Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Because the club never officially said we were interested in him.

they'd look like mugs if they made an official announcement saying they are no longer interested in frenkie
Ummm I think the knowledge that we've had a deal with Barca agreed for the past month or so is enough proof were in for him.

Plus a brief would be good because it would give us the chance to spin the narrative in our favour. We walked away from the deal due to complexities that couldn't be overcome. That's a whole lot better than we spent ages in for a player then got rejected by them. Still, from all accounts on our end, we're very much still in for him

Plus we'd make no official announcement. A brief is where we tell our trusted journos what to print.

Darlington Padgett

I want to still believe that but the noise around Chelsea from the likes of Mitten, Neville & Redknapp make me unconvinced
If they got Fofana for 70-75m they won't be spending 80m on FDJ. I don't think they'll spend close to 310m in one window without signing a striker.

WPMUFC

Cus no plan B?
No plan B is not the same argument.

"No plan b" is arguing we should've been prepared to ditch the Barca agreement for another player earlier. The argument being made that FDJ-Barca failing in their negotiations is somehow MUFC's fault is frankly delusional reasoning.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
What was Barcalever’s last offer to Frenkie? 7m euros? They are just gonna use the window to get a bidding war going and get as much as they possibly can. Nothing more than gut instinct but I believe FdJ’s choice would be Man Utd under his old coach. It’s a waiting game, but I imagine if we have to match any Chelsea offer late on we’d do it as missing out to Chelsea would be awful press.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
No plan B is not the same argument.

"No plan b" is arguing we should've been prepared to ditch the Barca agreement for another player earlier. The argument being made that FDJ-Barca failing in their negotiations is somehow MUFC's fault, and is frankly delusional reasoning.
Who cares how Barca have fecked up in this transfer or their soul selling levers? I couldn't care less. All I care about is united

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
By both Barcelona and De Jong. I don't know how you cannot see how the player benefits.
Doesn’t make sense fella that’s why. If FDJs number one option is to stay at Barca why does he ‘play’ Utd? How does that help become a reality? He still has to take a cut or leave, they still can’t afford to register their new signings and no amount of stringing Utd along changes any of that.

WPMUFC

Who cares how Barca have fecked up in this transfer or their soul selling levers? I couldn't care less. All I care about is united
you're the one that reply-quoted me to suggest that "we fecked up" because of "no plan b". My point was, going back to my original post, blaming MUFC for FDJ-Barca problems is frankly delusional. Blaming MUFC for not having a plan b or willing to move on a plan b are completely different, and valid, if we don't get FDJ.

i'm not sure what you wanted me to respond with :confused:

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
By both Barcelona and De Jong. I don't know how you cannot see how the player benefits.
But how do you know we've been played? De Jong and his camp have said absolutely nothing at all for about a month and a half.

All the noise has come from Barca and its them just taking the piss to be fair, spewing crap to their mouthpieces and "leaking" information. From what I can see too, based on the lack of full articles, Chelsea have been relatively quiet too. I'm betting most of the stuff regarding them has been leaked or pushed by Barca.

United have done what we expect of them. Agree a fee and let de Jong and Barca sort their issues out. Chelsea have been sniffing for a while, and I imagine Barca are exaggerating their interest in order to try and get United to panic and pay his wages to get him to sign for us. That's my thinking anyway. Yes Chelsea are interested, but they've bigger fish to fry, and with how Barca have screwed them this summer, I don't think dealing with them will be much of a priority

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Seems like the Chelsea story is either a ruse to get United to offer more or ETH/board completely misread De Jong's willingness to come to United. Or both...

SamVimes

Doesn’t make sense fella that’s why. If FDJs number one option is to stay at Barca why does he ‘play’ Utd? How does that help become a reality? He still has to take a cut or leave, they still can’t afford to register their new signings and no amount of stringing Utd along changes any of that.
But he doesn't have to cut or leave, that is the whole point. The guy has a contract with Barcelona, end of. No matter what anybody says he can sit tight and get what he is owed. Barcelona can do all they want but FDJ can sit tight. He has reiterated he wants to stay. Repeatedly.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Do you think DeJong will get booed by Old Trafford if ends up signing for Chelsea ?

Infra-red

Whatever happens, with the La Liga news overnight, at least we’re in the Endgame now.
Barca are screwed and clearly want to sell the player. They'll do everything they can now to force him out.

Unfortunately, it looks like they might end up forcing him straight into the arms of Chelsea, as Boehly is on the tilt after a couple of high-profile transfer defeats and seems determined to gazump us/City/anyone else he can for players.

Stinkypete

They have been pushing the Glazers to invest more in the team and the club for many years. These shares are one step towards realising that. If you don't like what they're doing, then feel free to become a MUST member and make your voice heard.
Its a 1000% better than anything the 1958 think they are doing

TheLord

Do you think DeJong will get booed by Old Trafford if ends up signing for Chelsea ?
No, I wouldn't. He hasn't spoken one disrespectful thing about us, nor has he expressed one public statement of his desire to move to United. Whatever happens behind closed doors is none of my business.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
But he doesn't have to cut or leave, that is the whole point. The guy has a contract with Barcelona, end of. No matter what anybody says he can sit tight and get what he is owed. Barcelona can do all they want but FDJ can sit tight. He has reiterated he wants to stay. Repeatedly.
That still doesn’t explain your assertion that we have been played, or how that benefits the player.

Infra-red

Seems like the Chelsea story is either a ruse to get United to offer more or ETH/board completely misread De Jong's willingness to come to United. Or both...
It seems that Chelsea are convinced that De Jong prefers them to United and Chelsea's main journalists, plus Gary Neville, Andy Mitten and, apparently, 'Arry Redknapp all concur.

To be fair to United/EtH, they couldn't have known Chelsea would come in for the player this late in the day. De Jong might have been more 'open' to United earlier in the summer, when United were the only game in town - that gave United enough encouragement to persist with the saga to this point.

SamVimes

That still doesn’t explain your assertion that we have been played, or how that benefits the player.
Really? You cannot see this? Have a little think about what the selling Club is trying to do in it's current economic situation. Now compare this against that of the player under contract who wants to stay there. And get paid the money he is owed.

fallengt

Sounds like a David Moyes & Fabregas situation. Player keeps saying he's considering it but truth is he's already made up his mind. ETH & FDJ probably ain't even close

We will end up panic buying someone else anyway. Just give it up

Withnail

Really? You cannot see this? Have a little think about what the selling Club is trying to do in it's current economic situation. Now compare this against that of the player under contract who wants to stay there. And get paid the money he is owed.
You're going to have to spell it out because you're not making any sense at all.

Nights

The window doesn't close for another three weeks, I am afraid.
You’d think that Barca would want to register all those expensive toys they’ve assembled over the summer. And the deadline for that is well before the end of the window.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The new Chelsea owner is a motivated buyer.

He's competing against Roman Abramovich who was one of the most successful owners in Premier League history.

He's making a good start. Nice for Chelsea fans to know their owner is ambitious and prepared to spend to get success on the pitch as a priority.
I doubt if he can compete against Abramovich who subsidised the club with a £1 million per week shortfall for nearly 20 years.

Let's see how 'ambition' Boehly is after a few seasons.

NLunited

Where are all those Barça boys? The FFP hammer is coming down and it is fecking glorious.

Laporta is going around with his cap trying to get more players to accept wage cuts. What a goatfecking wanker and what a delusional club.

sglowrider

What is there to misread?

Its not like Frenkie lives behind the Iron Curtain. It just takes a text or a private phone call to find out his intentions. The only option is that Frenkie has been lying to ETH for the past 2 1/2months.

sglowrider

Where are all those Barça boys? The FFP hammer is coming down and it is fecking glorious.

Laporta is going around with his cap trying to get more players to accept wage cuts. What a goatfecking wanker and what a delusional club.
:nono: :nono: Don't drag goats down to his level. Spiders maybe.

sglowrider

How are "we" fecking this up? We agreed the deal with Barca, the problem is FDJ-Barca negotiations. How on earth can any one say MUFC are fecking this up? :lol:
People are too dumb to think so they go with the default kneejerk throwaway lines. Feel embarrassed for them.

sglowrider

Other than the Glazers being protested against and ousted. Nothing will matter.
New owners who put the right people in charge of the club should be the only priority for now.
How do you propose that? How much do you think United is worth for someone to come in and buy from the Glazers?

peridigm

How are "we" fecking this up? We agreed the deal with Barca, the problem is FDJ-Barca negotiations. How on earth can any one say MUFC are fecking this up? :lol:
The only way we’re fecking this up is if we’ve hung on to a string of hope that he would come to us without any concrete assurances. If it’s nothing more than hope, it’s incredibly daft from the board to the manager. We could have moved on to attainable targets. Now, if Frenkie told ETH, don’t worry boss, I will come once my wages are sorted, thats another story. We just don’t know what conversations have taken place. I’m inclined to think we’ve received those assurances since we’re waiting so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.