Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jibbs

We won't even get Rice's left boot and Tielemans used jersey for that.
We may not get but we should not be paying more than that for Frankie. I’d rather we Kamara for free or players like Edson Alvarez, Konrad Laimer etc for 20 odd millions.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We may not get but we should not be paying more than that for Frankie. I’d rather we Kamara for free or players like Edson Alvarez, Konrad Laimer etc for 20 odd millions.
We need ball players, someone who can keep possession when pressed and a ball magnet. De Jong fits it perfectly.

We can sign Kamara for free anyways and we need at least 2 CMs.

gorky_utd

We need ball players, someone who can keep possession when pressed and a ball magnet. De Jong fits it perfectly.

Exactly. If managed properly, fdj and a new DM like kamara can be bought together and it will be a superb business.

Jibbs

Yes, I’d rather we get somebody like Tchouameni or Rice if we spend big money on 2nd CM.

sherrinford

He's basically just repeated what Oriol Domenech said earlier about Barca willing to except €70m. And Domenech is a reliable journo for Barca and has links to Ajax.

Domenech was also the same journo who first reported Barca hijacking de Jong's move to PSG. Its been said Domenech's source was Overmars at Ajax.

The midfield composition below is something that has big potential imo.

-----------Tchouameni------
de Jong-------------------Hannibal

All three players are more than capable of dropping in as the 3rd CB in the build up phase. But Hannibal is obviously not as experienced in that regard as yet. But with that sort of midfield, controlling the offensive and defensive transition in a compact high block is a real possibility with a bit of work on the training ground and raising the level of the fullbacks.
You won't get the best out of De Jong setting up like that. He is a first function midfielder - playing him in any configuration where he is not generally the deepest centre mid is using him out of position.

NewYorkRed

He is good but only if we can get him around 30, 35 million. Not a penny more.
Do you mean because of what you expect our budget to be or is that what you value him at?

I think we’ll have a large budget. We spend more when we miss out on the CL.

He’s also worth around 85-100 mil imo and we have no chance of getting him unless he really loves ETH.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You won't get the best out of De Jong setting up like that. He is a first function midfielder - playing him in any configuration where he is not generally the deepest centre mid is using him out of position.
He's a first function midfielder in offensive transition and not defensive transition. It's why ten Hag converted the more attack minded Lasse Schone into a more positionally disciplined midfielder next to him.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Doubt we'd be able to afford both. If we get FDJ it would be Fred, Mctominay, VDB, Garner, FDJ and Bruno for 3 midfield spots. We also need to sign forward players who cost more and that we're lacking considering Cavani, Lingard and Mata going with Martial and Greenwood uncertain. The DM signing might then be a cheaper player.
We are likely to sign Antony for 50m as ETH really rates him. Adding to that one top midfield signing for 60m (FDJ or Tchouameni), we need another midfielder for less (maybe Kamara for free?), and one forward signing for 60m (Nkunku or Nunez).

Well if we manage to get Kamara for free, we can have funds to add another defender, which we badly need as our defence has been shocking this season.

sherrinford

He's a first function midfielder in offensive transition and not defensive transition. It's why ten Hag converted the more attack minded Lasse Schone into a more positionally disciplined midfielder next to him.
So you... agree that's not ideal for him?

Schone played next to him, as a second function midfielder in a 4-2-3-1 - the no.8 to De Jong's no.6. De Jong was the deepest midfielder when Ajax had the ball, and when they did not (which is what I'm assuming you mean by offensive and defensive transition as you only mention the two phases of play).

reddevilz007

De Jong for 58, and Laimer for 15 mil (he will have one year left on his contract) wouldn’t be too shabby

JeffFromHK

Frenkie is worth 70M+ doesn't mean we need to pay Barca 70+M for him. If Barcelona asks too much from him then we should look for another player.

Just like stocks, we may buy players overpriced or underpriced from time to time.

Ronaldo was never worth 12M even at 36 years old, but we got him at this price
Varane's market value was 50M+ but we got him at 35M.

What matters is smart negotiation skill.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So you... agree that's not ideal for him?

Schone played next to him, as a second function midfielder in a 4-2-3-1 - the no.8 to De Jong's no.6. De Jong was the deepest midfielder when Ajax had the ball, and when they did not (which is what I'm assuming you mean by offensive and defensive transition as you only mention the two phases of play).
Schone played next to him in a double pivot to provide defensive stability without the ball. FdJ was the first functioning midfielder on the ball and slotted in as the additional CB to help build play from the back.

FdJ would again be the first functioning midfielder in possession next to Tchouameni. But Tchouameni would be the primary DM in the defensive transition in a compact high block. So unlike at Barca where Busquets is the first functioning midfielder, de Jong would be the first functioning midfielder on the ball at United in the hypothetical midfield 3 I've put forth.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Schone played next to him in a double pivot to provide defensive stability without the ball. FdJ was the first functioning midfielder on the ball and slotted in as the additional CB to help build play from the back.

FdJ would again be the first functioning midfielder in possession next to Tchouameni. But Tchouameni would be the primary DM in the defensive transition in a compact high block. So unlike at Barca where Busquets is the first functioning midfielder, de Jong would be the first functioning midfielder on the ball at United in the hypothetical midfield 3 I've put forth.
I can see how this works. Tchouameni as the higher up pressing CDM and De Jong as the deeper build up CDM/CB hybrid player.

This is why I've been wondering if a player like Rice wouldn't work with De Jong because Rice will be the deeper player dropping in to the CB'S line rather than De Jong; kind of being what currently Busquets blocks to De Jong at Barcelona.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I can see how this works. Tchouameni as the higher up pressing CDM and De Jong as the deeper build up CDM/CB hybrid player.

This is why I've been wondering if a player like Rice wouldn't work with De Jong because Rice will be the deeper player dropping in to the CB'S line rather than De Jong; kind of being what currently Busquets blocks to De Jong at Barcelona.
All the players have to be involved in the press, apart from the two CBs and maybe one other player depending on formation. And Rice would also have to get involved in pressing high in a ten Hag approach.

And I agree, Rice would be a good choice next to de Jong.

RoyH1

We must be all over him this summer. Barsa’s economic woes are far from over and a good bid from us will be hard for them to accept.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Him and Kamara would be outrageously good replacements for Pogba and Matic. Praying there is truth in this. Heck, even him and Phillips.

reddevilchennai

I would be happy if we can get both Frenkie de Jong and Tchouameni. These two sitting behind Bruno would solve a lot of issues in the team. They will somewhat hide the problems in our FBs. These two along with Anthony would be a perfect window.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
All the players have to be involved in the press, apart from the two CBs and maybe one other player depending on formation. And Rice would also have to get involved in pressing high in a ten Hag approach.

And I agree, Rice would be a good choice next to de Jong.
I think Rice wouldn't work though personally.

Isn't De Jong a player that drops in to the CB to help move the ball forward? Rice kind of does this for West Ham but he is nowhere near offensive or technical as De Jong but more shielding defensively.

How would both of them work? We can't have 2 players dropping in to the defensive line can we?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Yes from several recent reports, if they are believable. ETH rates him highly and thinks he will be a big player in future and wants him at United, while he wish to leave Ajax for Man Utd to play under ETH.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think Rice wouldn't work though personally.

Isn't De Jong a player that drops in to the CB to help move the ball forward? Rice kind of does this for West Ham but he is nowhere near offensive or technical as De Jong but more shielding defensively.

How would both of them work? We can't have 2 players dropping in to the defensive line can we?
Dropping in as the extra CB is to build play from the back and open up extra pass options on the ball. FdJ could do that, and Rice would be a potential pass option.

Off the ball Rice would be the one who is positionally more disciplined, but they would both have to get involved in the press sequence to win the ball back. And if you aren't directly involved in the press, then cutting off passing lanes will be the requirement in a high risk approach.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yes from several recent reports, if they are believable. ETH rates him highly and thinks he will be a big player in future and wants him at United, while he wish to leave Ajax for Man Utd to play under ETH.
Thats a big if. I dont think theres a single tier 1 source saying we are interested in buying Antony?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I would be happy if we can get both Frenkie de Jong and Tchouameni. These two sitting behind Bruno would solve a lot of issues in the team. They will somewhat hide the problems in our FBs. These two along with Anthony would be a perfect window.
We are far from “perfect window” with only these 3 signings, although they are all good signings. And it won’t help Bruno keeping possession anyway under Ten Hag possession football.

AjaxNL

Buying Frenkie and playing him under EtH would absolutely transform United instantly, I am sure of it

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yes, I’d rather we get somebody like Tchouameni or Rice if we spend big money on 2nd CM.
Rice will cost at least twice more than De Jong. We wont sign anyone if we sign Rice.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Rice will cost at least twice more than De Jong. We wont sign anyone if we sign Rice.
Yep, there was a transfer rumor posted on the Caf I think, over the weekend, saying we’re interested in Rice & Kane :lol:

Don’t get me wrong, I rate them as players but the cost involved, and considering the state of our squad. No way in hell.

Ryan_

Lots of positivity in here around De Jong. Interesting one as he’s undoubtedly talented but he hasn’t met expectations at Barcelona, and I don’t think many Barça fans would lose sleep at the prospect of selling him.

On paper he’d be an upgrade on our current midfielders but I think there would be a significant period of adaptation for him to get used to the pace of the Premier League.

Frenkie is also very happy in Barcelona. The only way he leaves is if he’s forced out by the club against his will. I’d be wary of another Di Maria situation where players join us for the wrong reasons. At this stage, I’d take a lesser talented, but more hungry player over a star signing a la Pogba.

Buying Frenkie and playing him under EtH would absolutely transform United instantly, I am sure of it

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Dream transfer but would never happen.
No? Ten Hag most likely wants him; the player is not loved in Barcelona, yesterday was benched and caused a mini-scene and Barca needs the money.

80+variables: a win-win scenario for both clubs and the player.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The player has also said he doesn’t want to leave. That’s gonna make it tricky.
There have been rumors for a little while that his agents have been looking for a possible move if things don't improve at Barca. Maybe they have improved and he is happy to stay now, who knows

L1nk

Think this line is all fan narrative and far from reality personally. Firstly, how can you sign a player who doesn’t want to sign? Every player who signs wants to be there. After that, it’s just a sliding scale from ‘always supported them as a child’ to just doing my job. Doing my job is more the fine. It’s us fans that I fee live in sole sort of delusion.
So Di Maria wanted to be here did he?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
There have been rumors for a little while that his agents have been looking for a possible move if things don't improve at Barca. Maybe they have improved and he is happy to stay now, who knows
His dad said there have been talks with clubs.

He can say that it's his dream club, but I think he'd rather play than be a bench warmer.

Lots of positivity in here around De Jong. Interesting one as he’s undoubtedly talented but he hasn’t met expectations at Barcelona, and I don’t think many Barça fans would lose sleep at the prospect of selling him.

On paper he’d be an upgrade on our current midfielders but I think there would be a significant period of adaptation for him to get used to the pace of the Premier League.

Frenkie is also very happy in Barcelona. The only way he leaves is if he’s forced out by the club against his will. I’d be wary of another Di Maria situation where players join us for the wrong reasons. At this stage, I’d take a lesser talented, but more hungry player over a star signing a la Pogba.
I'd take, Bussquets, Pedri, Gavi, but they're not available and Busquets is too old to sign.

De Jong is being asked to play like VDB. He's good as a no 6, but he's probably at his best in a double pivot next to a destroyer.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
So Di Maria wanted to be here did he?
He didn't mind at first actually, ultimately he preferred to stay at Madrid, but once he knew they didn't want him he was more than happy to come here.

Status
Not open for further replies.