Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvin Udall

Which is why we should have enforced a deadline and told Barcelona to feck off if the deal wasn’t settled.

Even they aren’t stupid enough to say no to 75m for 17m.
Right. If Ten Hag doesn’t want other midfielders, that’s fine. But we need help at almost every position, and should have been ready to spend the money elsewhere. I admire that the club won’t overpay, and that Ten Hag doesn’t want a mediocre backup option. I also understand the need to be patient as this is a transitional period, but the club is still very predictable in how it does business right now, which allows a club like Barcelona to string us along. It’s very frustrating.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
"Sign anyone, it'll be an improvement," has been the mindset that's seen us end up with six centre backs, half of whom we don't trust and can't sell. Let's not inflict that on CM too.

He's not, no. But he has said there are alternatives; I just want to know who they are.
I’m not one of the clowns being paid a good sum of money to just say yes to whatever ETH wants.

But sure, it’s Frenkie or bust, let’s just watch McFred start in midfield for yet another season if we fail to get him.

Rob Bowman

Essentially that. He signed a 5 year deal so would have only had 2 years remaining at this point but when he negotiated the deferred contract it included tacking on 2 more years at the original base salary so that the deferred money could be spread over 4 years and not 2. This helped Barca spread the hit out and was attractive to Frenkie as his base salary was amongst the highest in Spain so 2 more years was desirable. The trouble is that the deferred amount is 17M and the base without that is still in the region of 18.5M net per year at a time when Barca want to cap salaries for even their biggest stars at 10M net per season.

Barca would happily keep Frenkie if he would take a cut to fit their new wage structure but at that point he would be giving up in the region of 50M including the already deferred amount which he is not going to do and would be crazy to accept. His just waiving the 17M does not help them as he would still be massively over the limit they want to set which plays havoc with their budget for this year and beyond not to mention the ill feeling that would be generated within the squad by having one player earning so much more than everyone else.

Morally Barca owe him the money he deferred but it seems legally they do not. Poor work from his agent but FDJ signed the extension in good faith expecting to stay and is now being squeezed to get out of the club. Laporta claims that he is legally not owed the money which may well be true and further justifies his stance by pointing out Bartomeu was the President who signed off on this and it was tantamount to a poison pill for the incoming administration. Kicking salary they could not pay down the road to make it the problem of the new board.

Despite insisting they do not owe the money it was reported widely early on that they were willing to pay a 3.5M settlement to grease the wheels, this seems to relate mostly to that portion of the deferred wages that qualified as a bonus and the sticking point is the remaining base salary that Frenkie gave up. Our decision to increase the guaranteed money in our offer by 10M was interpreted as a way to assist Barca in negotiating a settlement however there seems little evidence that Barca have done anything of the sort and they seem to be steadfast in their position that they owe nothing.

Something has to give. The money from the two tv rights sales has funded their transfer activity so far and the restructuring of some of their debt but leaves them short of being able to register their current signings and if Frenkie stays the only option to register everyone would be the so called third lever which is to sell 50% of the revenue from Barcelona Studios which they are very reluctant to do. It also only kicks the can down the road for 12 months as under the FFP rules the amount of revenue that can be spent on salaries is reducing over the next couple of years whereas Frenkie's salary number for the 2023/2024 season goes up so that creates an even bigger headache as the deferred money is not spread evenly over the 4 years and his total compensation for that season is supposedly 28M net. They need this wage gone, they also need the transfer fee to fund their pursuit of Silva who Xavi sees as a vital part of his rebuild. They do not want to pay Frenkie the 17M to make this happen, when your financial foundations are built on sand any expenditure should be avoided if at all possible but his agent know this all too well and having had his pants pulled down in the original renegotiation by not including a clause that guaranteed his deferred wages he is playing hardball as much for his own reputation as to get Frenkie his money. Knowing Barca really need this transfer to happen is all the leverage they need, Frenkie is being told to play the good soldier and not complain and I imagine every negotiation that begins without an offer of a 17M settlement is being answered with a one word 'No".
Great summary.

I, however, do believe that this will get settled for less than 17 mil.

Time will tell.

RedRob

"I believe. I believe there will be more. T
If the club can’t find an alternative to De Jong, they should be finding replacement jobs for themselves because they’re incompetent.

No proper club goes all in on just one player who makes/breaks their entire plan for midfield.
So walk me through this:

- ETH has said, "Get me FDJ, he's key to how I want to play."
- United negotiate an agreement for the player, the remaining issues are between him and his current club.
- United set a deadline for this to be resolved by, isn't resolved by this date, United walk away.

Now, to my mind, this means we need to pivot hard and sign a lower-quality player who ETH doesn't know as well and who will therefore take longer to embed. I'm not sure what the benefits are of following this pathway.

I’m not one of the clowns being paid a good sum of money to just say yes to whatever ETH wants.

But sure, it’s Frenkie or bust, let’s just watch McFred start in midfield for yet another season if we fail to get him.
For the third time, who else?

OrcaFat

Great summary.

Time will tell.
Yes probably quite a bit less. Just guessing but a sensible pay-off that acknowledges what he did for the club by agreeing to defer the wages would probably be enough. I said earlier 50% of the £17m might be seen as reasonable.

mu4c_20le

Yes probably quite a bit less. Just guessing but a sensible pay-off that acknowledges what he did for the club by agreeing to defer the wages would probably be enough. I said earlier 50% of the £17m might be seen as reasonable.
Why would he give up money he's entitled to though? He's the only party here who isn't in a hurry.

Gandalf

I agree a compromise is most likely, the only complication within that is like in most antagonistic negotiations there will be a desire from both camps to come out of this looking as though they are the winners. Laporta will not want to give up everything but in order to save money on the settlement he may have to make some public statement to the effect that Frenkie has graciously sacrificed money he deserved for the good of the club so that the player can look magnanimous in his departure and yet Laporta can still spin it as a victory for his approach.

We need an rvn

Great summary.

Time will tell.
Imagine being the agent / lawyer who didn’t think to protect the deferral in the contract renewal. I’d love to be a fly on the wall in a meeting with frenkie and his agent / lawyer now they fecked this up and so the agents are digging in deep to make sure he gets that money and keep him as a client

granted hindsight and it was a case probably not done before (well except pique, Alba etc) bla bla but you pay these guys the money to make sure the money owed gets paid

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Why is it reasonable for him? Although legally that 17m is not his money, but that's what he's supposed to get paid all those years he's been playing. He was willing to get pay cut in good faith that Barca would pay him later in one way or the other.

It could happen if Barca are skint and can't pay, but that's obviously not happen. Not to mention all those bonuses he was promised to get if he stays at Barca, and will be forgo if he moves.

OrcaFat

Why would he give up money he's entitled to though? He's the only party here who isn't in a hurry.
I know what you mean but he isn’t strictly entitled to the money if he leaves (Gandalf’s summary post 39,151 is most useful). Sure, he can just stay but he probably would prefer to resolve this and there probably is a figure that he would accept.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
So yeah, basically what I said FDJ or no one.

Develop one - aka - One we already have.
Yeah thats very true... i think it will be FdJ or no one, but only because ten Hag is very confident that he'll get de Jong.

I think it also depends on how desperate Barca get. If after a couple of weeks, it looks like de Jong isn't going to budge, they might start to worry and just cough up and pay what he's asking. Alternatively, de Jong might get frustrated with not flaying or being used as a backup in an unfavoured position, think it's not worth it anymore and just decide enough is enough, he wants out. It really is who blinks first

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Yeah thats very true... i think it will be FdJ or no one, but only because ten Hag is very confident that he'll get de Jong.

I think it also depends on how desperate Barca get. If after a couple of weeks, it looks like de Jong isn't going to budge, they might start to worry and just cough up and pay what he's asking. Alternatively, de Jong might get frustrated with not flaying or being used as a backup in an unfavoured position, think it's not worth it anymore and just decide enough is enough, he wants out. It really is who blinks first
In my honest opinion I think this is a deadline day deal. They'll pack his bags if they need to.

Barca are reportedly close to signing Kounde, they need to find cash fast.

OrcaFat

Why is it reasonable for him? Although legally that 17m is not his money, but that's what he's supposed to get paid all those years he's been playing. He was willing to get pay cut in good faith that Barca would pay him later in one way or the other.

It could happen if Barca are skint and can't pay, but that's obviously not happen.
I suppose they will negotiate. I don’t know what he’ll accept but as he is not legally due the money, an offer of half is not outlandish. FDJ may hold out for the full £17m but I just think he’ll want to get a decent chunk of it and get out.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I suppose they will negotiate. I don’t know what he’ll accept but as he is not legally due the money, an offer of half is not outlandish. FDJ may hold out for the full £17m but I just think he’ll want to get a decent chunk of it and get out.
If it's true Barca needs his wage to be gone before registering other players, then he's got nothing to worry about.
i don't see why he'd need to accept that negotiated deal.

The key is "if it's true".

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
In my honest opinion I think this is a deadline day deal. They'll pack his bags if they need to.

Barca are reportedly close to signing Kounde, they need to find cash fast.
Nah i doubt that, i don't think Kounde would wait until deadline day if Barca need cash for him to join. He'd just go to Chelsea instead

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Be hilarious when he stays at BCN, Xavi keeps him on the bench, small appearances at CB in meaningless games and his agent starts asking about loan options and transfers next summer and he ends up at a tier 2 club.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Nah i doubt that, i don't think Kounde would wait until deadline day if Barca need cash for him to join. He'd just go to Chelsea instead
They'll likely sign him beforehand and then look to sort out the registration later, be it more levers or selling Frenkie

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Xavi had a talk with De Jong and told him that he has to agree to a salary reduction if he wants to continue at Barca. They both left happy, so it looks like De Jong is willing to do something.

Rob Bowman

Imagine being the agent / lawyer who didn’t think to protect the deferral in the contract renewal. I’d love to be a fly on the wall in a meeting with frenkie and his agent / lawyer now they fecked this up and so the agents are digging in deep to make sure he gets that money and keep him as a client

granted hindsight and it was a case probably not done before (well except pique, Alba etc) bla bla but you pay these guys the money to make sure the money owed gets paid
Oh I am sure it is intense. Do the correct simple thing, then watch Barca twist it and hang you out to dry.

I would be so mad. And even more so because I could see me doing exactly what FDJ did here and getting screwed.

Like I said I expect a settlement, but we shall see :)

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Well that's that then. Hope Iqbal spends the coming weeks watching Frenkie videos.

OrcaFat

If it's true Barca needs his wage to be gone before registering other players, then he's got nothing to worry about.
i don't see why he'd need to accept that negotiated deal.

The key is "if it's true".
Yeah, we don’t know much for certain. But they seem to have broadcasted that they want him to leave and in that case I don’t think he will be very keen to stay apart from to make sure he gets his money. Say they offer £16m, is he going say no to that? I don’t know, but when you consider he will be coming to a manager and club that will pay him well and will build the team around him, he is probably going to listen to sensible offers.

Raiden Shogun

Supports
FC Barca
He isn't legally entitled to it so the club won't be paying it. He's not in a hurry because he doesn't want to leave. Frenkie hasn't even agreed personal terms with United or are we going to say that somehow voids these deferred wages he's owed now? IF he has a case, he can leave and sue us as Neymar tried over the loyalty bonus. This really looks like EtH being confident he can change the players mind with the help of Xavi and Laporta persuading him to go.

Also I wouldn't believe everything the journalists are writing, if Frenkie was really being treated that badly, he's human after all, he'd be gone and suing us. Playing him at CB isn't an insult either, he played the libero sometimes under Koeman and impressed. I think if relations aren't totally broke down between the club and the player, maybe he accepts lower wages to be within the cap. He can see a great new project unfolding at Barca.

Reactions: Sultan

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Xavi had a talk with De Jong and told him that he has to agree to a salary reduction if he wants to continue at Barca. They both left happy, so it looks like De Jong is willing to do something.
Pretty sure theres going to be no salary reduction.
It's been widely reported that he has no intention of doing so. Perhaps they both left happy because they're willing to negotiate on his wages. They don't want to keep him, even if he did take a salary reduction again, i don't think they want him around

Infra-red

Be hilarious when he stays at BCN, Xavi keeps him on the bench, small appearances at CB in meaningless games and his agent starts asking about loan options and transfers next summer and he ends up at a tier 2 club.
He'll get games if he's still there next season. Barca would clearly rather cash in, but if they can pursuade De Jong to take a big paycut, there's every chance he stays and he's too good to be warming the bench.

They are only trying to move him on for economic reasons; it's not the case that he's of no use to them on the pitch.

mu4c_20le

Pretty sure theres going to be no salary reduction.
It's been widely reported that he has no intention of doing so.
It was also widely reported that Kounde was headed to Chelsea, until he wasn't. All I've learned in this trnasfer window is that anything can happen at seemingly any moment, especially when involving barca.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
It was also widely reported that Kounde was headed to Chelsea, until he wasn't. All I've learned in this trnasfer window is that anything can happen at seemingly any moment.
Very true, but i just can't see de Jong staying at Barca.
Suppose stranger things have happened, but you don't treat someone like crap then just say "aaaah it's ok, you can stay if you want, but you have to reduce your salary" for them to turn round and say "Sure, i'd love to play for nothing".
Then again...

Alemar

Xavi had a talk with De Jong and told him that he has to agree to a salary reduction if he wants to continue at Barca.
it’s an interesting modus operandi. You outbid other clubs in terms of salary, the player joins, and then you tell him “listen, bro, you need to accept a salary reduction”

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeah, we don’t know much for certain. But they seem to have broadcasted that they want him to leave and in that case I don’t think he will be very keen to stay apart from to make sure he gets his money. Say they offer £16m, is he going say no to that? I don’t know, but when you consider he will be coming to a manager and club that will pay him well and will build the team around him, he is probably going to listen to sensible offers.
Yeh, that's reasonable. He might get a good signing fee from United to cover that, and maybe a better wage. Or maybe there's some other reluctance where money isn't just the main factor. Moving to United isn't as attractive as before, also.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
“They both left happy”. This is like when my wife is ‘happy’ for me to go for a pint with the boys. It’s a fecking trap Frenkie

NZT-One

I mean yeah it could just be a coincidence that they are in the middle of a contract dispute and the managers decided one of the best midfielders in the world can be shunted in at centre back
One of the worlds best who not a lot of people were talking about for some time. It is the Gavis and Pedris who got the headlines.

"Sign anyone, it'll be an improvement," has been the mindset that's seen us end up with six centre backs, half of whom we don't trust and can't sell. Let's not inflict that on CM too.

He's not, no. But he has said there are alternatives; I just want to know who they are.
Nobody said sign anybody. But you have to realize that we shoot ourselves in the foot by being over reliant on one player. When it is said, that the replacement only needs to be better than McFred than thats only the baseline. Right now, we have McTominay, Fred and VDB. Then we are talking about kids who never played PL football. Bruno and Eriksen are 10s. Even considering them, we have 5 midfielders, we could do with 2 maybe even 3 additions. Going for another midfield player doesn't even have to mean step away from FDJ. But being passively sitting around is bad.

TheReligion

Abusive
It was also widely reported that Kounde was headed to Chelsea, until he wasn't. All I've learned in this trnasfer window is that anything can happen at seemingly any moment, especially when involving barca.
So wait. De Jong wants the £17m deferred wage yet you think there’s every chance he goes ‘ahh feck it Mr Laporta I’ll just take another new contract on even less money. Cheers’

Status
Not open for further replies.