Fred is one of the most underrated players in England

bugmat

While I agree that the opposition get past him a bit more than we'd ideally want (mostly because he overcommits), it also has to be remembered that one thing that isn't shown in those stats is how often he forces the opposition to give the ball away. I remember one game recently (pretty sure it was Leipzig) where he forced turnovers three times in less than ten minutes. The pressure he was putting them under made them stuff up their passes and they gave it straight to one of our players. That doesn't get included in Fred's stats; indeed it would have been noted down as an interception by whichever player received it even though all they mostly did was benefit from Fred's hard work. In fact I wonder if some of those times get put into Fred's 'dribbled past' column if the opposition get partly past him then force a pass.
Mate don't burst their bubble ! People who watch stats instead of football matches have little clue. At least Ole has recognised his value (or rediscovered it, because he was key before the lockdown).

romufc

While I agree that the opposition get past him a bit more than we'd ideally want (mostly because he overcommits), it also has to be remembered that one thing that isn't shown in those stats is how often he forces the opposition to give the ball away. I remember one game recently (pretty sure it was Leipzig) where he forced turnovers three times in less than ten minutes. The pressure he was putting them under made them stuff up their passes and they gave it straight to one of our players. That doesn't get included in Fred's stats; indeed it would have been noted down as an interception by whichever player received it even though all they mostly did was benefit from Fred's hard work. In fact I wonder if some of those times get put into Fred's 'dribbled past' column if the opposition get partly past him then force a pass.
It is obvious for anyone who watches and understands football what he does for us, in our squad he is the best at his job. It is no surprise that successful clubs in recent times have at least 1 workhorse midfielder.

The problem with certain fans is they are so concentrated on stats, they forget to watch the game itself.

I have heard fans calling for expansive football, risk taking football and then the same fans want our team to have 90% passing accuracy for the stats. Now, if you watch and understand football, you know this is not possible, you cannot have both. That is what taking risk is.

Ekeke

Is there somewhere with numbers for the previous seasons? or is it only now people are starting to care about pressing numbers so this is the only thing available?

And at the same time, Alan had a dissappointing season at Napoli after a really good one and was sold to Everton. His numbers are similar to Fred
Can I get an update on this @MadDogg ?

Because it could be a very useful stat, but right now it doesn't seem to be.

If the argument is that Fred would play for Liverpool, Liverpool's CMs dont feature in the list. That tells you that relentless pressing isnt what Klopp wants from his CMs/DMs else they would be on the list. Its what he wants in attacking areas, which is not what the graphic shows. And what he wants from attacking players and Fred isnt a winger or striker so he doesnt fit there either.

What we could do though is see what the data was before Fred, with Ander playing that role in the team That would require previous seasons pressing stats.

Martialfc

Fred is awful, he’s in the same category as Lingard, Mata, Jones, Rojo, Williams, Lindelof and Shaw. If you guys are happy with mediocrity and players that will never help us bridge the gap with to Liverpool and City keep praising these bang average players and give them new 150k contracts. He just isn’t good enough. Face it.

It's B Rubble

Fred is awful, he’s in the same category as Lingard, Mata, Jones, Rojo, Williams, Lindelof and Shaw. If you guys are happy with mediocrity and players that will never help us bridge the gap with to Liverpool and City keep praising these bang average players and give them new 150k contracts. He just isn’t good enough. Face it.
Holy shite the absolute state of this post is beyond comprehension. Not only is Fred winning admiration from various pundits but rival fans have begun to realize he’s a standout player and a cog in our midfield. Lingard is = to Fred? Ha!! I can now say I’ve seen it all on this forum.

Levenstein

The list is pretty funny even without Fred and whatever it is, he is one of the most important players at the moment for us.

MikeeMike

You need to wear your specs the next time you watch us play. "pretending he is breaking up attacks" ffs. The fact Pep wants him tells you al you need to know. Fred is our most important CM and was before the lockdown too. One doesn't get into the Brazil national team by being shite.
I agree I do look for the negatives in his game. Also, I agree he has improved so much in last 6 months but I still don’t get “most underrated label”. I want him to move more with the ball instead of insta-passing, stop ball watching as he tracks back, find spaces better to recieve the ball .

If you disagree ok but my opinion is he has the technique/control and could be so much more effective.

romufc

Stop being a entitled fan. Did anyone really think Gini, Hendo would be at this level?

It is obvious in modern day football you cannot have 11 WC players and win. It doesnt work, you need players like Fred to balance teams. If you cannot accept a player can improve, Fred has improved, then you need to face the reality.

You also need to face the reality this is not the Manchester United of old. Even the Manutd you are talking about had players like Fred that were there for the team like Fletcher, Park, Oshea, Brown.

OleTheGreat

I think Fred took time to get into the groove at United and is suited to our playing style now because he likes to fight for the ball and move the ball forward quickly. Jose made him sit deep and make it pass sideways. Mctominay is a player that Jose liked because he likes to stick to his role, clean up and send the ball sideways. Fred has changed a lot this season more than the season before this in fact, I see more tackles and using his legs smartly. He lunges into tackles knowing full well that he can win the ball. What's even more encouraging is, he is willing to go forward and also pass forward between the lines more often now. I think United can use these 2 formations,

Pogba Bruno
Mctominay

or

VDB Fred
Matic (in cup games)

Although I like Fred and Mctominay together because they usher things ahead of the defensive line and also slide into the full back positions whenever necessary. Matic sits between the 2 CBs and hates going wide. Pogba on the other hand is dreadful defensively.

Bruno
Fred Mctominay works.

I'd love it if Fred can just sit in front of the defense and Pogba can join Bruno in the attack but he's a CM and should not played as a DM. It's quite a conundrum although we have so many midfielders in the team. I think Ole should stick with Fred and Mctominay with Bruno in front for now just because it works. Hate to waste Pogba and VDB though. Boy would I hate to be in Ole's shoes.

Foxbatt

You put a good DM and put Fred as box to box and he would improve a lot more. I would say also if DVB can play on the right and Fred on the left with Bruno on top of the diamond we will have a good team. I also think he needs to calm down a bit and take an extra second.

Martialfc

Stop being a entitled fan. Did anyone really think Gini, Hendo would be at this level?

It is obvious in modern day football you cannot have 11 WC players and win. It doesnt work, you need players like Fred to balance teams. If you cannot accept a player can improve, Fred has improved, then you need to face the reality.

You also need to face the reality this is not the Manchester United of old. Even the Manutd you are talking about had players like Fred that were there for the team like Fletcher, Park, Oshea, Brown.
Fletcher, Park, O’Shea and Brown were all brilliant players for us don’t dare equate their footballing ability to Fred. Even Troy Deeney said that “everyone knows when you play united press Fred when he is on the ball. He always needs three or four touches” that’s how average he is! Troy Deeney is saying he’s useless, yet our fans think he’s the next Scholes the way they bang on about him. He’s simply not good enough to be at a team like united. Peoples standards have dropped and if you want us to stay mid table then carry on.

EngimaMK

Fletcher, Park, O’Shea and Brown were all brilliant players for us don’t dare equate their footballing ability to Fred. Even Troy Deeney said that “everyone knows when you play united press Fred when he is on the ball. He always needs three or four touches” that’s how average he is! Troy Deeney is saying he’s useless, yet our fans think he’s the next Scholes the way they bang on about him. He’s simply not good enough to be at a team like united. Peoples standards have dropped and if you want us to stay mid table then carry on.
Nobody for one second ever said he is the next Scholes. Belive it or not, there were fans like you back in the day that would slate Brown, Fletcher, oShea, Park et al.

AFC NimbleThumb

Hear, hear.

If Fred played for Arsenal he’d be looked at as a decent player that simply isn’t consistently good enough.

It’s all well & good being mobile in the midfield but he’s a negative on the ball - he’s not a bad player but some of the talk on this forum is a tad ‘red tinted’.

As for the aforementioned players in your post I couldn’t agree more, all vastly underrated & light years more effective than Fred in their roles.

Jericho

Nobody for one second ever said he is the next Scholes. Belive it or not, there were fans like you back in the day that would slate Brown, Fletcher, oShea, Park et al.
Yeah most people hated Fletcher for a long time. He was a very limited player. Mainly just a workhorse as I remember. The only time a remember him getting much praise was when he missed the Champions League final and people thought we might have won if he was involved.

Even Carrick was always criticized as only playing the ball sideways.

Fred is decent and getting better. He'd thrive in a Liverpool midfield for sure.

Posh Red

Yeah most people hated Fletcher for a long time. He was a very limited player. Mainly just a workhorse as I remember. The only time a remember him getting much praise was when he missed the Champions League final and people thought we might have won if he was involved.

Fred is decent and getting better. He'd thrive in a Liverpool midfield for sure.
Never really got this. Especially towards the end of his career. In his last season he had the most forward passes in Europe’s top five leagues.

Red00012

When we win - caf goes Fred is class

When we lose -caf goes Fred is useless

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Funny how we've lost every time Fred doesn't play this season. Concede 3 against Palace, 6 against Spurs. Lose away in Istanbul and then at Arsenal we concede after he's subbed. Goal difference with Fred is 17:6 (+11). Without him is 9:11 (-2).

We've simply not functioned defensively this season without him.

BlueHaze

Now there you are talking one of the most criminaly underrated players in the history. Actually he is on my personal top 10 list of all time United greats. If we are talking strictly personality wise he's number one. Never involved in any shite outside the field, was always humble, kept his head down and did whatever was required with no fuss. His ability to read the game not to mention his usefulness in certain man marking scenarios was top notch.

Top quality player, a true professional and a great role model for all the kids.

acnumber9

Funny how we've lost every time Fred doesn't play this season. Concede 3 against Palace, 6 against Spurs. Lose away in Istanbul and then at Arsenal we concede after he's subbed. Goal difference with Fred is 17:6 (+11). Without him is 9:11 (-2).

We've simply not functioned defensively this season without him.
It’s boosted nicely by a couple of league cup games. In the league we’ve scored a grand total of five goals while he’s been on the pitch and conceded 5.

tenpoless

I see a little bit of Kante in him. Even when Kante was on his peak he was not for everyone. Some disliked him.

I personally like both. Essential to any team at the very least as a squad option.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It’s boosted nicely by a couple of league cup games. In the league we’ve scored a grand total of five goals while he’s been on the pitch and conceded 5.
League Cup games were against Brighton which we struggled against in the league (he didn't start) and Luton who at the time were 3 places below us in the league system. Not really my point, I was focusing on the defending. We've conceded 17 goas in 12 games. For the 33% of the minutes that Fred wasn't on the pitch we conceded 65% of the goals.

We start the season horribly. Palace, Brighton, Spurs. Awful games. Then we get Fred starting. The games immediately improve, we beat PSG and thrash Leipzig. Somehow don't beat Chelsea despite dominating. Arsenal was his only bad game and he got subbed. Doesn't start against Istanbul and we get a bad performance again. Doom and gloom against Everton but Fred-McTominay start and we're the better team after a wobbly start.

The sample size is obviously low for this season but same can be said about any player. The only factor I can see so far in the season is that he's not played the games where the team performed the worst and he's played in all of the wins. I also think McTominay plays a lot better when he's paired with Fred. Bruno is also friends with Fred but I don't how if that makes any difference.

tombombadil

Fred isn't one of those outstanding players. He isn't the best on the ball. I've read he's doing after hours training to work on his weaknesses regularly. I wouldn't dare claim he is anywhere world class. But he's a good team player and currently does a bang on job for us partnering Mctominay. They both have excellent discipline in their defensive positioning and have the energy to press in the middle. They do a good job in a role that is very much needed in the team right now who form the base for our best performances, currently. We don't really have anyone else who can do better.

Not sure what the whining is on about. If anything, we should be keeping them and building around them by getting more players who can do that role equally well or even better. It's Matic and Pogba we should be worried about. Matic is approaching retirement and that is understandable. Pogba, on the other hand, is a question mark. But I'll leave that for another thread.

Son

Fred is easily one of our best players and has been for nearly two seasons now.

Possesses the best in game management on the field atm for us when we are up against it.

He puts out all the little fires and keeps it simple when the other side presses us. Get a deep lying playmaker next to him & u know Fred will find them with simple passes which is all we need him to do when he gets the ball.

Deery

Dreary
Hard to believe that performing as probably the best player at United over the course of a year gets you labelled awful..

Levenstein

Hard to believe that performing as probably the best player at United over the course of a year gets you labelled awful..
Some people don't see the bigger picture in the game. He affects the game so much with his pressing and movement. Also plays very smart and direct passes. Our overall team movement and positioning just haven't helped him much. Gladly he is improving and everyone else around him.

romufc

Yes they were brilliant players, were not first choice in most games but Fergie brought them in when he needed the team to fight. Okay, so what if Deeney said that? they got relegated which shows their tactics worked really well...

Can you point to one poster who has compared Fred to Scholes, because you are making a load of crap up right now.

Finally, peoples standards haven't dropped, fans are just not deluded like you. This is where we are as a club right now, until we start getting consistency we are not winning the league and players like Fred are very useful to us.

Believe it or not, players like Oshea and them were not lauded when they first came in, its what they achieved. Fred has shown improvement every season.

Martialfc

Yes they were brilliant players, were not first choice in most games but Fergie brought them in when he needed the team to fight. Okay, so what if Deeney said that? they got relegated which shows their tactics worked really well...

Can you point to one poster who has compared Fred to Scholes, because you are making a load of crap up right now.

Finally, peoples standards haven't dropped, fans are just not deluded like you. This is where we are as a club right now, until we start getting consistency we are not winning the league and players like Fred are very useful to us.

Believe it or not, players like Oshea and them were not lauded when they first came in, its what they achieved. Fred has shown improvement every season.
“This is where we are as a club right now” hmmm I wonder why? It’s because we watch dross like Fred and Lingard every week and accept it. We are like Liverpool under Hodgson. If we accept mediocre players we will be mediocre. There’s a reason why we haven’t won the league since 2013 it’s because of the players we’ve bought. They simply aren’t good enough to play for united. Mctominay, Fred, Lingard, Shaw, Bailey, Pogba, Lindelof, Martial are all regular starters for us. Ask yourself would they get into the city or Liverpool team? The answer is no. We are so far behind it’s unture and until people accept that nothing will change.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I see a little bit of Kante in him. Even when Kante was on his peak he was not for everyone. Some disliked him.

I personally like both. Essential to any team at the very least as a squad option.
Kante at his best was a few levels above.

Fred is good but the issue with him is that he is technically inconsistent - he swings between impressive and sloppy far more than a 25/27 year old should. One minute he'll play a nice first time pass to release the attack, and the next he'll give the ball away outside our own box. Hence he thrives in games where grit etc is the order of the day rather than games we look to dominate.

That, given he is not a rock defensively, makes for a player who could be excellent but isn't. Right now he's basically a terrific harrying/pressing CM who can technically be good as well.

As a squad option, I agree that he's very good indeed.

Ekeke

Why would he? Liverpool's midfielders are there to keep the shape, not press and leave the space exposing their CBs

Fletcher was very good in big matches, similar to Ander. Against teams we should be beating he wasn't quite as useful but if we were playing one of our rivals you knew he wouldnt let the opponents outplay him. Other than the game raising for those matches I think Fred is similar but obviously Fletcher was a lot more physical

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's funny. How people club Fletcher, Park and Brown with O'Shea is funny. Firstly O'Shea was excellent as a young player, like really superb. But as he went on he was purely effort and versatility. On the other hand, Fletcher was a really good footballer and would be our best CM if he played for us today. Park was again a quality footballer whose image only goes down when compared to the likes of Giggs, Ronaldo etc. Brown was hampered by injuries but really high quality defender.

There's this misconception on the caf that these players were average or alright. O'Shea, possibly, but our best squad players were really good footballers back then. Whereas now people pretend that every team needs many mediocre footballers to fill the squad. It's not the case.

romufc

“This is where we are as a club right now” hmmm I wonder why? It’s because we watch dross like Fred and Lingard every week and accept it. We are like Liverpool under Hodgson. If we accept mediocre players we will be mediocre. There’s a reason why we haven’t won the league since 2013 it’s because of the players we’ve bought. They simply aren’t good enough to play for united. Mctominay, Fred, Lingard, Shaw, Bailey, Pogba, Lindelof, Martial are all regular starters for us. Ask yourself would they get into the city or Liverpool team? The answer is no. We are so far behind it’s unture and until people accept that nothing will change.
Ask yourself this, would have Vidic, Evra got into the City team back then when we signed them? No.

Because the players we bought? Reason is because of fans like you who think Manutd are all about signing the best players.

Under Fergie, we did not sign the best players, we signed the best talents, football has changed, teams have alot more money so they do not have to sell their players. The moment you realise we are not in 2010, reality will hit you.

Fred was wanted by City. Lingard is a regular starter? since when?

Ask yourself will Ferran Torres, Zinchenko get in our team?

Glorio

Lingard and Bailey are regular starters for us? Not one for actual facts are you? I hear The Sun are hiring

Martialfc

Ask yourself this, would have Vidic, Evra got into the City team back then when we signed them? No.

Because the players we bought? Reason is because of fans like you who think Manutd are all about signing the best players.

Under Fergie, we did not sign the best players, we signed the best talents, football has changed, teams have alot more money so they do not have to sell their players. The moment you realise we are not in 2010, reality will hit you.

Fred was wanted by City. Lingard is a regular starter? since when?

Ask yourself will Ferran Torres, Zinchenko get in our team?
You’re completely missing the point. I don’t care how much we spend on players. I’d rather us buy a £6m Chicarito than a £50m Martial. Vidic was voted the best premier league defender of all time. So yes he would get into the city team regardless of when he was signed.

I was against the signing of Sanchez and other Falcao and the rest of overpaid idiots. Fred wanted by City? Probably a ploy to boost his price so we look like mugs. Mission accomplished Pep well done.

Yes, Lingard has over 130 appearances for united so you can’t argue that he hasn’t been a regular starter for us. Recently no but in the past yes.

Would Ferran Torres get in our team? I think he would this season atleast he’d run instead of Martial waiting for the ball all game.

It’s fans like you which is why we are in the mess we are in. Get used to watching Liverpool and City loft the title because it won’t be us any time soon.

romufc

You’re completely missing the point. I don’t care how much we spend on players. I’d rather us buy a £6m Chicarito than a £50m Martial. Vidic was voted the best premier league defender of all time. So yes he would get into the city team regardless of when he was signed.

I was against the signing of Sanchez and other Falcao and the rest of overpaid idiots. Fred wanted by City? Probably a ploy to boost his price so we look like mugs. Mission accomplished Pep well done.

Yes, Lingard has over 130 appearances for united so you can’t argue that he hasn’t been a regular starter for us. Recently no but in the past yes.

Would Ferran Torres get in our team? I think he would this season atleast he’d run instead of Martial waiting for the ball all game.

It’s fans like you which is why we are in the mess we are in. Get used to watching Liverpool and City loft the title because it won’t be us any time soon.
No, I am not missing the point you are. Vidic was voted that after he left the club. There were also players that Fergie signed who were not good enough either... not sure you remember them with your selective memory.

So, Phil Jones was a Fergie signing, is he a great player? Veron?

So now all of a sudden Martial isnt good enough and you think Ferran is better. THis is the level of fans we have now, the reason why fans are toxic.

No, I actually understand that we are not entitled to win the league, we have to earn it which means better board, better hierarchy, better coach, better players, better tactics. Its not just about players,.

MS4

When i see your nickname, i guess you started watching football or United when Martial joined us. Am i right? - I can't think of anything different.
Liverpool has conceded 16 goals, the worst team has 17. - Liverpool are so gonna win the title yes - they are declining since start of 2020
Wijdnaldum, shaqiri, philips, gomez - are all mediocore and play regularly for pool

City is also only place 10 and we are only 2 points behind them - yea they are totally dominating this year

When Martial is waiting for the ball, it's because he is told you. Even in amateur football, if a played did not do what he is told to, he would get subbed within a half. (Like Balotelli)

Remember the geese

Mate, you are aware of your username aren't you?

romufc

When i see your nickname, i guess you started watching football or United when Martial joined us. Am i right? - I can't think of anything different.
Liverpool has conceded 16 goals, the worst team has 17. - Liverpool are so gonna win the title yes - they are declining since start of 2020
Wijdnaldum, shaqiri, philips, gomez - are all mediocore and play regularly for pool

City is also only place 10 and we are only 2 points behind them - yea they are totally dominating this year

When Martial is waiting for the ball, it's because he is told you. Even in amateur football, if a played did not do what he is told to, he would get subbed within a half. (Like Balotelli)

This is the biggest problem with our fan base. They do not understand that not 23 players have to be WC for a title winning team.

Klopp would get this team challenging, maybe he will add 1/2 players which tells me its not the players that are the problem.

We have alot more problems than just the players.