Fred has a great shot on him and will start scoring more eventually

Foxbatt

If he doesn't have to do so much of work in the midfield and defend so much he will score more goals. It is good if Bruno comes but we need someone to replace Matic more than ever.

Tarrou

His ball striking technique is fine but he constantly takes low EV shots with the ball not sitting right, bobbling around or on his wrong side. It’s very frustrating to watch. When you can see he’s winding up for a shot you almost always think “don’t shoot!” In that moment.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
I agree but he needs to stop shooting with his weak foot

El Zoido

There are some decent ones in here.
Yeah I watched that the other day, after another missed shot. Thinking, he can’t just be this bad at shooting can he? I know compilations are designed to show the best, but at least it does prove he’s got it in him. His shooting has been truly woeful for us but I reckon he’ll score an absolute stormer one of these days. Got to get it right eventually. Whether he can make a habit of it is a different matter though.

jackal&hyde

There are some decent ones in here.
This is what i wanted to post. He is just finding his feet in the PL and the goals will come. He has a good shot on him both power shots as well as good accurate ones. He's still adapting and we need to be patient.

Classical Mechanic

Scores a load in an easier league with more time on the ball and more opportunities to take those shots on. This is the same danger we'll have with Bruno. If they start missing a few the crowd starts to groan and the pressure grows on them every time they take a shot on.

jackal&hyde

Scores a load in an easier league with more time on the ball and more opportunities to take those shots on. This is the same danger we'll have with Bruno. If they start missing a few the crowd starts to groan and the pressure grows on them every time they take a shot on.
I think it's a case of pressure rather then time on the ball. Fred is a confidence player imo, Bruno is not.

Classical Mechanic

I think it's a case of pressure rather then time on the ball. Fred is a confidence player imo, Bruno is not.
I disagree. Defenders are better at making it difficult for attackers in every aspect as you step up the levels, the margin for error decreases. I agree in that confidence is key though, the player can't let the tougher conditions chip away at their confidence.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Strange that I can't recall him ever having a chance in the box. Is he really crap at making/timing his runs into the box?

As for the OP, Fred has a powerful shot in it but have to see him impress his accuracy and technique in picking out a spot, before I can say he's going to be scoring regularly. I can see possibly him scoring the odd belter once in a long while, for now.

jackal&hyde

I disagree. Defenders are better at making it difficult for attackers in every aspect as you step up the levels, the margin for error decreases. I agree in that confidence is key though, the player can't let the tougher conditions chip away at their confidence.
I agree that it's more difficult but Fred does get in to shooting positions, he just doesn't have the clear mind when it happens and rushes. It will come. People have written him of almost as a football player and they were dead wrong knee jerkers; we should learn from that. If he stays fit i'm sure he will get at least one goal by the end of the season and then he will put them in more regularly with the new found confidence, just like his passing has improved over the last few months.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Shooting the ball very hard doesn't mean you have good tekkers
I think this is a strong response. Hitting the ball hard or even striking it well doesn't mean you have a good shot on you. From what I've seen, Fred has had many attempts from his so called great technique and rarely even bothered the keeper. It's usually terrible off target. So yeah, you need to have 'control' to be able to have great shooting technique.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think this is a strong response. Hitting the ball hard or even striking it well doesn't mean you have a good shot on you. From what I've seen, Fred has had many attempts from his so called great technique and rarely even bothered the keeper. It's usually terrible off target. So yeah, you need to have 'control' to be able to have great shooting technique.
Besides, scoring compilations only show all his good attempts. Whereas we get to see all his shots, from the worst ones to the slightly less terrible ones.

Classical Mechanic

I agree that it's more difficult but Fred does get in to shooting positions, he just doesn't have the clear mind when it happens and rushes. It will come. People have written him of almost as a football player and they were dead wrong knee jerkers; we should learn from that. If he stays fit i'm sure he will get at least one goal by the end of the season and then he will put them in more regularly with the new found confidence, just like his passing has improved over the last few months.
Personally I just think he's pretty average at this level, not that there's anything wrong with that. He's doesn't really excel at anything beyond work rate. The Ukrainian League is a very low level and Shaktar are much better than the other sides there so expecting him to play like he did for them for United is an unreasonable expectation. His goal output for Shaktar was low anyway so while he may score the odd long shot for us we shouldn't really expect much from him in that regard.

Bondi77

This is what i wanted to post. He is just finding his feet in the PL and the goals will come. He has a good shot on him both power shots as well as good accurate ones. He's still adapting and we need to be patient.
He is still adapting???
I know there is a process to get used to teammates and lifestyle and possibly the weather but I would not have thought there was anything in actually having the technique to properly strike a football.
Some are good at it, some are extremely good at it,, Fred is neither.

jackal&hyde

Personally I just think he's pretty average at this level, not that there's anything wrong with that. He's doesn't really excel at anything beyond work rate. The Ukrainian League is a very low level and Shaktar are much better than the other sides there so expecting him to play like he did for them for United is an unreasonable expectation. His goal output for Shaktar was low anyway so while he may score the odd long shot for us we shouldn't really expect much from him in that regard.
I agree with most of that except him being average. He has almost everything you would want from a mid: good engine, technical ability, dribbling, passing both long and short for pass and move, power in the shot. I think both the pace of the game in the PL as well as being in the spot light at a club like Man Utd has been an enormous change and challenge for him, but over the last few months he has shown that he can adapt. If he's able to completely translate his talent in to performances at this level remains to be seen of course, i think he can.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
His left foot shooting is good but the majority have been on his right recently, and they're definitely swingers.

He went close against Wolves on his left. He's getting better and better anyway, very happy with him.

Conor

I do think he was a good shooter at Shaktar, and that is why he's persevering, as usually someone would give up after some of the attempts he's had this season. It definitely could be a case of one going in and then he gets a few.

meamth

One of the worst strikers of the ball I've ever seen in professional football, he's like Anderson only worse. His technique is atrocious, he could have 100 shots at goal outside of the box and 99 would miss their target.

Some of the fans on here are deluded to the point where it becomes genuinely terrifying.
He seems to have an appalling technique for shooting, as bad as I've seen at Utd. It's like he genuinely doesn't understand the concept of how to shoot.

What makes you think he's good at it? There's pretty much no evidence of that at all.

I like Fred too by the way, his improvement the last few months has been remarkable so I'm not just spitefully slagging him off. I don't think he'll be scoring too many goals though for us.

Comments like this..really man?

He is a professional player. If he can't shoot, he should be a barber somewhere in Brazil.

Fosu-Mens

Hits the ball as they did in the 90ies. Not a good method for the new type of balls. Also, an indication that he will most likely never win a Nobel prize in physics.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
For some reason all his shooting opportunities seem to fall at his right foot. Then he might as well not bother. He do has a good shot on him with his left though.

Mind, he was better at shooting when he was crap.

PieCrust

I don't think Fred has a great shot. He can hit a ball with power and at times and sling some amazing passes (when he isn't busy making stupid mistakes that turn into opposition goals), but his shot accuracy is awful.

I wouldn't want him taking long range shots or free kicks at all.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Think he's becoming a competent CDM. Works his socks off and is most of the time tidy enough with his passing. The attacking side of his game is poor though for me. No chance I'd play him further forward again. He looks a lot better playing from deep.

rollingstoned1

Nah no way. Guy reminds me of anderson with how shocking and unclean his shooting technique is. I never have any confidence he will get it on target never mind score.

UpWithRivers

what are you on about. He has average about a goal a season all his career. Even at Shakhtar he scored what 4 max a season.If he goes on a mad goal scoring run he will get 2

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He's absolutely shite at shooting.

People said this about Pogba, who's better at it, but still hits most shots a foot wide years later.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I think this is a strong response. Hitting the ball hard or even striking it well doesn't mean you have a good shot on you.
Apart from my mate who can hit it that hard the ball whistles. It's terrifying being in net against it. Like a German whistling bomb in missile form.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Does he? He's completely wild with them... just swing his foot at it as hard as possible, which is why they're so inconsistent.

I mean he probably will score a Worldie at some point... because of how wild he is and because of the law of averages.... but way way way more will end up in the stand.

flappyjay

When Andreas, McTominay or Pogba take long shots even if they are not on target, you can tell they have proper technique I wouldn't say the same about Fred

sosolid4u09

Possibly one of the worst i've ever seen at the club at striking a football. I thought this was an ironic thread at first.
His passing also, is absolutely horrendous at times. More consistent than his shooting mind you, which is awful.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'll echo what others say about him, he's really bad at shooting. Like really, REALLY bad. It's a struggle for him to get shots on target let alone fluke a goal.

Premier League Stats (taken from Whoscored)
Player​
Total Shots​
Rashford​
74​
Martial​
40​
James​
31​
Pereira​
29​
Fred​
27​