[Free Transfers] Player Contracts that expire Summer 2021

Acole9

Outstanding
Di Maria is apparently desperate to come back to Manchester and misses the fans so I expect this deal to be done pretty quickly.

Bondi77

Di Maria is apparently desperate to come back to Manchester and misses the fans so I expect this deal to be done pretty quickly.
I hear kennels are cheap to rent in Manchester so that should be a perfect fit for Di Maria.

croadyman

Milik-Cavani attacking duo, straight outta Napoli. <3

But actually, Milik is a bit injury-prone and his knees are sensitive. Hysaj would be a good signing, if he'd find his prime form - very good attacking RB and superb crossing.

I'd avoid Alaba because he isn't motivated anymore. I think he is going to City with immense wages.

Ramos would be lethal. The mentality would change drastically and we'd be title contenders. Although, who would take the penalties then?
Yeah a couple of years of Ramos would be immense and my dream CB signing but never gonna happen in a million years.

Giggsy13

From that list - Depay, Alaba and Ramos would be my top 3. I didn’t bother with Messi, as he looks dead set to city or PSG.

croadyman

From that list - Depay, Alaba and Ramos would be my top 3. I didn’t bother with Messi, as he looks dead set to city or PSG.
Unless Utd have a sudden change of heart about Alaba's wage demands then don't see us going in for him, in regards to Depay I think that ship has sailed now but Ramos would be the ultimate free transfer on that list but seems impossible

Tallis

Signing Puig as a prospect would be sweet. Need to help him develop his physicality and perhaps 1-2 loan spells and we could have a terrific mid field player in 2 years time.

Ollie Derbyshire

We should go for Ramos and Alaba for CB & CDM, worth a punt to give Axel and the new Ecuador lad some time to get minutes before taking over in a year or two.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Commentator for palace v Leicester just said he heard we're interested in taking Evans back. Honestly would be a good signing. Should never have let him go. He's an excellent ball playing defender and his only problem before was the injuries. Getting rid of Rojo/Jones/Bailly and bringing in Evans, he'd be an instant starter, albeit short term at his age.

Giggsy13

Unless Utd have a sudden change of heart about Alaba's wage demands then don't see us going in for him, in regards to Depay I think that ship has sailed now but Ramos would be the ultimate free transfer on that list but seems impossible
I feel like Depay would thrive in this United team. He unfortunately had the terrible luck of playing for LVG and Mourinho but you’re probably right in that the likelihood of a return is slim to none.

Alaba would be the perfect signing and is arguably world class in two positions. It’s too bad we’re put off by his wages.

NoPace

This will sound like a joke but we should go hard after Messi.

Rashford-------Martial---------------Messi
----------------------Bruno------------------------------
----Fred/VDB -----------DM/McTominay------

with (one last year of) Cavani and Greenwood, James and Diallo backing up the attackers is great depth and balance. Mata back to Spain (hell Valencia could use him with where they're at now) and Pellistri on loan getting 30 starts somewhere.

The other interesting names are:

Alaba - perfect fit as our LCB next to Maguire. The papers say we don't want to break the wage structure and pay Alaba 200+ a week, but MEN has Martial at 250 and De Gea at 375 and Maguire at 190 so unclear how this changes our structure at all? Hell, if these numbers are right, we can afford Alaba by shifting Lingard, Ighalo and Rojo if we pay half their wages while doing so to entice some teams lower down the table or abroad to take them on. Alaba is 28, odds are he has a nice 3-5 years left as a top CB.

Thauvin - A thing you don't see much in the free transfer market is a guy signing a big 1-2 year deal then being able to go back out on the free transfer market. Thauvin could sign a 2 year deal to compete with teenagers Greenwood and Diallo as our starting right winger, get some playing time in for a top team, then move on a free at 29 back to France or to a Europa league or CL non-contender instead of doing so now, though maybe a CL contender will want him as their #2 right winger (depth always low there cuz less left-footers) like the rumoured Leicester, for whom he'd probably start when they play 4 at the back and compete with Harvey Barnes for the one winger spot (Maddison tucks in on the other side) when they don't.

Hysaj - not to us, but Simeone has apparently wanted him for years so might grease the wheels of Trippier coming to us for cheap to give us the offensive RB we need to challenge Wan-Bissaka and play RWB when we got 3 at the back. I'd prefer a younger option, but if the price is right this makes sense for a couple years.

spacetoonlover

Ramos is the top of the list for me. I don't think he's the best "defender" in the world in terms in defense skills but I highly rate him for his influence on the pitch. he's a warrior and leader. he's a great figure to organize the defense and to hold the team together as a whole. he might be a high class cnut but he's the type you hate when it plays for other teams and you love to have in yours. couple of years in here while we're building our shaky defense would be great.
second choice would Aguero. I know his injury record has been bad lately but I think it'll worth the gamble for one or two season. imagine how much would city and their fans would feel if that gamble pays off and if not then we won't be losing much as a free transfer.
third would alaba as it will help us fill obvious gaps in the team but i'm pretty sure he'd pick the highest bidder which might not be us unfortunately.
the rest of the list are too old, unnecessary or not better than what we already have anyway

RUCK4444

Ramos and Alaba, would improve us immeasurably.

We should seriously be looking at those.

In fairness I would take a 40 year old Ramos because... Ramos :drool: :drool:

croadyman

Ramos and Alaba, would improve us immeasurably.

We should seriously be looking at those.

In fairness I would take a 40 year old Ramos because... Ramos :drool: :drool:
They definitely would but seems Utd are sticking to their guns on the Alaba one which is madness because there are players on the payroll who are on far too much who could be shifted to make room for him, in regards to Ramos that is the ultimate CB signing for me but think our hopes went in 2015 and fully expecting him to sign new deal with Real soon.

croadyman

Ramos is the top of the list for me. I don't think he's the best "defender" in the world in terms in defense skills but I highly rate him for his influence on the pitch. he's a warrior and leader. he's a great figure to organize the defense and to hold the team together as a whole. he might be a high class cnut but he's the type you hate when it plays for other teams and you love to have in yours. couple of years in here while we're building our shaky defense would be great.
second choice would Aguero. I know his injury record has been bad lately but I think it'll worth the gamble for one or two season. imagine how much would city and their fans would feel if that gamble pays off and if not then we won't be losing much as a free transfer.
third would alaba as it will help us fill obvious gaps in the team but i'm pretty sure he'd pick the highest bidder which might not be us unfortunately.
the rest of the list are too old, unnecessary or not better than what we already have anyway
Surely he would never play for us after 9 years with our big city rivals

RUCK4444

They definitely would but seems Utd are sticking to their guns on the Alaba one which is madness because there are players on the payroll who are on far too much who could be shifted to make room for him, in regards to Ramos that is the ultimate CB signing for me but think our hopes went in 2015 and fully expecting him to sign new deal with Real soon.
Yeah agree on both points sadly.

Alaba would be awesome for his versatility and seems a player who has a lot of years left in him yet.

I’d love Ramos but agree the ship has sailed. I hope if he does leave Madrid that we make a serious offer to him though.

croadyman

Yeah agree on both points sadly.

Alaba would be awesome for his versatility and seems a player who has a lot of years left in him yet.

I’d love Ramos but agree the ship has sailed. I hope if he does leave Madrid that we make a serious offer to him though.
Yeah would want us right at the front of the queue if the unthinkable did indeed happen, pity he hasn't got that same desire for a new challenge that Thiago had isn't it.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Why are we so determined not to pay him decent wages when we have plenty of underperformers on far too much
I think the typical one-year deal with option to extend is probably the right way to go, it minimises the risk.

If United can't somehow get someone like Konate or Upamecano then Alaba is not a bad option at all.

croadyman

I think the typical one-year deal with option to extend is probably the right way to go, it minimises the risk.

If United can't somehow get someone like Konate or Upamecano then Alaba is not a bad option at all.
He is a top drawer option but try telling United that, apparently we have reservations about signing Upamecano and looking elsewhere but in regards to Konate there doesn't look to be any interest in him at all

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
From the realistic options from the OPs list, I would like to have Milik and Alaba. Milik is a very good goal scorer who has matured quite a bit in Italy. He also is a real 9 who brings something else than what we currently have. Im not saying he will shoot for the stars here but he would be a great options to have. Alaba is a no-brainer if he is interested to come.. Massive qualitiy upgrade in our defense with still some good years to come!

Messi, Garcia, Wijnaldum, Aguero, Ramos wont come. Depay may have the quality if we play him in a certain role, but United shouldnt want that with the attacking players who are already here. Donnaruma wont leave Milan in the end I think. Bernat is not a significant upgrade over Shaw and Telles. Puig needs another club where he gets more minutes from the start to really develop and reach his potential. I think Modric and Boateng are too much over the top to be worth the investment.. The rest I havent seen enough recently to actually have a solid opinion on..

Outsider option: Brian Brobbey (young Ajax striker) is also out of contract at the end of this season. He has stated he wants to stay at Ajax mulitple times, but the contract renewal is taking a really long time still.. He has always been rated very high in his youth and has done quite well in the minutes he has gotten so far. Downside: Raiola.

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Alaba would be the perfect signing and is arguably world class in two positions. It’s too bad we’re put off by his wages.
I assume CB is the second position you‘re talking about? He hasn‘t been world class at CB for 2 years. As a Bayern supporter I am by now happy when he has a good/okay match at CB.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Outsider option: Brian Brobbey (young Ajax striker) is also out of contract at the end of this season. He has stated he wants to stay at Ajax mulitple times, but the contract renewal is taking a really long time still.. He has always been rated very high in his youth and has done quite well in the minutes he has gotten so far. Downside: Raiola.
Juventus it is then.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Wouldn’t be at all surprised if we offered Josh King a 1 year deal or something.

DanClancy

Juve's policy of signing free transfers should be a lesson to everyone else, giving players wages their not worth is going to do anything for the morale of existing players and that's without getting into the problems its going to cause the club with contract re-negations .

BFernandes

You could make a seriously good 11 out of them

Hysaj would be a really shrewd one and would add a good amount of quality and depth to RB

NoPace

You could make a seriously good 11 out of them

Hysaj would be a really shrewd one and would add a good amount of quality and depth to RB
I think he's redundant with Wan-Bissaka, better defensively than going forward. I want a proper passer and RWB option there.

BFernandes

----------------------Donnarumma----------------------
Hysaj-------Ramos---------Boateng-------Alaba
---------------------Martinez-----------------------
-------Wiljnaldum------------Draxler----------
-------Messi--------Milik---------------Depay

How would that cope in the Premier League?