Free transfer galore from January and onwards

D4X73r

I think they refinanced the deal to pay him more money but didn't extend the term the last 2 times or something.
Sorry for the stupid question, but why give a player more money and not extend his contract? What's the deal with this kind of negotiation?

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Pep will run back to Barca before Messi plays for City.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
We'd be stupid if we didn't go for those guys. They are basically playing right in our backyard. We just have to get them.
And they tend to be quite cheap. Which is a nice add on. Brandt for example has a release clause next year. It's rumored to be at about 12,5 million euros.
which in todays market for a player with his potential is an absolute bargain

Robbo*

Reina
Rafinha - Miranda - Gimenez - Ghoulam
Llorente - Goretzka
Robben - Messi - Isco
Sanchez​
Assume Isco will be offered a new contract before this becomes possible. Giminez interesting if there's a chance.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Young will finally leave the club it seems. Can't believe he's lasted that long.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Sorry for the stupid question, but why give a player more money and not extend his contract? What's the deal with this kind of negotiation?
Because it's Messi. He has the power there.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I expect most of these players to sign new deals soon but with the way transfer fees have exploded recently I will not be surprised if a few of them run their contracts down and get incredible deals from their new clubs. Players like Sanchez or Ozil are worth £50m or more in the market, they can comfortably get clubs to pay them ridiculous salary well above £10m a year, probably even £20m, because that saves them the massive transfer fee they would have otherwise needed to pay. Football will be moving toward players running their deals down anyway, I feel.

Messi is a £200m player. I will be surprised if his next deal is not worth close to that, be it at Barcelona or anywhere else.

tomaldinho1

If he does come to the PL I've got a feeling he might like the idea of Chelsea. Abramovich can surely offer him something comparable to City or United and he will get to live in London (which always seems a huge preference for the Latin American/Spanish players).

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I would love Messi to come to the PL even if it's city. Would freshen things up. Total fantasy but imagine if Ronaldo came back to united. They'd relive the Messi Ronaldo rivalry through City and United now! Would eclipse the Classico maybe!

Macern

Pee pee pants
I would love Messi to come to the PL even if it's city. Would freshen things up. Total fantasy but imagine if Ronaldo came back to united. They'd relive the Messi Ronaldo rivalry through City and United now! Would eclipse the Classico maybe!
You would actually love to see City aquire the best or second best player in the world? That's absolutely mental!

iKnowNothing

https://www.transfermarkt.com/statistik/endendevertraege
From our team: Ander Herrera, Juan Mata, Luke Shaw, Daley Blind, Marouane Fellaini, Zlatan Ibrahimovic, and Ashley Young. You'd imagine the first 4, maybe 5, will get extensions soon.
I wonder how we got to the point where we let all of those players into the last year of their contracts.

Does the club have an option to exercise an additional year's extension with these players?

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Come to think about it, he won't leave Barcelona anyway. Why would he bother learning a new language and moving his young family, for a little more money, which they're probably gonna offer him anyway.

He is 30. He has won everything there is to win at club level. 2 trebles. I don't know how many Ballon D'or, he is revered, venerated even, lives in a nice city. Why would he be arsed really?

A bit like Gruber's apocryphal quote in Die Hard:

And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I wonder how we got to the point where we let all of those players into the last year of their contracts.

Does the club have an option to exercise an additional year's extension with these players?
Somebody mentioned earlier within the thread we have the option to exercise an additional year for Shaw, Herrera, and Blind.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Come to think about it, he won't leave Barcelona anyway. Why would he bother learning a new language and moving his young family, for a little more money, which they're probably gonna offer him anyway.

He is 30. He has won everything there is to win at club level. 2 trebles. I don't know how many Ballon D'or, he is revered, venerated even, lives in a nice city. Why would he be arsed really?
One thing I've been thinking lately:

He is seeing his team slowly but surely fall apart around him, seemingly getting a bit weaker every season (while their greatest rivals get stronger). If he stays at Barca but Real Madrid keep winning everything, he won't be winning the Ballon d'Or again. With Ronaldo almost certain to win the 2017 Ballon d'Or, that brings him level with Messi at 5 each. With Real Madrid looking like they will be the stronger team over the next few years, there is suddenly a distinct possibility that come the end of their careers Ronaldo will have won more than him, which significantly hurts Messi's legacy of GOAT. As such there is a possibility Messi may want to get out and start somewhere else so he won't be in direct competition with Ronaldo and the Real Madrid machine, which could boost his chances of winning more Ballon d'Ors as long as he leads his new team to the league title and minimum semi-final of CL.

Ultimately I think he will stay at Barca, but I am starting to wonder...

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
One thing I've been thinking lately:

He is seeing his team slowly but surely fall apart around him, seemingly getting a bit weaker every season (while their greatest rivals get stronger). If he stays at Barca but Real Madrid keep winning everything, he won't be winning the Ballon d'Or again. With Ronaldo almost certain to win the 2017 Ballon d'Or, that brings him level with Messi at 5 each. With Real Madrid looking like they will be the stronger team over the next few years, there is suddenly a distinct possibility that come the end of their careers Ronaldo will have won more than him, which significantly hurts Messi's legacy of GOAT. As such there is a possibility Messi may want to get out and start somewhere else so he won't be in direct competition with Ronaldo and the Real Madrid machine, which could boost his chances of winning more Ballon d'Ors as long as he leads his new team to the league title and minimum semi-final of CL.

Ultimately I think he will stay at Barca, but I am starting to wonder...
I personally believe that there is a point in a man's life where the comfort of his family will matter more. As a man going into his thirties, I think he owes them more than (to) his legacy.

Red_toad

Reina
Rafinha - Miranda - Gimenez - Ghoulam
Llorente - Goretzka
Robben - Messi - Isco
Sanchez​
Would love those 3 at United.

I'd hope most realistic one would be Goretzka and he looks an ideal Jose type player, big, strong, good engine, works his socks off and very talented, upgrade on Fellaini. Would give us some serious depth and competition in midfield, can't believe they've allowed his contract to be almost up.

KN5

A bit like Gruber's apocryphal quote in Die Hard:

And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer.
I too doubt he'd move however, a little more money? Especially because he'd be on a free he will be offered atleast double what he's on now. He's not just top 2 of this generation, he's literally one of the greatest players EVER and still doing it at a level higher than anyone bar Ronaldo.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
There's no signing fee, we'd give him whatever he wants. They're still subject to financial restrictions. Neymar was 220+ 250. Messi could be 200-250 on a 4 year contract. That's affordable.

No signing fee for Barcelona I mean.
I think Messi would expect a £100m+ signing on fee. Easy.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Messi incredibly. Can you imagine the meltdown if Barcelona lose him on a free?
Imagine if Messi just refuses to sign a contract. Offering even £2m a week would be feasible as he'd go for at least £300m I'd say, so it'd be worth it if they come to sell him next summer.

DarkXaero

I really, really don't understand this mindset. You'd want Messi at City and have City dominate the league over us for 3-4 years?

DarkXaero

Barca have had Messi for the last 3-4 years. Don't see them dominating.
Barca have 2 La Liga titles and 1 CL in the last 3 years, including a treble season. And that's in a league with a superteam like Real Madrid, who are atm the world's best.

Trizy

Messi won't be free though. He'll have a massive signing bonus that could be anything from 10-100m depending on what he wants.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Messi won't be free though. He'll have a massive signing bonus that could be anything from 10-100m depending on what he wants.
He's about as free as the BPITW gets. You still get a signing on bonus with a normal transfer also.