Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
We will beat Bournemouth if he plays and we actually have a competitive midfield with real energy.

If we start with Eriksen/Casemiro away from home again, we will drop points.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
You can generally tell if Good Fred or Bad Fred will turn up by seeing if the first thing he does comes off well.

The first thing he did today went well... Thus Good Fred appeared
This was my first thought when I saw the first thing he did. :lol:

Kingofwinners

I think he's a better a fit for us than Eriksen, He's tenacity and aggression are so important and he has had far more good performances than bad this season, also His passing is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. I really hope he starts against Bournemouth.
He was really good today, first touch and passing way better than usual. Game was more comfortable after he came on. BUT after 5+ years that is what you get at most 10% of his appearances another maybe 40% are decent and then your into train wrecks. Delighted he did well today but he just isn’t good enough for a top half premier league team.

AttackAttackAttack

I think we should keep Fred around. He is usually solid and we need depth in midfield. Keep him as a rotational player!

Sylar

I think he's a better a fit for us than Eriksen, He's tenacity and aggression are so important and he has had far more good performances than bad this season, also His passing is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. I really hope he starts against Bournemouth.
I dont agree because I think with him in, we see the positions that Bruno can pick up to be the creative point.
Its no surprise that when the three of them (Bruno, Case, Eriksen) start as a midfield three we do well (im not going to point to WH because for some daft reason we had WW as the third midfielder and bruno out wide).

Fred does well next to Casemiro at times, but it makes sense why hes brought on especially if were trying to hold on and it becomes a bit chaotic.

criticalanalysis

I know you just don't know which Fred you'll get... But I just like him out there more than Eriksen in games where we won't clearly dominate possession.
Agree, we need Fred to do Fred things.

He's been good in his recent limited showings. Hope he gets a full game on Sunday and starts against City. IIRC he was one of the MOTM against them at Old Trafford.

Abraxas

That pass was magic.

6 goals and 6 assists this season is a pretty solid return for the kind of player he is.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Some of the comments in the match thread are very unfair. People ale like "where did he pull that performance from?", while he's been serving a nice level often this season. For whatever reason he's not been in ETH plans. I always argued we look more balanced side with him instead of Eriksen.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
If Fred could be any kind of consistent with his passing...

Based Adnan

Good game but hopefully the last we see of him in a United shirt

Far too inconsistent and he doesn't fit the style we'll be looking to implement moving forward

Rustyspider13

When he's good, he's very good. Shame it goes the same way when he's bad. But he is a good squad player to have and should definitely partner Casemiro in the final.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Am I only one who got the vibe that EtH had told Fred he was free to leave? He has recently been treated like somebody who doesn't have a future here.

Abraxas

I don't think there's a big difference in Eriksen's current level and Fred. Of course Eriksen was a better footballer, but he doesn't have the same energy he once did. They're both better at some things and worse at others compared to the other.

I think for the final Fred is a better idea. I'd go with that Brazilian partnership. More defensive solidity, running power, pressing potential. We need to be aggressive, we can't just sit in and wait to get opened up. We have to defend yes, but we need competitiveness, tackling, covering passing lanes that City use into Haaland.

I think there would be an opportunity to bring in Eriksen when the energy City start with dies down. Maybe he will find a crucial pass. If we start him he'll be knackered in 50 minutes and probably not a big factor in the game.

CloneMC16

I don't think he has had a better season than Eriksen. Eriksen played a lot better before his injury. Fred has been up and down, but his good games have been really good. Fred won't start the final. You all know it.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

A good day at the office for Fred. Gave away 2-3 needless fouls that allowed Fulham to put everyone in our box, but he more than made up for it with that assist. A Herrera-like performance.

I don't think there's a big difference in Eriksen's current level and Fred. Of course Eriksen was a better footballer, but he doesn't have the same energy he once did. They're both better at some things and worse at others compared to the other.

I think for the final Fred is a better idea. I'd go with that Brazilian partnership. More defensive solidity, running power, pressing potential. We need to be aggressive, we can't just sit in and wait to get opened up. We have to defend yes, but we need competitiveness, tackling, covering passing lanes that City use into Haaland.

I think there would be an opportunity to bring in Eriksen when the energy City start with dies down. Maybe he will find a crucial pass. If we start him he'll be knackered in 50 minutes and probably not a big factor in the game.
I hear you. It may happen, too, because Eriksen has been subpar since he came back from injury.

But a defensive plan rarely relies upon one specific player. The way we get overrun in the midfield sometimes is a systemic weak spot - a glitch in the matrix - of our man-to-man oriented press. If the opponent manages to bypass the press through the central channels, we risk finding ourselves in a spot of bother no matter who plays there. It's happened at Ajax, too. Plus, pressing, in particular, hasn't much to do with running an energy levels. If that was the case, players like Xavi, Iniesta or Gundogan wouldn't get anywhere near Pep's line-ups.

Fred's true qualities are second balls and the pressure he applies on the first attacker. These qualities are valued even more when he puts in a good performance, because he's been playing for years for a team that doesn't run much and is allergic to challenges. Having said that, and in ETH's defence (should he pick Eriksen in the final), at this level, running and stealing the ball is half the job done. It all amounts to zero, if after wards, your first touch and your vision lets you down. And let's not kid ourselves, today's assist isn't typical Fred stuff. So, in a game where we'll probably have about 30% of the ball, ETH may go for the player who might make the better decisions on the ball, the little time we will have it at our feet.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Am I only one who got the vibe that EtH had told Fred he was free to leave? He has recently been treated like somebody who doesn't have a future here.
Even if that was the case:
1) Fred still plays like he wants to be here
2) considering the point above, ETH could've continued playing him

Ten Hag was in the wrong on Fred IMO. Funny enough we looked most controlling/dominating when it was Fred in the midfield, not Eriksen. That doesn't mean Fred is the better player on individual level, he surely isn't, but he fits this United side much, much better.

BorisManUtd

I'd start him against City. He was also one of the best on the pitch last time vs City and part of lineup that beat Newcastle 2-0 to win Carabao Cup. Also was subbed off with half an hour to go today so that maybe indicates he'll start on Saturday.

Redderp

Did anyone else notice how everyone acted when he was subbed off? It was like when a player knows it’s his last home game. Everyone hugged him and it looked very much like a farewell to Old Trafford. It feels like he is 100% gone.

bucky

Did anyone else notice how everyone acted when he was subbed off? It was like when a player knows it’s his last home game. Everyone hugged him and it looked very much like a farewell to Old Trafford. It feels like he is 100% gone.
Yep, thought the same.

Ace of Spades

Let us wait and see. certainly have not heard much about his contract situation.

Oranges038

He's been treated like that from the start. It was quite clear from early on ETH didn't fancy him.

Abhinav

Not his biggest fan but hopefully EtH starts him against City. Eriksen has completely lost his form and energy the past few games.

Dominos

Another assist, many interceptions. May start in the cup final instead of Eriksen
We started both at Old Trafford and Bruno got shifted to the right, and played very well first half with it. Martial going off injured at half time in that game disrupted us.

But we should be trying to replicate the 1st half at OT as much as possible, so I'd start the same midfield/attack. Makes even more sense with Antony's injury.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Probably is the case, there’s been no news of an extension. Right call, but he has to be replaced. McTominay too.

Status
Not open for further replies.