Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

peridigm

I said this ages ago. He restructured his contract. He’s not owed anything. It’s basically good will at this point.
He needs a new agent and lawyers if this is the case. Barca presented it as deferred but deep down knew they'd probably have to sell him and get out of paying the higher wages in the later years of his contract.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
He needs a new agent and lawyers if this is the case. Barca presented it as deferred but deep down knew they'd probably have to sell him and get out of paying the higher wages in the later years of his contract.
Distinction without a difference really.

FDJ has a contract that can only be canceled if he agrees so of course the money is still owed to him. He 100% controls his own destiny and any agent with a minimal amount of competence will simply refuse any transfer that sees his client making less money over the next four years than the status quo.

IMO, if a transfer occurs it is far more likely that United effectively cover some or all of these costs via higher wages or a big signing on fee than it is that FDJ just loses the money. The idea that he would accept any deal that sees him making less money than his current contract stipulates is borderline absurd. Players rarely do that and usually only when they really really want to leave their club. He wants to stay so leaving for less money just isn’t happening.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
This move didn’t make much sense to me…. then I thought of a world where I didn’t have to cheer Jorginho in the future: priceless

ETH may not be a draw at all. I mean he MAY be… but the kid could just as easily have hated every minute he played for him, regardless of what he tells the press.

Didn’t he send an email telling the United players to put aside their pro egos and fall in line with academy kids?

Frenkie is in his mid 20’s, and is a married, successful professional. Maybe he doesn’t want to go back to being treated like an 18 year old in the Academy?

In the US we have this issue all the time when super successful college coaches try coaching NFL teams. Handling highly paid adult pros is a completely different art form.

May not be an issue, but considering the limited and specific scope of his experience it could be.

peridigm

FDJ has a contract that can only be canceled if he agrees so of course the money is still owed to him. He 100% controls his own destiny and any agent with a minimal amount of competence will simply refuse any transfer that sees his client making less money over the next four years than the status quo.

IMO, if a transfer occurs it is far more likely that United effectively cover some or all of these costs via higher wages or a big signing on fee than it is that FDJ just loses the money. The idea that he would accept any deal that sees him making less money than his current contract stipulates is borderline absurd. Players rarely do that and usually only when they really really want to leave their club. He wants to stay so leaving for less money just isn’t happening.
I hope we hold our line on what we're covering. We can't be expected to cover his past wages by absurd wages at United or a sign-on fee and also pay Barca a high transfer fee. They have to lose some skin in this game as well and they should. They're the ones that want to sell. If they didn't want to sell, we'd have no chance of getting the player. They have to sell according to reports so hopefully the powers at United don't fold and get bent over just to get him to sign. That's what it will most likely take though. Anyway, not my money and the club appear to be supporting ETH so if they want to pay over the transfer fee to cover the owed wages, so be it.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
This move didn’t make much sense to me…. then I thought of a world where I didn’t have to cheer Jorginho in the future: priceless

ETH may not be a draw at all. I mean he MAY be… but the kid could just as easily have hated every minute he played for him, regardless of what he tells the press.

Didn’t he send an email telling the United players to put aside their pro egos and fall in line with academy kids?

Frenkie is in his mid 20’s, and is a married, successful professional. Maybe he doesn’t want to go back to being treated like an 18 year old in the Academy?

In the US we have this issue all the time when super successful college coaches try coaching NFL teams. Handling highly paid adult pros is a completely different art form.

May not be an issue, but considering the limited and specific scope of his experience it could be.
What :lol:

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!

Uhhhh what? So FdJ would lie to the press for what reason?
Whats he got to gain by saying he really liked EtH as a coach when in reality he hates him? Makes no sense at all

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Let them activate it, that will be their biggest mistake from what i read and an absolute last resort.
I've read thats literally throwing their future revenue away in the worst possible way
Wouldn't that mean that Frenkie is staying though? As they'd only activate it if something went wrong with Frenkie leaving.

George The Best

Yep. Only way Barca can get him off their books - if they need to for FFP - is to negotiate an acceptable severance package with FDJ. He’s be nuts to accept any more Barca IOU’s too.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Pawn shops should call themselves 'lever activation spaces'. Sound so much better.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
The third economic lever that is being talked about is the sale of 49% of BarcaStudios.
This economic asset was tried to sell this season for €50M and in the end it has not been produced.
BarcaStudios right now gives losses to the club, so an experienced member is sought to start giving benefits.

At the moment, Barcelona does not want to sell BLM. In recent years it has given an income of €50-60M.
Barcelona believes it can reach €100M.
Ah, this is news to me. Thanks for the information.

Did the socios approve of its sale alongside both BLM and the TV rights, or is this a separate matter?

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
They might need to activate to pay Frenkie off, as I keep hearing they can’t hit FFP targets with him on the books.
I truly don't understand how FFP in Spain works.
I mean how could they add several players on high wages, keep de Jong on his mega contract and not have to sell anyone because of a few levers being triggered? I just don't understand it. What incentive does it give clubs to properly balance the books if they can just sell off bits and pieces to make money and go year to year. Surely it's a very very short term solution as next year they'll be in an even worse position if de Jong stays

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Anyone remember how Barça handled Umtiti's case? I think I recall them having a somewhat similar issue with Umtiti's wages and wanting to sell him but he didn't want to leave and they ended up keeping him. He even had Barça fans booing him during a match for refusing to leave. How did they finally fix his contractual situation? How did it all end?

romufc

Ah, this is news to me. Thanks for the information.

Did the socios approve of its sale alongside both BLM and the TV rights, or is this a separate matter?
I think they agreed to sell of 49% of BLM and TV rights. They now have to find buyers.

This is all short term gain but long term pain.

Imagine selling 49% of merchandise revenue for 25 years.

TheReligion

Abusive

Maybe so. What’s more likely though is your post is simply a bunch of far fetched made up bollocks.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I think they agreed to sell of 49% of BLM and TV rights. They now have to find buyers.

Correct, they already approved both BLM and the TV rights, though as I suspected and as @Niemans mentioned, Barcelona are reluctant to sell those BLM rights at this time. However, I was specifically asking about Barça Studios, which is different to both BLM and the TV rights.

I doubt they'd be as reluctant to sell part of Barça Studios given that it's making a loss at this time for them.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

They're not selling assets, they're aCTivaTiNg LevERs... Less embarrassing.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I mean how could they add several players on high wages, keep de Jong on his mega contract and not have to sell anyone because of a few levers being triggered? I just don't understand it. What incentive does it give clubs to properly balance the books if they can just sell off bits and pieces to make money and go year to year. Surely it's a very very short term solution as next year they'll be in an even worse position if de Jong stays
They sold their assets.

Means they inject new funds into the club.

Assets could be players, stadiums etc. As long as they cover the basics

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
They're not selling assets, they're aCTivaTiNg LevERs... Less embarrassing.
Is that to make it sound more appealing to their fans, make it appear all is fine and dandy when in reality they're sinking faster than the Titanic at this point

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
They sold their assets.

Means they inject new funds into the club.

Assets could be players, stadiums etc. As long as they cover the basics
So basically, they'll have a short term injection, raising their wage cap for the season? But what happens when the cap rises and the money dwindles away? Won't the cap fall again and they'll be back where they started, maybe even worse off?

Tallis

I can’t wait till Barca exercise a lever to sell 50 percent of the players shorts.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
So basically, they'll have a short term injection, raising their wage cap for the season? But what happens when the cap rises and the money dwindles away? Won't the cap fall again and they'll be back where they started, maybe even worse off?
Who cares. Laporta dont. Next 5 years maybe something good will happen.

I dont see Barca books but they're far from bankrupt. They have literally half a billion worth of players they can sell at any time when the push comes to shoves.

Wise? Dumb? Not our call.

They dont get to where they are being stupid. They know their numbers more than any of us here combined.

If their survival hinges on selling De Jong they'd pack his bags and deliver him to OT

If united ended up paying the deficit I'd say they're fooking genius

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Is that to make it sound more appealing to their fans, make it appear all is fine and dandy when in reality they're sinking faster than the Titanic at this point
Yeah you're right, I wouldn't be surprised.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
The league president, Javier Tebas, introduced a 70% rule, where a club’s wage bill should not be more than 70% of their entire income.
But there are also underlying rules in place in terms of a club’s total debt which feeds into the number applied to a club’s salary limit which is why two clubs - Barcelona and Valencia - who have continued to spend despite amassing significant losses have been so adversely affected here.
So based on that the income boost from lever activation causes the wage cap to rise and thus they can register their signings.
In the case of FDJ it was a big amount off their wage bill, and raising a decent bit of capital without too much pain.

Cantonalegod

He already said how much he enjoyed working under ETH.

And he's not married yet, he only got engaged a week or so ago!

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
So based on that the income boost from lever activation causes the wage cap to rise and thus they can register their signings.
In the case of FDJ it was a big amount off their wage bill, and raising a decent bit of capital without too much pain.
Aaaaah i get you now.
Hmmm still, i think regardless of the lever being activated or not, they'll likely want FdJ gone to fund Silva or, if they can beat Chelsea to it, Kounde. But who knows

ATXRedDevil

There was a few sources. I read it in the Guardian but it's saying i've read 12 articles this year now so can't access it. It was also quoted in a Talksport interview - but not sure what source they were using.

There's also other sources that are saying Barca owe nothing, as how the deferred wages/contract was structured means that if he leaves, the money isn't technically owed anymore. So the 3.5m offer would be a literally a peace offering.

Peicing it all together, we see that it's certainly the money thats the problem - and Barca either want to pay installments or a minimal severance package on what he is morally owed.

De Jong should not back down, and we shouldn't bail Barca out of the situation. They'll break eventually and either keep him on his contract (to be paid in full) or pay him off and get him out (most likely).
If this is true, his agent(s)/lawyer(s) should be fired immediately. Payment of deferred compensation for services already rendered should not be tied to continued employment.

Frenkie Goes 2 Manchester

This whole situation is just like when Play Now figures out George Costanza isn’t disabled and want him gone, but he insists on seeing out his contract.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Aaaaah i get you now.
Hmmm still, i think regardless of the lever being activated or not, they'll likely want FdJ gone to fund Silva or, if they can beat Chelsea to it, Kounde. But who knows
Absolutely. I’ve said before it’s a perfect storm for United in that he is their highest earner because of the deferred wage, he’s in a position where the have great cover and homegrown prospects so they want him out, we have the attraction of ETH and we need a player in his position and nobody else needs/wants Frenkie.
He will leave Barca and we are his most likely destination. This will get done, no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.