have you seen what a decent B2B midfielder does?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
He was definitely told to come on and be a nuisance last night, was diving in all over the place and getting away with it :lol:

Borys

Statistics Wizard
You talk about Fred and him being OK in midfield then talk about him not to be asked to perform in a role clearly not suited to his strengths. What are his strengths actually? Because hi ball control is not good enough, passing not good enough, shooting is sunday league level, defensive awareness shambolic, his creative side non existent. But he will be better in CM role than Eriksen? Because?

And yeah there is always an excuse, I am sure that there are apologists for McT who would say he is a victim of Fred and the brazilian has had so many brain farts, you can say he is the biggest muppet of them all. I am more in that wagon myself but I realize that they both are not good enough. Bruno does not belong with those in any case.

EDIT: You didn't answer my original question? Have you seen what a decent B2B midfielder does?
We will have to agree to disagree as we have totally different view on the player. You think he's just shite, I think he's decent in every aspect of the game if he's played in midfield and with a partner who can cover for him. His best ability IMO is how good he is at getting the ball back on opposition half, what will be essential if we want to play possession based football under Ten Hag. He is a good supporting midfielder who always gives 100% and I believe it will be enough for now. He can be easily upgraded of course, but he still will have a role to play.

Eriksen is too slow to play in midfield, I actually think he was a good choice yesterday because we played in low block a lot of the time, but in most of the games our midfielders will need to chase the ball a lot more and he is not the guy to do that. Ideally we will play a midfield of Casemiro - Fred - Eriksen.

I am not taking your "question" seriously and if you will be pushing it, may as well not take your posts seriously, not sure what you're trying to achieve here?

Kostov

We will have to agree to disagree as we have totally different view on the player. You think he's just shite, I think he's decent in every aspect of the game if he's played in midfield and with a partner who can cover for him. His best ability IMO is how good he is at getting the ball back on opposition half, what will be essential if we want to play possession based football under Ten Hag. He is a good supporting midfielder who always gives 100% and I believe it will be enough for now. He can be easily upgraded of course, but he still will have a role to play.

Eriksen is too slow to play in midfield, I actually think he was a good choice yesterday because we played in low block a lot of the time, but in most of the games our midfielders will need to chase the ball a lot more and he is not the guy to do that. Ideally we will play a midfield of Casemiro - Fred - Eriksen.

I am not taking your "question" seriously and if you will be pushing it, may as well not take your posts seriously, not sure what you're trying to achieve here?
I am trying to figure out what is your definition of decent? And you describe his as decent is every aspect if he is played in midfield and with a partner who can cover for him? Cover what? His inconsistent passing and ball control? His diabolic defensive play? Or attacking input? I agree about one thing, yes he is decent in chasing after people and winning the occasional ball, but is that enough in order for him to play that role? I don't think so, not with his inconsistent touch, passing and awful tendency to shoot at every semi occasion to a shocking standard.

With the 5 sub role, it even makes it easier, I'd play Eriksen, DVB actually even McT since I think he can be more useful like he demonstrated last night. Ultimately we need another CM.

Teja

Eriksen is too slow to play in midfield, I actually think he was a good choice yesterday because we played in low block a lot of the time, but in most of the games our midfielders will need to chase the ball a lot more
Yeah I thought we could get away with playing Eriksen at DLP for a season but he looked very leggy yesterday. Ceded control quite a few times because he couldn't do your basic CM sprint to cover wide and then get back in position as soon as the ball rotates.

I wonder if it's possible to cover for him by bringing Bruno a little deeper but as it is right now, we have a Pogba, Fred, Bruno midfield again

Status
Not open for further replies.