Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocknrolla69er

You do realise this is a Frenkie De Jong page?
You do realise somebody said Mctominay would more than likely partner him to add positional sense.........

Leave off with the pedantic posts eh, it's tiresome and boring, go milk a cow or do something constructive

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It can work if FDJ was to be told to play as the no 6/DM:

VDB-----------Fred
De Jong
He's played like that fairly successfully for both Holland and Barca and he's much better at it than his current attacking role, even if it's not his ideal position. We might line up like that if our other midfield signing picks up an injury or a suspension.
Yes he's a #6 but not a #6 in the sit and shield sort of way. He's a 6 in the Pirlo sort of way. You want one of the 2 midfielders in front to be the more defensively sound guy in that instance, at least positionally to provide stability as De Jong likes moving around. Fred also likes moving around the pitch and isn't positionally sound, so it wouldn't work (Imo). Not a case of one can be a 6 and one can be an 8, a 6 and an 8 can do the same role in 2 different teams but put them together and they would have to change to accomodate the other.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
It can work if FDJ was to be told to play as the no 6/DM:

VDB-----------Fred
De Jong
He's played like that fairly successfully for both Holland and Barca and he's much better at it than his current attacking role, even if it's not his ideal position. We might line up like that if our other midfield signing picks up an injury or a suspension.
I’m not sure that would work, I’d prefer FDJ as a box to box with a solid DM behind him. If he’s box to box then he can run at both ends and do a job attacking and defensively as he his know to track back and has good stamina. Not sure who the 3rd midfielder would be though if we sign 2 mids and play 4-3-3… will it be Bruno or will it be VDB.

USREDEVIL

Am i the only one not fussed about De Jong? I know he's a good player but what i've seen doesn't excite me all that much. Maybe i've not seen enough of him.

laughtersassassin

Why not? Have you seen FDJ play as the 6 for Holland or whenever he's had to replace Busquets? (or as a CB under Koeman?)

To reiterate it's not my preference.
VDB isn't very good at all and Fred shouldn't be a starter either.

He improved but still is a massive liability.

We are self admitted failures over the last few years and Fred's been a major part of it.

BerryBerryShrew

Bayern can feck off!
I'd guess that he'd choose us over Bayern given the EtH connection. Likewise PSG. He might prefer Citeh to us though: he might like to play under Pep, they are a dominant side domestically in the biggest league in the world, and they pay way more than us (off the books).

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I find the combination talk odd, it can work with two attacking midfielders if we play a back 3 or if full backs tuck inside, it depends how the whole team play..

laughtersassassin

I'd guess that he'd choose us over Bayern given the EtH connection. Likewise PSG. He might prefer Citeh to us though: he might like to play under Pep, they are a dominant side domestically in the biggest league in the world, and they pay way more than us (off the books).
Think you might be in for a rude awakening if you think many if any players would choose us over Bayern right now

romufc

New rule on the frankie de Jong page guys, your not allowed to discuss who's best to partner him..........
Right... add it to the rule where a poster has to guess what you are trying to say.

So from your post are you saying McTominay is best to partner him but he is the most unsound player we have.

Not sure how that works with Frenkie who is very sound.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Bayern can feck off!
Nicely said but doubt the player sees it your way.
Bayern got a couple of aces in their hand. Barcelona wants Lewandowski and Munich offers higher living quality than Manchester.
Oh and I almost forgot at Bayern he is guaranteed titles and CL football.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Bayern got a couple of aces in their hand. Barcelona wants Lewandowski and Munich offers higher living quality than Manchester.
With Gravenberch and possibly Laimer there is no room for another midfielder though

ShinjiNinja26

I’m hoping the fact we’ve got ETH will have some pull, he played the best football of his career so far under him after all. Also we’d offer him a nice bag £££. Tbh I’ll be amazed if we do actually sign him though.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
With Gravenberch and possibly Laimer there is no room for another midfielder though
Laimer won't come if FDJ joins. The Gravenberch deal isn't finalized. And even if, he is 19 so he isn't expected to be an immediate first team player. Tolisso and Roca will probably leave both also.

Remember the geese

To be honest, I have no idea why any player would want to play anywhere other than Spain or England. German and French titles are just a bit meh.

cyberman

To be honest, I have no idea why any player would want to play anywhere other than Spain or England. German and French titles are just a bit meh.
Was just thinking the same thing. Honestly cant see the difference in living in Munich v England for a millionaire as well?

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
To be honest too. The CL is still the most precious title to win. He won't win it with Man United next year for sure, with Bayern he got a fair chance.
And regarding to the value of national titles. I believe a Bundesliga championship and/or German cup are still better than no title at all. Or when did you guys won your last title? 2017?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Don't think there are any credible links to Bayern anyway.

Guaranteed Bundesliga titles they'd win with Mark Noble in the center.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
So has he been a failure at Barcelona then?

Because it seems their desire to get him out of the club is not purely down to finances. They're obviously rebuilding, yet don't want this supposedly excellent, young midfielder in their team. For what it's worth, the little I have seen of him, I like him. But they don't seem that arsed about letting him go if what you read is correct.
Wouldn't classify him as a failure at the club, but he has definitely underwhelmed after arriving with a burgeoning reputation (with the hope to entrench himself as a reference point in the collectivization of the Starting XI, like Verratti at Paris Saint-Germain or Kimmich at Bayern). In a lot of ways, he is fundamentally unsuited to a traditional Barcelona-style 4—3—3 due to his hybrid nature and free-ranging proclivities, and the presence of Busquets in particular is a noticeable detriment (as he tends to occupy similar spaces in the defensive third). There's no getting past those realities — which probably explains the heightened urgency to sell him while his transfer value is relatively high.

Any club that signs Frenkie needs to learn from some of Barcelona's struggles to accentuate his foremost qualities and be more deliberate (and careful) with their structures and the general cast around him, or he might underperform for them as well. Ideally he needs quite a bit of freedom in the regions that have been outlined below to carry and pass the ball (as a libero of sorts), and managers who try to pigeon-hole him with a restrictive central midfield area-of-activity where his influence is curtailed (especially as an assertive ball-carrier from defensive zones) are unlikely to extract the absolute best out of his rather unique (and at the best of times, magisterial) skillset...

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Was just thinking the same thing. Honestly cant see the difference in living in Munich v England for a millionaire as well?
Having lived in Munich before and been to Manchester a few times, I beg to disagree.
Didn't FDJ already said he isn't interested to move to England because of the weather?
Aside from the weather you have the Alps only a couple of hours away from Munich. The beer gardens as well as one of highest living quality inn the whole of Germany.

Lyng

He would wreck your wage structure. Never going to happen.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Having lived in Munich before and been to Manchester a few times, I beg to disagree.
Didn't FDJ already said he isn't interested to move to England because of the weather?
Aside from the weather you have the Alps only a couple of hours away from Munich. The beer gardens as well as one of highest living quality inn the whole of Germany.
Bavaria is a much nicer place to live than Manchester.
The idea that it isn't is laughable.
Sorry Mancs.

Davie Moyes

I feel like people here have the wrong impression of the kind of player De Jong is.

He's not a passer like Thiago.

He's basically like Jorginho with his passing, in that he's very secure, has a nice disguised pass through the lines (at times), and can be inventive, but doesn't have much of a throughball nor a long ball.
He has brilliant awareness of everyone around him, but not necessarily the technique for anything truly incisive or creative.

What he has over Jorginho (massively) though is his athleticism, in that he's very quick and can keep running and put a lot of energy into a game.

He's great at making defensive recoveries, particularly tracking runners from the midfield when playing a high line.

His greatest attribute is his dribbling, both when put under pressure and with runs from deep into the midfield, passing by a player or two to create a numerical advantage further up the pitch.

He has a nice sliding tackle (technically), and he can run a lot and press well, but he's not someone who you can trust to hold position and defend a particular space.
Thanks for description of his game. Sounds ideal as our main problem is retaining the ball and having control of matches, also lack dribblers especially thorough the center. We have Bruno for the through balls and high risk passes anyway.

cyberman

But he would be a millionaire in one of the most prominent areas of England.
I have never heard anybody say somebody should avoid England for a better quality of life in terms of the mega rich. If anything they flock to the UK.
Apparently Naymar is over every other weekend as an example.
Im sure Munich is lovely

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Wouldn't classify him as a failure at the club, but he has definitely underwhelmed after arriving with a burgeoning reputation (with the hope to entrench himself as a reference point in the collectivization of the Starting XI, like Verratti at Paris Saint-Germain or Kimmich at Bayern). In a lot of ways, he is fundamentally unsuited to a traditional Barcelona-style 4—3—3 due to his hybrid nature and free-ranging proclivities, and the presence of Busquets in particular is a noticeable detriment (as he tends to occupy similar spaces in the defensive third). There's no getting past those realities — which probably explains the heightened urgency to sell him while his transfer value is relatively high.

Any club that signs Frenkie needs to learn from some of Barcelona's struggles to accentuate his foremost qualities and be more deliberate (and careful) with their structures and the general cast around him, or he might underperform for them as well. Ideally he needs quite a bit of freedom in the regions that have been outlined below to carry and pass the ball (as a libero of sorts), and managers who try to pigeon-hole him with a restrictive central midfield area-of-activity where his influence is curtailed (especially as an assertive ball-carrier from defensive zones) are unlikely to extract the absolute best out of his rather unique (and at the best of times, magisterial) skillset...
Thanks for that.

Yeah, so basically don't do to him what we've done to nearly every player that has come into this club post-Fergie. I.e, bring a player in with absolutely no idea on how to use him and best utilize his abilities. Hopefully, with the appointment of ETH things will be different from that perspective.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
ETH really is trying to get the boys together huh?
FDJ, De Ligt and he already has VDB.

I am not against this idea as it would create a spine for him team but surely their are other players with similar profiles out their.

Hughie77

I've only realy seen him for Holland and I liked him. It wouldn't bother me if we got him or not, its ETH who knows who he wants and how he's going to set up, that's why I'm not even going to try and fit any Current CM with Djong it's pointless as there might be 2 or the new faces in there.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
ETH really is trying to get the boys together huh?
FDJ, De Ligt and he already has VDB.

I am not against this idea as it would create a spine for him team but surely their are other players with similar profiles out their.
That would need to learn his methods etc, if the spine of the team know his methods already its better, they can enforce them on the pitch

Status
Not open for further replies.