• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If nothing happens, then by default Barca are paying him the owed money next season and they're not registering some of their new signings, so doing nothing is absolutely the worst possible outcome for them. So one way or another it'll get resolved.
Thank you Michael Owen for your wisdom.

TheReligion

Abusive
Its OK.

Did we need a left fullback in Malacia? Not doubting his quality but hardly a pressing need. We've 4 left fullbacks in Williams, Laird, Telles and Shaw. Granted not great quality, but again.. not in dire need of attention.

Martinez, again good player from all reports... handy versatile option. Unsure of him at CB in the premier league.. he's gonna get smashed up by Haaland, Nunez and the rest I'd imagine.

Eriksen - Great signing.

It's about a 6 for me so far at best.
Martinez has already dealt with Haaland and Nunez pretty well (come on do your research properly!)

I think it’s good business so far and we will bring in more.

:lol:

jamesjimmybyrondean

What's the reason this hasn't happened yet? De Jong doesn't want to come or Barca doesn't want to pay his remaining wages?

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
If nothing happens, then by default Barca are paying him the owed money next season and they're not registering some of their new signings, so doing nothing is absolutely the worst possible outcome for them. So one way or another it'll get resolved.
Well recent report suggests after second level is activated they can register all players. You have to wonder why barca are buying all these players when we was thinking they have to sell FDJ. Maybe, FDJ doesn't need to be sold after all?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yeah this idea isn't as far fetched as you think
Why does everyone think that a CB, who the coach has worked with before and decided he was better as a CB is suddenly going to be played by the same coach as a DM? He’s been bought as a CB and Maguire/Lindelof just demonstrated AGAIN why he’s been bought

Delano

I get why some are optimistic and others pessimistic but ultimately, we need to start working on other CM options in the background.

We can't be in a position where we don't address the midfield this season. Whilst if we brief that we're working on other options, it'll pressure Barca even more.

The outline is agreed regardless, so there's no harm in being proactive. The last thing we need is a mad trolley dash on deadline day.

tombombadil

I think it really needs to be reiterated.

1) There is nothing wrong with FDJ doubling down against Barca regarding his back wages
2) There is nothing wrong with the Man Utd trying to get FDJ

What's important is to set a deadline and not to let their war screw over the transfer plan for us. If the club think we can afford to wait, then so be it. Otherwise, I hope they have a deadline and move on to Plan B. Only the club management know this. So the rest of us should just chill and watch the show.

And some of the stupid narratives being promoted by ABU media is getting really depressing. First, they complain that the club overrule the managers. Then now, they complain the club doesn't overrule the manager. Their toxic narratives poisoning the club fans to sell an extra click is getting tiring. And it's despairing to see how many fans lap it up. It's so so so depressing.

RkkMan

Its OK.

Did we need a left fullback in Malacia? Not doubting his quality but hardly a pressing need. We've 4 left fullbacks in Williams, Laird, Telles and Shaw. Granted not great quality, but again.. not in dire need of attention.

Martinez, again good player from all reports... handy versatile option. Unsure of him at CB in the premier league.. he's gonna get smashed up by Haaland, Nunez and the rest I'd imagine.

Eriksen - Great signing.

It's about a 6 for me so far at best.
Malacia- You would have been the same person moaning why we never signed him for £15m had he shined at Lyon and made a mega money Transfer to Utd or someone else. Laird is a RB that needs a loan, Telles/Williams are GARBAGE and Shaw is solid but injury prone. At £15m he's worth the risk and we'll get that money back from selling Telles and Williams
Martinez- He's already played against Haaland and Nunez in the CL and pocketed them so that's a very biased view just to want to look negative. He was Ajax's POTY for a reason. He'll prove to be a quality signing and will massively improve our build up play
Our business on the side has still been good and we'll make more in form of a replacement for #7, FDJ/an alternative and a RB as it's clear Ten Hag doesn't fancy AWB. That's still a good window

croadyman

Why does everyone think that a CB, who the coach has worked with before and decided he was better as a CB is suddenly going to be played by the same coach as a DM? He’s been bought as a CB and Maguire/Lindelof just demonstrated AGAIN why he’s been bought
Because got no one there in the whole squad

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
We don't deserve this. Two windows of Sancho saga where Dortmund were constantly taking the piss and now we have to deal with another scummy club that operates like it's the last day of Rome with debts higher than Silicon Valley startups' combined and yet always sit on their high horses.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Well recent report suggests after second level is activated they can register all players. You have to wonder why barca are buying all these players when we was thinking they have to sell FDJ. Maybe, FDJ doesn't need to be sold after all?
I don't understand this though, does their wage cap go up because of an influx of money, what happens when that money is gone, as it very likely will be by the end of the season. Do they have to pull another lever and get more money into the club? Will the wage cap go down again? Are they going to be so far over it that they're truly screwed.

If they didn't need to sell, they wouldn't have said, even yesterday, that FFP requires them to sell players. I just don't know how all this works now, i'm sure others do though, and i'm sure either way they'll need FdJ off the books

NLunited

Nothing has changed, Xavi decides who goes on tour, not LaFatso. We have seen this with Dembélé.

How are Brokelona going to register all their players, it seems impossible? I would not be surprised if they start calling for further wage reductions, the cnuts.

One thing I know is that Frenkie won‘t defer his wages again or agree to lower his salary again. He has learned his lesson.

Barça can‘t make him leave or force him to take further paycuts.

We should not drop our interest in Frenkie, but work on the contingency plan. Martinez might be part of that.

Anyone mention Neves again, please ban them.

ThanksBoss26

I think it really needs to be reiterated.

1) There is nothing wrong with FDJ doubling down against Barca regarding his back wages
2) There is nothing wrong with the Man Utd trying to get FDJ

What's important is to set a deadline and not to let their war screw over the transfer plan for us. If the club think we can afford to wait, then so be it. Otherwise, I hope they have a deadline and move on to Plan B. Only the club management know this. So the rest of us should just chill and watch the show.

And some of the stupid narratives being promoted by ABU media is getting really depressing. First, they complain that the club overrule the managers. Then now, they complain the club doesn't overrule the manager. Their toxic narratives poisoning the club fans to sell an extra click is getting tiring. And it's despairing to see how many fans lap it up. It's so so so depressing.
Very true.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
People have been obsessed with signing a dedicated defensive DM for so long that they struggle to wrap their heads around the idea that the manager could set his midfield up without one or could see it as less of a priority than they do.

Raiden Shogun

Supports
FC Barca
This isn't about deferred wages, that is a narrative the British press are going with. Barca will activate more levers soon, those levers give us plenty of money. Do people really think, after how much Barca are trying to force him to leave, we wouldn't use some of that money to just pay him these wages 'owed'? The deal is agreed between the clubs and we don't need every penny of the fee to sign players as our main problem is getting his salary off the books. Frenkie plain and simple doesn't want to leave and both clubs are up shits creek.

Bondi77

Martinez has already dealt with Haaland and Nunez pretty well (come on do your research properly!)

I think it’s good business so far and we will bring in more.

:lol:
Are Nunez and Haaland any good in the air?
I think it will be players like DCL and Toney and defending from set pieces that will be his biggest challenge and how he deals with being pressed.

Aeryis

In addition to your comment, Martinez doesn't have the skills to be a midfielder. He's a phenomenal passer of the ball, but he doesn't have the lateral and vertical movement on the ball to be a midfielder. Midfielders need to excel at carrying the ball, they need to excel at resisting the press, and they need to be good dribblers; good midfielders anyways. Midfield is definitely the most technical and skillful position on the pitch, with forward play/wingplay being right behind them. He's been a defender all his life, through youth set ups all the way to senior football except for one season out of 3 in Ajax where he was used as a makeshift DM when Ajax didn't have any other options. Fans are using this period as proof to suggest Martinez is being brought as a DM. It's like buying Frenkie to play as a CB because he once played there for Ajax when they didn't have any options there either. It's ridiculous.

Martinez doesn't have these skills, if he was good enough to be a midfielder he'd already be a midfielder. All you have to do is follow ETH's words on Martinez: he himself explicitly said that Martinez is a defender.

Summit

I don't understand this though, does their wage cap go up because of an influx of money, what happens when that money is gone, as it very likely will be by the end of the season. Do they have to pull another lever and get more money into the club? Will the wage cap go down again? Are they going to be so far over it that they're truly screwed.

If they didn't need to sell, they wouldn't have said, even yesterday, that FFP requires them to sell players. I just don't know how all this works now, i'm sure others do though, and i'm sure either way they'll need FdJ off the books
I think that could be the case, in that your wage cap mignt be determined by how much money you make? I really don't know tbh, just guessing now. All I now is barca are acting in a way that would suggest FDJ doesn't need to be sold

golden_blunder

Staff
Still find it incredible that we have signed a LB, CB and Number 10 when our priorities was surely CM, RB, RW and a back up striker. Another season with ridiculous imbalance in the squad. We have 3 LB and 7 CB currently.

I have a feeling we going into the season short in midfield because of this transfer saga. It should have been sacked off weeks ago. There were options for free transfers and cheap signings in CM but we passed on them to get a very expensive transfer done for a player that doesn’t want to join. Arguably we need two CM anyway.
We passed on them for a reason. It’s clear that the coach is looking to increase the technical skills of the midfield area. He’s looking for specific types of player not the run of the mill free players that you mentioned. Otherwise we would have gone for them just as we signed Eriksen for free.

we have a few young players bursting at the seams to get minutes so not worried about passing on those ‘meh’ squad fillers

RyRy11

Presumably we have back-ups to FDJ in mind. As long as they're still available to fall back on later, I guess we just wait for the FDJ/Barca drama to play out.

He's obviously by far our first choice in which case he's worth waiting for, as long as waiting doesn't screw us out of alternatives if it doesn't work out.
Problem is, now everyone knows how much we are willing to fork out for De Jong, clubs with a half decent alternative will be asking for exactly that! We will get rinsed if we panic buy another player.

golden_blunder

Staff
In addition to your comment, Martinez doesn't have the skills to be a midfielder. He's a phenomenal passer of the ball, but he doesn't have the lateral and vertical movement on the ball to be a midfielder. Midfielders need to excel at carrying the ball, they need to excel at resisting the press, and they need to be good dribblers; good midfielders anyways. Midfield is definitely the most technical and skillful position on the pitch, with forward play/wingplay being right behind them. He's been a defender all his life, through youth set ups all the way to senior football except for one season out of 3 in Ajax where he was used as a makeshift DM when Ajax didn't have any other options. Fans are using this period as proof to suggest Martinez is being brought as a DM. It's like buying Frenkie to play as a CB because he once played there for Ajax when they didn't have any options there either. It's ridiculous.

Martinez doesn't have these skills, if he was good enough to be a midfielder he'd already be a midfielder. All you have to do is follow ETH's words on Martinez: he himself explicitly said that Martinez is a defender.
Exactly! It’s clear FDJ is chased because ETH wants a midfielder with his type of skill set. Martinez would be lost there and fans would turn on him and ETH

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
I think that could be the case, in that your wage cap mignt be determined by how much money you make? I really don't know tbh, just guessing now. All I now is barca are acting in a way that would suggest FDJ doesn't need to be sold
So if thats the case, why don't they pull out of the deal? They say de Jong is important to them but they don't pull out of the deal or call it off?
Wouldn't that make sense if they really didn't need to sell

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Is EtH that hell bent on getting Frenkie that he thinks there isn't any other midfielder in the world that can do the job? If we start the season with McFred and drop points then I would have little sympathy for EtH. The arrogance to disregard Rangnick's input and then having no backup options for someone who doesn't even want to be here is poor imo. The board is also useless given the lack of preparation for the season that starts in 3 weeks.

This. He can rot in Barcelona where he isn't appreciated and I predict that he would ache for a move sooner rather than later.
Look at the players we've signed/targeted. ETH doesn't trust the board/scoutings or their recommendations and given our history, he's probably right.

Keefy18

He is. As of right now, he's not a Barcelona player. So by saying they can register their current signings, he's not one of them. It's not that complicated
Barcelona are receiving 320m this week. They've paid or are paying Bayern up front the full fee to get him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Problem is, now everyone knows how much we are willing to fork out for De Jong, clubs with a half decent alternative will be asking for exactly that! We will get rinsed if we panic buy another player.
True.

I suppose if the club have a deal agreed with Barca that lends confidence to them taking this approach as they presumably view that as the hardest part of getting the deal done. But there is certainly risk in terms of the deal they might get on whoever their chosen alternative is.

golden_blunder

Staff
People have been obsessed with signing a dedicated defensive DM for so long that they struggle to wrap their heads around the idea that the manager could set his midfield up without one or could see it as less of a priority than they do.
It’s bonkers. They don’t understand the coach that we’ve now got.

Summit

So if thats the case, why don't they pull out of the deal? They say de Jong is important to them but they don't pull out of the deal or call it off?
Wouldn't that make sense if they really didn't need to sell
Maybe they are open to selling him to make things easier, but at the same time it isn't the be all and end all

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Barcelona are receiving 320m this week. They've paid or are paying Bayern up front the full fee to get him.
How much are they going to have left of that after paying for their transfers, outstanding transfer obligations and anything else they need to do.
Am thinking it's not going to be very much

ElBarto

don't worry, we have zidane, savage and hannibal. Just need to find a way to remove McBunnyhop from the equation

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Maybe they are open to selling him to make things easier, but at the same time it isn't the be all and end all
I understand that. I think getting rid of him will sort out a lot of the problems they have and allow them to focus on other areas that need sorting, like Pique etc

Status
Not open for further replies.