Fred has a great shot on him and will start scoring more eventually

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
@kouroux and I were discussing this and he disagrees with me that he has good technique. I think he has a wicked shot on him but is lacking confidence. He doesn't need much lift to generate a lot of power. To me he seems like a confidence player. After the first one goes in we will start scoring a lot more.

What do you all think? Seems like I'm in the minority since most tell me he's crap at it.

bludsucker

@kouroux and I were discussing this and he disagrees with me that he has good technique. I think he has a wicked shot on him but is lacking confidence. He doesn't need much lift to generate a lot of power. To me he seems like a confidence player. After the first one goes in we will start scoring a lot more.

What do you all think? Seems like I'm in the minority since most tell me he's crap at it.
He can score more if he hits the target more regularly. He is just a bit wide most of the times.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He's got alright technique, a bit wild. His dead ball is much better than his shots from open play but to be fair we hardly manage to create many good shooting opportunites outside the box. Players often find themselves shooting with their weaker foot and that's just never going in.

Djemba-Djemba

He seems to have an appalling technique for shooting, as bad as I've seen at Utd. It's like he genuinely doesn't understand the concept of how to shoot.

What makes you think he's good at it? There's pretty much no evidence of that at all.

I like Fred too by the way, his improvement the last few months has been remarkable so I'm not just spitefully slagging him off. I don't think he'll be scoring too many goals though for us.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If we get Bruno we won't need to find out. But I don't know how you can theorise that he's got a great shot, when he's not really shown that even a little bit.

Kag

His decision making is worse than his technique. I’d argue the latter is fine. He just seems to think that taking on a bouncing ball (at shoulder height) with his weaker foot, from 35 yards, is a good idea. Which it isn’t.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I’ve actually thought the same for a while. He’s been a few inches either side off of a screamer about 5 or 6 times this season alone.

TrustInOle

I agree with this, even in some of his hard, forward passing there is a zip and connection with the ball that he pulls of with ease, same with Greenwood and Pogba. A powerful and accurate shot or pass can come unexpected and is a real asset to have. Regarding his shooting, he does seem to be lacking in confidence and I have noticed he tends to rush into them quite often. Although there was a chance against Wolves where he managed to compose himself, turn and let of a decent shot which was either blocked or straight at Ruddy.

But I agree, once he starts finding his timing and positioning outside the box, he has a clean enough technique that it will add another dimension to his already improving game.

binary bot
He's good technique but poor shot selection. He always hits shots when he's off balance or in an awkward position. Pereira is the same.

-Supreme-

His decision making is worse than his technique. I’d argue the latter is fine. He just seems to think that taking on a bouncing ball (at shoulder height) with his weaker foot, from 35 yards, is a good idea. Which it isn’t.
This. His decision making when taking shots is wild to say the least, he obviously is keen to add to his 1 goal tally at United

RUCK4444

He's good technique but poor shot selection. He always hits shots when he's off balance or in an awkward position. Pereira is the same.
Was going to say the same. He rarely gets a clean shot away, always of balance or trying to force a shot when being closed down.

Needs to make space for the shot more effectively.

Ludens the Red

Genuinely had to blink twice at the thread title. Him and Perreira are absolutely awful at shooting from distance. It’s actually borderline disturbing that players playing at their level in their position, appear incapable of striking the ball properly at goal. I’ve not played football in four years and I could walk onto a pitch tomorrow and take a better shot from distance than these two and that’s not an exaggeration.
Fred has power and that’s about it...

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Maybe is has a great shot in training.

Gopher Brown

To mitigate slightly, he is the only player trying anything remotely creative in midfield at the moment.

Kostov

Is this a joke thread? :lol:

Fred looks like an appalling shooter of the ball, add to that his decision making and it is a bad scene to watch. My head hurts every time he decides to shoot,

thepolice123

He shooting is average at best but definitely better than Anderson.

Brazil has produced some players with an absolute cannon of a left foot and we got two with some of the poorest shots I've seen.

Roberto Carlos
Rivaldo
Hulk
Adriano
Rivelino

Anderson
Fred

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
It's almost a running joke in my house that Fred will have at least one improbable shot every game and it will inevitably go well over the bar. He has shocking technique.

Hes very good at striking dead balls so it makes sense he should be able to shoot well. Hasnt shown it so far mind.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I genuinely think he’s had some of the worst efforts I’ve ever seen from a united player. When it seems best to cannon a shot in he will try a delicate placed effort or he will often just try something with no chance of coming off. I like little Fred but it’s defo not his strong point.

Based Adnan

He has a lot of floaters. Shots that even if they were on target (which he finds very hard to do) the keeper could chuck a hat on it to catch them.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
For me the problem is that he's the only one who is taking shots so the space gets closed down and he ends up scuffing his shots. Right now Pereira or Lingard in the CAM role can't do that & hardly even try.

When/if Bruno Fernandes comes and takes shots alongside the likes of Pogba and Mctomminay - I think this will make it easier for Fred to start scoring goals for us because he won't be the only one.

And then as you said - once he does it once I can see him scoring a bit more.

MikeeMike

Genuinely had to blink twice at the thread title. Him and Perreira are absolutely awful at shooting from distance. It’s actually borderline disturbing that players playing at their level in their position, appear incapable of striking the ball properly at goal. I’ve not played football in four years and I could walk onto a pitch tomorrow and take a better shot from distance than these two and that’s not an exaggeration.
Fred has power and that’s about it...
agree totally. ok, Fred is maybe most improved played of last few months but thats only because is baseline was attrocious

lex talionis

I don't see the evidence that Fred has a great shot in him. Maybe he does, but evidence of it has not revealed itself yet.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
For me the problem is that he's the only one who is taking shots so the space gets closed down and he ends up scuffing his shots. Right now Pereira or Lingard in the CAM role can't do that & hardly even try.

When/if Bruno Fernandes comes and takes shots alongside the likes of Pogba and Mctomminay - I think this will make it easier for Fred to start scoring goals for us because he won't be the only one.

And then as you said - once he does it once I can see him scoring a bit more.
Except actual facts show that both Andreas and Lingard shoot more than him. They are also far better at actually getting into the box to work a shot. They also have better accuracy as well with Andreas actually hitting the target 38% of the time to Fred's 22%. So for you the problem is completely made up in your head.

He hasn't scored regularly in his career at any point and won't be doing so here either.

ManRed

Nothing to do with confidence. He has poor technique and decision making as said above. Sure one will go in sooner or later but then even a broken clock is right twice in a day.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Except actual facts show that both Andreas and Lingard shoot more than him. They are also far better at actually getting into the box to work a shot. So for you the problem is completely made up in your head.

He hasn't scored regularly in his career at any point and won't be doing so here either.
But I don't mean getting in to the box and their shots are rubbish as well aren't they? They are non existent.

I just think when we have more long range goal scorers that we will have more space for players like Fred to shoot himself.

Sometimes when Lingard & Pereira play the centre attacking midfield position feels unnecessarily congested - rather than having players like Fernandes, Pogba or Fred making late runs to take a shot.

Just my opinion but now with our number 10 being Lingard or pereira - they don't seem to do things too intelligently, fluidly - the same reason we were crying to see Pogba in the CAM position with Fred & mctomminay behind them.

Do you not think that Pogba would score more goals than pereira & Lingard? Do you not think Pogba would set up more chances for Fred to land a long range screamer for Fred from a simple back pass and the space he may create?

I think he would.

The same with Bruno Fernandes & the same with Pogba - they will set up the players around them & I think that will be the case for Fred to land a good long range shot once in a whilst.

Absolutely nothing is happening centrally because our one and only focal point is Martial.

Bondi77

I am not saying he has a bad shot but I reckon he is one of the few players I have seen that seems like he could take a goal kick and give away a corner in the same process.