Frenkie de Jong | The last muppeting lap

Frenkie to United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

OrcaFat

Reading between the lines, this may be Barca gently letting there fans know that Bernardo Silva might not be coming after all. As the FDJ move was directly linked to Silva coming in, it may be the case that FDJ is adamant he is staying at Barca, as are other players they want to shift from the wagebill and they cant afford him.

Staying at Barca is lesser of two evils than joining Chelsea from our perspective.
Or they can’t afford Silva even if they do sell FDJ.

lex talionis

Probably just paranoia on my part, but I have a feeling Frenkie wants to see how we perform this weekend before giving his agent the green light to wrap this up.

Acquire Me

Mitten saying that the Chelsea owner is playing FM and that you can’t rule them out just because of that. What Frenkie want only he himself know. We will get him.

Orange Tree

We should be all over Gavi. Start contacting his agent and promise a deal for next season.

Loony BoB

Bloody hell, what a meltdown we've had since I last checked the thread! Here's my take on literally anything regardless of what the tweets come up saying:

- if he'd rather join Chelsea, it won't matter if we pay his deferred wages or not.
- our team remains under the impression based on information from FDJ's team that there's still a chance.
- Barca absolutely are wanting to sell FDJ to free up cashbso they can register players, which they must do by the 13th at the very latest
- United are quite calmly and patiently waiting until the 13th to see what happens, and will take action for other signings if we don't get him by then (because if we don't get him either FDJ will still be at Barca and they will have found cash some other way, and thus FDJ will happily remain at Barca, or else he'll move to Chelsea).
- no matter what the tweets say, it's all designed to pressure Barca to pay up and let him leave, or to put pressure on FDJ. But FDJ is a registered player so has NO pressure to rush this, unlike Barca who have MASSIVE pressure to register players by the 13th. So with that in mind, it means it's all either from FDJ side to pressure Barca, or Barca side to save face. Nothing else. No need for pressure on any other party.

Everyone except Barca is calmly waiting until the 13th with zero pressure outside of some neurotic muppets who can't handle the wait.

Mr Smith

We should be all over Gavi. Start contacting his agent and promise a deal for next season.
Nowhere near the same incentive for Barca to sell him compared to De Jong. Gavi is a young academy player on low wages with a high ceiling, De Jong is on insane wages and they'd love to get them off the books.

Loony BoB

Gavi isn't going anywhere. I think Barca are just saying this because now they failed to register their players. If they had got away with it, they would have replaced FDJ with Silva using finds from FDJ sale. Instead, those funds are needed to register the players they already bought, leaving nothing for Silva. It's all face-saving.

DevilRed

Gavi isn't going anywhere. I think Barca are just saying this because now they failed to register their players. If they had got away with it, they would have replaced FDJ with Silva using finds from FDJ sale. Instead, those funds are needed to register the players they already bought, leaving nothing for Silva. It's all face-saving.
They replaced FDJ with kessie, gavi etc.

silva is just them being the fecking financially irresponsible idiots they are.

Rolaholic

Inappropriate Content
UEFA need to investigate those rent boys, FFP being made a mockery of

Cloud7

Do they even need Bernardo Silva? He is a fantastic player but where do they fit him in? Both their midfield and attack seem in a good position in terms of numbers and quality

(...)

Supports
Arsenal
Do they even need Bernardo Silva? He is a fantastic player but where do they fit him in? Both their midfield and attack seem in a good position in terms of numbers and quality
Pedri is the only creative midfielder in the team, they badly need someone like Bernardo Silva if they want to compete. It was painful to watch them without Pedri last season and FdJ not stepping up to play that role is probably what made Xavi giving up on him.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
If Chelsea were going to sign him it would already be a lot more concrete than just “interested”

Nothing stopping them from agreeing a deal with Barca. It’s a bluff IMO

Barca heavily under pressure with registrations of players etc.
It very well could be a bluff.

Thanks to the Chelsea people we have a pretty good way of knowing in advance though. We told Barca we would not submit a formal bid for the player until the player himself not only gives the green light that he will leave Barcelona, but that he also gives the green light he would want to go to Chelsea.

My ears perked up at some of these rumblings, but I haven’t seen anything that says we launched a formal bid. Which means there has been no green light. Which means nothing has changed.

I think Chelsea’s approach to this has been smart: let the team and player know you would of course have interest, but until he comes and says “yes, I’d like to come play for Chelsea” just go about your other business and act like nothings changed. Essentially a “we’ll believe it when we see it approach”

I don’t know about Romanos gut, but mine is telling me “nice guy”, “players coach” Xavi and others have been spreading the “we definitely want you here, it’s just these darn FFP rules” ona little thick. If Frenkie thinks one more lever and his spot at Barca is possible, then he’s going to stick to his guns about staying , and if he’s staying no more “don’t worry, we will pay you at later”; he will keep his contract as he signed it thank you very much.

For this to go anywhere, Xavi is going to have to say “you will not play for this team” He knows he is good enough that if he survives through this window they will end up playing him. Jordi is probably is sending mixed messages by telling him he needs to be a Barca player … all he needs to do is give in on money.

He may even be considering it, who knows. Until they got denied their registration bid, there was an outside chance he could have stayed without giving in on his contract. That option didn’t change until yesterday. Now that he knows for sure he’d have to excuse the money to stay …. Maybe he does.

ForeverRed1

It very well could be a bluff.

Thanks to the Chelsea people we have a pretty good way of knowing in advance though. We told Barca we would not submit a formal bid for the player until the player himself not only gives the green light that he will leave Barcelona, but that he also gives the green light he would want to go to Chelsea.

My ears perked up at some of these rumblings, but I haven’t seen anything that says we launched a formal bid. Which means there has been no green light. Which means nothing has changed.

I think Chelsea’s approach to this has been smart: let the team and player know you would of course have interest, but until he comes and says “yes, I’d like to come play for Chelsea” just go about your other business and act like nothings changed. Essentially a “we’ll believe it when we see it approach”

I don’t know about Romanos gut, but mine is telling me “nice guy”, “players coach” Xavi and others have been spreading the “we definitely want you here, it’s just these darn FFP rules” ona little thick. If Frenkie thinks one more lever and his spot at Barca is possible, then he’s going to stick to his guns about staying , and if he’s staying no more “don’t worry, we will pay you at later”; he will keep his contract as he signed it thank you very much.

For this to go anywhere, Xavi is going to have to say “you will not play for this team” He knows he is good enough that if he survives through this window they will end up playing him. Jordi is probably is sending mixed messages by telling him he needs to be a Barca player … all he needs to do is give in on money.

He may even be considering it, who knows. Until they got denied their registration bid, there was an outside chance he could have stayed without giving in on his contract. That option didn’t change until yesterday. Now that he knows for sure he’d have to excuse the money to stay …. Maybe he does.
Even if he stays he has the two generational talents they have coming through, busquets and kessie to compete with in midfield. He won’t get as much game time as he’d like in a World Cup year. Does Chelsea need him? We all know we really do need him, he’d be the player we build our whole team around, our issue is no CL. That’s why he could easily go Chelsea

Superden

Chelsea get FDJ, Citeh lose Silva to Barca, we get Gavi and McFred end up at St Mirren.
HERE WE GO!

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I'm not sure I understand the Chelsea fascination from Frenkie. Is it a London desire?

Chelsea have hardly been more consistent in making the CL than we have in the past few years.
London certainly helps, but you've got to remember, de Jong was born in 1997. He, like a lot of players from his generation, did not grow up watching United's success in the 2000's. They are used to seeing the likes of Chelsea, City, liverpool win, not united. Its no wonder Chelsea has that draw over United, a club that hasnt won anything in the last 5 years, no PL for 10 years and no CL since 2008.

cyberman

London certainly helps, but you've got to remember, de Jong was born in 1997. He, like a lot of players from his generation, did not grow up watching United's success in the 2000's. They are used to seeing the likes of Chelsea, City, liverpool win, not united. Its no wonder Chelsea has that draw over United, a club that hasnt won anything in the last 5 years, no PL for 10 years and no CL since 2008.
We last won the title 9 years ago. We aren’t signing a 12 year old here!

Chief123

Ey? From the age of 7-15 he would have seen Utd win everything. Including some potential idols in Van Nistelrooy, Van Persie and even when FDJ had aspirations of being a GK, he had Van Der Saar.

RedOrange

I really doubt De Jong is desperate enough to stay at Barca if they want rid of him this badly. They were always going to wait until their deadline to register players both to put pressure on Frenkie and to maximize the chance of getting multiple bidders.

If he hints at all that he's not willing to sit on the bench for a year to get the money he's owed, then Barca know they don't have to pay him to get rid of him. I don't doubt Barca's willingness to waste a full year of a player's career out of spite but it doesn't seem like they can afford to do that.

It does seem like a lot of effort and brinksmanship for something like €17m, especially when they're getting about €90m for the transfer and a few hundred more in wages off the books over the next 3 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.