Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDevil@84

Foreign journos are much more bullish than the English ones regarding the chances it happens but the English ones are indeed confirming club interest which would stem directly from ETH
Foreign journos are being well paid by Barca then :D

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
FDJ is a deep lying playmaker. His whole specialty is controlling games. He's the perfect player for a possession based team. He isn't a proper 6 in the mould of a ball winner though which we need badly. We will very much need FDJ and another defensive midfielder which was always the case anyway. I'd be happy with Kamara for the short term since he's free. Also ok with Philips for the prices being suggested even if he is injury prone. Ideally I think we could do with signing both in addition to FDJ since I wouldn't expected either to have a big salary and we wouldn't have to spend much of the budget to get them in.
I agree, think we should target Phillips aswell as FDJ, he won’t cost much either if Leeds are relegated. FDJ could be the one to transform our midfield if ten Hag is looking to play possession football which is more then likely. I think we need to be smart about our business and look into the free transfer markets, there’s some absolute ballers in there and will be able to play without the price tag pressure.

DJ_21

So De Jong is £65m, but Declan Rice is £150m? I’d take two De Jongs with money to spare in the case.

The delusion levels of West Ham and Rice himself is off the fecking charts.
All about being English. Not only do English players cost a lot more but there worse then the foreign players :lol:

tomaldinho1

It's not that simple I think, they don't play in the exact same position. Rice will be overpriced but he is quality and has proven physical attributes for league as a dm. It sounds lazy saying he's premier league proven, but his passing ability and dropping in shouldn't be underestimated. He would improve top two never mind us.
He wouldn’t dislodge either Rodri or Fabinho…not even close. He’d walk into United’s midfield though.

DJ_21

All English players? That have ever played? Bit of a broad statement. But maybe you’re right.
Figure of speech :lol: Obviously some are good but teams are always getting ripped of for English players when there’s much better abroad and cheaper. Like city signing ake 40mil or grealish for 100m could sign at least 2/3 decent players for 100m. obviously city needed English players though so that’s why they overpaid.

crossy1686

career ending
What do you mean? Like we would get some discount?

I don't think so. I believe they want to these sale done early, so they can wrap up their purchase lest other clubs get in the way aka PSG-Wjinaldum last summer. Also to not complicate loan to permanent deal like Adama Traore. Or even reattach O.Dembele

I feel like if these kind of deal doesn't materialize by then, it would be off completely after Barcelona would miss their transfer target
No, as in if Barcelona can't get rid of the players they want to get rid of and balance their books, they will have to sell players they don't really want to sell, like De Jong, which would benefit us.

Abraxas

"The only problem is Xavi wants to keep him"

Sounds like a fairly big one if the player is also unfussed about moving. Whole thing seems like total bollocks to be honest.

If we get him I think we've got to get some solidity in the side too. De Jong to control things, Fred's energy and pressing, and somebody that will support those two and do a solid job would be required.

ElBarto

All for FDJ but my fear is that Bruno will simply undo his good work by not taking care of the ball

Joseunited

"The only problem is Xavi wants to keep him"

Sounds like a fairly big one if the player is also unfussed about moving. Whole thing seems like total bollocks to be honest.

If we get him I think we've got to get some solidity in the side too. De Jong to control things, Fred's energy and pressing, and somebody that will support those two and do a solid job would be required.
He's hardly going to say he's happy to see him go,I'm sure he has said he understands that the board have to make certain decisions in order to be able to make future transfers and De Jong is on a pretty big wage.
Barcelona don't want for good midfielders with Kessie on his way too.

Definitely legs to this story.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
This would have been mine:

Ronaldo (Striker)
Bruno (Wide Playmaker) VDB (Attacking Mid) Sancho (Winger)
De Jong (Libero) Kamara (Deeplying Playmaker)​

Abraxas

He's hardly going to say he's happy to see him go,I'm sure he has said he understands that the board have to make certain decisions in order to be able to make future transfers and De Jong is on a pretty big wage.
Barcelona don't want for good midfielders with Kessie on his way too.

Definitely legs to this story.
Sure but if I'm Xavi and I have a vision of the way I want Barcelona to play, there are probably other players to lose if players must be sold. Not this guy that's a Barcelona player written all over him even if he hasn't always hit the heights or found the right role. I get that he's on a packet, but it just seems to me that if the manager doesn't want him to go, he doesn't really want to go by all accounts, it's not actually that likely. Worth exploring but I'm not optimistic, I'll be amazed if it does happen.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Figure of speech :lol: Obviously some are good but teams are always getting ripped of for English players when there’s much better abroad and cheaper. Like city signing ake 40mil or grealish for 100m could sign at least 2/3 decent players for 100m. obviously city needed English players though so that’s why they overpaid.
Ake? You mean this bloke? :lol:

izec

I think this is happening, if you think about it, there is only one outcome and only one club desperate to pay whatever it takes as we are so shit in midfield + ETH

El-Manos

If he has no interest in coming here we should stay well clear. He's exceptional on his day but we need to sign players that are hungry to prove themselves; I am hoping that he is such an individual.

Abraxas

Looking at Ajax this season and 18/19, I don’t think pace matter in their squad.
We're not Ajax though, in the PL I think he has a point. Generally teams have a cutting edge going forward. Somebody that can break lines, make a run, take someone on. I think dominating possession and creating opportunities in the Dutch league is a very different thing to what will be required here. I think everyone successful at the top end has more dynamism up front than this lineup.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
We're not Ajax though, in the PL I think he has a point. Generally teams have a cutting edge going forward. Somebody that can break lines, make a run, take someone on. I think dominating possession and creating opportunities in the Dutch league is a very different thing.
And the Champions League?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We're not Ajax though, in the PL I think he has a point. Generally teams have a cutting edge going forward. Somebody that can break lines, make a run, take someone on. I think dominating possession and creating opportunities in the Dutch league is a very different thing to what will be required here. I think everyone successful at the top end has more dynamism up front than this lineup.
If that’s the case then we shouldn’t have hire ten Hag. They did it in champions league and it wasn’t an issue. It’s not like we are talking about Mata’s level of pace here.

The pace you are demanding seems to be only good for counter attack system to break opponent high line but they had no issue to beat Dortmund this season with the likes of Tadic and Antony on the wing, Haller as striker and blind as their full back. Play passing move quick football can be effective to break lines and can also effective against team that sit deep.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
What’s this discussion about pace? Do you guys actually watch him at Barca? He has plenty of pace.

Abraxas

And the Champions League?
It's not the same competition as the PL as the games play differently and much of the competition is continental. Nobody plays with such a pedestrian looking forward line at the top end of the PL. Maybe it's possible but it might simply be shooting himself in the foot. Spurs have Son's driving runs, Liverpool have Mane (or any of their forwards in fact), City have Foden and Mahrez who have very underrated speed and agility and can beat people.

I feel we're getting a little carried away with this idea of Dutch possession football when we're putting 2 playmakers that want everything to feet out wide alongside a 38 year old. Needs more balance and I don't think ETH would make this mistake. Even within his own lineup he would play Antony, and it's well known a striker or two will be targeted, so I think it's clear he's never going to fall for this.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Nah he isn't the issue here, far from it - it's Bruno and Sancho on the wings where there's a slight problem.
Ah gotcha, my bad. Yea I can see that being a problem. I am extremely excited this season to see Sancho under ETH btw. I think he will flourish!

I truly hope you guys can make this happen. He would be the answer to your midfield problems and will know exactly how to play under ETH. I’m truly excited because I see it happening. He will pick UTD over PSG anyday (if they come in with a cheeky bid).

L1nk

Shrager coming in to ruin your day a little more

Status
Not open for further replies.