Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dempsey19

The only little detail that's keeping me hanging on is that we purposely kept the 21 shirt free.

It's miniscule but it's something.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Chelsea's spending is going to be silly by the end of the window. Numbers we can only dream about.
And we're ones coming off a disastrous season. All hopes are on ETH working some magic I guess.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
And we're ones coming off a disastrous season. All hopes are on ETH working some magic I guess.
United has a great team in my opinion its only in the McFred area, the striker position and the RB that United really has issues IMO.

I think 70% of the issue post Fergie is no 'real' manager. The only Manager to me has been Mourinho the rest have been bad appointments. Solskjaer should have never have had a sniff, Moyes obviously.

ETH obviously has a style, he knows how to discipline players, very detail oriented. I personally think 12 months United will be a real threat, but City will continue to dominate and that will always be present IMO because the whole infrastructure there is literally a nation state backing them.

How soon we actually see the changes on the field though is the question mark.

Chelseas spending has been insane, I personally don't know how long Tuchel will be in the job I think you have a new owner and he knows sports he's going to invest heavily. This will be a crazy decade of football now, I feel sorry for other clubs trying to get top 4.

For United they do need to get their act together now with Newcastle too Saudi will literally bank roll them to top 4. I pray that United have made the right calls now..

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
United has a great team in my opinion its only in the McFred area, the striker position and the RB that United really has issues IMO.

I think 70% of the issue post Fergie is no 'real' manager. The only Manager to me has been Mourinho the rest have been bad appointments. Solskjaer should have never have had a sniff, Moyes obviously.

ETH obviously has a style, he knows how to discipline players, very detail oriented. I personally think 12 months United will be a real threat, but City will continue to dominate and that will always be present IMO because the whole infrastructure there is literally a nation state backing them.

Chelseas spending has been insane, I personally don't know how long Tuchel will be in the job I think you have a new owner and he knows sports he's going to invest heavily. This will be a crazy decade of football now, I feel sorry for other clubs trying to get top 4.

For United they do need to get their act together now with Newcastle too Saudi will literally bank roll them to top 4. I pray that United have made the right calls now..
You have forgotten about Arsenal. They have spent massively the past 2-3 seasons. Or do you think they flatter to deceive?

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
You have forgotten about Arsenal. They have spent massively the past 2-3 seasons. Or do you think they flatter to deceive?
I'm not a huge fan of Arteta honestly but they're a big club obviously I don't think with Arsenal the owners are going to compete with the others still. Kroenke is a businessman and I don't really think he cares too much really, Arsenal gets attraction because they're London based. This summer they've made some very good buys but I don't think Arsenal will compete with Liverpool or City for that matter right now.

I think Spurs are better right now, especially under Conte.

My main fears honestly is over this decade United can't just slip away though. City, Newcastle will be mammoths Saudi will pour billions into making Newcastle a superpower because of the oil states: Qatar (PSG) , Saudi (Newcastle), UAE (Man City) it's a PR campaign for them. I lived in Dubai for 6 years and you see how they invest in infrastructure in general they don't really have to limit spending because the money literally comes out of the ground. It's a way for them to get tourists to the countries, Etihad and Emirates owned by the Sheikhs literally have a way to brand the stadiums (Etihad and Emirates respectively) so the names everywhere and then you fly with the airlines and you have to stop over in the UAE so they've done really well. Tourists flock to Dubai now.

Newcastle under Saudi will do the same, they're opening more to tourists now and the majority (historically) was for Haaj (the religious pilgrimage) now they want to cater to more people. So the Newcastle buy (they wanted United) will be a way to do that. They'll throw billions into infrastructure making Newcastle a huge team, sponsoring themselves like City did effectively. I can pretty much guarantee they'll want Saudi Airlines to compete with Emirates and Etihad too because they want to prepare for post-oil economies and football is a great way to get exposure for people to visit. Watch the next decade unfold, who sponsors Newcastle, what the stadium will be called. It's completely PR and advertising for the state. So Newcastle will be a huge team this coming decade IMO.

It kills sport and it's sad but money is money of course.

They will be a Man City and go beyond what Chelsea have done IMO, getting Madison for them is just the start of drawing the next tier of players to them. No real assurances over Liverpool because when Klopp goes I think it'll be hard for them to replace him as a manager but the next decade you have what? City, Newcastle, Chelsea, United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs.

7 teams for the top 4, the Premier League will be beyond difficult. I genuinely hope Murtough, the Glazers can make the right decisions and ETH I hope can restore the club to be challenging because rivals won't stand still for sure.

As a United fan for my entire life I just really don't want another decade of the same, because it's not a two horse race anymore, it's going to be a six horse race.

Last edited:

sglowrider

I'm not a huge fan of Arteta honestly but they're a big club obviously I don't think with Arsenal the owners are going to compete with the others still. Kroenke is a businessman and I don't really think he cares too much really, Arsenal gets attraction because they're London based. This summer they're made some very good buys but I don't think Arsenal will compete with Liverpool or City for that matter right now.

My main fears honestly is over this decade United can't just slip away though. City, Newcastle will be mammoths Saudi will pour billions into making Newcastle a superpower because of the oil states: Qatar (PSG) , Saudi (Newcastle), UAE (Man City) it's a PR campaign for them and a way for them to get tourists to the countries. So they'll throw billions into infrastructure, sponsoring themselves like City did effectively.

Newcastle will be a Man City and go beyond what Chelsea have done IMO, getting Madison for them is just the start of drawing the next tier of players to them. No real assurances over Liverpool because when Klopp goes I think it'll be hard for them to replace him as a manager but the next decade you have what? City, Newcastle, Chelsea, United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs.

7 teams for the top 4, the Premier League will be beyond difficult. I genuinely hope Murtough, the Glazers can make the right decisions and ETH I hope can restore the club to be challenging because rivals won't stand still for sure.
I just don't think we can get any worst in terms of wastage of financial resources like in incompatibility of managers and the transfer strategy. The inconsistency of performances from season to season has been very poor.
We have hit the bottom in terms of poor organisational structure, strategy (or the lack of) and footballing investment --- and are applying lessons learnt from it going forward.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I just don't think we can get any worst in terms of wastage of financial resources like in incompatibility of managers and the transfer strategy. The inconsistency of performances from season to season has been very poor.
We have hit the bottom in terms of poor organisational structure, strategy (or the lack of) and footballing investment --- and are applying lessons learnt from it going forward.
We'd hope so, I think United got way too complacent under SAF though. Probably the best manager in history, he knew how to take an average player and get them winning leagues in the final years. Just insane really how good he was.

Marcus

To be honest, as United have no divine right to be successful, I just hope we can remain competitive even without the backing of oil rich states. Liverpool (ouch) is an example of what other clubs can do without the same amount of money but with an excellent manager which has the support of the hierarchy. If your team plays well, your players are worth more and it is easier to sell and replace. Oops back to Frankie. I am staying the course. He will come.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Frankie is ours. And if he isn't then fek him anyway. We go again.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality

By the quote Romano gave of the presser today it really makes you seem like it's waiting to be announced, even though he says Chelsea are interested and he doesn't want to leave. The phrase "when there's news we will announce it" is always a loaded gun in transfers.

TheLord

I'm not a huge fan of Arteta honestly but they're a big club obviously I don't think with Arsenal the owners are going to compete with the others still. Kroenke is a businessman and I don't really think he cares too much really, Arsenal gets attraction because they're London based. This summer they've made some very good buys but I don't think Arsenal will compete with Liverpool or City for that matter right now.

My main fears honestly is over this decade United can't just slip away though. City, Newcastle will be mammoths Saudi will pour billions into making Newcastle a superpower because of the oil states: Qatar (PSG) , Saudi (Newcastle), UAE (Man City) it's a PR campaign for them. I lived in Dubai for 6 years and you see how they invest in infrastructure in general they don't really have to limit spending because the money literally comes out of the ground. It's a way for them to get tourists to the countries, Etihad and Emirates owned by the Sheikhs literally have a way to brand the stadiums (Etihad and Emirates respectively) so the names everywhere and then you fly with the airlines and you have to stop over in the UAE so they've done really well. Tourists flock to Dubai now.

Newcastle under Saudi will do the same, they're opening more to tourists now and the majority (historically) was for Haaj (the religious pilgrimage) now they want to cater to more people. So the Newcastle buy (they wanted United) will be a way to do that. They'll throw billions into infrastructure making Newcastle a huge team, sponsoring themselves like City did effectively. I can pretty much guarantee they'll want Saudi Airlines to compete with Emirates and Etihad too because they want to prepare for post-oil economies and football is a great way to get exposure for people to visit. Watch the next decade unfold, who sponsors Newcastle, what the stadium will be called. It's completely PR and advertising for the state. So Newcastle will be a huge team this coming decade IMO.

It kills sport and it's sad but money is money of course.

They will be a Man City and go beyond what Chelsea have done IMO, getting Madison for them is just the start of drawing the next tier of players to them. No real assurances over Liverpool because when Klopp goes I think it'll be hard for them to replace him as a manager but the next decade you have what? City, Newcastle, Chelsea, United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs.

As a United fan for my entire life I just really don't want another decade of the same, because it's not a two horse race anymore, it's going to be a six horse race.
Very good post. Another story of Liverpool falling into an abyss for 20 long years and then coming back to relive their glory may not happen again.

With all the money being thrown around, the gulf between the really successful clubs and the average club will be too humungous.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I’m trying to count which word or phrase has been used the most in this thread, I think the heavy hitters are:
  • Levers
  • Embarrassing
  • Walk away
Have I missed anything?

• "I think"
  • "I imagine"
  • "I feel"
  • "I guess"
  • "It seems like"
  • "Apparently"
  • "Read between the lines"
  • "Personal Relationship"
  • "Assurances"
  • "Confident"
  • "Doomers"
  • "Negative"

Last edited:

sglowrider

We'd hope so, I think United got way too complacent under SAF though. Probably the best manager in history, he knew how to take an average player and get them winning leagues in the final years. Just insane really how good he was.
Woodward basically stumbled into the position and lucked out. Rode on the coat-tail of the success of Gill & SAF and then proceeded not to learn anything from what made the pair successful. Then arrogantly thought he could just do it his way thinking that commercial success was more critical than footballing success.

WPMUFC

By the quote Romano gave of the presser today it really makes you seem like it's waiting to be announced, even though he says Chelsea are interested and he doesn't want to leave. The phrase "when there's news we will announce it" is always a loaded gun in transfers.
That's the quote of a man that is "FDJ or Bust" :drool: :devil:

But in all seriousness, there is no way ETH makes such a positive comment like that if we are about to move to Plan B. He definitely thinks it's still on.

WPMUFC

also watch for the follow up...ETH is "FDJ or Bust", he's asked if he can stomach not getting FDJ by the end of the window and his response goes straight on to "developing the players we have".

He's got one target and he really doesn't want to think beyond that. Based off those comments, i'd be quite surprised if there are any "real' plan b's. There may be a list, but i'm not under the impression we are going to push very hard to sign them on deadline day. Possibly if they are really cheap? But none of the usual suspects that are thrown around in here will be cheap.

FDJ....or it will be McFred + squad players fighting for midfield spots.

Last edited:

Rajma

Do you think DeJong will get booed by Old Trafford if ends up signing for Chelsea ?
No, why? It’s our manager and the people above him that fecked us over (again) with their planning skills for the season. It’s laughable to say that no alternatives exist (e.g. Ruiz, etc.) that would be capable of strengthening our paper-thin midfield, we should have moved on ages ago, now watch desperation and panic creep in and we’ll do what we do best here overpay for someone like Neves (who’s average) massively.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Cheery in here overnight wasn’t it… :rolleyes:

Lighten up you feckers.

1) It’s not that important.. like, in the grand scheme of things.. it doesn’t actually matter.
2) The footballs back
3) It’s Frenkie Friday in 6 days

GreatDane

No, why? It’s our manager and the people above him that fecked us over (again) with their planning skills for the season. It’s laughable to say that no alternatives exist (e.g. Ruiz, etc.) that would be capable of strengthening our paper-thin midfield, we should have moved on ages ago, now watch desperation and panic creep in and we’ll do what we do best here overpay for someone like Neves (who’s average) massively.
How have they fecked us? It's been said more times than one that it's the right players in or no players in.
I'm happy with that, better use and develop what we have and wait for the right players so we don't end up with more deadwood in two years time.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Cheery in here overnight wasn’t it… :rolleyes:

Lighten up you feckers.

1) It’s not that important.. like, in the grand scheme of things.. it doesn’t actually matter.
2) The footballs back
3) It’s Frenkie Friday in 6 days
True. Friday is the 12th. And what do you get when you switch the two digits in 12?
Exactly 21.
QED.

Castia

This 'It has to be the right player' is suddenly getting quoted in every conference he does and in general he's right, there's no point signing a player that wont fit his system or style of play...

But our midfield is so poor and lacking in quality and depth that there must be a list of 20+ players who could come in and be better than what we have. You're not telling me McTominay 'is the right player' either yet will start 40 games this season.

Getting big 'no value in the market' vibes this summer I think we're fecking broke.

Rajma

This 'it has to be the right player' is suddenly getting quoted in every conference he does and in general he's right, there's no point signing a player that wont fit his system or style of play...

But our midfield is so poor and lacking in quality and depth that there must be a list of 20+ players who could come in and be better than what we have. You're not telling me McTominay 'is the right player' either yet will start 40 games this season.

Getting big 'no value in the market' vibes this summer I think we're fecking broke.
This. People falling for it still surprises me though, it’s piss poor planning given the state of our midfield.

christinaa

Gossip Girl

Isn't the first sentence about our team bad enough!

Siorac

United has a great team in my opinion its only in the McFred area, the striker position and the RB that United really has issues IMO
So we only have issues in defence, midfield, and attack.

But other than that, it's a great team.

Acquire Me

Chelsea believe FdJ will choose them over us. It’s going to end in tears for them. Frenkie will join us or stay at Barcelona. It is no doubt about that lads.

Happy Frenkie Day :devil:

No but he’s in for someone who can play in that deeper position and improve us massively. But we’re not getting him so where are the other choices?
We’ll see once the Frenkie mess is resolved won’t we?
But you said we haven’t strengthened our midfield, we have.
We haven’t strengthened our deep midfield so far, absolutely. But don’t make the mistake of thinking Ten Hag wants a specialist DM.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

Endgame. They HAVE to sell him in the next week
Would be naturally delighted for us to sign him. But the scenario in which de Jong pulls Di Caprio am not leaving act and absolutely screws Barcelona is also kind of acceptable in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.