Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedMilo

Just read an article in Telegraph from 30 minutes ago (Mike McGrath) saying he prefers Chelsea as 1st option - sorry dont have the link.

Tweek

I can't get beyond the paywall :wenger:

Are there any direct quotes from the player saying he prefers Chelsea?
12ft.io is your friend.

There is nothing in that article at all. Just says FDJ prefers Chelsea if the move happens towards the end of the window. No quotes. Mentions our involvement too. Half the article is about Petr Cech leaving when Abramovich left.

It is fluff to fill space on their website.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Why is everyone confident about this now? I can't find the relevant news with all the de Jong masturbation

Edit - Oh, it's down to a shite Sport article and pure untreated muppetry, I see
Oh don't be such a grump grump. Believe!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I was guilty of not reading the full article as I don't have a sub. What was it based on?
Frenkie de Jong has indicated that Chelsea is his preferred destination should a move to the Premier League materialise in the final weeks of the summer transfer window.

The Barcelona midfielder, 25, has been a target for Manchester United to be reunited with Erik ten Hag, who he worked with at Ajax, but it is understood he has made it clear Stamford Bridge is his first choice.

His situation at Barca has been complicated by the Holland international being owed more than £17 million in wages deferred during the coronavirus pandemic and bonuses from the £12m-a-season contract at the Nou Camp.

Barca are open to De Jong leaving this window if a compromise is reached and any move is likely to cost around £55m, which United were prepared to pay earlier in the summer before a move stalled. They wanted him in their key No 6 position under Ten Hag, who builds play from a deep-lying midfielder.

With United in the Europa League and uncertainty over whether they will challenge for the top four, Chelsea can offer Champions League football to the Dutchman as new chairman Todd Boehly looks to shape a squad for Thomas Tuchel.

Raheem Sterling, Kalidou Koulibaly and Marc Cucurella have all arrived this summer, while Carney Chukwuemeka is a central midfielder for the future who will be with the first team this season. Tuchel would like to add a player such as De Jong to compete in central midfield with Jorginho, N’golo Kante and Mateo Kovacic, while discussions remain ongoing around a move for Barcelona striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.

Tuchel has been heavily involved in Chelsea's recruitment this summer, with Boehly acting as interim sporting director.

Technical director Petr Cech opted to leave the club at the end of the Roman Abramovich era and Tuchel has admitted the former goalkeeper's departure has left a gap off the field.

"We miss Petr a lot; I saw him in the last days and he knows from me directly that we miss him a lot," said Tuchel.

"I know a lot of people miss him a lot. He was on a daily basis here in the training centre and he was the person who lived the values and attitude of what it takes to be a top competitor for Chelsea day by day.

"He was a huge help for me, an enormous support I never experienced before in his kind of honesty. Maybe this is his key quality. In all his effort he is humble and super honest.

"It was a fantastic relationship but we have to respect his decision. Maybe now we need to sort things out, everything is new, the line of communication is new, everybody needs to step up in the staff, not only me, in responsibility."

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Why is everyone confident about this now? I can't find the relevant news with all the de Jong masturbation

Edit - Oh, it's down to a shite Sport article and pure untreated muppetry, I see
In my opinion, it's more to do with Van De Kraans first report were going to go back in for him this week for one last push and Sport who've completely ignored us as an option in all their reporting, now acknowledging we're in the mix. It ain't much, but it's certainly a narrative shift.

Tweek

I was guilty of not reading the full article as I don't have a sub. What was it based on?
It was based on Mike McGrath needing to meet his online article quota for the day/week.

It just echos the reports about FDJ wanting Chelsea but there are no quotes, no evidence, no nothing, just that statement you copied. Then, completely unreleated to FDJ, he spirals off and talks about Petr Cech for 4 paragraphs.

Probably not one to read into.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Frenkie de Jong has indicated that Chelsea is his preferred destination should a move to the Premier League materialise in the final weeks of the summer transfer window.

The Barcelona midfielder, 25, has been a target for Manchester United to be reunited with Erik ten Hag, who he worked with at Ajax, but it is understood he has made it clear Stamford Bridge is his first choice.

His situation at Barca has been complicated by the Holland international being owed more than £17 million in wages deferred during the coronavirus pandemic and bonuses from the £12m-a-season contract at the Nou Camp.

Barca are open to De Jong leaving this window if a compromise is reached and any move is likely to cost around £55m, which United were prepared to pay earlier in the summer before a move stalled. They wanted him in their key No 6 position under Ten Hag, who builds play from a deep-lying midfielder.

With United in the Europa League and uncertainty over whether they will challenge for the top four, Chelsea can offer Champions League football to the Dutchman as new chairman Todd Boehly looks to shape a squad for Thomas Tuchel.

Raheem Sterling, Kalidou Koulibaly and Marc Cucurella have all arrived this summer, while Carney Chukwuemeka is a central midfielder for the future who will be with the first team this season. Tuchel would like to add a player such as De Jong to compete in central midfield with Jorginho, N’golo Kante and Mateo Kovacic, while discussions remain ongoing around a move for Barcelona striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.

Tuchel has been heavily involved in Chelsea's recruitment this summer, with Boehly acting as interim sporting director.

Technical director Petr Cech opted to leave the club at the end of the Roman Abramovich era and Tuchel has admitted the former goalkeeper's departure has left a gap off the field.

"We miss Petr a lot; I saw him in the last days and he knows from me directly that we miss him a lot," said Tuchel.

"I know a lot of people miss him a lot. He was on a daily basis here in the training centre and he was the person who lived the values and attitude of what it takes to be a top competitor for Chelsea day by day.

"He was a huge help for me, an enormous support I never experienced before in his kind of honesty. Maybe this is his key quality. In all his effort he is humble and super honest.

"It was a fantastic relationship but we have to respect his decision. Maybe now we need to sort things out, everything is new, the line of communication is new, everybody needs to step up in the staff, not only me, in responsibility."
Whats the old info?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It was based on Mike McGrath needing to meet his online article quota for the day/week.

It just echos the reports about FDJ wanting Chelsea but there are no quotes, no evidence, no nothing, just that statement you copied. Then, completely unreleated to FDJ, he spirals off and talks about Petr Cech for 4 paragraphs.

Probably not one to read into.
Giving quotes/sources away isn't really how it works though. Saying Chelsea are confident is one thing but this is the first credible journalist to outright give a club preference from FdJ's side. Only Harry Redknapp has made such a punt, but that's Harry..

Adam-Utd

Whats the old info?
"understood he's made it clear"

Well that isn't factual at all, it's jure conjecture.

They're just going on what other reports have said.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
"understood he's made it clear"

Well that isn't factual at all, it's jure conjecture.

They're just going on what other reports have said.
Well its what Mike McGrath understands. He's not a knock off journalist.

It's like when Ornstein breaks, he will say "it is understood a deal would be struck soon" for example, people take that as an inevitability because what that journalist understands is likely the way is going.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Giving quotes/sources away isn't really how it works though. Saying Chelsea are confident is one thing but this is the first credible journalist to outright give a club preference from FdJ's side. Only Harry Redknapp has made such a punt, but that's Harry..
The issue is that in the mean time, we are told that Boehly tried to gauge De Jong interest and hasn't managed to get a thing from him. How is it possible that he made his intentions clear but Chelsea aren't aware of it?

Adam-Utd

Well its what Mike McGrath understands. He's not a knock off journalist.

It's like when Ornstein breaks, he will say "it is understood a deal would be struck soon" for example, people take that as an inevitability because what that journalist understands is likely the way is going.
He can believe what he wants, but it's still old news.

Just because it's a new article means nothing, they're parroting the same stuff we heard 2 weeks ago.

At the end of the day nobody actually knows what his choice is until it happens. If Chelsea come in for him with a good offer will he choose them? maybe.

DutchCruijff

It honestly feels as if the Spanish journos are on the nose with this one.

The British journos have no clue, they're relying on what Chelsea is feeding them and they keep spouting the same lines of "London" and "UCL football".

We've go in so late with this now. Surely, with the flurry of reports, he has told United by now that he's not interested in Chelsea otherwise why would we stick around?

Tweek

If you had a source giving you genuine new inside information on a massive story like this, you would not break it in a half-arsed article that covers like three different topics. That shit has 'must meet a word count' written all over it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The issue is that in the mean time, we are told that Boehly tried to gauge De Jong interest and hasn't managed to get a thing from him. How is it possible that he made his intentions clear but Chelsea aren't aware of it?
I haven't kept abreast of every update to be fair, so I can't say. I am just paying attention to both sides of the credible journalists.
Mitten said he was more confident than he was, among 8 other pieces of information related to De Jong. The caf and twitter got excited, and this latest podcast had him angrily reacting to aggregator accounts isolating single quotes and ignoring the rest. He went on to say his job is to give pieces of information, not to give information that people like to hear.

Meanwhile Chelsea journalists appear more confident, although they have only spoken really of how the club is confident without speaking about the player. But this report from a credible journalist speaks of the player intention. Perhaps that's a new development.

He can believe what he wants, but it's still old news.

Just because it's a new article means nothing, they're parroting the same stuff we heard 2 weeks ago.

At the end of the day nobody actually knows what his choice is until it happens. If Chelsea come in for him with a good offer will he choose them? maybe.
Did this journao say the same 2 weeks ago? Or is he now compounding what was previously implied with his own information?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It honestly feels as if the Spanish journos are on the nose with this one.

The British journos have no clue, they're relying on what Chelsea is feeding them and they keep spouting the same lines of "London" and "UCL football".

We've go in so late with this now. Surely, with the flurry of reports, he has told United by now that he's not interested in Chelsea otherwise why would we stick around?
He could be interested in both and ready to talk seriously with both when his situation at Barcelona is settled.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If you had a source giving you genuine new inside information on a massive story like this, you would not break it in a half-arsed article that covers like three different topics. That shit has 'must meet a word count' written all over it.
Also true to be fair

DutchCruijff

He could be interested in both and ready to talk seriously with both when his situation at Barcelona is settled.
I really doubt he will have strung United along like this. I really doubt it.

After the recent flurry of reports, United must have asked for assurances.

Chelsea have yet to even make a bid.

Status
Not open for further replies.