Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Giggsyking

By understanding that you have to know that you should see it as a complete honor at this point if any top player or top prospect is even considering to play for Man Utd at this moment.
It is an honor a player like De Jong chooses to play in one of the biggest clubs in the world!! Close the door behind you.

Last edited:

Nicolarra90

If we were based in a sunnier part of the world we would have more pulling power than anyone including Madrid and would have had a lot more champions leagues.
We already have the answer for it.
Thank you global warming :cool:.

Jibbs

why not just convince Tchouameni instead, give him a better contract than anyone else.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Another signing that’s goin to drag all summer… why is it never simple with us?

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
It makes sense. I wouldn't have a problem living in the city, and I certainly wouldn't have a problem living in the surrounding areas, but then again I know more than "Manchester = wet and cold" which is probably the limits some players would go to when researching Manchester.
Yeah, the somewhat mythical reports of the weather don't help. Then again, my idea of temperate is about 14 degrees, so I'm probably not the best judge of climate.

I've got it on good authority that Chicharito had his house heated to 30 odd degrees all year round and hated the cold. Mexico City it is not.

pascell

I don’t understand all the whining and bleating about Romano. He a journalist doing his job and reporting facts - just because they are the same facts as every other journo just means his info is somewhat reliable not made up BS.
I don’t see why he gets more shit than any other aggregator.
✅️ TRUE Romano is just a journalist doing his job and this saga is reminding me and everyone else of di Maria.

Widow

I think we’ll know in the next two weeks. It is all fairly dull though. Personally I think they want to sell him. Neves, Raphinha, Soler and Lewandowski are all wanted by them apparently.
I absolutely think it could happen. Barca look like they'll need the money to fund other transfers and they will be thic set in the middle of the park. That and his last couple of seasons have been underwhelming (Mitten testifying to this).

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
''United and Barca are finding formula to complete the deal''.

Isn't that the same with United and Barca are negotiating about the transfer fees? Normally if we are in the stage of talking to the club means we had reached an agreement with the player.

Lads, we got this.

roseguy64

I don't get the hype with that guy, I reckon he's full of shit.
I can tell you 100% he is full of shit.
Just repeating what others have reported and somewhat covering all the bases once again.

Starting to dislike Romano, think he knows feck all tbh
Can you guys not do this again this summer?

He's been proven reliable, has exclusives and has contacts in the agent world. Sometimes he just confirms other people's stories and he usually credits them. There was a little furore that he didn't credit a few of them but he does for the most part.

We don't need people flooding threads in this forum again when his tweets are always gonna be used and he's been considered not worthy of a ban by the mods for good reason.

Let it go. It's very annoying.

Prodigal7

Are you suggesting that the worst thing about Manchester United is Manchester? Probably fair tbh.
It’s true. Even De Jongs father mentioned it recently as a negative. We are the most supported club in the world and therefore the biggest in the world (not sure the effect this season will have on that), but too European and especially South American players dont like UK (especially Mancunian) weather and find it difficult culturally to adjust.

big rons sovereign

He's been proven reliable, has exclusives and has contacts in the agent world. Sometimes he just confirms other people's stories and he usually credits them. There was a little furore that he didn't credit a few of them but he does for the most part.

We don't need people flooding threads in this forum again when his tweets are always gonna be used and he's been considered not worthy of a ban by the mods for good reason.

Good lord, I've never heard of fanboying over a football gossip journalist before. :lol:

Davie Moyes

The amount of self undermining of us by our own fans is so irritating. If you don’t even know how huge Manchester United is then what the fecking point of your existence as a united fan ? Spanish and Portuguese speaking players preferring Spanish clubs is your benchmark of downplaying us ? Yes, Madrid is the most successful club but even they don’t stand near us in some parameters of huge clubs like popularity and fanbase of united. Their mouthpiece newspaper had to fecking edit a photograph to show the stadium in USA was full of Madrid fans when it was all red. That’s how inferior they feel of us interms of global appeal. And don’t even get me started on Barcelona.

Forget about mid table clubs ,Sometimes I wish some of our fans were fans of other big clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea, or even Liverpool to truly get how fecking huge is Manchester United because them clubs and their fans feel that inferiority despite big clubs themselves. And your point about Real and Barcelona, if there is one English club which gets the appreciation and admiration of a huge fecking giant club similar to them or better in case of Barcelona, it’s Manchester United. Go to some other countries and talk to some neutrals or see the media of these countries and see what they think of us and how they portray us and then realise how big we are. We might be shit at the moment but every club go through cycles and even in these shit years we were signing players other clubs can only dream of. We will get through this shithole eventually and when we do maybe then only you would realise that we are fecking behemoth of a football club.
Take a bow son. Now that's a top post. It is annoying that every second post I read on this forum these days is our fans downplaying us. I think you are right and they don't think they realise or understand the size of the club they support.

Tavern in the town

The idea that we should be wary of players who need to be convinced to come here is hilarious. I’d be more worried about someone who didn’t.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
The amount of self undermining of us by our own fans is so irritating. If you don’t even know how huge Manchester United is then what the fecking point of your existence as a united fan ? Spanish and Portuguese speaking players preferring Spanish clubs is your benchmark of downplaying us ? Yes, Madrid is the most successful club but even they don’t stand near us in some parameters of huge clubs like popularity and fanbase of united. Their mouthpiece newspaper had to fecking edit a photograph to show the stadium in USA was full of Madrid fans when it was all red. That’s how inferior they feel of us interms of global appeal. And don’t even get me started on Barcelona.

Forget about mid table clubs ,Sometimes I wish some of our fans were fans of other big clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea, or even Liverpool to truly get how fecking huge is Manchester United because them clubs and their fans feel that inferiority despite big clubs themselves. And your point about Real and Barcelona, if there is one English club which gets the appreciation and admiration of a huge fecking giant club similar to them or better in case of Barcelona, it’s Manchester United. Go to some other countries and talk to some neutrals or see the media of these countries and see what they think of us and how they portray us and then realise how big we are. We might be shit at the moment but every club go through cycles and even in these shit years we were signing players other clubs can only dream of. We will get through this shithole eventually and when we do maybe then only you would realise that we are fecking behemoth of a football club.
Not sure where you are, but I can speak for South America, and support and shirt wearing and talking about United has fallen off massively. We are nowhere near Madrid or Barca on this massive continent, and never have been. And we've fallen behind Liverpool and Chelsea as well, I'd say, and I see more fans and shirts of City as well. We've been boring as feck to watch for yonks, and you can even hear the lack of enthusiasm in the voices of the Argie announcers on ESPN and Fox Sports. Seriously, it's gotten to the point that people don't give a shit about United here at the moment. The same has happened to Milan as well. In this huge football crazy continent, I laugh hearing a "behemoth of a club." Can't say, but I would imagine Asia would follow suit.

AkaAkuma

Not sure where you are, but I can speak for South America, and support and shirt wearing and talking about United has fallen off massively. We are nowhere near Madrid or Barca on this massive continent, and never have been. And we've fallen behind Liverpool and Chelsea as well, I'd say, and I see more fans and shirts of City as well. We've been boring as feck to watch for yonks, and you can even hear the lack of enthusiasm in the voices of the Argie announcers on ESPN and Fox Sports. Seriously, it's gotten to the point that people don't give a shit about United here at the moment. The same has happened to Milan as well. In this huge football crazy continent, I laugh hearing a "behemoth of a club." Can't say, but I would imagine Asia would follow suit.
it just shows how football has changed In the last decade for fans.

I can’t speak of all Asia, but Barca, City, PSG are popular in Japan. PSG is the one I find hard to stomach as they are just a fashion brand here. They have no redeeming quality in my eyes.

if United start playing well and have a narrative that’s slightly different to other top clubs they’ll will be back in favor. It’s all about the story and how it resonates with fans

Kaushal

:lol:You laugh hearing united is a behemoth of a club ? Knew this kind of downplaying post was coming. So let me dive into some petty details. Firstly, United never had a bigger fanbase in South America bigger than Spanish clubs and it’s understandable because of iconic South American players playing mostly for Spanish clubs and because of language, culture etc. It still means little on a global scale.

Secondly, What is the population of whole of massive continent of South America ? 400 million something. The 3 most populated countries in the world are China, India and USA accounting for more than 3 billion. BILLION. You know who is the most supported club in those countries by an overwhelming majority especially in the first two. Manchester fecking United. I know that for a fact being from Asia, India specifically and having been to many Asian countries and that’s just a few without taking the whole of Asia and other countries and continents into account.

Thirdly, Yes, we have been shit but the support doesn’t dwindle massively in just 9 years. Liverpool were shite for 3 decades in an era of no social media and limited broadcasting and they are still big. We don’t make headlines for the right reasons however sad that is but we still make headlines and there is a reason for that. So yeah, laugh all you want mate at the suggestion of United still a behemoth of a club, it won’t change the fact that we still are. Honestly, I’m sick of this undermining and of this narrative that we are not huge anymore as if entire dominance of the premier league era bar these 9 yrs and even the success before it would evaporate just like that.

Yes we have been shit and yes we are still fecking huge comparable only to Real Madrid not in terms of current relevance in winning trophies but in still being popular and in having the biggest fanbase. Both the things are true and it would take more than 9 yrs to drop that massively whether you like to believe or not.

Last edited:

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"

You get annoyed by stuff like that on an Internet forum? Ok

Dante

Average bang
Di Maria only came for the money. De Jong, on the other hand, would be coming for a manager he has a pre-existing relationship with.

Assuming FdJ's being pushed out of Barca and his priorities are wages, or instant success, or CL participation, City would be the obvious option.

Which means that if he ultimately picks United, it would have to be for personal reasons that would make him motivated to work hard and want to impress his manager.

In that respect, it's totally a different situation from AdM.

Coops73

IF the reports are true about his desire to stay at Barca, why the feck are we pursuing a player that isn’t attracted to play for United? that wants to stay At Barca, is prepared to take a pay cut to stay at Barca.

IF this is the case or even has a modicum of truth to these reports, let’s please stay the feck away.

sherrinford

I think the disagreement between us here is that you think holding midfielder should be the deepest one in midfield and the one that is not the deepest one is called ''box to box''. In the general idea yes. That's why you thought Schone has freedom to go forward like he's box to box, which you concluded that Kamara can't play in his role but in reality that wasn't the case. Because Ajax 18/19 double pivot doesn't operate the same as the general idea of double pivot. The special thing about the Ajax 18/19 double pivot system where neither double pivot players played box to box role, it's actually one was libero while the other one was deep-lying playmaker.

You might ask if Schone never had freedom to go forward and his role is Deep-lying playmaker / deep-lying midfielder then how come FDJ's position is deeper than Schone?
FDJ - Libero

Well, this can be explained if we call FDJ's role is the modern day Libero. The traditional Libero is a defender who plays behind the rest of the back line, and is responsible for covering and sweeping across the spaces behind other defenders. The role grew to include passing forwards after a regain – often to launch a counter-attack – and eventually driving into midfield with the ball, or running forward off the ball to instigate an attack.
For a reference about Traditional Libero, read this link:
https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/what-is-a-libero-explained-baresi-beckenbauer-maguire-stones/#:~:text=A libero is a defender,the spaces behind other defenders.

So let's compare FDJ the modern Libero with the traditional Libero
De Jong - The modern liberoTraditional libero
Tends to position himself the deepest, sometime even deeper than defenderA defender who plays behind the rest of the back line
Gets a licence to drive the ball forward from defense to midfield area, which is ETH called it freedom to move forward.Ability to driving into midfield with the ball, or running forward off the ball to instigate an attack.

You might get confused why comparing FDJ's modern libero role and the traditional libero role can support the argument about why in your eye that Schone had freedom to go forward but in the reality he didn't?
Schone - Deeplying Playmaker / Deeplying Midfielder

The key lies on De Jong's position as the modern libero. His positioning was sometime deeper than the CB or sometime on the same line as CB (The table above). So when you watched the match, you though Schone gets the license to go forward since FDJ was deeper than him but in reality, Schone's position was the same as how deep-lying playmaker positioned himself. Instead of Schone going forward, it was actually De Jong who dropped deep from the same line as Schone's position to CB's positon or even deeper than CB. Therefore, Schone 18/19 wasn't box to box and he also didn't get the license to go forward. Neither players' roles were box to box, so it's not necessary you need box to box to play next to FDJ if ETH wants to replicate that 18/19 midfield.
De Jong did not drop into the backline as standard. That Ajax team were a dominant side, why would you actually describe the formation as a 4-2-3-1 if De Jong started in defence every time they had the ball?

In reality, that was one of the ways in which the team shaped up to progress the ball when met with a defensive shape and pressure from the opposition which made it difficult to get the ball forward with De Jong in his standard position at the base of midfield, which isn't a particularly unique piece of positioning - there are other examples of the deepest midfielder doing exactly this.

Yes, De Jong dropped in to the backline and Schone positioned himself at the base of midfield to maintain a good structure to the side - in certain situations. On other occasions though, De Jong maintained his position in front of the defence, and Schone would make a run forward or occupy a higher position.

I don't know if Kamara is a suitable partner or not, but based on the descriptions of his game here it doesn't sound like he would be comfortable moving or running into more advanced areas or generally being the second function midfielder.

TsuWave

IF the reports are true about his desire to stay at Barca, why the feck are we pursuing a player that isn’t attracted to play for United? that wants to stay At Barca, is prepared to take a pay cut to stay at Barca.

IF this is the case or even has a modicum of truth to these reports, let’s please stay the feck away.
would you say this has Di Maria vibes perhaps?

PeteReDevil

iPete
:lol:You laugh hearing united is a behemoth of a club ? Knew this kind of downplaying post was coming. So let me dive into some petty details. Firstly, United never had a bigger fanbase in South America bigger than Spanish clubs and it’s understandable because of iconic South American players playing mostly for Spanish clubs and because of language, culture etc. It still means little on a global scale.

Secondly, What is the population of whole of massive continent of South America ? 400 million something. The 3 most populated countries in the world are China, India and USA accounting for more than 3 billion. BILLION. You know who is the most supported club in those countries by an overwhelming majority especially in the first two. Manchester fecking United. I know that for a fact being from Asia, India specifically and having been to many Asian countries and that’s just a few without taking the whole of Asia and other countries and continents into account.

Thirdly, Yes, we have been shit but the support doesn’t dwindle massively in just 9 years. Liverpool were shite for 3 decades in an era of no social media and limited broadcasting and they are still big. We don’t make headlines for the right reasons however sad that is but we still make headlines and there is a reason for that. So yeah, laugh all you want mate at the suggestion of United still a behemoth of a club, it won’t change the fact that we still are. Honestly, I’m sick of this undermining and of this narrative that we are not huge anymore as if entire dominance of the premier league era bar these 9 yrs and even the success before it would evaporate just like that.

Yes we have been shit and yes we are still fecking huge comparable only to Real Madrid not in terms of current relevance in winning trophies but in still being popular and in having the biggest fanbase. Both the things are true and it would take more than 9 yrs to drop that massively whether you like to believe or not.
So, you're saying that players still want to sign for United because they're big in Asia?

BlueHaze

What on earth did the previous regime do for such a sucessful club like that to be in such a dire economic situation? They really fecked the club over hard.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
What on earth did the previous regime do for such a sucessful club like that to be in such a dire economic situation? They really fecked the club over hard.
Paying insane fees for players who aren't worth it (Coutinho, Dembele, Griezmann). Giving said players wages to match. Paying Messi enough money to start his own Barcelona with blackjack and hookers while he was there.

Basically the same stupid shit our owners did + Messi's wages.

Kag

Let’s work on the assumption that we have the ability to sign a midfielder who can actually pass the football: can this guy play with Fred in midfield?

Status
Not open for further replies.